Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Please be the space-ship section, Reef. Please.

e: Reminder that the OP is open for ideas, suggestions. Currently writing and fleshing out section per section with information learned over beta, after that it's time to add visual flair and images were applicable. Currently trying to work out a good visual representation of the classes and their starter class and all that.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

haveblue posted:

That looks like the same as the database dump we've been talking about.

It is. Delete the companion app if you have it installed, have your phone use a computer with a network tracer (wire shark) for internet, reinstall and launch the app. Observe the two very obvious URLs it grabs the db content from. Congrats, you can write secretive pieces for gaming news sites about leaks and crap from two incomplete SQLite database files!

The article doesn't even mention Saturn, which is in the database place table.

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
IGN got the scoop on another mid-size multiplayer map. This one is on Earth, just outside of the Last City.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/28/destiny-multiplayer-map-revealed-twilight-gap-a-ign-first

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

A co-op horde mode where fire teams defend the flags on the crucible control maps would be awesome, I think.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

a foolish pianist posted:

A co-op horde mode where fire teams defend the flags on the crucible control maps would be awesome, I think.

I cannot believe in today's day and age that a horde mode doesn't make it into the game at some point. This game is ripe for it, especially as we see more advanced hierarchy mobs.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I think it would be more interesting if they took sections from each of the exploration maps and made it into a horde mode co-op map. Where Guardians have to split up or dash between relays, defending them. While taking out targets of opportunity.

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.
Isn't this the speculation behind the 'Vanguard' area spotted on the spoiler map?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

a cop posted:

This article makes me sad:

rip

Wait, Paul McCartney is working/has worked on the soundtrack? How had I missed that?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Aries posted:

Isn't this the speculation behind the 'Vanguard' area spotted on the spoiler map?

That's the speculation in this thread which is obviously correct yes.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I wish I knew exactly what Paul McCartney worked on for the score. That's pretty huge.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Triggsz posted:

This is so loving stupid.

You're paying $150 to cheat at a console shooter.

He's a Bungie dev so I think he's using it for reasons aside from cheating.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Hopefully figuring out how to detect it and ban it from use

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
I played the beta on a PS3 because I've been holding off on getting a ps4. I was considering getting the White Destiny PS4 bundle but something dawned on me. Can someone confirm/deny/correct the below statements for me:

If I buy Destiny for PS3 I can play the game without any other associated fees.

If I buy Destiny for PS4 I'll need to maintain a paid PSN+ account.

I don't need to be sold on psn+, I had 15 months included with my PS3. It's a great service, just not really something I feel I need.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Its hilarious how angry some of you people are getting over someone buying an XIM to play games with. Who gives a gently caress? He's a grown rear end man, let him do what he wants.

You're all acting like he's spending your $150.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

McFunkerson posted:

I played the beta on a PS3 because I've been holding off on getting a ps4. I was considering getting the White Destiny PS4 bundle but something dawned on me. Can someone confirm/deny/correct the below statements for me:

I don't need to be sold on psn+, I had 15 months included with my PS3. It's a great service, just not really something I feel I need.

True story. PS+ includes so many free games for your PS4 and PS3 though that its never felt like a bad deal to me. Xbox Live was a horrible rip off.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

McFunkerson posted:

I believe the menu system when you ran the cross hair over the maps stated certain zones were locked out if you didn't have PS+, and all those were the multiplayer zones. I'm not sure if that means you can zone into the Tower, and invite friends to do storyline missions with you, but I doubt it.

Moot point if you want to play Vs. anyway, yes you'll have to subscribe.

On the plus side (see what I did there?) slickdeals.net always has $40 year subscriptions popping up on the frontpage.

whoknew posted:

True story. PS+ includes so many free games for your PS4 and PS3 though that its never felt like a bad deal to me. Xbox Live was a horrible rip off.

Considering both consoles now charge for playing multiplayer online PS+ seems like the better deal with the free games, but wasn't Xbox Live doing the same thing last year, just not to the same awesome degree?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Diametunim posted:

Its hilarious how angry some of you people are getting over someone buying an XIM to play games with. Who gives a gently caress? He's a grown rear end man, let him do what he wants.

It's more like $137 with 2-3 day shipping since it's tax free. :D

Nitramster posted:

Considering both consoles now charge for playing multiplayer online PS+ seems like the better deal with the free games, but wasn't Xbox Live doing the same thing last year, just not to the same awesome degree?

The games they offered at the start were pretty ho-hum since most people already owned them or they could be had for $5 or less at Gamestop but the selection is apparently getting better. Still not as impressive as what Sony is offering, though.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 29, 2014

Dart
Jan 11, 2012

Fateo McMurray posted:

Hopefully figuring out how to detect it and ban it from use

There is really no reason to get this upset over some small perceived advantage in a video game. You'll never be able to tell if someone is using a mouse anyway, they could just be better than you.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Diametunim posted:

How daaaaaaaaare I have a problem with getting my rear end handed to me because there isn't a level playing field. I already have to deal with lovely west coast Canadian internet speeds, and my terrible skill, and now there's even more ways to kick my rear end? No thank you sir.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Dart posted:

There is really no reason to get this upset over some small perceived advantage in a video game. You'll never be able to tell if someone is using a mouse anyway, they could just be better than you.

Oh he'll know. He'll know...

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

leidend posted:

How daaaaaaaaare I have a problem with getting my rear end handed to me because there isn't a level playing field. I already have to deal with lovely west coast Canadian internet speeds, and my terrible skill, and now there's even more ways to kick my rear end? No thank you sir.

Go ahead and make up some totally arbitrary number of XIM users out there who will be better than you with their sweet m/kb combo in Destiny.

That number will still be hilariously, hilariously tiny relative to the active PvP userbase in Destiny. Orders of magnitude smaller than the number of players that will just be plain better than you.

I'd recommend the saner path of not getting angry that people out there will be better at you in Destiny, for whatever reason, but v:shobon:v

If Bungie's matchmaking is remotely good, you'll only be in a match with a XIM player once in a blue moon anyway if they're around your skill level accounting for the controller difference.

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:
There's no reason to be mad at people that use KB/M for console games.

You should pity them instead, because they feel like they need to spend $150 to not use a controller to get their sweet k/d up.

They probably have small dicks too, oddly shaped ones. Bless their hearts.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Diametunim posted:

Depending on the reviews, I plan on buying one.

The cognitive dissonance of it hilarious. Buy a better TV or monitor for extra clarity? No problem. Get a better headset to hear footsteps out whatever? A okay. In the case of a PC, upgrade the whole drat thing? Go for it. Buy extension sticks for better control at higher sensitivities? Sure.

Get a controller adapter to replace the controller with mkb?

:nyd: and call then a cheater.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Cute as heck posted:

There's no reason to be mad at people that use KB/M for console games.

You should pity them instead, because they feel like they need to spend $150 to not use a controller to get their sweet k/d up.

They probably have small dicks too, oddly shaped ones. Bless their hearts.

Goodness, I'd hate to hear what you have to say about the $300 video card I bought to get better frame rates in BF4.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

lol you spent $300 to be better at a :dice: game

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Well that is pretty shameful.

I mean, Battlefield 4...

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Has anyone on SA ever legitimately complained about people with surround-sound headphones having an unfair advantage?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

victrix posted:

Go ahead and make up some totally arbitrary number of XIM users out there who will be better than you with their sweet m/kb combo in Destiny.

That number will still be hilariously, hilariously tiny relative to the active PvP userbase in Destiny. Orders of magnitude smaller than the number of players that will just be plain better than you.

I'd recommend the saner path of not getting angry that people out there will be better at you in Destiny, for whatever reason, but v:shobon:v

If Bungie's matchmaking is remotely good, you'll only be in a match with a XIM player once in a blue moon anyway if they're around your skill level accounting for the controller difference.

In case you didn't notice I mentioned that it is far from my only obstacle in my quest to not suck at FPSes.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
You can immediately spot all the poo poo posts because people are still throwing that $150 number around even after a couple posts mentioning what it actually costs...

victrix posted:

This.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Has anyone on SA ever legitimately complained about people with surround-sound headphones having an unfair advantage?

Why would anyone when those things are inferior to a real 5.1/7.1 surround setup?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Nitramster posted:

You can immediately spot all the poo poo posts because people are still throwing that $150 number around even after a couple posts mentioning what it actually costs...

This.

I'm sorry. $125. Doesn't make it better.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

FishBulb posted:

Well that is pretty shameful.

I mean, Battlefield 4...

Eh, I liked it once the servers became relatively stable. More than BF3 anyways.

Neither were as good as BC2, though. :sigh:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I put BF4 on ebay in anticipation of never touching it again with Destiny/TLOU multiplayer on its way, and some idiot bid $37 for it. Thanks bro.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I wish I could do that with digital versions. :(

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

leidend posted:

Me, I'm just really, really, really bad at FPS' in general & specifically FPS multiplayer Pvp.

That's my excuse.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Republicans posted:

Eh, I liked it once the servers became relatively stable. More than BF3 anyways.

Neither were as good as BC2, though. :sigh:

It's cool. I bought it too. Still though.

Shameful.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

leidend posted:

In case you didn't notice I mentioned that it is far from my only obstacle in my quest to not suck at FPSes.

My point is there's no use in externalizing the reasons for your suckage. Embrace your suckage, revel in it.

Play with goons, give no fucks about your sweet k/d. As long as you're bombing some fools with space magic and having a good time, who gives a poo poo about the rest.

Either you improve or you don't, but the myth of a level playing field is just that. You're in a match against NinjaSlayerMcNasty and he is younger, quicker, more experienced, has a bigger tv, a better sound system, a comfier couch, a faster internet connection, a modded controller, a better build, better gear, no distractions, and a case of caffiene beside him. You are space dust beneath his mighty Exotic armored boots.

Don't get mad at the possibility of someone having an edge over you. There are already tens or hundreds of thousands of people who do have an edge over you, and even if you're MLGHaloMasterPRO in the top 1% of all players in Destiny, there will still be someone better than you.

Trust that Bungie's matchmaking won't be poo poo (which historically has been true), and play with a good group of folks to have a good time, regardless of who you're up against.

And that's my Zen advice for the day :pray:

(and yes, I realize you're not really SUPER ANGRY about some dude with a XIM, I'm just sayin')

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I don't think anyone is mad about XIM. Just that it's funny that people pay that amount of money just so they never have to touch a controller.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

victrix posted:

And that's my Zen advice for the day :pray:

Thanks for that. Just FYI I'm a 34 year old whose first FPS was Wolfenstein and I played UT99 so much that I got carpal tunnel syndrome so I know the pleasure of both being that caffeined-up 19 year old little poo poo with super-human reflexes/unlimited playing time and the old man who can't possibly compete anymore or even play more than three hours per week but still has fun.

I thought it was obvious my posts have been fully tongue in cheek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

leidend posted:

Thanks for that. Just FYI I'm a 34 year old whose first FPS was Wolfenstein and I played UT99 so much that I got carpal tunnel syndrome so I know the pleasure of both being that caffeined-up 19 year old little poo poo with super-human reflexes/unlimited playing time and the old man who can't possibly compete anymore or even play more than three hours per week but still has fun.

I thought it was obvious my posts have been fully tongue in cheek.

I dunno dude... the way you talk about that Internet....

loving Canadian internet.

• Locked thread