Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I just finished up Prison Island, is this about the halfway point of the game or a bit less?

I really wish I had more time to play, but I suddenly have no free time anymore. Sucks that I didn't plow through this whole game before that happened.

edit: Sheesh, I'm at the boss battle in the snow area and suddenly I'm expected to be 5 levels higher than I have been this whole time? :psyduck:

Yeah pretty much, I had to go back and sidequest for awhile there too. It's usually faster leveling than grinding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So, finally decided to pick this up and I had a couple questions not referenced in the OP:

1) Any skill tree traps/necessities I should be looking out for? The sum total of what I heard seems to be "the main character is hilariously broken", "Topple skills are OP", and that the healing rifle lady is a crutch character/useless against bosses ala Naoto in vanilla Persona 4.

2) I also heard that A THING happens sometime in the first four hours, and there's no coming back from it. What I want to know is will I get Reyn back before this happens, or should I just muscle through all these sidequests with just Shulk & Fiora?

3) Does this giant Affinity web THING ever start making sense? I only have one link between two characters and that was only because they were literally standing 1 foot away from each other.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

404GoonNotFound posted:

So, finally decided to pick this up and I had a couple questions not referenced in the OP:

1) Any skill tree traps/necessities I should be looking out for? The sum total of what I heard seems to be "the main character is hilariously broken", "Topple skills are OP", and that the healing rifle lady is a crutch character/useless against bosses ala Naoto in vanilla Persona 4.

2) I also heard that A THING happens sometime in the first four hours, and there's no coming back from it. What I want to know is will I get Reyn back before this happens, or should I just muscle through all these sidequests with just Shulk & Fiora?

3) Does this giant Affinity web THING ever start making sense? I only have one link between two characters and that was only because they were literally standing 1 foot away from each other.

1) You can beat the game without the main character. You can do it playing as the healer.

2) Don't worry about the side quests unless they have a clock next to their name.

3) Yes. It takes time. Spend awhile in Colony 9 figuring out NPC relationships, or blow it off for now and advance the story. This is a great, open ended game that gives zero fucks how you want to play it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The big thing about the affinity web is to always, always talk to everyone twice. You'll save yourself a lot of pain that way.

If you're looking to actually pursue all the sidequests/fill out the web then it's highly recommended to look up a faq, because every named NPC has a different day/night patrol route and it can be infuriating to riddle out where each one is at a given time of day.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

404GoonNotFound posted:

I'm not sure who you heard "The main healer is useless in boss batttles" from but I presume they have something against you

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Bland posted:

I'm not sure who you heard "The main healer is useless in boss batttles" from but I presume they have something against you

Well I heard something along the lines of "heals work weirdly in this game and she's the worst at chain skills", whatever that means.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

404GoonNotFound posted:

Well I heard something along the lines of "heals work weirdly in this game and she's the worst at chain skills", whatever that means.

She is the worst at chain skills, but that doesn't mean she's useless. You shold use her when you get to a fight you can't brute force your way through, because she is great at keeping you alive when you level her healing and shielding arts.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

The thing you need to know about the healer is not "she's useless", it's "you don't need to have her in your party at all times." Some people go in thinking you do, but a lot of the time you'll kill things better with a more damage-heavy setup, while getting by on other sources of healing. Especially if you use the second tank character, who focuses on dodging attacks with agility and so doesn't need much healing.

But if a tough boss is kicking your rear end then switching her in certainly isn't going to make it harder!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

404GoonNotFound posted:

1. There are lots of viable skills and party combinations. One of the big things you should remember while going through the game is to switch up characters every now and then, even the one you're playing as. I don't think any skills are permanently miss-able but maybe some of them become harder to obtain depending on your choices? I don't know, I haven't finished the game yet.

2. Not sure what they're talking about. Quests that have a clock icon next to them will expire after certain plot triggers but it's usually obvious which triggers close which quests.

3. I have no idea, to be honest. I do a good chunk of questing but I never really look at the web.

E:

404GoonNotFound posted:

You auto-heal after each battle so you don't need to be popping Curaga after each battle or anything like that. The healer character is there for when you need healing during battle.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
So far, I think there are two things in Xenoblade that are OP as gently caress:

-Dunban
-Agility gems. On every single character, in every single slot.

TenaCrane
Sep 14, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
My main impression of the healer is that she drags battles out. She seems great at first, healing people with bullets, but switch her out for anyone else and you'll be surprised how much faster battles go. She shines in battles where you're underleveled, but in most cases it'd just be better and probably more fun to wander around and level up a bit.

And talking to all the NPC's twice is really great advice.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

-Dunban

This'll work great (if a little slow), right up until the first time you fight an enemy with ether arts, which can't be dodged :allears:

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

-Dunban

Agility gems+double attack gems+speed boost aura on Seven. Turns that character into a whirlwind of death.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Thanks for the advice, I think I can wrap my head around how "bad" the healer is now, especially since Shulk's cure spell is so drat slow I'm losing to a sword-weilding rabbit 2 levels below me :negative:

Also, any idea who/what drops these Blue Chains? The spreadsheet from the OP isn't exactly being forthcoming.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

404GoonNotFound posted:

Thanks for the advice, I think I can wrap my head around how "bad" the healer is now, especially since Shulk's cure spell is so drat slow I'm losing to a sword-weilding rabbit 2 levels below me :negative:

Also, any idea who/what drops these Blue Chains? The spreadsheet from the OP isn't exactly being forthcoming.

They're a collectible IIRC, you get them from the blue orbs on the map. Random chance pretty much.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

-Dunban

Agility gems work great on Dunban and anybody like Dunban (e.g. already kinda fast, not neccessarily great armor). But, I find critboosting and double-attacks will be your go-to thing towards the end. Really it varies depending on where in the game you are. Strength and defense gems make more sense at the start since their hard and fast number gains are good and they work in armor, but later on, percentage-based things are superior.

Sometimes I cram Melia full of Quickstep gems so I can run around like crazy and kite anything, or engage anything, at my leisure.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

404GoonNotFound posted:

I think I know which rabbit you're talking about, and in general if an enemy has the same model as other enemies you've seen but has a unique name, pretend it's five levels higher than it actually is.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

C-Euro posted:

I think I know which rabbit you're talking about, and in general if an enemy has the same model as other enemies you've seen but has a unique name, pretend it's five levels higher than it actually is.

I love that by far the highest level monster I've run across was a loving rabbit that was around level 113

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So I made it to the Leg Camp and oh my where did the last 9 hours go.
Anyway, looking at my current sidequests... how the hell do I get a thunderstorm to start? With all the fast travel and time skipping and whatnot, did they really just toss in a randomized weather system just to gently caress with us?

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
You need to gently caress around with the time skipping until one happens.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

404GoonNotFound posted:

So I made it to the Leg Camp and oh my where did the last 9 hours go.

ONE OF US
ONE OF US

(we've all had that moment, sometimes more than once :v:)

Yeah, weather can be a little tough to control, what I usually do is fast-travel around the zone in question until I get the weather effect that I need.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Feel free to ignore really obnoxious material/enemy quests. There is a disgusting number of sidequests; far more than you'll need to stay leveled up. You'll probably want to do the Colony 6 quests since they have excellent rewards, and those will try your patience enough on their own without doing all the zone specific ones too.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Ballz posted:

I love that by far the highest level monster I've run across was a loving rabbit that was around level 113

There's one more enemy who's higher than that. Maybe 2. I can't remember.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

The Black Stones posted:

There's one more enemy who's higher than that. Maybe 2. I can't remember.

Well there's the big one, the level 120 on the Mountain, but yeah there should be something else.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

NTT posted:

Well there's the big one, the level 120 on the Mountain, but yeah there should be something else.
There's another one in the same zone, near the Great Glacier called Blizzard Belzagas. Although it's level 114, I felt it was a tougher fight than the lvl 120 monster. I mean, that thing has a really nasty spike effect, but that can be neutralized with gems. Belzagas was way more intense, since slipping up once could cost you the fight.

Are you even supposed to survive that multi-hit attack he starts busting out when he's at critical health? drat thing does 7000 damage per hit to everyone in the area. I managed to beat him by keeping him Toppled/Dazed with constant chain attacks, but one slip up and it would have been over.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

That's how the fight against the king lizard on the throne was for me. One slip up, and he'd start offing characters too fast to react.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I've gotten to about lv 31 or so, and I've got a lot of questions. I'm spoiling character names, just to be safe. EDIT: Nevermind they're listed in the OP.

I just got a whole load of party members, Riki, Melia and Dunban, but I don't really know how to use them. It's obvious that Shulk is melee damage, Reyn is tanking and Sharla is healing/support, but I don't really know how I should use the new people.

I don't understand anything about the affinity system, other than I get a lot of people listed in it with a lot of links between them. Is it something I need to figure out?

I'm trying to repair Colony Six, but I've got no idea how to get any of the mats. What exactly am I supposed to do?

I really like the game so far, though!

Elswyyr fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 9, 2012

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Dunban is a tank. He has the highest agility in the game which makes him very good at dodging things. Keep him in light armour, stuff it full of agility gems, watch him never take damage (from physical attacks anyway)

Melia's focused on ether arts. She summons elemental spirits, up to 3, which give the party various buffs. Her talent art works differently to most of the others. It fires off one of her summoned elements, trading its buff for a burst of damage, and can be used at any time so long as she has at least one summon out. The talent gauge fills up a little each time its used, and when it's full she enters Element Burst, which powers up her talent art and enables the use of a few other abilities. How long this lasts depends on how high her tension is at the time.

She has the potential for hilariously high burst damage, but the AI is abysmal at using her.

Riki is kind of an all-rounder. He's focused on damage-over-time effects for attacking, but also has a good group heal, some useful support abilities, and has the highest HP of all characters so he can even make a halfdecent tank if you link skills from other characters so he can wear heavy armour and generate extra threat. Basically he's the best character, no joke.

The affinity map is more for showing the results of your sidequesting rather than a source of information, although if you're trying to raise affinity with an area and can't find any quests it's worth searching out NPCs who don't have any connections on the map yet.

As for your last question, you can get hints on where to find mats by talking to the people around there, but realistically you're going to need a guide. Especially since many of the mats can be got much more easily by trading with specific people than by killing monsters or running around picking up blue glowies. Many items will need you to be at a higher affinity level with an area before they show up for trade.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Elswyyr posted:

I just got a whole load of party members, Riki, Melia and Dunban, but I don't really know how to use them. It's obvious that Shulk is melee damage, Reyn is tanking and Sharla is healing/support, but I don't really know how I should use the new people.

Dunban is another tank that relies more on dodging than straight damage absorption while also dealing some good damage, Melia is a powerful spellcaster that also has some shutdown abilities (sleep, "mute" etc), and Riki is a weird support role character who can do a little of everything but has powerful DoT attacks that no one else really has.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Suaimhneas posted:

Dunban is a tank. He has the highest agility in the game which makes him very good at dodging things. Keep him in light armour, stuff it full of agility gems, watch him never take damage (from physical attacks anyway)

Speaking of which, why the hell does he have a "strip naked, get more HP" talent at tier one? Is that just intentionally trying to get the player to kill themself?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Melia's lightning attack can be buffed by cramming her full of electric++ gems, and then abusing the Summon Copy to get lightning back faster. It gets crazy to nail people during chains with her like that, since her actual attack is white (e.g. chains with anything) so you can easily crank up the multipliers.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

404GoonNotFound posted:

Speaking of which, why the hell does he have a "strip naked, get more HP" talent at tier one? Is that just intentionally trying to get the player to kill themself?

At a point in the game nothing will be able to hit you. It's not as suicidal as it seems.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

At a point in the game nothing will be able to hit you. It's not as suicidal as it seems.

Except for ether-based attacks, no?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So... Muscle Up on Reyn, Ether Up on Sharla, Agility out the rear end for Dunban, Ehther Up + Lightning Up for Melia... I have no drat idea what to build Shulk for besides just Attack + Strength Up out the rear end :eng99:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

404GoonNotFound posted:

So... Muscle Up on Reyn, Ether Up on Sharla, Agility out the rear end for Dunban, Ehther Up + Lightning Up for Melia... I have no drat idea what to build Shulk for besides just Attack + Strength Up out the rear end :eng99:

You'll get better gems eventually so don't worry about it, just roll with what you have. Though yes, I just stuff Shulk full of gems that increase his attacking prowess (some Agility gems too). I never really used Muscle Up gems though, but I guess in the early game you're fine using them.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

C-Euro posted:

I never really used Muscle Up gems though, but I guess in the early game you're fine using them.

Well when Reyn's your only tanking option and your heal is about as useful as walking it off, you need every single bit of Phys. Defense you can get.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

C-Euro posted:

You'll get better gems eventually so don't worry about it, just roll with what you have. Though yes, I just stuff Shulk full of gems that increase his attacking prowess (some Agility gems too). I never really used Muscle Up gems though, but I guess in the early game you're fine using them.

Give Shulk Haste and Double Attack gems, and some agility for good measure. Turn him into a human blender. :gibs:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Shulk and Seven turn ridiculous if you kit them out proper, double attacking more often than not, while critical-hitting, extra fast. That was my endgame experience with them at least.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I'm in the latter half of the game and stuck at the final battle with Gadolt at Arignatha. I've tried this fight with and without Sharla. I went and got Shulk's Monado Armor just for this fight and he's still kicking my rear end. I can survive a wave or 2 of the mechon he summons before he just zaps and murders everyone.

Any tips?

e. vvv Not that fight.

Fun Times! fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Are you taking cover? There should be little barriers you can stand behind. Always fight the Mechon behind those barriers and quickly dash between them as you move towards the boss.

• Locked thread