Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
Oh wow. I'm watching the Transformer 3 riff and two things are obvious:

Shia LeBoef's character is nauseating - like, all opinions of the actor aside he's an amazingly unpleasant lead.

And, the voices of the robots are so over the top I honestly can't tell sometimes if it's a riffer making a joke or actual dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Silentgoldfish posted:

Oh wow. I'm watching the Transformer 3 riff and two things are obvious:

Shia LeBoef's character is nauseating - like, all opinions of the actor aside he's an amazingly unpleasant lead.

And, the voices of the robots are so over the top I honestly can't tell sometimes if it's a riffer making a joke or actual dialogue.

It took me three god drat days just to watch the rifftrax for that. Not even rifftrax made it so I could watch it in one sitting. I'm having a similar problem with ID4 right now.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Akileese posted:

It took me three god drat days just to watch the rifftrax for that. Not even rifftrax made it so I could watch it in one sitting. I'm having a similar problem with ID4 right now.

I'm having that problem with Abraxas. I'm loving the riffing but the movie is so bad. And I've watched Setting Up A Room like four times!

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I avoided Transformers 3 until the riff came out, and christ that movie is insulting to the audience and the characters. The Autobots let Chicago get attacked and thousands of people die just to prove the point that humans need them and the Decepticons will never go away. Then they murder a bunch of Decepticons in cold blood, many injured and begging for mercy.

Michael Bay had the pure loving balls to invoke 9/11 imagery in this piece of horseshit, and seemed to think it would come off patriotic. This really was the final 'gently caress you' to any fans of the original franchise.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I had that problem with the rifftrax of HP: Order of the Phoenix.

It's not that it's a horrible movie, it's just that that evil woman who serves as the replacement to Dumbledore gets on my nerves so much that I have to turn it off. I mean, that's sort of their intent, but they did too good of a job.

Still haven't worked up the effort to watch the riffs of Transformers 2 or 3.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Silentgoldfish posted:

The bit where his (non-Transformer) car gets caught on the security bollards and he just sits there and literally screams for about five solid seconds is utterly :wtc: . Seriously? This is our hero? Movie, I demand to see your supervisor!

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Payndz posted:

The bit where his (non-Transformer) car gets caught on the security bollards and he just sits there and literally screams for about five solid seconds is utterly :wtc: . Seriously? This is our hero? Movie, I demand to see your supervisor!

"His career summed up in five seconds."

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Payndz posted:

Mother fucker, I cannot believe I actually watched this on my screen as that poo poo went on. Did someone look at the previous movies and decided, "No. He needs to be...douche-baggier. MORE."

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tae posted:

Mother fucker, I cannot believe I actually watched this on my screen as that poo poo went on. Did someone look at the previous movies and decided, "No. He needs to be...douche-baggier. MORE."
That was one of the few times where Rosie Whatserface seemed to be genuinely emoting. If you look at her while LaBoeuf is screaming his head off, her expression is pure "What. The. gently caress?" :stare:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
T3 was just so loving terrible in this special Michael Bay way, it was difficult to watch even with the rifftrax. I posted a few kind words in the is it really that bad? thread, but I'm sure everyone already knows the drill by now.
Just typing the above made me want to watch this a few times

The other two I recently watched are "Island of Dr. Moreau" and "Laser Mission", both of which I thought were solid riffs and can be recommended. I've been meaning to ask though, is that Nick Nolte that they're constantly referencing throughout the different riffs? If not, who is it then, and if so, why? The first few times I thought it was McNulty (of the Wire, would make sense with the alcohol references), but it doesn't sound likely any more.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Just so you guys know, you can get a riff that's compatible with the new player for free right now when you download said player.

And it's OSX compatible!

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Just so you guys know, you can get a riff that's compatible with the new player for free right now when you download said player.

And it's OSX compatible!

Oh poo poo, thanks man! Go to hell, my previous plans for the rest of the night!

Also, I'm glad they fixed the player so I can stop being a dick who buys riffs the day they get released and then waits 3 days to download a synced file because I'm a huge loving babby and can never sync that poo poo myself. For Transformers 3, I opened up two instances of VLC like a jackass and then had to resync every time I got up to go to the bathroom.

fake edit: Checking through the list of free riffs to choose from and I'm fairly sure The Bourne Identity is the only riff here I haven't seen.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Locutus of Bald posted:

fake edit: Checking through the list of free riffs to choose from and I'm fairly sure The Bourne Identity is the only riff here I haven't seen.

I have the opposite problem. The only riffs I have seen on that list is Birdemic and Inception. I have no idea what to pick! :ohdear:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
On my 4th attempt to watch Transformers 3.

I'm loving how ruthless they are, but poo poo, this movie insufferable.

And I watched Buffalo Rider in one sitting.

e: I'm watching Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.

Can anyone who reads/watches this poo poo and actually cares explain why the bad guy, Snape, was hanging out with Volemort and Harry fought him in the last movie, but now no one remembers any of that and he's still teaching at the school in the obviously-evil "defense of the dark arts" position?

Which is where the villain of every movie was working.

Did I hallucinate him being the villain, or did literally no one making this movie notice it?

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 8, 2011

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Once you get to that scene with Shockwave and the whole collapsing building, then you suddenly realize there's still 45 minutes left. It has to be the hardest movie I've ever attempted to watch in one sitting.

Independence Day is also pretty tough being two and a half loving hours long.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Transformers is so weird, because it's impossible to sit through yet makes billions of dollars :psyduck:

And ID4 is the perfect length and a goddamn American classic :colbert: :911:

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Can anyone who reads/watches this poo poo and actually cares explain why the bad guy, Snape, was hanging out with Volemort and Harry fought him in the last movie, but now no one remembers any of that and he's still teaching at the school in the obviously-evil "defense of the dark arts" position?

Did I hallucinate him being the villain, or did literally no one making this movie notice it?

Hahaha, I have this exact same problem. Same thing with that blond evil/jerk boy's dad. He's clearly evil, hangs around with Rhinoplasty-zebub, yet no questions asked.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 8, 2011

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Double post

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
ID4 is the best movie ever made and Mike Nelson should be ashamed of making fun of it.

:colbert:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Tony Danza Claus posted:

I've not read the books, but in the first part of Deathly Hallows they say how they have someone deep in the organization. That person later becomes the Minster of Magic after the previous one is killed. They also make Harry something like the FBI's most wanted. They're in control of the government of wizards so to speak. Plus, no one besides Harry and all the Death Eaters saw Dumbledor get killed. They know that Death Eaters did it, but not exactly who I imagine.

EDIT: Is there a Harry Potter thread that's active now? I have my own questions about Harry Potter and I don't want to derail the Rifftrax thread about. (Like why Voldermort calls Harry's mom a muggle).

IUG fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 8, 2011

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Tony Danza Claus posted:

It's hard to remember, having read the books, what the movies leave out. It can be bad, and Order of the Phoenix had the worst pacing of any of the movies.

Harry saw Snape with Voldemort in Goblet of Fire, the fourth. It's explained in Order of the Phoenix that Snape is a double agent for Dumbledore at great risk to himself. It's a point of contention between Harry and Dumbledore through Half-Blood Prince, and we see what happens there. Harry learns the truth behind the whole backstory in Deathly Hallows.

That's pretty much it. If you're really interested, read the books. That's where the actual story is. Half-Blood Prince may be my favorite of the movies, though, just for some wonderful pacing and ambiance. And subtlety, dear god, actual subtlety in one of these movies.

EDIT: Harry Potter thread is in Book Barn, IUG. Voldemort should probably call Lily a mudblood, the same as they call for Hermione, but for such a hardline racist, the two are kind of interchangeable.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

IUG posted:

EDIT: Is there a Harry Potter thread that's active now? I have my own questions about Harry Potter and I don't want to derail the Rifftrax thread about. (Like why Voldermort calls Harry's mom a muggle).

He did? When? You mean mudblood?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Practical Demon posted:

It's hard to remember, having read the books, what the movies leave out. It can be bad, and Order of the Phoenix had the worst pacing of any of the movies.

Harry saw Snape with Voldemort in Goblet of Fire, the fourth. It's explained in Order of the Phoenix that Snape is a double agent for Dumbledore at great risk to himself. It's a point of contention between Harry and Dumbledore through Half-Blood Prince, and we see what happens there. Harry learns the truth behind the whole backstory in Deathly Hallows.

That's pretty much it. If you're really interested, read the books. That's where the actual story is. Half-Blood Prince may be my favorite of the movies, though, just for some wonderful pacing and ambiance. And subtlety, dear god, actual subtlety in one of these movies.

EDIT: Harry Potter thread is in Book Barn, IUG. Voldemort should probably call Lily a mudblood, the same as they call for Hermione, but for such a hardline racist, the two are kind of interchangeable.
Also Defense of Dark arts is not evil Lupin taught it. Everyone thought that if Dumbeldore thought you were trustworthy then you were.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'll ask in that thread (tomorrow after I sleep) again, as to not derail. But no, I'm Goblet of Fire in the graveyard scene he calls her a muggle. Watched it again to confirm it the other day.

Rifftrax question that I had that no one answered before: do the Rifftrax for the Star Wars blurays still sync up with the new changes?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
A technical question re: Blu-rays - should you use the NTSC riff whatever region you're in? I noticed that the UK Transformers 3 BR had a different (longer) running time than the DVD, which I'm guessing is down to BRs not being affected by the differences in frame rate between PAL and NTSC.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Just watched the Birdemic: Shock and Terror. Great riffing, terrible, terrible movie. made me want to become a climate change denier.

RandolphCarter fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 9, 2011

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

RandolphCarter posted:

Just watched the Birdemic: Shock and Terror. Great riffing, terrible, terrible movie. made me want to become a climate change denier.

Climate deniers, such as seals.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
Man the riff for The last Airbender is fantastic.

"Such as the water under the ocean".

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Pooned posted:

Man the riff for The last Airbender is fantastic.

"Such as the water under the ocean".

It's fantastic.

"The Daily Show's senior 'Taking A Role For The Paycheck' correspondent."

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Finally made it through Transformers 3 on day three. God drat was it a slog. The Rifftrax barely helped.

It's been a long time since I've seen a movie that was just plain mean-spirited. The villains are barely competent, the good guys are all complete assholes that let a huge city be destroyed to prove a point, and there's Shia and not-Megan Fox in the middle of it.

And it goes on forever. I don't remember why they initially went to Chicago, what happened before that, or really anything except that there was a Transformer on the moon.

This movie gave somebody in my town permanent brain damage, and that's the best review I can give.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I'm honestly beginning to wonder if Bay makes his human characters so horribly, despicably unlikable on purpose to make the giant CGI robots seem noble and interesting in comparison. I'm pretty sure he just tells all his human actors to take his scenes full of inappropriate racial, sexual, and scatological "humor" and crank up the scenery chewing to 11 (or in Shia's case, 23) so that he can finally fulfill his dream of a talking robot Oscar winner for Best Actor.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

A friend and I were watching the first one, as I always said that was the one that was halfway close to decent. We got to the drat being raided and we just gave up, even with the Rifftrax. I remember watching the second movie back when it just came out on DVD or something, and me and my girlfriend at the time just could barely endure that movie. I can't/can believe they're making a 4th.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

IUG posted:

I can't/can believe they're making a 4th.

God is dead.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Universe Master posted:

I'm honestly beginning to wonder if Bay makes his human characters so horribly, despicably unlikable on purpose to make the giant CGI robots seem noble and interesting in comparison. I'm pretty sure he just tells all his human actors to take his scenes full of inappropriate racial, sexual, and scatological "humor" and crank up the scenery chewing to 11 (or in Shia's case, 23) so that he can finally fulfill his dream of a talking robot Oscar winner for Best Actor.
Nah, because none of the robots even have a character. Optimus spouts platitudes/psychotic outbursts, Bumblebee mugs like a bad mime, and I don't think any of the other Autobots had more than a dozen lines over all three movies. The one who talks the most is probably loving Wheelie.

Bay needs to get actual goddamn writers to do his scripts rather than whatever twentysomething flavours of the moment with good agents are pushed in front of him. Nobody's going to hold up the first Bad Boys or The Rock as masterpieces of cinema (and I love The Rock), but they had solid plots and characters with personality and motivation, and had been developed over years rather than being thrown together in a couple of months to meet a pre-decided release date.

The human characters being so horrible might, just maaaaybe, be because Michael Bay is also a horrible person and he thinks that's normal. Which makes the whiny, screaming, angry, entitled, arrogant, prickish Sam of TF3 even worse because he's possibly Bay's avatar.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
Getting reminded that the same guy that made The rock (best action movie ever made) and Crimson Tide also made Transformers 3 :confused:

Edit: Oh my god how did i get those wrong.

Pooned fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 11, 2011

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Pooned posted:

Getting reminded that the same guy that made The rock (best action movie ever made) and Crimson Tide also made Transformers 3 :confused:
Crimson Tide was Tony Scott, not Bay. (It and The Rock were both produced by Don Simpson and Jerry Bruckheimer, though.)

Actually, you know what's really worrying? Don Simpson may have been the factor that made Bay's first two movies infinitely better than his others. Don loving Simpson. He may have been a paranoid, drug-hoovering rear end in a top hat who called in focus groups of Teamsters to choose his female stars on the basis of their "fuckability", but at least he spent time developing scripts.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Payndz posted:

Crimson Tide was Tony Scott, not Bay. (It and The Rock were both produced by Don Simpson and Jerry Bruckheimer, though.)

Actually, you know what's really worrying? Don Simpson may have been the factor that made Bay's first two movies infinitely better than his others. Don loving Simpson. He may have been a paranoid, drug-hoovering rear end in a top hat who called in focus groups of Teamsters to choose his female stars on the basis of their "fuckability", but at least he spent time developing scripts.

This is accurate. Bruckheimer without Simpson or an artsy type = poo poo. Bay without Bruckheimer = unspeakable poo poo.

But Bay + Bruckheimer + Simpson = gold.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
They've just released the Plan 9 From Outer Space LIVE show on Bluray.

Which is a shame, because the Christmas Shorts LIVE show was much better and would've been more appropriate for the time of year :colbert:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dissapointed Owl posted:

They've just released the Plan 9 From Outer Space LIVE show on Bluray.

Which is a shame, because the Christmas Shorts LIVE show was much better and would've been more appropriate for the time of year :colbert:

Got an e-mail about this earlier, and I'll definitely be purchasing this.

Haven't seen Christmas Shorts Live, but I saw Plan 9 Live in theaters and it was loving hilarious.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Got an e-mail about this earlier, and I'll definitely be purchasing this.

Haven't seen Christmas Shorts Live, but I saw Plan 9 Live in theaters and it was loving hilarious.

The Christmas Shorts Live was the funniest Rifftrax related thing they've done. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
I bought a couple of riffs earlier this month and got a $5 worth of gift certificates which I thought was pretty cool. But now I bought some more riffs and got $4 worth of gift certificates, but didn't redeem my previous certificate to shop for thinking I could save them up and now it seems like the previous ones disappeared from my account? Do I have to use them when I put in an ordered? I checked the Help page but didn't see anything.

• Locked thread