Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That erases the save from the original cartridge.

To do it right you'll need one of these to back up the cartridge save:

https://powersaves3ds.maximummemory.com/

Speaking of which, time to unlock everything in Smash Brothers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

Dehry posted:

That erases the save from the original cartridge.

To do it right you'll need one of these to back up the cartridge save:

https://powersaves3ds.maximummemory.com/

Speaking of which, time to unlock everything in Smash Brothers.

Oh hell no. I'd rather just start over on the digital version if that's the case. I wouldn't want to erase my friend's other save slots and give the cartridge back to him.

e: what about the save data backup option on the home screen? That can't just be restored to a digital copy?

zfleeman fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 10, 2014

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

zfleeman posted:

Oh hell no. I'd rather just start over on the digital version if that's the case. I wouldn't want to erase my friend's other save slots and give the cartridge back to him.

e: what about the save data backup option on the home screen? That can't just be restored to a digital copy?

As far as I know, Save Data Backup is intended for digital copies so that you don't have to store a 2 gig file on your PC when you want to keep your save and won't work with the cartridge version.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
Okay, fine. Problem solved: I stopped playing on his version, and bought it on the eShop. I think it should only take me thirty minutes to catch up.

...I also picked up Brawl while I was on there. Excited to spend some quality time with my 2DS this weekend!

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Rage McDougal posted:

I went to plug in my 3DS to charge today and it turns out that the metal covering of the part that plugs into my 3DS has got slightly squashed. It's barely noticable, but enought that it won't fit anymore. Does anyone have any advice about getting it back into shape without breaking it? Or should I just get a new charger?

At that point you might as well buy a new charger, they're pretty cheap anyway.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

just grab some needlenose pliers and bend it back unless it's like completely crushed

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Just 100%ed DKC Returns 3d (not 200%, I don't really care to do it all again on mirror mode). I bought Tropical Freeze during the Smash sale and wanted to experience the 3ds exclusive levels before getting too far into DKC: TF.

This game was a lot better than I remember it being, probably because of lack of motion controls this time through. I feel that the level design in the second half of the game is exciting and difficult but in a good way.

One downside I feel is that there's no actual gameplay reward for collecting puzzle pieces, which makes me often decide not to bother. However, this is acceptable because it lets the player still 100% the game while deciding for themselves how thoroughly they wish to explore each level. That's also great from a speedrunning perspective since a runner could intend to do an all-levels run but ignore puzzle pieces to save time (I don't know what the actual speedrunning community for the game is like).

Definitely pleased with this, especially since I got it free from Club Nintendo, and Tropical Freeze is shaping up to be a step up.

Additionally, I am just getting into Layton vs Wright. I just finished the prologue and I am pleased with how well they captured the feeling of both series so far, both in style and gameplay.

edit: I forgot that I made this post intended to comment on the design of DKCR3D's 3ds exclusive levels. They were interesting but after all the K levels I felt like they weren't a new high-level challenge like I was expecting. It almost felt like I was playing a "deleted scene" from each world, which makes me wonder if there were scrapped levels or just ideas they didn't use in the Wii version that made them put together a few levels of bonus content.

Nep-Nep fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 11, 2014

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Argy Bargy posted:

Is The Keep any good?
I enjoy that sort of game, both Strange Journey and Grimrock are right up my alley, and I'm looking for a tide over until Persona Q comes. The graphics look basic but I've heard good things about it, just wondering if it's worth playing.

This has come up a couple of times in this thread, but I don't think anyone here has purchased it. The reviews look good and it's fairly cheap, so take the plunge and be the first to let us know if it's worth playing.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Well my New is downloading updates so in the meantime I'll give some impressions of what I've experienced so far.

First and foremost, as far as the themed faceplates go I'm not very happy with them. The plastic is cheap and seems like it would take one good bend to snap in half, and because of the way you snap them onto the system it feels like you have to be incredibly careful any time you want to take them off and switch them. My advice is to pick one set and just leave it on forever. Unfortunately, since the bottom plate also houses the battery pack they make you screw the bottom plate on with these very tiny screws. If you don't have a tiny screwdriver on hand you're out of luck. What makes this even worse is the fact that the SD card is ALSO housed under the bottom plate, so get ready to dig out that tiny screwdriver again any time you want to change the memory card. I guess this will be less of a big deal to some people and more to others. It just upset me because I spent $30 getting two faceplate sets and now I wish I hadn't bothered (even though the Isabelle face+Animal Crossing blue leaf logo combination looks just as awesome as I thought it would).

The new 3D works pretty good, but what they don't tell you is the camera can only track your face if you're moving very, very slowly. Any jerky motion of your face causes the screen to fuzz out for a second while the camera tries to realign. However, the brief flash of blur doesn't detract from the fact that the 3D is 100% better and doesn't require you to find a 'sweet spot' anymore. You can view it fine from any angle most people would look at the screen from. I actually feel like I'll have the 3D on all the time with this one.

I'm not really feeling the 'faster connection', but it could just be everyone in Japan who bought a New is trying to update and download stuff at the same time today so who knows.

I have Smash Bros, which uses the little camera nub thing so I guess I'll give impressions of how the controls are after I've played a bit, though for now everything's just updating. I will say that the camera nub is exactly like those mouse nubs they have on some laptops. It doesn't even feel like the thing is moving when you push on it, so it's definitely not going to be usable for any kind of fine control. I'm assuming it'll always just be a basic camera control option and not much more.

Edit: The control nub for Smash Brothers is mapped to the Smash attacks. Pushing it in any direction automatically starts up your smash attack for that direction :psyduck: I definitely wasn't expecting that. I suck too much at this game to know how much of a game changer that is, but for all you people destroying your thumbsticks doing smash attacks I guess you have an alternative now.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 11, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, that's what the c-stick did in Melee and brawl.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

jivjov posted:

Yeah, that's what the c-stick did in Melee and brawl.

It didn't smash in 1P in Melee for whatever reason though.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Well now that I've tried it out I'll say the camera nub thing is pretty responsive, and it's useful in Smash Bros to pull of smash attacks when you're a noob like me and can't control very well between tilt and smashes. Also the 3D tracking is MUCH smoother when you're actually in a game. Unlike when I was on the menu or in the shop, when I was playing Smash Brothers and moved my face I didn't see any noticeable flickering. It was smooth 3D from wherever I looked. Very, very nice.

All in all, like most people have probably figured, this isn't something someone who already owns a 3DS needs to buy. It's got a few convenience upgrades but nothing too groundbreaking. I'm glad I bought it, though. Now time to burn a weekend playing Curtain Call and Disney Magical World.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
How often do you change out your 3DS SD card?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Since the New 3DS apparently comes with the feature of transferring data/photos to your PC over wifi, it's not going to be necessary to pop the card in/out except when you upgrade it, which I wouldn't expect to be a frequent thing.

If they hadn't added that feature, it would definitely be a weirdo design decision though.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Just when I was about to cave and buy Smash Bros, the eShop goes down. :sweatdrop:

Travv0
Jan 26, 2013

I plan on getting the new 3ds when it comes out, using money I'll get from selling my XL. Do you think that the current 3ds will lose a lot of value when the new one comes out? Should I sell really early to avoid that?

Philip Rivers posted:

Just when I was about to cave and buy Smash Bros, the eShop goes down. :sweatdrop:

It's back up. It was fun while it lasted.

Travv0 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 11, 2014

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm mainly hoping that GameStop or some other retailer will have a "Trade in your 3DS for the New 3DS and pay only $50!" or some kind of deal. They usually seem to do stuff like that.

Travv0
Jan 26, 2013

That'd be cool, how early do they usually announce stuff like that?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Keep in mind that if you sell early, you won't be able to perform a system transfer. If you've been buying digitally or have an NNID attached to your system, that'll cause you trouble.

If you want to buy and trade in at the same time, ask the Gamestop clerk if they'll let you do the transfer before handing over the old system. I've heard of them being accommodating but YMMV.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Supercar Gautier posted:

If you want to buy and trade in at the same time, ask the Gamestop clerk if they'll let you do the transfer before handing over the old system. I've heard of them being accommodating but YMMV.

Everyone planning to upgrade should do this. GameStop will definitely have a special promotion for trading in your 3DS and they'll let you do the transfer in store.

Travv0
Jan 26, 2013

Wait, is system transfer a wireless thing? I just assumed it would save some file to the SD card that says "This is now a system transfer SD card" or something. Also, system transfer will let me redownload purchased games on the new system, correct?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Travv0 posted:

Wait, is system transfer a wireless thing? I just assumed it would save some file to the SD card that says "This is now a system transfer SD card" or something. Also, system transfer will let me redownload purchased games on the new system, correct?

You start the system transfer process on both systems simultaneously, the source 3DS sends over all manner of stuff to the target 3DS. At the end of the process, it sets the SD card in the source system to be read by the target system and tells you to put the card in your new 3DS.

And yes, once you've system transferred, you'll have access to all your digital stuff for redownload on the new system (and consequently lose access to it on the old one)

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

jivjov posted:

You start the system transfer process on both systems simultaneously, the source 3DS sends over all manner of stuff to the target 3DS. At the end of the process, it sets the SD card in the source system to be read by the target system and tells you to put the card in your new 3DS.

And yes, once you've system transferred, you'll have access to all your digital stuff for redownload on the new system (and consequently lose access to it on the old one)

I wonder how this works with the New 3ds not using sd cards

Travv0
Jan 26, 2013

jivjov posted:

Alright, thanks, just wanted to make sure that my purchases would be transferred over. Guess I don't have a choice but to keep it until the new 3ds is out then.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Hat Thoughts posted:

If you're not already using a Micro-SD with an adapter in your 3DS, when you get to the last step you'll probably have to use a computer to transfer the data from a regular SD to a Micro.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Hat Thoughts posted:

Uh, it totally does. There's a micro-SD slot behind the back plate.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It should be noted that this transfer process takes forever.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

YggiDee posted:

It should be noted that this transfer process takes forever.

But you get to watch adorable little pikmin move your data around.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

jivjov posted:

Uh, it totally does. There's a micro-SD slot behind the back plate.

I think he meant how you can't take out a standard SD card and put it in a New 3DS

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
That's what I meant!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Ah, well, either use a Micro-SD with an adapter in the older 3DS, or once the transfer process is done, copy off the SD card data to a micro later.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Since the new 3DS doesn't come with it, would Gamestop provide the tiny screwdriver needed to access the micro SD card slot?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Electric Phantasm posted:

Since the new 3DS doesn't come with it, would Gamestop provide the tiny screwdriver needed to access the micro SD card slot?

If the new 3DS doesn't have it in the US packaging, I see it being a $4.99 Gamestop accessory.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think that the tool to open it is built into the stylus.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Bongo Bill posted:

I think that the tool to open it is built into the stylus.

That's for replacing the top plate. The bottom plate is secured with small screws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLCYOx3WdXE

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)
Has anyone had any problems with error code 001-0502? I've put my 3DS in the DMZ and I still can't play any games online. The eShop and internet browser both work fine but the error code look-up says it's just related to the eShop.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
No clue what the DMZ is or what you're trying to do, but it looks like some of the things nintendo side are down.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/network/en_na/network_status.jsp

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

elf help book posted:

How often do you change out your 3DS SD card?

I only change mine out when it gets full. Considering I just got a 32 gig (micro SD, with an adaptor, in fact!) I don't think I'll have to do that again.

I back it up to my computer when I remember to do so.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Today they released the new New 3DS in Japan. For those curious how it compares to the old Old 3DS, :siren:trigger warning:siren: Kotaku has some pics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.
Getsuya, do you have Pokemon?

If so, can you tell us whether the slowdown in 3D battles is still present on the New 3DS?

• Locked thread