Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

In LBP1, no, but for LBP2 you can go to http://lbp.me and browse all custom levels, then add them to a queue which you can then access directly from your PS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Baggot posted:

In LBP1, no, but for LBP2 you can go to http://lbp.me and browse all custom levels, then add them to a queue which you can then access directly from your PS3.

Not exactly what I mean. I mean like download them so I can play them forever even if they levels get banned. I remember hearing about some awesome Contra and Mario recreations that got banned. I mean you can find some things like them now, but in the future who knows.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I guess you could save a local copy of the level (to "edit") as long as it's not locked, and then you could access it from your Moon and "test"-play it whenever you want.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Shame there is no real way to do it but that works. Thanks :)

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

revolther posted:

Wait, what moronic Assassins Creed apologist is saying anything bad about the new Hitman? It's Hitman the worst iteration was still awesome for a console game.

Don't go into the topic about the game. Fans are pretty upset about it, with some good reason since many don't like change. But I actually think the changes look interesting since I felt the old style of the games was stagnant and woefully outdated.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Fair warning: this post is going to sound incredibly bitchy. Sorry 'bout that.

Does anyone have experience getting a refund on a game? I doubt it's possible, but goddammit do I want my loving $10 back from buying Chrono Trigger. I should have researched it more before clicking buy, but the loving load times are so frustrating. I thought I'd be able to ignore it, but it's a good 5 or 6 second pause every time you open the menu. Just as a test, I set it up on an emulator and it plays so much faster. I'm just gonna call that 7 hours a learning experience and start over on another system.

Apparently the PSN version is just an exact version of the PS1 game, which also suffered from the same issue. Oh well, I suppose.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

Don't go into the topic about the game. Fans are pretty upset about it, with some good reason since many don't like change. But I actually think the changes look interesting since I felt the old style of the games was stagnant and woefully outdated.

That topic hurts my brain, especially when the "Hitman: Conviction" gets posted.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

3D Dot Hero is loving amazing. So many little touches that are just amazing.

Still trying to get used to little big planets wonky controls...they feel a bit loose. Not as tight as mario but not as slippery and floaty as past sonic games. Is there a way to download custom levels to play them later offline?

The controls [well, I'd say it's more a case of the player physics] in LBP suck balls, have fun at the end of the game when said physics will lead to so much rage

I still haven't picked it back up, but I need to, because the custom levels make up for that poo poo. I still remember some ridiculously fun Batman themed level I played like a year ago.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah it's best not to, even if I disagree with your views on the other hitman games. I'm surprised nobody has gone to personally insult a poster in that thread. It's getting there though.

Ah EC it's not bitchy. I know how you feel. I remember when it came out on PSX I was like. FF4 and Chrono trigger? TAKE my money! Then I saw the loading times on CT. Yeah.

I even went far as to double dip when the DS version came out.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Code Jockey posted:

The controls [well, I'd say it's more a case of the player physics] in LBP suck balls, have fun at the end of the game when said physics will lead to so much rage
They're... well, they're really not bad, you just have to get used to them.

Somewhere around the third level I'd built, I stopped noticing them entirely, and they were just "controls." They have quirks, you learn the quirks, you move on.

Another way of putting it is - what you give up in controls, you get back in world interactivity. If they'd gone for 100% accurate controls, your character could never have been as physically responsive as it is, which would have substantially limited what the editor could do for player interaction with level elements. So sure, up against Mario, LBP's controls are rear end, but I'm not in LBP to play Mario, I'm there for that awesome Dead Space level, or to powerbomb a dude in a crappy Prototype-based level, or whatever else. Mario can't do that.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Hold on a second, my experience with LBP is very light, but if the controls aren't "accurate" then what are they? Is it like, making guesses about where you actually meant to jump, or something like that?

Though I did reasonably ok with them I do know that there is SOMETHING weird about them though, because I watched my roomate, who can beat half of Megaman 9 (which is way the hell more than I can) absolutely bomb the tutorial level in LBP.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I always felt the physics in LBP felt "floaty" compared to other platformers. I like the game, but I wouldn't say it has the most rigid platforming physics.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

EC posted:

Fair warning: this post is going to sound incredibly bitchy. Sorry 'bout that.

Does anyone have experience getting a refund on a game? I doubt it's possible, but goddammit do I want my loving $10 back from buying Chrono Trigger. I should have researched it more before clicking buy, but the loving load times are so frustrating. I thought I'd be able to ignore it, but it's a good 5 or 6 second pause every time you open the menu. Just as a test, I set it up on an emulator and it plays so much faster. I'm just gonna call that 7 hours a learning experience and start over on another system.

Apparently the PSN version is just an exact version of the PS1 game, which also suffered from the same issue. Oh well, I suppose.

If only complaining could get me back the money I wasted on terribly-emulated PS1 games on PSN... the best part was spending 10 bucks on some final fantasy game which only accepted D-Pad control, my thumb nearly fell off before I gave up and admitted I'd wasted the money

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Aphrodite posted:

You should also be able to redeem codes there. They won't queue or anything though, you'll need to get them from your Download List in the store.

I know you can redeem like PSN monetary card codes. Can you redeem like beta codes and poo poo too?!

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Feenix posted:

I know you can redeem like PSN monetary card codes. Can you redeem like beta codes and poo poo too?!
You can redeem any PSN code.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

This is cute and all guys, but instead of getting all defensive over some consumer electronic, could we talk about the awesome exclusives for it?

I'll bite the bullet for wipeout hd ($25 holy poo poo) because it is too loving awesome to say no. Is the online community still active?

Can you seriously stop passive aggressive poo poo stirring in here? PS3 does what it does. It doesn't do what it doesn't do. Maybe research your consumer electronics purchases a bit better before buying. We all are well past it. People who want to suggest games to you will answer one of your 3 or 4 posts demanding they do so since yesterday. Settle down just a little bit, maybe.

Crows Turn Off posted:

You can redeem any PSN code.

gently caress to the yes, homie!

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Hold on a second, my experience with LBP is very light, but if the controls aren't "accurate" then what are they? Is it like, making guesses about where you actually meant to jump, or something like that?

Though I did reasonably ok with them I do know that there is SOMETHING weird about them though, because I watched my roomate, who can beat half of Megaman 9 (which is way the hell more than I can) absolutely bomb the tutorial level in LBP.

Think of LBP as the platforming equivilent of Halo. It's slower and floatier, but that's the whole point in the first place. People seem to disregard how lovely the industry would be if every game had the exact same physics and controls etc.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MUFFlNS posted:

Think of LBP as the platforming equivilent of Halo. It's slower and floatier, but that's the whole point in the first place. People seem to disregard how lovely the industry would be if every game had the exact same physics and controls etc.
What I was asking is, is it DYNAMICALLY interpreting your movement based on the environment? Like how in Assassin's Creed or whatever it adjusts your jumps to be the right distance to grab onto things? That's what his post sounded like.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I think more people had problems with the collision detection in LBP than the actual jumping controls. Which is why it seems perfectly good jumps wouldn't register and things like that.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

Bad terminology in an attempt to be brief. What I'm talking about is (incoming :words:):

So, when you're making a character meant to interact with a physical world, you generally can not simply set its position. That would potentially warp the collision bound of the thing you just moved to be interpenetrating with another thing. When that happens, sure, you can smoothly depenetrate, but that typically ends you at what's called player-assertive movement (no matter what you walk through, no matter its mass, it bumps out of your way - think dynamic rubble in most character action games, and how it moves aside like styrofoam). You could also depenetrate with the object's position as assertive, but now it's an immobile object that the player can't bump by walking into it (think character action games where stacks of boxes et al don't move if you walk on them, only if you explode something/etc near them). To avoid the problem, you have to drive the player by acceleration (ie. just applying forces) or by velocity.

If you drive the player directly by velocity, you get almost 100% responsive controls, but what you're doing amounts to applying a near-infinite force (you're accelerating the player to target velocity in a single frame, no matter what). This is a good middle ground, but the world still won't behave entirely properly when you bump into things - you'll tend to have way more force than you should be capable of. It also makes net prediction a nightmare, since players can change direction instantly, and so might be a poor choice for... say... games focused on co-op platforming? It can also gently caress up the stability of the physics sim, depending on middleware.

Your third option is to drive the player by acceleration. Think of it like physically prodding the player character with your finger in the direction you want it to go, pushing it up to speed. This means that there is a non-zero window of time before a player's inputs fully affect the desired outcome, and can make the whole thing feel a bit spongy. However, it simulates really well, the player character interacts well with everything (since it's "just another physical object" for most purposes), and you can pretty accurately predict player movement over the network given the relatively slow and consistent changes in direction.

... and I do not know how they did it in LBP, but going by feel, I'd say they chose option #3. It's the right choice to make given the feature set they were aiming for, but it does have an impact on control responsiveness and play feel. Physics engines are also getting fancier with the options exposed for controlled objects, so a lot of this is getting less fiddly / again depends on middleware.

EDIT: VV Right there with ya dude. gently caress that loving level. I DID finally get by with no deaths or 3 deaths or whatever the trophy requirement was, but jeeesssus loving christ that was a bitch and a half.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 3, 2011

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Yeah, okay, really I get the physics of LBP I guess, and appreciate what the goal of them was, but I guess just gently caress the electrified ferris wheel of doom is what I'm sayin

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I played LBP1 with my wife and had a pretty good time but neither of us got used to the controls and quit about halfway through the main story levels, played a handfull of custom levels then never touched it again. I think it kept us occupied for a week or so. Didn't even bother with LBP2 because of how lackluster the first was. I'm also in the camp that says Uncharted 1 isn't that great and should be skipped in favour of the 2nd though.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Kly posted:

I played LBP1 with my wife and had a pretty good time but neither of us got used to the controls and quit about halfway through the main story levels, played a handfull of custom levels then never touched it again. I think it kept us occupied for a week or so. Didn't even bother with LBP2 because of how lackluster the first was. I'm also in the camp that says Uncharted 1 isn't that great and should be skipped in favour of the 2nd though.

You should give it a chance. It's everything I felt the first game should have been, especially in terms of presentation and gameplay variety.

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009

Behonkiss posted:

You should give it a chance. It's everything I felt the first game should have been, especially in terms of presentation and gameplay variety.

I couldn't stand LBP1 but I agree with Behonkiss that you should try the second. The levels are much better and playing co-op is some of the most fun I've had with a game in a long time. The controls are still the same though.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Behonkiss posted:

Is it really that much better?

I gave it a pass because I played the first to death, and couldn't imagine the second somehow being better than all the LBP1 levels I'd already kind of burned myself out on.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Shalinor posted:

Is it really that much better?

Yes, absolutely. The overhauled toolset let them do so much more within the campaign, and this time they tried to make it look as poslished as possible, rather than half-being a construction guide. All the joins, seams and underlying mechanisms are hidden in LBP2s campaign.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
Please make PaRappa on PS3, not old ones or UmJammer :banjo:

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I got my PS3 when the slims first came out. It came with Uncharted 1 but I never played it 'cause I thought it was just some old crappy freebie at the time. Anywho, I got the flu and was really sick of playing BF3 and MW3 so I tried Uncharted 1....HOLY SMOKES!! What have I been missing?! I played through the game in one sitting and can't wait to pick up the sequel. I'm kinda glad I'm behind because Uncharted 2 is now ~$20 and I also have 3 to look forward to.

My question is...why aren't other PS3 games of this quality? Why can't Naughty Dog sell licenses to their engine so we get better PS3 games? I can't believe I have been playing a game from 2007 and it felt like the best game I played all year.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There actually is a lot of tech sharing between the Sony first parties.

Even with exclusive third parties, like Insomniac. At least until they went multi-plat, anyway.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

You're in for a treat because UC2 improves on every single thing. It's so much better, it's unbelievable. You will be surprised by the jump in quality. I loved UC3 as well, but one of the bigger complaints is that it's almost exactly the same game just with updated set-pieces (but again I loved it).

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Housh posted:

I got my PS3 when the slims first came out. It came with Uncharted 1 but I never played it 'cause I thought it was just some old crappy freebie at the time. Anywho, I got the flu and was really sick of playing BF3 and MW3 so I tried Uncharted 1....HOLY SMOKES!! What have I been missing?! I played through the game in one sitting and can't wait to pick up the sequel. I'm kinda glad I'm behind because Uncharted 2 is now ~$20 and I also have 3 to look forward to.

My question is...why aren't other PS3 games of this quality? Why can't Naughty Dog sell licenses to their engine so we get better PS3 games? I can't believe I have been playing a game from 2007 and it felt like the best game I played all year.

Because Amy Henning is an amazing person who actually tries to make a quality product instead of just pumping out a story about shooting people.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Housh posted:

This will be repeated to ad infinitum, but if you like adventure games give Dark Souls and its predecessor Demon Souls a try. They have great atmosphere, responsive controls and they graphics are very pretty too :) The former wowed me so much that not much other games have come close, and with this year's line up of triple-A titles that's really saying something.

The forum we have for the games are also really helpful and active if you get stuck because it's a challenging game.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Crappy Jack posted:

Because Amy Henning is an amazing person who actually tries to make a quality product instead of just pumping out a story about shooting people.

I just recently learned that she was one of the top people on the Legacy of Kain games from Soul Reaver onwards. If there ever was a seal of quality, that would be it.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Housh posted:

Give God of War III a try. Be amazed.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

So despite having loved Killzone 2 and finding it to be an absolutely amazing shooter, I thought Killzone 3 was quite poo poo and was disappointed along with everybody else.

I've recently popped it in to finally go through the campaign and give the multiplayer a second chance and it's actually not that bad these days. I dunno if it's because playing Modern Warfare 3 and Gears of War 3 makes Killzone 3 seem better than before, but I'm actually having a fair bit of fun with it. Go figure :allears:

It's also worth noting that MAWLR Graveyard goes from being unbelievably poo poo in Warzone to hilarious fun in Operations mode. Surprising what a difference having designated spawns and a few extra routes does for the fun factor of a multiplayer map :D

Krad posted:

Give God of War III a try. Be amazed.

I keep getting the urge to replay that game so badly, and the same goes for the first two Uncharted games. Traditionally I've been the type of person to be done with a game once I finish it but Sony really has belted out some absolute classics from their first party studios this console gen.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Dr Snofeld posted:

I just recently learned that she was one of the top people on the Legacy of Kain games from Soul Reaver onwards. If there ever was a seal of quality, that would be it.
... oh, drat, and now her career suddenly makes more sense.

Yeah, Amy's an amazing writer and general narrative designer. To be fair, though, Uncharted is ALSO driven by an amazing tech team, which (unlike most amazing tech teams) is still apparently able to work well with the designers and artists.

Basically, (most) other companies can't do Uncharted-level games because they're not Naughty Dog. The team driving those games is world class. Even if you handed the Uncharted 3 engine off to another company, odds are very good they could never push the system anywhere near as hard with it.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Naughty Dog is defintely one of Sony's best teams, if not the best. I'm honestly surprised that the first party studios don't get much credit in the general media despite a lot of impressive games being made this gen.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I honestly think Naughty Dog should try making Uncharted more of an adventure puzzle/platformer than an action game. A slower game with more emphasis on exploration and puzzle solving than killing thousands of mercenaries in ancient ruins. Of course there'll be action sequences but having only a few of them will give Naughty Dog make them pretty spectacular and players won't suffer from battle fatigue.

The brand is strong enough to give it a shot, even if it's a "side story" separate from the main franchise.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah no, I wouldn't enjoy that at all. No point in ruining a good thing and there are plenty of games that fill that niche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I'm kinda conflicted on that personally. On one hand I think combat is the strong point of Uncharted and what makes the game (and it's multiplayer component) so amazing. On the other hand though when they get around to developing for the PS4, if they stick with the Uncharted series then all that extra horsepower would open up the opportunity for less linear environments to explore.

I do like the thought of running through a much bigger jungle environment engaging in firefights and having many ways to approach enemies (like in Crysis for example) and then coming to a clearing with a hugeass temple you can approach and explore however you want to.

I think that's the main improvement I'd like to see to the series really, is just much bigger areas to explore and run around in :)

• Locked thread