Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!

StabMasterArson posted:

Found 2 Easter Island Maoi statues in one of the ops, shooting them makes Kaz quip in a weird way, anyone found any more?

http://imgur.com/WBu5GBO
http://imgur.com/cUiBIZi

There's one atop a tower early on, the heli will shine it's spot light on it for you and another on a picnic table out in an area to the west of the compound. I assume there are more because I hit all 4 of those and nothing special happened.

edit: nevermind looked like one but it's just a light :downs: though there are 5 of them total.

edit2: actually found it this time, on a box next to the emergency gate switch in the Admin building

RageBeef fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Silver Striker posted:

Just got all my XOF patches. Missed one last run (where I grabbed Paz first for the hell of it, interesting how a few little things change), so I basically speedran this time to get my last patch. Finished the game in just under 17 minutes, still not good enough for an S rank. I guess you need no reflex bonus or to save some POWs to get it.

The only time I ever got an S rank on the main mission was when I rescued all the other POWs in Chico's prison area. I've never used the reflex mode. After enough playthroughs of each mission you'll know where all the guards are and shouldn't need it.

Also, where is the POW to be executed in the main mission? I've explored the western prison camp area and never saw him. Does he only spawn after you put Chico in the helicopter or something?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I thought you could carry two primary weapons? Every time I try to pick up a guard's gun, I drop my starting weapon.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

blackguy32 posted:

I thought you could carry two primary weapons? Every time I try to pick up a guard's gun, I drop my starting weapon.

It depends on the weapon. Assault rifles and the shotgun share the same primary slot, and the launcher and sniper rifle share the other.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

One "hip" weapon and one "back" weapon. Back weapons are sniper rifle or rocket launcher. Hip weapons are assault rifles or shotgun. Secondary weapons are pistols.

This new inventory system will be the death of me.

I need to go back and play Mercenaries 2, get used to a game where you could only have TWO guns. And airstrikes.

(oh, and that is a legitimate strategy, guys, you can use the helicopter as an airstrike if you call it during an alert)

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

71% missing Chico tape 5. I don't know what else is left besides that. Someone find all the secrets in this poo poo for me.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

71% missing Chico tape 5. I don't know what else is left besides that. Someone find all the secrets in this poo poo for me.

Anybody who says this game is short is full of poo poo. It may not take long to get to the "official" finish line, but man.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Speedball posted:

Anybody who says this game is short is full of poo poo. It may not take long to get to the "official" finish line, but man.

Yeah I've got 12 hours played that's well worth the 30 bucks. I'm not even a completionist. New Metal Gear brought this out in me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Speedball posted:

Seriously. I have to have put at least 12 hours into this game by now, maybe even more than that.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

RageBeef posted:

There's one atop a tower early on, the heli will shine it's spot light on it for you and another on a picnic table out in an area to the west of the compound. I assume there are more because I hit all 4 of those and nothing special happened.

edit: nevermind looked like one but it's just a light :downs: though there are 5 of them total.

edit2: actually found it this time, on a box next to the emergency gate switch in the Admin building

Nice finds, disappointing that nothing happens if you break them all though.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Updated list of all Chico's Casette tapes. Thanks to RageBeef, cobalt impurity, and Ekusukariba.

Chico tape 1: side op, obtained on completion of mission "Intel Operative Rescue"

Chico tape 2: main op, obtained from searching the admin building guard tower (tallest one, attached to that huge vehicle door that opens/closes), to get up there you have to go past that door and (following the wall its attached to, almost towards the end of that wall where it becomes a right corner) you'll finally get to a ladder that takes you up high to a metal walk way which then takes you to the guard tower. Should be right there on the desk inside it

Chico tape 3: main op, unmissable (earned during storyline)

Chico tape 4: main Op, obtained from rescuing all 5 prisoners, 4 in the area where chico is and one who is to the left area where you start the mission, you hear about the prisoner from two guards near the checkpoint house near the landing zone it tells you to take chico, either follow the one or interrogation him for the location, you get it after you complete the mission

Chico tape 5: main op, obtained from searching all the way in the northwest corner, hidden in some garbage cans. Get into the Admin Building area that's behind the security gate and go as northwest as you can, past the stairs that lead down to the boiler room where Paz is.

Chico tape 6: side op, found during mission "Renegade Threat" in the supply shed with the sniper rifle

Chico Tape 7: side op, obtained on "Destroy the Anti-Air Emplacements" by extracting the Intel Team agent

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Speedball posted:

I've put 4 hours into that loving Renegade Side Op mission alone trying to perfect it.

If The Phantom Pain has say 6 of these type of "zones" with a few more side ops for each, it'd take an entire year to beat all of it.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
So there's absolutely no IRC for us to geek out about MGS? The more I play this the more I realize that I still have to finish MGS4 and Peace Walker, and now I really want to replay MGS3.

And drat, saying this again, but this game is hard as hell. Daylight missions are a nightmare, but it's hilarious what you can get away with in a covered vehicle.

Main mission spoiler: I managed to use the covered truck inside the admin base to get Paz and I past an IFV without them knowing any better.

I feel like sometimes the controls get really sticky around cover. Sometimes just tossing me out of cover when I don't mean to. And wasn't there a way to zoom in slightly from cover without exposing yourself completely to mark targets? It's been demonstrated in a few trade shows. Thinking of the the TGS demo where snake is peaking out from the bed of a truck marking targets as he gets driven around.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Ularg posted:

So there's absolutely no IRC for us to geek out about MGS? The more I play this the more I realize that I still have to finish MGS4 and Peace Walker, and now I really want to replay MGS3.

And drat, saying this again, but this game is hard as hell. Daylight missions are a nightmare, but it's hilarious what you can get away with in a covered vehicle.

Main mission spoiler: I managed to use the covered truck inside the admin base to get Paz and I past an IFV without them knowing any better.

I feel like sometimes the controls get really sticky around cover. Sometimes just tossing me out of cover when I don't mean to. And wasn't there a way to zoom in slightly from cover without exposing yourself completely to mark targets? It's been demonstrated in a few trade shows. Thinking of the the TGS demo where snake is peaking out from the bed of a truck marking targets as he gets driven around.

Isn't that R3? That's the peek button.

And yeah, I'd love an IRC to geek out over this series and trade tips for some of these missions.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I don't know anyone yet who has complained about the length of this except for games journalism and people who haven't played the game yet.

Has it been revealed yet why Chico can plug in his headphones into his chest yet? I haven't unlocked everything but it's really puzzling me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ghostinmyshell posted:

I don't know anyone yet who has complained about the length of this except for games journalism and people who haven't played the game yet.

Has it been revealed yet why Chico can plug in his headphones into his chest yet? I haven't unlocked everything but it's really puzzling me.

I've seen quite a few people on twitter/facebook complaining about it. Largely people who got stuck with the Next Gen Tax. I think Konami would have done a lot better if they just went $20 for everything.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

ImpAtom posted:

I've seen quite a few people on twitter/facebook complaining about it. Largely people who got stuck with the Next Gen Tax. I think Konami would have done a lot better if they just went $20 for everything.

I would have been really happy if the disc version actually came with all of the trailers for the phantom pain at 60fps. I'm a huge sucker for trailers and would fill my external HDD up on my PC with 1080p 60fps trailers if I could.

Also, listening to the cassette tapes:

gently caress you Paz, you rear end in a top hat. What's wrong with soldiers loving kittens?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
As much as I hate to say it and as much as I love new MGS this probably would be better if the whole thing had been released as one package. The side ops are interesting but at the end of the day you're loving around on exactly one map and one of the series hallmarks (interesting boss battles) are totally absent. I could see someone being pissed at paying thirty bones for this. I'm not, but I could understand it.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Cassette tape: Paz's 8th Diary Entry, just listen to it. Just do it.

I want to see them animate it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
How the hell do you do the Deja Vu stuff? So much of it is hit or miss. You have to be in just the right place at just the right time for some of these! Can anyone, heh, shed some light on how to do the "box and lights" one? I've tried approaching those stupid smoke grenades from every angle at every time and I either don't get it or I get spotted by the lights. What the hell do I do?

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!

Elephant Ambush posted:

How the hell do you do the Deja Vu stuff? So much of it is hit or miss. You have to be in just the right place at just the right time for some of these! Can anyone, heh, shed some light on how to do the "box and lights" one? I've tried approaching those stupid smoke grenades from every angle at every time and I either don't get it or I get spotted by the lights. What the hell do I do?

Pick them up.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I cannot wait for TPP because of this, hearing about him hiding a nuke made me instantly think "Oh god we're gonna see why we hate Big Boss in MG1"

We hate him because he forgets about every goddamn poison room in his own goddamn base.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Terror Sweat posted:

We hate him because he forgets about every goddamn poison room in his own goddamn base.

Wasn't that an intentional act to gently caress Snake over?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Well yeah, and possibly because he's presumably old as gently caress by Metal Gear.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Elephant Ambush posted:

When the lights start to turn away from the box run your rear end over there, pick them up, and then keep running to miss the light.

Question about A Soldier and a Tank, what the hell is the secret? I throw grenades and the drat thing blows up but I don't get the cutscene. What exactly do I have to do?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
No idea how to identify this spoiler.

Kojima is a dick in the chopper. He just flips through my mission select with his hand.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that

jabro posted:

Question about A Soldier and a Tank, what the hell is the secret? I throw grenades and the drat thing blows up but I don't get the cutscene. What exactly do I have to do?

The hatch on the top of the vehicle is open. You have to throw a grenade inside there to launch the dude inside of it.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Full Battle Rattle posted:

As much as I hate to say it and as much as I love new MGS this probably would be better if the whole thing had been released as one package. The side ops are interesting but at the end of the day you're loving around on exactly one map and one of the series hallmarks (interesting boss battles) are totally absent. I could see someone being pissed at paying thirty bones for this. I'm not, but I could understand it.

Its essentially a paid tech demo, so yeah probibly not worth the money for most. I'm really digging the new interactions though and the more time I spend playing the more I notice major and minor improvements. The level design, while in my opinion is kinda boring when your first look at it, is actually really clever. The tiny little raised cement gutters on the sides of some roads just tall enough to obscure a crawling snake, the hidden vents, the flags that are placed close to key patrol routes so that their rustling masks footsteps, the carefully placed guard booths and tarp covered fences that give you a way to sneak up on guard towers, etc. Its really well done when you play on it a bit longer.

The new AI is also really fun. There is no Hidden / Unhidden line, you can hide in plain sight so long as you pick the right shadow and don't move at the wrong times but the AI will also pick on you really quick on some things that other games would ignore, if the tiniest part of you is exposed around a corner, even just a gun tip, they will notice. They check out odd sounds, not just footsteps and things you throw but if you accidentally brush up against a box on top of a crate when it falls they will check it out. Guns falling on loud surfaces will draw their attention, so if you shoot a guard on a metal catwalk with a tranq the guy below might actually hear him thud or drop his gear.

Some of the new animations are killer, crawling and then aiming a gun sideways will result in a natural leaning position where in earlier titles you could just kinda spin like a rotor, if you are trying to aim around a corner even if it looks like you have a clear shot sometimes the gun barrel is still partially obstructed, instead of just letting you waste ammo the game actually gives a hud indication that your bullet wont go where the cross-hair is. Hell gunplay in general is just cleaner while still keeping you just slow enough to be vulnerable. It may not be a full game but its really making me want one badly.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ularg posted:

gently caress you Paz, you rear end in a top hat. What's wrong with soldiers loving kittens?

Seriously! What the hell is up with that?

edit: Ohhh man playing Deja Vu with Solid Snake skin and the snow it's greaaat… Despite the low poly count he's still shaded with the light, so he looks good!

Speedball fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 20, 2014

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
So how do I unlock that platform specific mission? I've completed the main mission and all of the available side-ops on normal and I still have one mission as "TOP SECRET".

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ularg posted:

So how do I unlock that platform specific mission? I've completed the main mission and all of the available side-ops on normal and I still have one mission as "TOP SECRET".
Collect all the XOF patches. This guide on YouTube makes it pretty easy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMj-Hqb6YQs

e: I'm at 40% and have 2 more side ops to complete on Hard.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Why are people shocked about the sexual violence in Ground Zeroes? It's on the back of the box!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Can someone give me a rundown of the new health system and how it works in practice in the game? I've watched a playthrough, but the guy was simply too good and never got hurt in the first place :( (which is pretty rare for Let's Plays, now that I think about it).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Can someone give me a rundown of the new health system and how it works in practice in the game? I've watched a playthrough, but the guy was simply too good and never got hurt in the first place :( (which is pretty rare for Let's Plays, now that I think about it).
If you get shot a few times, you have to heal yourself, which involves running to cover and spraying yourself with first aid spray. If you get hit more than a few times, you're dead. There's no health meter. The screen simply turns more and more red the more you get hit.

On Hard difficulty, though, I don't even think first aid spray is an option, or else it is but you don't get it by default, you have to find some on the base.

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...
Since when did Metal Gear start becoming Gears of War? And since when did we start buying into glorified tech demos?

What's going on here?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Proto Cloud posted:

Since when did Metal Gear start becoming Gears of War? And since when did we start buying into glorified tech demos?

What's going on here?

If by Gears of War you mean a fun game where Metal Gear has become an open world Metal Gear and has evolved over the course of 20+ years and the last time we bought this it was called Zone of Enders and came with the MGS2 demo.

You're a fun hater, basically.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Proto Cloud posted:

What's going on here?

People buy things they enjoy.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Proto Cloud posted:

What's going on here?
Hey look, a post that no one's made in the 102 pages of this thread so far!

Just play the game and find out. Or don't. Whatever.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Proto Cloud posted:

What's going on here?

It's a full complete game that lots of people think is worth the price based on the replayability and unlockables and fun Easter eggs. If you don't agree that's cool. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Proto Cloud posted:

What's going on here?

How the gently caress is this remotely like gears of war? You're retarded.

• Locked thread