Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Timby posted:

Blues Brothers 2000 and motherfucking Year One should have been more than enough to disabuse anyone of the notion that Aykroyd and Ramis' senses of humor were still intact. That's a huge reason why I'm interested to see what Feig and Dippold come up with, rather than the sad nostalgia trip that Aykroyd had been trying to do for more than a decade.

Bridesmaids was funny but not nearly as much to me as it was to my ex. I don't think that's on feig unless he wrote it... The scenes were well done I thought. Heat was not great but not terrible. Also not that funny. I'm not optimistic about him doing ghost busters but here's hoping the stars are helping with the jokes and not just the delivery.

hhhat fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every internet user's god-given right!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

hhhat posted:

Bridesmaids was funny but not nearly as much to me as it was to my ex. I don't think that's on feig unless he wrote it... The scenes were well done I thought. Heat was not great but not terrible. Also not that funny. I'm not optimistic about him doing ghost busters but here's hoping the stars are helping with the jokes and not just the delivery.

Feig also created Freaks and Geeks and directed some of the best episodes of Arrested Development and The Office. I think he's proven he has legitimate comedy chops.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

computer parts posted:

Egon was the only understated one.

Is grounded a better word? The problem is that I can see a writer or director telling McCarthy just be as WACY AND SLAPSTICKY as possible and that's not quite what happens in GB1. Not saying it's Shakespeare here (or the ghost of Sherlock Homles) but the movie is actually really more grounded or downplayed.

Also: YOUR MOTHER!

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I'd say it was all fairly understated. The film goes to great lengths to be permanently deadpan, no-one can say anything grand/impressive without it being quietly shot down in the next line. The back-and-forth of the dialogue is what makes that film work, very few of the lines are great in isolation.

Boomerjinks posted:

This. The worst thing about this announcement is not the news itself, but watching people who I thought had things together have the ugliest meltdowns imaginable.

I'm sure there's some interesting people from forums past whos opinions would be catnip to me but I'm not going back to the bad place and you can't make me

ComposerGuy posted:

Is it bad if the only thing I really want is for them to use the same sound effects for the particle stream?

Hearing that in the cinema is awesome. So much bass.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 29, 2015

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I've posted about all the GB1/GB2 similarities load but I've only just twigged that Janosz is another strange, physically tiny goofy guy in love with Dana and emasculated by Venkman. SO LAZY

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I definitely have confidence that Wiig can do deadpan, McCarthy not so much.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I definitely have confidence that Wiig can do deadpan, McCarthy not so much.

McCarthy plays the subdued, almost straight man role opposite Bill Murray in St. Vincent, and she was really solid in that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

McCarthy plays the subdued, almost straight man role opposite Bill Murray in St. Vincent, and she was really solid in that.

I'll have to check that out, I like her in general so I'm definitely willing to keep an open mind.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Basebf555 posted:

I'll have to check that out, I like her in general so I'm definitely willing to keep an open mind.

Bring tissue papers - its a tear jerker. :(

If they can make sure McCarthy isnt wackadoodle-girlversionofgalifianakis it should be ok with Wiig and her holding the reins.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vintersorg posted:

Leslie Jones is terribly unfunny based on the poo poo I saw on SNL this year. But the rest are great and hopefully something good comes from this.

I'm gonna guess that she is playing Egon so she doesn't have to be funny.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Bring tissue papers - its a tear jerker. :(

If they can make sure McCarthy isnt wackadoodle-girlversionofgalifianakis it should be ok with Wiig and her holding the reins.

Exactly! The characters are real (in Venkmans case awful) if weird people.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Louis Tully is the only character in the movie who seems too wacky to be a real person, although it's hilarious anyway.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kevyn posted:

Louis Tully is the only character in the movie who seems too wacky to be a real person

You obviously don't hang out with software developers.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Timby posted:

You obviously don't hang out with software developers.

I'm giving this whole party as a promotional expense. That's why I invited clients instead of friends. Why don't you have some brie? It's room temperature...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

hhhat posted:

I'm giving this whole party as a promotional expense. That's why I invited clients instead of friends. Why don't you have some brie? It's room temperature...

Yeah, Moranis really nails the part of a guy who has no concept of social mores. A bunch of the guys in our Seattle office at my last company were just like him.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Timby posted:

Yeah, Moranis really nails the part of a guy who has no concept of social mores. A bunch of the guys in our Seattle office at my last company were just like him.

Did they ever invite you to lunch by abruptly asking "DO YOU WANNA HAVE SOMETHING TO EAT WITH ME?"?

Maybe after, you guys could play Boggle or Super Mario Bros.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Did they ever invite you to lunch by abruptly asking "DO YOU WANNA HAVE SOMETHING TO EAT WITH ME?"?

I think motherhood is very natural. I want to try it myself.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Basebf555 posted:

This was also my concern, because I was only exposed to those sorts of roles for her. But my girlfriend's been rewatching Gilmore Girls, where she plays an excitable and naive dork who's actually not that dissimilar from Ray Stanz. Assuming they use her in that way, she might be great.

There's literally no need for a Ghostbusters 3, so honestly the worst thing they could do is make the *same* movie in 2015. "Ghostbusters starring Seth Rogen and James Franco," is the alternative...is this people's wish?

(I still wanted to see Aubrey Plaza or Nasim Pedrad in the mix. Or Alia Shawkat. Or Aisha Tyler.)

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Timby posted:

Feig also created Freaks and Geeks and directed some of the best episodes of Arrested Development and The Office. I think he's proven he has legitimate comedy chops.

List of shows I never got into.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
ps job pls

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He's looking really good these days. Probably the best preserved of the bunch (counting Ramis is cheating) by at least a decade.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

He's looking really good these days. Probably the best preserved of the bunch (counting Ramis is cheating) by at least a decade.

too soon

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

GB2 is on Bravo now so just catching it. It's probably been 20 years since I last saw it. I've had a solid 3 or 4 laughs so far in the scene where Dana is talking to Egon about the stroller moving. And I never got this before, but Venkman looks right at the camera as the woman's talking about an alien abduction that was probably a date rape. That's a lot darker than I expected and certainly never got when I was younger. Maybe this movie isn't as bad as I used to kinda think it was.

e. and now having seen sophie's choice since then, It's really funny how odd Peter MacNichol is.

e2. "I think they're more interested in my epididymous." -Egon Awesome

Pander fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 31, 2015

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Look who is also Hitler

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

hhhat posted:

Look who is also Hitler

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Ensign_Ricky posted:

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

There are many perks... Free parking, nice apartment...

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Boomerjinks posted:

This. The worst thing about this announcement is not the news itself, but watching people who I thought had things together have the ugliest meltdowns imaginable.

The way I see it, regardless of the quality of the actual movie it's already a success because the sheer impotent rage at the casting at the clouds of :goonsay: that it's generated has already brought me more entertainment than I ever expected to get from a new Ghostbusters film.

Jack Gladney posted:

He also kicked rear end in the video game, he was the only one who didn't sound like he was sleepwalking through the recording session and they gave him plenty of room to breathe in the script.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

hhhat posted:

There are many perks... Free parking, nice apartment...

Oh Johnny, did you back the wrong horse..

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Pander posted:

GB2 is on Bravo now so just catching it. It's probably been 20 years since I last saw it. I've had a solid 3 or 4 laughs so far in the scene where Dana is talking to Egon about the stroller moving. And I never got this before, but Venkman looks right at the camera as the woman's talking about an alien abduction that was probably a date rape. That's a lot darker than I expected and certainly never got when I was younger. Maybe this movie isn't as bad as I used to kinda think it was.

e. and now having seen sophie's choice since then, It's really funny how odd Peter MacNichol is.

e2. "I think they're more interested in my epididymous." -Egon Awesome

World of the Psychic is great. That stuff all flew over my head until I was in high school. That and the fact that the guy was kinda right about when the world would end.

Next week: Hairless pets. Weird.

Also, Bassmasters.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

AlliedBiscuit posted:

World of the Psychic is great. That stuff all flew over my head until I was in high school. That and the fact that the guy was kinda right about when the world would end.

Next week: Hairless pets. Weird.

Also, Bassmasters.

And according to the woman, it's going to end on Valentine's Day of next year. Someone should organize one of those Ghostbusters conventions on that date at the Holiday Inn in Paramus.

Kevyn fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jan 31, 2015

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Xealot posted:

(I still wanted to see Aubrey Plaza or Nasim Pedrad in the mix. Or Alia Shawkat. Or Aisha Tyler.)

oh man you opened the fan-casting floodgates:
Aubrey Plaza - "Egon"
Amy Schumer - "Peter"
Yvette Nicole Brown - "Ray"
"Winston" - no idea

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Yeah I'm cool with the all female cast. I like a lot of the actresses they picked. I think there could be real comedy here. The only thing that will ruin this movie is if the comedy/plot is decided by committee. If they have a checklist of references that "must take place in the movie" being written BEFORE the script is written, much like the new Terminator.

That is why this movie is going to fail. It's not the the star power and comedy potential of the cast, its the horrific top down approach to script writing that will ruin this movie (much like the new Terminator). This right here is going to ruin this movie:

YOU are the Peter Venkmen character, except you are a girl! I want you to act just like him! You are literally the same character!!!!! Do exactly what he did.... except with a vagina!!!

The following MUST be included in the scrip:

1) A green slimer ghost!
2) The phrase "he slimed me"
3) "Are you a god?"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

AlliedBiscuit posted:

Also, Bassmasters.

Yeah, I know Bassmasters, sure.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

The following MUST be included in the scrip:

1) A green slimer ghost!
2) The phrase "he slimed me"
3) "Are you a god?"
Yeah, my issue isn't with an all-woman reboot, it's with any reboot. The original had a lot of awesome packed in tight. A reboot would have to pay homage to the original without just being a rehash, but I can see a lot of pressure to include these types of things. "This time Rae will say, 'Yes,' but it won't work! And then Wynette will say, 'The next time someone asks if you're a goddess, you say no!' It'll be hysterical!"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Khaaaaaaaaahhwhatever.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just watched "The Heat".

I have faith.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I hope the movie turns out to be the original Ghostbusters exists in the new film universe as the 80s movie, its sequel, a video game and a few cartoons series and comics.

Then, the entire film is everyone commenting on their every action, choice and personality and judging it by the standards of what happened in the original film.

Aykroyd and Sony and Filmation lawyers replace Peck as the main red-tape antagonist, showing up and telling them to shut it down, shut it all down, due to unapproved use of the names and trademarks owned jointly by those groups.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
^ I like this

They should also call their business The Real Ghostbusters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freethought
Feb 24, 2011
One of the things that really killed my enthusiasm was watching this vid about Edgar Wright.

It's just a little video examining Edgar Wrights visual style but he takes Feig (among others) to task for shooting comedy in the most boring manner possible. Maybe you could make the same argument about Reitman but off the top of my head you have that great tracking shot on Murray as he's getting slimed, the cut straight to the Library exterior after 'get her' and generally just how well he fused horror and comedy. The staircase was a pretty good visual gag too.

Meanwhile the script is being penned by a guy who hasn't written anything worthwhile since 1999 and one of the writers of The Heat. I was a fan of Bridesmaids and if Wiig was writing this I'd have some reason to be optimistic but Feig spent years in TV directing hell. Maybe it was for good reason.

freethought fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 1, 2015

• Locked thread