Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

chippy posted:

Also does anyone know the differentce between the Ninja and regular Majestouch? Is it just that the keycaps are printed on the front instead of the top or is their something else?

Only difference as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

chippy posted:

I can't find any Rosewill stuff in the UK. In fact I'm having a lot of difficulty finding anything at all with browns in.

I think you're right about features, I was mildly interested in the full backlighting and macro keys on the CM Storm Trigger, but they are by no means a dealbreaker. I'm quite happy to pay for Filco if the build quality etc really is that good, so maybe I'll just go for that. I'm not actually that fussed about media keys. More than anything it's obviously the typing/gaming feel I'm after, I think I've settled on wanting brown switches but I wish there was somewhere I could go and try them all out.

Oh, 1000Hz polling was interesting to me as well, but am I right in thinking that PS/2 keyboards aren't even polled and just generate an interrupt when a key is pressed? And that this would lead to a faster response anyway?

Also does anyone know the differentce between the Ninja and regular Majestouch? Is it just that the keycaps are printed on the front instead of the top or is their something else?

Aaah, ok. I semi-misread your interests because when you said CM Storm, I was only thinking of the Quickfires, which is what most people in the US seem to go for that's available with brown. So I didn't think that you wanted stuff like backlighting, etc. I'm also not sure if browns are even available on some of the fancier more complicated models.

Otherwise, it seems like you've done your research and, to the best of my knowledge, you're right about how PS/2 works, etc.

But, yeah, availability of stuff like browns, reds, and clears seems to be quite regional. I guess the alternative is trying to import from the US/Japan/Korea? Or whatever the british equivalent to geekhack/ebay/amazon marketplace is. No idea how that works, unfortunately.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I would take the Quickfire Pro but not the Rapid (I want my numpad), but that's as hard to find in browns as anything else in the UK. It does seem to be very regional as to what switch types get shipped, and very annoying. They claim all switch types are available on all boards on their main site but in reality the UK only seems to be getting them with reds at the moment for some stupid reason. I think I'll probably go with my plan of getting the Filco and then maybe getting a CM Storm board when they're a bit more generally available, or maybe just sticking with the Filco.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

NecessaryEvil posted:

The Unicomp EnduraPro custom came in today.

Black/Black/Blank is nice, but I'd have preferred they be textured for the whole key like the top of the key and the chassis itself. Unfortunately, they're a glossy black on the sides.

The keys themselves feel great to type on. No idea how they'll do in gaming as far as key rollover goes, but if that's a problem, I can always toss in another keyboard if I need it. Since I'm doing less FPS games these days, I don't think it'll be that big an issue.

The chassis looks and feels very industrial...more function over form. I happen to like that philosophy, but if someone's looking for perfection, they may not like the subtle blemishes on the keys (from the molding process). The USB cable is on the right side of the keyboard, but the cable won't fit in the path, due to it being too thick.

The Trackpoint, I'm torn on. Unfortunately, it's not as...tight...as the Trackpoint in my Thinkpad, EliteBook, or Latitude. There's actual wiggle room before it starts moving. The keys themselves have a lot of travel before they activate. It reminds me a lot of the Trackpoint IV I used to have about a decade ago for the keys, although its Trackpoint was more firm. I found out it will take the classic dome caps that I have from my Thinkpad, but not the soft dome ones, as their hole is too large.

I've only been typing on it as long as this thread...but so far I really like it.

If you wanted a nice track point, you should have splurged on a M13 (my second favorite keyboard). I'm guessing that that thing has 2 key rollover like the model M it's based on. As such, you're better off with something else for gaming.

For reference, the M13 keys are also glossy on the sides, and generally not quite as nice as a standard M's. I've been thinking about getting a set of blanks to hide the horrid white paint. Do the keys generally look nice, or are there a bunch of blemishes from the molds?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

leper khan posted:

If you wanted a nice track point, you should have splurged on a M13 (my second favorite keyboard). I'm guessing that that thing has 2 key rollover like the model M it's based on. As such, you're better off with something else for gaming.

For reference, the M13 keys are also glossy on the sides, and generally not quite as nice as a standard M's. I've been thinking about getting a set of blanks to hide the horrid white paint. Do the keys generally look nice, or are there a bunch of blemishes from the molds?

I'm pretty sure the Endurapro is identical to the M13, since I believe Unicomp bought the original tooling for all of those old keyboards from IBM.

The modern trackpoints seen in modern Lenovo products have seen some major improvements in both hardware and software since the version in those old designs, which accounts for the different feel of the Endurapro/M13 ones.

It's a shame, really, because I want a modern 3-button trackpoint with scrolling on my desktop but don't want to buy one of those thinkpad keyboards, which are just laptop keyboards with a USB cord on them.

NecessaryEvil
Aug 10, 2006
Professional Slacker
The Trackpoint really wasn't that important, but I figured if I was going to go ahead and buy a keyboard, I might as well splurge and go for the extras to.

Unfortunately, I use the Windows keys too much to be happy with the the M13. Sure, I could go back to remapping the right alt key as the Windows key...but since this is being plugged into a laptop, I'd rather not do that.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Been using the Red Ducky Shine (Cherry Red) and love it. Anyone here use Topres?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Well I ordered a Ninja Majestouch-2 with MX Browns in the end, if anyone's interested. After reading a hell of a lot of 5-star reviews I decided to forgo extras and spend a bit of money on what sounds like fantastic build quality instead.

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

:3: Hockey Otter :3:
I'm sure this has been asked before but.... Anyone used this?

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-deathstalker-ultimate

Looks super kitschy, but it could be useful for managing music while gaming.

Or you know, you could Alt+tab, but still. Anyone have REAL experience with it?

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Nizox posted:

I really don't understand which market they're aiming for with this one. I know chicklets last a bit longer than domestyle in general, but I hate gaming and typing on them personally. I know someone that has the Switchblade Laptop with the same style touchscreen and while it looks loving awesome, it's pretty laggy and doesn't register keypresses an annoying amount. No idea if the Keyboard only version is any better, but from my experience with the Switchblade, its gimmicky and not worth the cash.

EDIT: It's called the Blade Laptop, my bad

I saw this monster posted on Facebook a few days ago. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want one just for the ridiculous factor.

http://youtu.be/3AbwJON7ECk

Astrobastard fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Aug 18, 2012

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

chippy posted:

Well I ordered a Ninja Majestouch-2 with MX Browns in the end, if anyone's interested. After reading a hell of a lot of 5-star reviews I decided to forgo extras and spend a bit of money on what sounds like fantastic build quality instead.

Well, this is very nice, if a little odd. I'm constantly bottoming out the keys at the moment, I guess I will have to try and train myself out of that. The space bar in particularly is clunking quite hard. I think I was expecting them to feel a little heavier. That said, my old keyboard feels mushy and horrible already.

Build quality is fantastic, this thing is built like a tank.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYGhJDCdtXA

This looks neat but I bet it won't be mechanical.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

metachronos posted:

Nope. It does, however, have a "specially engineered membrane which mimics the tactile feel generated by the mechanical keys often preferred by gamers - - without the resultant excessive noise." Whatever that is.

Source link.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,

metachronos posted:

I love retarded over the top controller junk, I HAVE to have that.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

chippy posted:

Well, this is very nice, if a little odd. I'm constantly bottoming out the keys at the moment, I guess I will have to try and train myself out of that. The space bar in particularly is clunking quite hard. I think I was expecting them to feel a little heavier. That said, my old keyboard feels mushy and horrible already.

Oh god my work keyboard feels awful. How do I get my company to buy a decent one?

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

chippy posted:

Oh god my work keyboard feels awful. How do I get my company to buy a decent one?

If it's anything like mine they'll just tell you to bring it to work :(

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

chippy posted:

Pitch it as a way to avoid repetitive stress injuries. I know lovely peripherals cause my pinky and ring finger to go numb as hell if I'm not careful and use wrist rests and decent equipment, so I have to avoid carpal tunnel symptoms. I know a mechanical isn't specifically ergonomic but it sure causes less stress on the fingers.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
It seems unlikely to be honest unless I start faking severe hand pain or something. Maybe I'll just see if I can find one a bit cheaper than the Majestouch and get myself a work keyboard too. I wonder what sort of odd looks that would draw from the other devs, I don't think I've ever seen anyone bring their own keyboard into work before.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

chippy posted:

It seems unlikely to be honest unless I start faking severe hand pain or something. Maybe I'll just see if I can find one a bit cheaper than the Majestouch and get myself a work keyboard too. I wonder what sort of odd looks that would draw from the other devs, I don't think I've ever seen anyone bring their own keyboard into work before.

You can be a trend setter. If folks try it they'll probably like it.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

chippy posted:

Probably no odd looks unless it's loud. My fellow devs at work couldn't give a lesser poo poo what my peripherals are. They're just now starting to actually care about software engineering so caring about keyboards, chairs, headphones, and their general environment is probably kind of far off.

I hear Alps Duckies are awesome for typing and are cheap, that might be a good work option. I'm not as familiar with Alps switches, though, so I can't make any recommendations.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

chippy posted:

I got mine a few days ago too (non ninja version) and I'm totally in love with it. I knew Brown switches from the Cherry G80-3000 I use at work, but it is incredible how much better the whole build quality and typing feel of the Filco is compared to the already very good Cherry. I was wary spending 170 € for a keyboard, but it's totally worth it. Also, I now can bludgeon robbers to death with it if they happen to come into my home office.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

Nizox posted:

I used one at PAX Prime last year at the Razer booth. At first I thought it was gimmicky as all hell, then I used it for 10 minutes and fell in love.

For compatible games, it's amazing. In League of Legends, the trackpad LCD can show different information like score or the minimap, and the LCD buttons above it change based on champ that you're using and show the skill icon. It's still gimmicky, and it would basically change the entire way you may place your hands normally on the keyboard, but I found it incredibly cool. What I didn't find cool was the goddamn price tag.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
gently caress, you guys have it easy when it comes to mechanical keyboards. It's a nightmare in the UK. I'm trying to hunt down something with MX Browns on the cheaper end of the scale (say, £50-60) and it's a total nightmare.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

chippy posted:

gently caress, you guys have it easy when it comes to mechanical keyboards. It's a nightmare in the UK. I'm trying to hunt down something with MX Browns on the cheaper end of the scale (say, £50-60) and it's a total nightmare.

:(:hf::(

The Leopold Tenkeyless with Browns seems cheap but I can't find a UK layout for it.

The Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Tenkeyless is £120 and is probably the cheapest good one I've found.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Yeah the Majestouch-2 is awesome, I just got one for home (not tenkeyless though, I like my num pad) and I'm absolutely loving it. That's why I want one for work now, as my work keyboard now feels like poo poo, but I'm not spending another £120 on a keyboard for work. Not at the moment anyway.

Layout wise, am I right in thinking I could just switch the keycaps round and change the language in Windows if I got a US one? Other than the positions of " and @ being switched, what are the differences?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Do you guys (in the UK) use ISO keyboards? Or do you also have some sort of weird nation-specific one?

I know in ISO, the ~ is moved, as is #, and the pipe/backslash characters.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 23, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Cream_Filling posted:

Do you guys (in the UK) use ISO keyboards? Or do you also have some sort of weird nation-specific one?

I know in ISO, the ~ is moved, as is #, and the pipe/backslash characters.

Yeah, the standard UK keyboard is 105-key, short left poo poo, tall enter, £ where # is on 3, # on a key next to enter above right shift. Couple of pointless changes too such as @ and " being swapped.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, the standard UK keyboard is 105-key, short left poo poo, tall enter, £ where # is on 3, # on a key next to enter above right shift. Couple of pointless changes too such as @ and " being swapped.

Why the hell would you exchange @ and double quote? Do you guys not use double quotes that much?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Cream_Filling posted:

Why the hell would you exchange @ and double quote? Do you guys not use double quotes that much?

I'm just explaining the changes. I have no clue why, seems retarded to me!

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I'm using a UK layout Filco with US keybinds because I'm used to that layout.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
Finally! Now I don't have to worry about cat hair, cheeto-dust, semen-stains, and general gamer smegma on keyboards any more!

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/K310-Keyboard-Washable-Drainage-Holes-Logitech,17090.html

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I'm looking for a wireless keyboard/mouse combo that falls under the "Media Center" column in the OP. It's for gaming in a HTPC/"living room" setting that meets the following criteria:

- Reliable
- Rechargable
- Full-size keyboard
- Geared toward gaming / illuminated keys
- Reasonable price (less than $100...the less the better)

I was looking at the Logitech MX 5500 Revolution that looks pretty sweet (I love Logitech), but $135 is steep for me right now. Should I save up for it or look at other, similar products?

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

Cream_Filling posted:

In British English it's more popular to use single quote marks instead of double.

Also the US layout is stupid. :colbert:

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

ArcticZombie posted:

In British English it's more popular to use single quote marks instead of double.

Also the US layout is stupid. :colbert:

How large do you really need that enter key? :v:

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:
Got a blue basekey wasd keyboard with yellow wasd keys and white esc.

Feels awesome. Hard to see the prints on the keys but I'm not looking at it so whatever :colbert:

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

ArcticZombie posted:

Is it? I was taught to use double quotes at school, and single quotes for speech within speech.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

chippy posted:

Is it? I was taught to use double quotes at school, and single quotes for speech within speech.

Working in books I would definitely say so. Ultimately it's down to the author or publisher's style but it's very common for them to use single quotes here.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Rosewill Mechanical Keyboards with Cherry MX [Brown|Blue] Switches $67

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I have: $150

I want: An amazing feeling, tactile, VERY well built keyboard. I'll be using it for some gaming and general internet use. Aesthetically i'd prefer it to look well put together and simple. I don't really need macro buttons or anything. Quietness is a plus but not a requirement. What kind of options do I have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Kilometers Davis posted:

I have: $150

I want: An amazing feeling, tactile, VERY well built keyboard. I'll be using it for some gaming and general internet use. Aesthetically i'd prefer it to look well put together and simple. I don't really need macro buttons or anything. Quietness is a plus but not a requirement. What kind of options do I have?

I currently have two Leopold Tenkeyless boards. One white with the caps printed, and one blank black. Both with Blue switches. I think they feel absolutely amazing. Some people are not fond of the stabilizers and would recommend a Filco instead (similar board, just the stabilizers are different on some keys).

Leopold:
http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold,tenkeyless&pid=fc200rcabn

Filco:
http://www.amazon.com/Filco-Majestouch-2-Tenkeyless-FKBN87MC-EB2/dp/B004WOF7S0

Do you need/prefer the number pad?

• Locked thread