Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glenn Zimmerman
Apr 9, 2009

sniper4625 posted:

But my bill integrates the Evucks and contains the Acutians! :(
I suppose my definition of containment was a little vague. To clarify, I wish to avoid any deliberate provocation of the Acutians which your bill seems to do here:

sniper4625 posted:

1. Keep the Acutians down - they're not nullfied yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh yeah this game.

Hunnic Justice Act: No: A nice short bill. Points 1 and 3 seem fine. But 2 seems like getting people to fight and that sounds like someone might get killed. I dunno maybe it's just me but fomenting war seems like it's a little bit evil.
Permanent Revolution Act: Yes: Even shorter and sweeter, nice! points 1 and 2 seem like they do things that might be good (I really don't know) but 3 is stealing and stealing is assholish but not necessarily outright evil. Perfect.
Growing Strong Act: Yes Another good short bill. #1 is a bit worrying because "keep them down" might sound like "kill them" but I don't think we can really do that to those guys anyway so whatever. #2 is super vague but harmless and #3 seems like a really good idea.
Get the Evucks Act: Yes The shortest sweetest bill ever! Amazing. Also it seems like peaceful and good?
The Patriot Act: No Comparitively not a very short bill but more importantly I'm guessing sneaking around doing subterfuge poo poo could backfire really badly.
Federal Expansion Bill: No 1 seems good, 2 seems totally open-ended and potentially dangerous, and 3 seems like it could mean "crush anyone who looks at us wrong" which is potentially really bad. Maybe?
OFF Act: Yes: Yeah sure, research is good.
Post-Federation Stimulus Act: Yes Yeah sure, money is good.
WTHDYTWA Act: Yes This party seems like it has like this really evil looking iconography but then it's all just 'lets bring guys into the federation' and that seems like a good idea so yeah sure.

This was the easiest set of bills to read ever. The Lazy rear end in a top hat Party officially endorses the new legislative structure in which everyone makes a minimal effort and there's hardly any arguing.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Glenn Zimmerman posted:

I suppose my definition of containment was a little vague. To clarify, I wish to avoid any deliberate provocation of the Acutians which your bill seems to do here:

Ah. Given that the Acutians are still at war with the Federation, I don't see what's so objectionable about the provision. They started it, after all.

To clarify in light of Leper's comments: I do not seek to wipe out the Acutians. I only wish to remove their capability to wage war, a capability they have misused on numerous occasions. Active containment, if you will.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

sniper4625 posted:

To clarify in light of Leper's comments: I do not seek to wipe out the Acutians. I only wish to remove their capability to wage war, a capability they have misused on numerous occasions. Active containment, if you will.

I don't know the mechanics of this (and I'm not going to learn them) but I have the impression that removing a race's capability to wage war is essentially synonymous with crushing them, since any race with a military can wage war and any race without a military will be devoured by their neighbors in short order.

I guess maybe just having tons of ground forces but no ships could work? Is that even a thing that can be done to those guys?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Hunnic Justice Act: No Pointless and unprofitable.
Permanent Revolution Act: No Short-sighted. Idiotic. We could make far more by befriending and integrating those races.
Growing Strong Act: No Why antagonize Acutians? They could be very useful.
Get the Evucks Act: Yes Science is a big seller.
The Patriot Act: Yes Good enough. Information is a very valuable commodity.
Federal Expansion Bill: Yes Agreed. Let's bring more markets into the Federation!
OFF Act: Yes Science without antagonizing other races or jeopardizing potential markets? Yes.
Post-Federation Stimulus Act: Yes
WTHDYTWA Act: Abstain I'd like them in the Federation, but I don't think they should be our current focus.

Voting party line

Zikan fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 26, 2014

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Leperflesh posted:

I don't know the mechanics of this (and I'm not going to learn them) but I have the impression that removing a race's capability to wage war is essentially synonymous with crushing them, since any race with a military can wage war and any race without a military will be devoured by their neighbors in short order.

I guess maybe just having tons of ground forces but no ships could work? Is that even a thing that can be done to those guys?

Or just reducing their space power enough that they can defend, but not attack. I don't know exactly.

On the other hand, the Burlusts have no space power at all, and seem to be trucking right along. I guess their overwhelming land power is enough of a deterrent.

Muskatnuss
Mar 17, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

Oh yeah this game.

Hunnic Justice Act: No: A nice short bill. Points 1 and 3 seem fine. But 2 seems like getting people to fight and that sounds like someone might get killed. I dunno maybe it's just me but fomenting war seems like it's a little bit evil.
Permanent Revolution Act: Yes: Even shorter and sweeter, nice! points 1 and 2 seem like they do things that might be good (I really don't know) but 3 is stealing and stealing is assholish but not necessarily outright evil. Perfect.
Growing Strong Act: Yes Another good short bill. #1 is a bit worrying because "keep them down" might sound like "kill them" but I don't think we can really do that to those guys anyway so whatever. #2 is super vague but harmless and #3 seems like a really good idea.
Get the Evucks Act: Yes The shortest sweetest bill ever! Amazing. Also it seems like peaceful and good?
The Patriot Act: No Comparitively not a very short bill but more importantly I'm guessing sneaking around doing subterfuge poo poo could backfire really badly.
Federal Expansion Bill: No 1 seems good, 2 seems totally open-ended and potentially dangerous, and 3 seems like it could mean "crush anyone who looks at us wrong" which is potentially really bad. Maybe?
OFF Act: Yes: Yeah sure, research is good.
Post-Federation Stimulus Act: Yes Yeah sure, money is good.
WTHDYTWA Act: Yes This party seems like it has like this really evil looking iconography but then it's all just 'lets bring guys into the federation' and that seems like a good idea so yeah sure.

This was the easiest set of bills to read ever. The Lazy rear end in a top hat Party officially endorses the new legislative structure in which everyone makes a minimal effort and there's hardly any arguing.

Voting party line.

Glenn Zimmerman
Apr 9, 2009

sniper4625 posted:

Ah. Given that the Acutians are still at war with the Federation, I don't see what's so objectionable about the provision. They started it, after all.

I was more hoping for defensive actions until the Evucks are integrated. From my understanding this will be very difficult and I don't think we need any distractions.

*Also, I just noticed there is no line between the Evuck and the Hydral. What does that mean?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Hunnic Justice Act: No
Permanent Revolution Act: Yes
Growing Strong Act: Yes
Get the Evucks Act: Yes
The Patriot Act: No
Federal Expansion Bill: No
OFF Act: Yes
WTHDYTWA Act: Yes

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hunnic Justice Act: Yes
Growing Strong Act: No
Get the Evucks Act: No
The Patriot Act: Yes
Federal Expansion Bill: Abstain
Post-Federation Stimulus Act: No

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rogue0071 posted:

Hunnic Justice Act: Abstain
Post-Federation Stimulus Act: Abstain
WTHDYTWA Act: Abstain

As usual, I'm voting party line.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Federal Expansion Bill: Yes
OFF Act: No
WTHDYTWA Act: No

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

The party line for the Team Dai-Hydrren is as follows.

Permanent Revolution Act: No
The Patriot Act: Abstain

Party members should vote yes on the WTHDYTWA and Hunnic Justice Acts, and should vote on all other acts at their own discretion.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Growing Strong Act: Abstain

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Aug 26, 2014

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Federal Expansion Bill: NO

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Blackunknown posted:

The party line for the Team Dai-Hydrren is as follows.

Party members should vote yes on the WTHDYTWA and Hunnic Justice Acts, and should vote on all other acts at their own discretion.

Out of curiosity, what is your objection to my bill?

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

sniper4625 posted:

Out of curiosity, what is your objection to my bill?

To be fair it mostly the "Keeping the Acutians down" bit that I feel is not needed, today's enemies are tomorrows allis as they say, and keeping the Acutians down could be detrimental to relations in case we were to bring them into the federation. Also that the Evucks are become more of a problem then their worth. Improving ship technology is good but has been suggested in many of this session's bills that I feel it would pass one way or another.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

I must admit I don't see the controversy in attempting to keep the people we are currently at war with weak. It's not like it's long term policy, anyway, it'll expire at the end of the session with any other bill.

The Acutians have shown their willingness to engage in aggressive conquest on repeated occasions, does it not make sense that we take whatever steps we can to prevent them from doing it again? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, after all.

I believe the ship has sailed on the Evucks - the necessities of Realpolitik demand that we continue to bring them close into the Federation. To abruptly reverse course now would leave us adrift in the middle of the river. While I may not have been the biggest fan of the Evucks, I also realize when personal beliefs must be put aside for the good of the Federation.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

I actually kinda like this bill, but I think that with everything else we're trying to do attempting to get the Burlusts and Thoraxians in would be spreading ourselves too thin.

Bit redundant, but whatever. From what I understand we want to steal outposts all day every day anyhow, so the specific targeting isn't THAT big a deal.

While I would have liked to get the Acutians on side earlier, I don't know if it's a viable goal any longer. I don't know that it's necessary to focus on grinding them down, but I don't know that it'll hurt. The rest of the bill does some handy things.

Trying to court the Lazy rear end in a top hat vote, eh?

I find this Act a tad bizarre. The proposed diplomatic arm includes Evucks but not Acutians? (Acutians are the ones who can backdoor other races, alongside the Skylaxians). The military arm does not propose the Evucks, currently the big dog in space? In general what was the reasoning behind these choices? I can't grok it at all.

I sincerely doubt whether Eightfold Unity's goals are possible any longer. Best of luck to them, anyhow.

A charmingly useful little bill.

Useful, nothing objectionable, nothing to see here.

As with the Revengeance bill, I think this is going to spread ourselves too thin, and I believe its research mandate is already covered by the Growing Strong Act.

There is, as always, no party line for the Order of Cassandra. Vote as your personal judgement dictates.

sniper4625 posted:

I must admit I don't see the controversy in attempting to keep the people we are currently at war with weak. It's not like it's long term policy, anyway, it'll expire at the end of the session with any other bill.

Wiz posted:

: You should all know the drill by now. Just remember, Harry wants long-term policies, not highly specific plans that inevitably fail to predict the consequenses of your misguided interventions and result in the deaths of millions.

:v:

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

quote:

Bit redundant, but whatever. From what I understand we want to steal outposts all day every day anyhow, so the specific targeting isn't THAT big a deal.

You can't steal outposts from Fed races and I don't want to steal from the Evucks. The Boarines are hardly likely to build one given their condition and if they do they'll need it.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

I assumed we were just doing more general policies as opposed to specific provisos, but keeping the one update duration part. If that was wrong, I apologize.

Either way, keeping the Acutians down is a fine goal. Their repeated aggression against the System merits consequences.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 26, 2014

Syless
Feb 23, 2013

I, for one, support our multiheaded dragon overlord!

Rogue0071 posted:

You can't steal outposts from Fed races and I don't want to steal from the Evucks. The Boarines are hardly likely to build one given their condition and if they do they'll need it.

Yeah, we don't want to steal ALL outposts, just ones from races we can take the relations hit with (i.e., not ones we're actively recruiting). Soon enough it'll be easier to build our own anyway.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

OFF Act: No Point 3 is a deal breaker

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
The idea behind the 4 "wings" is that races have innate advantages and we want a good mixture of races for a strong Federation. 50 years from now, the current solar political map will be unimportant. While the Evucks may have the strongest military now, eventually the Burlusts or the Thoraxians will catch up and surpass them due to their innate characteristics.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Man, fifty years is a long time to try to plan ahead. How do you know the Burlusts and Thoraxians will even still be around by then?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Hunnic Justice Act
Yes: 8
No: 9
Abstain: 2

Permanent Revolution Act
Yes: 14
No: 5
Abstain: 0

Growing Strong Act
Yes: 13
No: 6

Get the Evucks Act
Yes: 12
No: 6
Abstain: 1

The Patriot Act
Yes: 7
No: 9
Abstain: 3

Federal Expansion Bill
Yes: 5
No: 8
Abstain: 6

OFF Act
Yes: 17
No: 2

Post-Federation Stimulus Act
Yes: 12
No: 3
Abstain: 4

Who the Hell Do You Think We Are Act
Yes: 8
No: 8
Abstain: 3

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 26, 2014

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

I want to take this opportunity to say that we really should be hiring informants and working against our enemies covertly. It's a good step before all out war.

As such, I am changing my vote on The Patriot Act to a Yes, despite my strong standing reservations about point #2.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
What happens with a tie vote?

Syless
Feb 23, 2013

I, for one, support our multiheaded dragon overlord!

unwantedplatypus posted:

The idea behind the 4 "wings" is that races have innate advantages and we want a good mixture of races for a strong Federation. 50 years from now, the current solar political map will be unimportant. While the Evucks may have the strongest military now, eventually the Burlusts or the Thoraxians will catch up and surpass them due to their innate characteristics.

Your wings aren't entirely grounded in their inherent advantages, though. My suggestions if you wish to revise things:

Diplomatic: Skylaxians or Acutians. The Andor have no interest in bringing in other species (they lack a Federationist party), but the Acutians are capable of it, should they prove themselves capable of cooperating peaceably.

Military: This should be split into Ground and Space arms- the Burlusts are terrible in space conflict, as has been established, and the Peltians have already been assigned the role of space police anyway.

Economic: Acutians or Andor. The Skylaxians are neither economically advantaged nor disadvantaged, their place here is somewhat irrelevant.

Research: Skylaxians or Evucks. The Skylaxians are phenomenal at research (I daresay the best in the system, all other things equal), and their lack of presence here is somewhat baffling.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Before I submit my vote, two observations: 1. Doing this right after finalizing my research on the Arizona primary candidates tomorrow sucked. If I read another policy statement again, it'll be too soon. Or maybe just the next vote in this thread, whatever. 2. When filtering by sniper to find the voting template, I had to go to page 12. Holy poo poo dude, you are responsible for over 10% of this thread's posts.

P.S.
Voted no on the Patriot Act on principle. Don't name your legislation off an abomination from the 21st century if you want my vote.

Peanut3141 fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 26, 2014

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Get the Evucks Act: Abstain

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
In line with my earlier position statement, I'm voting:

Permanent Revolution Act: Abstain
Growing Strong Act: Abstain
OFF Act: Abstain

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?

I'll just follow the leader on this one; I'm exhausted right now. Maybe I'll give them a more thorough once-over of my own in the morning.

MoadDib
Apr 4, 2009

Permanent Revolution Act: Abstain
The Patriot Act: Yes To those saying that the second provision requires the recruitment of the Acutions, there's other options listed that are appropriate choices, it simply mandates that we pursue one of the listed races, not necessarily the Acutians.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Captain Bravo posted:

What happens with a tie vote?

Abstains are counted

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Eightfold Unity Party line:
Go with your conscience.

Hunnic Justice Act: Yes, though once either the Evucks or Acutians are federated, we need to end agitation.
Permanent Revolution Act: Yes. Prevents losing weak races, encourages Fed membership.
Growing Strong Act: Abstain. Short-termist thinking, balanced out by an incentive to research. Could go either way on this.
Get the Evucks Act: Yes. Short, to the point and entirely in line with Eightfold goals.
The Patriot Act: Abstain. Undefined enemy error.
Federal Expansion Bill: Yes. We need to pull out the stops if we want to win this.
OFF Act: Yes Research, outposts, pro federation, sign me up.
Post-Federation Stimulus Act: Yes. Nets us some vital resources.
WTHDYTWA Act: Yes. Team Dai-Hydren for great victory!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

applebane
Jun 5, 2011

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Hunnic Justice Act: YES! We need to strike down the big guys if we ever want to become the big guys ourselves!
Permanent Revolution Act: NO! Stealing outposts from the Burlusts and Thoraxians aren't part of my plan! Having the Evucks in alliance with us I could almost accept if you didn't want to tear down other potential subjects!
Growing Strong Act: YES! STRENGTH IS HONOUR!
Get the Evucks Act: ABSTAIN Just because I won't vote against the Evucks doesn't mean I will vote for them.
The Patriot Act: NO! Sounds like too much bureaucracy and politics!
Federal Expansion Bill: ABSTAIN! Not enough bad stuff about the Acutians.
OFF Act: YES! I've heard much good about Sky Shadowing! Let's hope they can bring great justice to the Federation!
Post-Federation Stimulus Act: YES! Nothing positive about the Acutians in the actual bill, hence I'll allow it!
WTHDYTWA Act: YES! I'LL SEE YOU IN THE SKIES OVER ASTRA LIBRA, BURMINA! THE ACUTIANS WILL FACE OUR MIGHT!

For once I find myself siding with ANCAP and not with the CI. Owlies, if you want your alliance with us to continue you better stop bashing our friends!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Luhood posted:

Federal Expansion Bill: ABSTAIN! Not enough bad stuff about the Acutians.

Isn't that covered by everyone else? This is your bag, man. I'm not raiding it from you when there's targets for the both of us, especially not with the new rules on smaller bills.

• Locked thread