Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
For people with poor performance on otherwise recent machines, how much memory do you have? You really really really need 8 gigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm sorry for quoting a post from several pages back, but:

Burning Mustache posted:

I'm playing NC on Woodman.
Yay I'm not the only goon on Woodman and we're the same faction even! :woop:
But yeah, I think hit-and-miss is a pretty good way of putting it. There seems to be quite a bit of both stupid boring meatgrinder battles and these really nice medium-sized fights with like a couple squads per side. Of course I don't have any experience from other servers to compare to, but overall I don't think Woodman has a lot to complain about. Except it would be nice if NC won an alert every now and then I guess. :v: (That's hyperbole, it does happen... occasionally)

Say, you don't happen to be in FFS, by any chance?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Davethulhu posted:

For people with poor performance on otherwise recent machines, how much memory do you have? You really really really need 8 gigs.

I have 6gb. I am going to be upgrading to 32 or 64 gb when I upgrade my machine though, good to hear it makes a difference. (Before people flip out it is for 3d stuff mainly not games).

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

Martytoof posted:

I'm massively CPU bound with the aforementioned i7 920. I've never seen GPU as the limiter. If they can get proper multicore support in I hope to get at least another 10fps out of the old i7.

I'd actually suggest that by sticking to dx9 they're limiting themselves more than if they made it using dx10 features. Dx9 is old now and has horrible optimisation issues for levels of detail seen in this game. That being said its impressive they can achieve what they have using dx9. Hopefully there'll be some sort of backfill of optimisations and options like an OpenGL renderer from the ps4 version.

Dark Solux
Dec 8, 2004

Old School Saturn God

Dred_furst posted:

I'd actually suggest that by sticking to dx9 they're limiting themselves more than if they made it using dx10 features. Dx9 is old now and has horrible optimisation issues for levels of detail seen in this game. That being said its impressive they can achieve what they have using dx9. Hopefully there'll be some sort of backfill of optimisations and options like an OpenGL renderer from the ps4 version.

This game runs DX9? Wow. I'm amazed that they can make it look this good and yet it doesn't surprise me that they're having performance issues with it. I think it looks a lot better than some DX11 games I've played (Metro, skyrim (?)).

E: Also I'm surprised they don't have a 64 bit client. If it is then it still shows up as 32bit when I have to force close it when it freezes all the time.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

keyframe posted:

I have 6gb. I am going to be upgrading to 32 or 64 gb when I upgrade my machine though, good to hear it makes a difference. (Before people flip out it is for 3d stuff mainly not games).

I can't tell which one did it, but when I upgraded to a SSD and 16GB RAM the 1FPS stutters went completely away. Max FPS hasn't changed to be more than say 60ish, but minimum is much much higher since the RAM black hole that is planetside2.exe has as much room to work with as it needs. I was doing Reaver barrel rolls through a zerged tech plant at 15ish FPS whilst streaming (only reason it dipped). It was low but the most important thing was it was a stable enough 15 to fly through support struts with.

i7 2600k, 3.4Ghz 560 Ti here.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Davethulhu posted:

I've got 16gb, an AMD 8350, and an nVidia GTX 660. Ever since deciding to unlock my frames it's been a bit better about performance, but it still bogs down in any of the good fights, down into the 24-30 range, juuust enough to make it difficult to hit someone when they get close enough to me.

EDIT:

Dark Solux posted:

This game runs DX9? Wow. I'm amazed that they can make it look this good and yet it doesn't surprise me that they're having performance issues with it. I think it looks a lot better than some DX11 games I've played (Metro, skyrim (?)).

I'm actually pretty sure Skyrim doesn't even support DX10/11 by default.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 17, 2013

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Davethulhu posted:

i5 750, HD 6850, 8 gigs of ram. In my case anyway it's primarily the fault of my ancient i5, which isn't even being used nearly to its fullest potential. Changing my graphics from medium to all low as gross as I can make it look gives no extra frames. It's just a waiting game to see how soon they will give it the multi core support it desperately needs.

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:

Westy543 posted:

I can't tell which one did it, but when I upgraded to a SSD and 16GB RAM the 1FPS stutters went completely away. Max FPS hasn't changed to be more than say 60ish, but minimum is much much higher since the RAM black hole that is planetside2.exe has as much room to work with as it needs. I was doing Reaver barrel rolls through a zerged tech plant at 15ish FPS whilst streaming (only reason it dipped). It was low but the most important thing was it was a stable enough 15 to fly through support struts with.

Both would have helped you, one more than the other depending on your previous situation. An SSD loading to memory is lightning-quick (this is where it's all about read times and SSDs have it) and having >4GB paired with a 64 bit OS means less disk thrashing. Because PS2 is a 32 bit binary, it is limited to a software memory limit of approximately 2GB; everything beyond that is usually shoved off into virtual memory (pagefile) until it is called from virtual memory again. If you wanted to take it further, you could move the pagefile to the SSD and set it to let Windows manage the size if you have a generous amount of space. Doing this will drastically "kill" your SSD faster than normal read/write cycles would.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Westy543 posted:

My i5-2500k was running a 1 gig 560Ti before and even then it still got like 45fps, so you are loving up somewhere. Overclock that poo poo, what's wrong with you.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I've been using only the Claw and playing shooty-mans only all weekend in a push to get the Auraxium Medal on it before they finally make it un-fun to use. I've had some amazing streaks with the damned thing (for me) and managed to catch an okay one. I'll skip the first minute so you don't have to see me running around like an idiot trying to find someone to kill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DpaARbibVs&t=48s

I'm no gaming god or anything, but everything has just been going so right for me this weekend. I was nearly 200 kills out on Friday and playing no more than 8 hours since then I've aurax'd it. Maybe it is due for a nerf, but I have a hard time believing that when anyone who is paying attention kills me with impunity. Whatever, have a killboard.jpg on the house. Goodbye, Claw.

After all that my K/D improved by .02, to .89 :shepface:

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 17, 2013

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Get over your cheesy shotgun addiction and start using the Compact S. You could have killed all of those mans and more without dying yourself. Nice video!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Gazaar posted:

Things will probably get better for everyone once they work in multi core support. Who the hell knows why they didn't have it in the first place, but they have to have it for the ps4 version and that's a thing they can work to bring over.

I can't wait for them to add multi-core support, I'm sure they'll finish it as soon as server transfers, ATI/AMD optimization, flamethrowers, updated VS weapon sounds/models, implants, Hossin, player decals, player bases, extra loadouts, player generated content, cert refund tokens, true continent locking, and all sorts of other game-changing features are added.

These changes will be implemented anywhere from way too loving long from now, to never.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Fuzz posted:

My i5-2500k was running a 1 gig 560Ti before and even then it still got like 45fps, so you are loving up somewhere. Overclock that poo poo, what's wrong with you.

My GPU is loving up somewhere and I'm not sure what's up with it, but it performs fine. I need to fix some airflow issues before I overclock my i7, anyway.

I dunno, 45 fps streaming in a big fight is pretty good IMO.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Typical Pubbie posted:

Get over your cheesy shotgun addiction and start using the Compact S. You could have killed all of those mans and more without dying yourself. Nice video!

I already have the Blitz, I was thinking about using that on my LA, the Compact S on my Engineer and the SAW on my HA now. I spend far and away most of my time playing as Engineer.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

sitchelin posted:

I can't wait for them to add multi-core support, I'm sure they'll finish it as soon as server transfers, ATI/AMD optimization, flamethrowers, updated VS weapon sounds/models, implants, Hossin, player decals, player bases, extra loadouts, player generated content, cert refund tokens, true continent locking, and all sorts of other game-changing features are added.

These changes will be implemented anywhere from way too loving long from now, to never.

Yeah dude, they have a lot of poo poo to work on. poo poo takes time.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Nordick posted:

I'm sorry for quoting a post from several pages back, but:

Yay I'm not the only goon on Woodman and we're the same faction even! :woop:
But yeah, I think hit-and-miss is a pretty good way of putting it. There seems to be quite a bit of both stupid boring meatgrinder battles and these really nice medium-sized fights with like a couple squads per side. Of course I don't have any experience from other servers to compare to, but overall I don't think Woodman has a lot to complain about. Except it would be nice if NC won an alert every now and then I guess. :v: (That's hyperbole, it does happen... occasionally)

Say, you don't happen to be in FFS, by any chance?

LIVE FREE IN THE NC :toot:

And yeah, I think it's a pretty balanced and well-rounded experience on Woodman for the most part.
You'll occasionally notice your own guys acting like utter morons, but that's probably confirmation bias more than anything; Really, all factions have pretty equally terrible people in this game if you pay attention :haw:

Although I will say that VS has at least two outfits, IP and KOTV which can kind of hold their own and influence / dominate a lot of battles just based on sheer numbers, while our very finest GODS are usually busy colliding Galaxies into each other inside the Warpgate or some such.
Now this coupled with TR being a bit underpopulated (which has been the case for a while now) and, most importantly, VS being ridiculously overpopulated since a couple of days, has been a bit problematic recently.

And by VS being overpopulated I'm talking a VS server (!) population of ~42-47% on a Sunday night. :smith:

And no, I'm not in FFS, unfortunately, though they seem to be the most competent NC outfit on the server (by far), and they're really cool guys all around.
I don't feel much like playing in an outfit at the moment, I usually play with just a friend of mine over Mumble these days, but feel free to add me (BurningMustache in-game) to your friends list if you feel like joining up :cheers:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

All I'm saying is optimization should be pretty high up on their priority list, and while they've made some effort in that department, they don't seem too intent on continuing that.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It just feels so good to stand at the top of a staircase full of dead NC (most of which you killed after beaning them in the head with a conc grenade and then Lasher spamming), and then seeing somebody chuck a rez grenade into their midst. Crap xp, sure, but if somebody is going to give me a best use case for my Lasher I'm going to take it.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

sitchelin posted:

All I'm saying is optimization should be pretty high up on their priority list, and while they've made some effort in that department, they don't seem too intent on continuing that.

Optimization since beta at least has been incredible. I've gone from 15 FPS on lows+mediums with 5 in big fights, to 60 FPS on ultras and 40 in big fights.

There's only so much optimization they can do without multicore support, which is probably pretty drat high since this game is probably going to be a launcher title on the PS4. They tried optimizing by turning render distance down, but we had cases where you'd fire an HE round from outside a base, and the infantry running towards the point would de-render in flight. Infiltrators were useless. That's also where a lot of the lag comes from, the sheer number of soldiers in an area at any given time. Soldiers that are yelling, dying, making shots with bullet hoses, and wearing several different cosmetics each. It's one reason that many guns originally launched looking the same. After GU02 they did some sort of rework of how models are loaded so they can have many more unique weapons (that's why the Commissioner and Underboss aren't visual clones, why the ESRL all look mostly different, why both pump actions on each empire have unique models, etc); they'll probably go back over the weapons at some point, but it's super low priority right now. At least they're going over weapon sounds again.

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS
Warning, enormous spergy tech carepost incoming:
(most of this is guesswork on how Forgelight works based on my own experiences, some of it might be inaccurate)

As someone with a modest knowledge of software engineering, I think people are talking about multicore support without really understanding what that actually means and entails.

At a basic level, there are only a handful of broad categories of software that truly take advantage of parallel processing. These categories do not include video games. This is because there are a wide variety of different computing tasks a game must perform, each entailing different kinds of mathematical operations that are alternately suited to either a CPU or GPU, and may not even benefit from parallel processing.

As far as I can tell (maybe someone who has worked in low-level engine programming can correct me here), there are two primary problems affecting Planetside 2. Problem number one is that the game seems to be, to a large degree, limited to a single thread, and therefore is subject to the overhead incurred when an operating system shifts threads between cores, and can only process as fast as an individual core is capable of, to say nothing of quirks inherent to a particular processor's architecture.

Being locked to a single thread isn't necessarily a bad thing though. There are a lot of problems with parallel processing, not least of which is that there are often synchronization issues and system overhead issues associated with it. Sure, you can have each core processing a different set of commands, but if those commands need to be executed serially, in a specific order, or the results are highly time sensitive and need to be received at roughly the same time, then you've gained nothing from processing in parallel, and you might have even introduced instability to the system.

This is very speculative, but I rather think that Forgelight wouldn't gain much from parallel processing, because of the highly time-sensitive nature of the system and the massive overhead associated with multi-threaded processing and communication with a GPU.

Let's posit a scenario here. Let's say that Forgelight is redesigned to run on 4 threads. Let's say that each thread is designed to split up an equal sized chunk of all CPU-based processing to be done in the game. Practically, this would mean that each core would handle x number of players, vehicles, aircraft, projectile models ect on the screen at once. So core 0 gets done with it's assigned tasks, and offloads the remaining rendering to the GPU (add overhead time for that). Great, that means a chunk of stuff on your screen is now up to date ahead of everything else. What happens if Core 3 finishes it's tasks late? That could mean that Bad Man A is just a pixel to the left of where he should be in the path of the projectile that Core 3 was processing, meaning that while Bad Man A should have been hit by that projectile, he wasn't, because one of the threads was out of synch with the others. While nothing has technically gone wrong here, an incorrect simulation has resulted, because part of the scene was updated earlier than another part. Add to all this the overhead and quirks associated with parallel processing, and you may find yourself in a situation where the accuracy of the simulation has been compromised, and the additional overhead has reduced framerates even further.

The second problem is something nobody seems to talk about, but one that appears very obvious and damning to me when I play the game. Whoever designed the particle and post-processing systems in PS2 had absolutely no concept whatsoever of budgeting or restraint. I can only imagine this is because those designer(s) knew they weren't restricted (at the time) by console hardware limitations and felt they could do whatever they liked in regards to effects.

This is easiest to see with GPU physics, where it becomes plainly obvious whoever was in charge couldn't quite wrap their head around quantity != quality, but even without them it seems like particle effects are rendered without real regard for distance, viewing angle or efficiency for effect.

For example, effects like bullet sparks, impact decals, tracers, smoke, projectile models all seem to be drawn according to an arbitrary 'if distance < x then render' conditional statement, rather than being intelligently drawn based on viewing angle or even a simple raytrace to find out if the effect is actually within a player's line of sight.

There are other instances where this problem is obvious too. If you notice while in a warpgate with a bunch of people around, or an area where not much seems to be happening but your frames are still low, all while only looking in a certain direction, it becomes plain that post processing and rendering is not done in a dynamic, intelligent way, but rather relies on a basic 'culling technique' wherein everything further than distance n is not rendered, and everything within that distance is. While this might seem like an acceptable technique for reducing resource usage, in reality all it does is form a sort of bandaid fix that doesn't address the issue in an intelligent fashion.

Therefore, when you find your fps low while idling in a densely populated, but largely inactive warpgate, it seems apparent that all post processing, shading and other processor-cycle intensive operations are still occuring as normal, regardless of how much 'stuff' is present within distance n. So, rather than dynamically eliminating or reducing certain effects, the engine just refuses to render anything outside of a range set by the server, but otherwise renders everything normally.

This approach is Really Dumb, because while it may reduce load in certain instances and is simple and easy, it reduces the range at which you can fight (we've all had instances where some guy won't render until he's literally right in front of you). To fix this, SOE should change the system to wherein the engine scales back effects according to a priority system, weighting very processor-heavy effects like fog shadowing, ambient occlusion, object shadowing, projectile rendering, impact decal rendering, shadow position updating, dynamic lighting updating ect as high on the list and not using those systems outside of a specific distance under heavy load, while prioritising certain mission-critical things like rendering actual players/vehicles/aircraft, tracers, muzzle flashes ect.

I'm not saying the engine is completely un-optimised; it's obvious where certain systems are aggressively pruned, but I think that the engine prioritizes not rendering men over not rendering fancy effects, and suffers heavily from a lack of a strict console system-esque budget.

So you can say that SOE should 'add multicore support', but I think that the real problem is resource and processor time budgeting, and that in order to fix performance issues SOE needs to enforce strict guidelines on how many effects can be on screen at once, ask themselves honestly what contributes to the visual fidelity of their game, and cut out overzealous rendering calls that add little to the overall experience of playing the game.

Fake edit: Jesus I can't believe I wrote all that out. Basically I think that Forgelight just refuses to render everything that isn't terrain outside of a certain distance, that that approach is very dumb, and that intelligently managing processing time is more important than multi-core support, which may or may not even be of benefit to the engine.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Daysvala posted:

What happens if Core 3 finishes it's tasks late? That could mean that Bad Man A is just a pixel to the left of where he should be in the path of the projectile that Core 3 was processing, meaning that while Bad Man A should have been hit by that projectile, he wasn't, because one of the threads was out of synch with the others. While nothing has technically gone wrong here, an incorrect simulation has resulted, because part of the scene was updated earlier than another part.

Great post, but just wanted to point out that because all hit detection/damage registration/etc is done on the client side, this is already a major issue. Take for example a Flash driving in front of a Sunderer: because the Flash hitbox reported to the Sunderer's client is 100ms old, on the Flash driver's screen everything is fine, but on the Sunderer driver's screen the Flash is underneath the Sunderer. Cue a pile of collision damage and an explosion.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

It's funny, it's literally an age old pain in the rear end school math problem. You have x workers, so and so works faster than other guy...

You think more people would appreciate the difficulty of regulating such a thing in a time sensitive system. I mean all other mmo's that aren't shooters face the exact same issue. Walk around a major city in WoW or Neverwinter, go to a saturated space in EvE, the whole loving thing slows to a crawl. Here it's just that much more immediately visible.

I just wish that game "ticks" wasn't tied to rendering. I wish I my GPU could go hog wild and stuff would just move erratically when syncing data with the server is crawling, but my framerate would be less jarring.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

coffeetable posted:

Great post, but just wanted to point out that because all hit detection/damage registration/etc is done on the client side, this is already a major issue. Take for example a Flash driving in front of a Sunderer: because the Flash hitbox reported to the Sunderer's client is 100ms old, on the Flash driver's screen everything is fine, but on the Sunderer driver's screen the Flash is underneath the Sunderer. Cue a pile of collision damage and an explosion.

Vehicle collisions in this game are incomprehensible to me. I will hit the boost on my harasser, catch a running enemy soldier in the middle of my fender, and... nothing. The dude just keeps running. Later I'll be bouncing down the road in my sunderer, swerve to pass a friendly HA, clearing him by meters, and as I do he falls over and dies and I get the kill message.

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS

coffeetable posted:

I was going to talk about how this problem reaches machiavellian levels of complexity when you factor in network latency, but I had already written like 1000 words of pure sperg, so I didn't.

But basically yeah, this is actually already a problem just with plain network lag, and results in situations where you die just moments after killing the other guy. It also results in situations where I can lag out, run into a packed spawn room at Allatum Broadcast Hub, slaughter everyone inside, and then watch as I get 15+ kills all at once when I stop lagging.

I still can't believe I wasn't mass reported and banned for doing that :smug:

(If you lag out, continue shooting at men, so long as your client resumes communication with the server within a certain amount of time, you'll still get the kills. Using custom software to do this in a controlled fashion is how people packet throttle).

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Daysvala posted:

(If you lag out, continue shooting at men, so long as your client resumes communication with the server within a certain amount of time, you'll still get the kills. Using custom software to do this in a controlled fashion is how people packet throttle).

I did this with a Sweeper once. I managed to go through a few guys by accident then the server caught up (it almost crsahed as an alert was ending) and I clocked in MEGA KILLS.

So didn't BF3 benefit greatly from good multicore utilization? On the note of rendering, you can find some VIS bugs in PS2 if you pal around on some of the prop-based terrain:

(for those wondering what they're looking at, half the hill and nearly all the terrain behind Tawrich isn't rendered because I ducked into a crevice in some rocks)

individual
May 20, 2003
Nice to meat you!

LuiCypher posted:

Yeah, really. Tory said that Marcus taught him the art of Light Assault, so I'm inclined to agree that the dude is something fierce. Along that same vein - when I'm fighting VS and I see [BBRO] ScopeTactics show up in the kill feed, I know I'm going to get knifed by him somehow in the next minute or two. Dude's killed me more than anyone else (from my stats), but for him I'm just another cert on his belt.

You obviously have not met Vonic.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

An Unoriginal Name posted:

Both would have helped you, one more than the other depending on your previous situation. An SSD loading to memory is lightning-quick (this is where it's all about read times and SSDs have it) and having >4GB paired with a 64 bit OS means less disk thrashing. Because PS2 is a 32 bit binary, it is limited to a software memory limit of approximately 2GB; everything beyond that is usually shoved off into virtual memory (pagefile) until it is called from virtual memory again. If you wanted to take it further, you could move the pagefile to the SSD and set it to let Windows manage the size if you have a generous amount of space. Doing this will drastically "kill" your SSD faster than normal read/write cycles would.

Planetside 2 is Large Address Aware.

Also, gently caress off with the pagefile 'advice'. Modern drives can soak up tens of gigs of writes a days and still have a decent lifespan.

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

Kerbtree posted:

Planetside 2 is Large Address Aware.

Also, gently caress off with the pagefile 'advice'. Modern drives can soak up tens of gigs of writes a days and still have a decent lifespan.

Are you sure that PS2 is actually flagged LAA out of the box? Did you know that when you use that application that enables the LAA flag on other applications, the check box is checked for convenience and not because it is LAA? Also do you have a dev post or source saying it's flagged LAA?

I'm sure you decided to Google "pagefile ssd" on a whim and saw everyone else brushing it off like it's nothing anymore, and I admit I'll agree with them, but the fact of the matter is that you're telling the SSD to randomly read and write throughout the day in various sizes that could total more than you write to it in a month, unless you're already using it for something other than storing games and applications you use frequently. I think that warrants telling someone their estimated 10 years of life on their SSD could end up being 5.

Most people do not and will not ever need to adjust their pagefile let alone put it on an SSD. It was a comment I thought to put in since we're discussing PS2's abysmal performance and how most people choke as much as they can out of their machine to obtain it. But thanks for the hearty "gently caress off" I guess.

An Unoriginal Name fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jun 17, 2013

Lord Humongus
Apr 10, 2009

ice ice baby :toot:
how the hell do you get any decent cert points in this game? at the rate im going with kills it will take me a life-time.

edit:also all the try now buttons for the guns don't work for me either. drat I really want to like this game but it just sucks being shot in the face all the time

edit: spawn -> shot in face -> spawn -> shot in face

Lord Humongus fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jun 17, 2013

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

An Unoriginal Name posted:

Are you sure that PS2 is actually flagged LAA out of the box? Did you know that when you use that application that enables the LAA flag on other applications, the check box is checked for convenience and not because it is LAA? Also do you have a dev post or source saying it's flagged LAA?

I am pretty sure it's flagged LAA out of the box. I've seen my planetside2.exe using upwards of 7gb and I've never touched it.

Also hey Connery-havers, a voice actor on reddit did a little something in honor of our Indar NC lock defense and it kind of fuckin' owns https://soundcloud.com/mattoco/ps2stories-thelaststand

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

Westy543 posted:

I am pretty sure it's flagged LAA out of the box. I've seen my planetside2.exe using upwards of 7gb and I've never touched it.

Also hey Connery-havers, a voice actor on reddit did a little something in honor of our Indar NC lock defense and it kind of fuckin' owns https://soundcloud.com/mattoco/ps2stories-thelaststand

:pwn: The next time you see PS2 using that much RAM please take a screenshot and post, my game tapers off at approximately 2GB even after a couple of hours and multiple continents.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Lord Humongus posted:

how the hell do you get any decent cert points in this game? at the rate im going with kills it will take me a life-time.

edit:also all the try now buttons for the guns don't work for me either. drat I really want to like this game but it just sucks being shot in the face all the time

When you try a weapon, you have to equip it at a weapon terminal.

You can also get certs by playing medic and engineer, both are great classes to play in bio labs or tower fights where it's just a meatgrinder. Medics heal people and engineers repair MAXes.

In other news, sniping with the phoenix is still satisfying. I also borrowed a tip I saw in here earlier.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Lord Humongus posted:

The first one other people have covered, but basically play support roles until you get your bearings. Oh and don't feel like you need "all the guns" there are very few that are so unique that you need them (Lancer), in 90% of cases all the other options are not going to improve your killing, just give you a different feel.

To trial a gun you need to be alive to hit the button, then equip it at a terminal. Note there is a cooldown on trials, so only give one a live trial after messing around in VR here you are unrestricted (teleport there from the map terminal at warpgate).

For the rapid death, two things: 1. If a base is fully lost and you are just camped, spawn somewhere else. 2. Much like counterstrike, don't feel like you need to be the first through a door. Play cautiously, stick with friendlies, stay behind them. Pick off lone enemies as you see them. Charging into close quarters is swift death in most cases.

In all cases, join an outfit, play with a group, even a small group. It literally makes everything better in this game.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lord Humongus posted:

1) Just off of reviving in a biolab fight, you can get 100-200 certs in an hour, without revive grenades or any other fancy toys. Just heal and revive the whole time.

2) The starter guns, at least for NC and TR, are pretty drat fantastic. The Gauss SAW (NC Heavy) takes some getting used to, but is one of the deadliest guns around when used right. The T9 CARV (TR Heavy) will absolutely demolish people in CQB. The Gauss Rifle (Medic, NC) is great at what the game considers mid-range, 30-70m or so, while still being pretty drat useful up close. TR's medic AR is amazing out to 50-60m and can be useful past that. The NC14 Bolt Driver OHK's on a headshot. If you're Vanu, start watching anime or whatever it is they do and just spam maxes as timers allow.

It's really not that hard to earn certs once you get oriented-and there's very few weapons that are straight overall upgrades, they're mostly specializations-Reaper makes you deadlier at long range at the cost of CQB power, MSW-R will supposedly get you better CQB performance at the expense of long range, etc. Until you do get oriented/get a feel for the flow of combat, though, you really should play engineer/medic and just do support poo poo. Engies are great for that because you can drop an ammo pack somewhere then wander off to fix a MAX or sundy, while getting a constant stream of +10xp from resupplies.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 17, 2013

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Do Sony give refunds for recurring subscription if I'm not even playing the game? I forgot it was going to hit me for six months.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Carecat posted:

Do Sony give refunds for recurring subscription if I'm not even playing the game? I forgot it was going to hit me for six months.

Probably not, you can try contacting billing support and see if they'll take pity on you, but most likely your response will be "all sales are final as per policy, sorry. :("

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I guess you can send ticket and see.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.
About the multi-core/parallel processing stuff:
Another complication with that is that DX9 (and OpenGL, for that matter) are not thread-safe. This means that none of their components or abilities are able to be safely modified by multiple CPU threads. Any time you want to do something to the GPU, that pretty much has to be done by a single thread, or you have to make your own thread-safe layer to keep from doing really bad things. I think I recall some whisperings about DX11 being thread-safe - which would be the first performance positive thing I've heard about it. Everything I read a ways back and have dim memories of said that implementations in DX9 were faster (on the hardware of the time, yada yada) than equivalent DX11 stuff and that if you put in the work as a dev you could do everything DX11 does in DX9 but the load might be forked onto the CPU or you'd have to use a separate GPU computation API like OpenCL (since the compute shader didn't become a thing until DX10 or 11, hell Kronos didn't want to add anything like it to OpenGL because they're different things, but I think they did because they have to compete for dev attention with feature lists).

Disclaimers: I have no experience with DirectX. All of my programming is single-threaded. I read this DX9/10/11 comparison stuff ages ago.

Other stuff:
I really do hope they do the multi-core and AMD optimization relatively soon. I know I screwed the pooch pretty badly buying the set-up I have (AMD FX-8150 on a mobo that doesn't allow overclocking), but it should do better than it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

psivamp posted:

About the multi-core/parallel processing stuff:
Another complication with that is that DX9 (and OpenGL, for that matter) are not thread-safe. This means that none of their components or abilities are able to be safely modified by multiple CPU threads. Any time you want to do something to the GPU, that pretty much has to be done by a single thread, or you have to make your own thread-safe layer to keep from doing really bad things. I think I recall some whisperings about DX11 being thread-safe - which would be the first performance positive thing I've heard about it. Everything I read a ways back and have dim memories of said that implementations in DX9 were faster (on the hardware of the time, yada yada) than equivalent DX11 stuff and that if you put in the work as a dev you could do everything DX11 does in DX9.

I always thought the major selling point of DX11 was that, past the very basics, DX9's implementation of advanced shaders/particle processing was ridiculously slapdash and much much slower than DX10/11? :confused: Probably misremembering, I don't work with the stuff.

Also, bringing back the ol' boogeyman for a second, since when does putting both AP barrels from a prowler into a ZOE max only get them to half health? Was pretty badly damaged when this max sprints towards me, eats both barrels basically point blank, and blows me up. Killscreen shows him at ~49% hp. Let's be honest here, that's horseshit. A max shouldn't be able to tank that much damage AND run around like a cracked-out rabbit. (I know it's NANITES or whatever, but nothing infantry-sized should be able to survive eating two 150mm kinetic penetrators to the face.)

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 17, 2013

• Locked thread