Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Oh my god, Watch_Dogs has started getting so boring and pointless that I've now started forgetting what's going on as it's going on. This game is painfully effortless, and I have legitimately nothing to say about this video.

So instead, I'm going to talk about something else entirely, that I hope still flies because it's Chip-related. I've been writing a blog about cut content, and in honor of MGSV coming out in a couple days I posted one about some particular cinematics in MGS2. Thank you Chip for having the best video for the job; the alternatives were all five-hour cuts of the entire plot of the game. When those are the alternatives, I'll accept it only being 360p.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Scalding Coffee posted:

The setup to fend off the horde thing has been tried in Bioshock 2 and gamers apparently hate fun.

The underlying game mechanisms of Bioshock 2 made the process too repetitive and easy to deal with- plus in that case, iirc, you were defending a vulnerable object.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
So, Bedbug's gonna die now that Aiden's blasted the blackmail material over the entire park, right? ...Right? I mean, even if the runner didn't hear it, there's got to be enough people around that Iraq would hear about it through some train of people remarking on it. I get he was going for shock and awe here, but that is not how blackmail works. You want to keep it quiet or it's useless. Send it to his phone, not 50 foot tall monitors and speakers in a public park. :ughh:

Also, why is the runner in the park not a target like the previous one? He just saw Bedbug react like he didn't know how the people at the Bricks died (since he doesn't) and nearly piss his pants about it, even before the guy took off running and the blackmail started blasting. Isn't that another loose end who could tell Iraq that Bedbug just lucked out?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah, these couple of missions are a prime example of why this part of the story is where everything really goes downhill.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I'm sure that Damien was just being a smartass when telling Aiden about showing Nikki his exploits but she just seems so non-plussed about things. Like she's not even pissed off, she's just being generically snarky.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
If this were made by people capable of characterisation I'd think maybe she's just consciously trying not to freak out, but nothing in the performance suggests that either.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Flesnolk posted:

If this were made by people capable of characterisation I'd think maybe she's just consciously trying not to freak out, but nothing in the performance suggests that either.

Wasn't she suitably scared in the last phone conversation we had with her?

I'm actually asking this because I don't remember. I think she was, but that makes her recent performance all the more confusing.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Please tell me the line "don't let the Bedbug bite" is in this game, because that would be perfect.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Looks like Aiden learned from the master.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Again, note that the really especially dumb plot beats are hooked inextricably into prerendered cutscenes. The ingame dialogue and setting is trying to work around that material.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I guess Stockholm Syndrome is kicking in and Nicky's decided that she likes Damien's company more than being at home with her mute son while Aiden spies on them through hidden cameras, and is only mildly upset that she can't leave.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Okay, so instead of revealing to Bedbug that Iraq just tried to kill him and maybe set him up into thinking he owes you but also wants some sort of revenge on Iraq; Bad Uncle Aiden wants to set Bedbug up as some sort of death defying gangsta, then coerce him to going back to Iraq, the man who wants him dead anyway -- alone and seemingly unprotected -- and likely has no idea Iraq wants to off him right now instead of whenever Bedbug likely fucks up his job. How many iterations or how many hours did this mission go under before someone just put Wu Tang Clan in and called it a day?

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 31, 2015

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Bedbug has got to know Iraq wanted him dead, right? Or was he supposed to be assuming Rabbit was lying?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Discendo Vox posted:

Again, note that the really especially dumb plot beats are hooked inextricably into prerendered cutscenes. The ingame dialogue and setting is trying to work around that material.

But the cutscene plot is "Bedbug is stealing from Iraq, and if he doesn't help Aiden then he's blown" while the in-game plot is this crazy "Iraq's already trying to kill him" stuff.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I'm waiting for Jordi to do the Ubisoft "I only betrayed you because it was better for me thing" they do in the AC games except it perfectly making sense because Aiden is such a douche about helping him with his stuff no one is going to feel sorry for Aiden.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Testekill posted:

I'm sure that Damien was just being a smartass when telling Aiden about showing Nikki his exploits but she just seems so non-plussed about things. Like she's not even pissed off, she's just being generically snarky.

It felt close to a Saint's Row conversation, with one of the Saints getting kidnapped so much because of the Boss' bullshit they just don't really care anymore.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

bobjr posted:

I'm waiting for Jordi to do the Ubisoft "I only betrayed you because it was better for me thing" they do in the AC games except it perfectly making sense because Aiden is such a douche about helping him with his stuff no one is going to feel sorry for Aiden.

Betraying Aiden is basically the morally right thing to do, anyway. Dude is human filth.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

bobjr posted:

Jordi is at least enjoying himself. He's at least consistent about thinking Aiden is a stick in the mud who occasionally does amusing things. And I question the notion of gangsters from Gabon.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Discendo Vox posted:

It's getting to :psyduck: levels of 'wow they put so much effort into working around their own plot, why didn't they just go with the original plot!?'

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I like how one of the gangbangers trying to ambush Bedbug was a vegetarian.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Now we can add Bedbug's Grandmother to the list of characters that would have made a better protagonist than Aiden. Someone is keeping a list right?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

White Coke posted:

Now we can add Bedbug's Grandmother to the list of characters that would have made a better protagonist than Aiden. Someone is keeping a list right?

Let me check...

-Every character in the game who isn't Aiden

Yep. The list is up to date!

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Should've picked the Nemesis outfit and start shouting "CTOS" every now and then. Aiden would look like one of the deeper characters too

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I love the idea of a white guy in a deep blue trenchcoat trying to be inconspicuous in an impoverished black neighborhood that's under complete control of a gang.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

bobjr posted:

I'm fully expecting Jordi to betray the poo poo out of Aiden. Even without any of the other generic plot beats from AC being incorporated. Look at that man. That is a man that will betray you for profit. It won't deminish my love for Jordi as the only good character in this game in the smallest amount.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Bedbug's "Grandma" was awesome. I hope there are more characters like her, so that the game hits at least amateur high school drama production level.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

EponymousMrYar posted:

It's getting to :psyduck: levels of 'wow they put so much effort into working around their own plot, why didn't they just go with the original plot!?'

Because if they actually stuck to the plot, the game would already be over. The only way to get the mandatory X hours of gameplay they were shooting for (with how corporate this game is you just know they actually had a goal for ideal hours of gameplay that they had to hit to "be successful") is to have Aiden massively diverge in roundabout plans, dead ends, and busywork until each step in the real plot is painstakingly reached.

Watch_Dogs also seems to be suffering from severe complexity addiction. It's something I've talked about regarding stuff like Mad Max: Fury Road and the criticisms of that movie for "not having enough plot." I think the entertainment industry and audience expectations in the 2010s are starting to be conditioned to not only accept, but actually prefer fairly complex plots and overarching storylines. This can lead to really neat stuff like Hannibal, but it can also lead to less talented or more discombobulated writers just running in circles and writing by the seat of their pants. I think it's a descendant of shows like the X-Files, Alias, and Lost that had really big myth arcs and incredibly convoluted plots (that in many cases ended up quickly going off the rails because the writers didn't plan as meticulously or as far ahead as they seemed to and were just bullshitting at a certain point to keep up with deadlines).

This video is a prime example of Watch_Dogs falling for that. It's bad enough that we've gone pretty far from anything to do with ctOS, Blume, or being a vigilante (which was played up as the plot from the previews all the way to the intro of the game) in favor of hunting around ghettos and getting involved in gang drama, but it's so complex and badly done that it's almost impossible to follow even when paying attention. Aiden is engaging in a stupidly complex plot involving making Bedbug (gently caress kinda street name is Bedbug) look like he killed a ton of gangsters in a massive gunfight so he looks more badass to Iraq (who already wants to kill him), then threaten him with blackmail to make Iraq want to kill him even more or something so he acts as your pawn. And none of it is really explained clearly to begin with.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tzarnal posted:

I'm fully expecting Jordi to betray the poo poo out of Aiden. Even without any of the other generic plot beats from AC being incorporated. Look at that man. That is a man that will betray you for profit. It won't deminish my love for Jordi as the only good character in this game in the smallest amount.

Hey, I'd betray Aiden for free.

Jordi betraying Aiden will only make him more likable.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Because if they actually stuck to the plot, the game would already be over. The only way to get the mandatory X hours of gameplay they were shooting for (with how corporate this game is you just know they actually had a goal for ideal hours of gameplay that they had to hit to "be successful") is to have Aiden massively diverge in roundabout plans, dead ends, and busywork until each step in the real plot is painstakingly reached.

Watch_Dogs also seems to be suffering from severe complexity addiction. It's something I've talked about regarding stuff like Mad Max: Fury Road and the criticisms of that movie for "not having enough plot." I think the entertainment industry and audience expectations in the 2010s are starting to be conditioned to not only accept, but actually prefer fairly complex plots and overarching storylines. This can lead to really neat stuff like Hannibal, but it can also lead to less talented or more discombobulated writers just running in circles and writing by the seat of their pants. I think it's a descendant of shows like the X-Files, Alias, and Lost that had really big myth arcs and incredibly convoluted plots (that in many cases ended up quickly going off the rails because the writers didn't plan as meticulously or as far ahead as they seemed to and were just bullshitting at a certain point to keep up with deadlines).

This video is a prime example of Watch_Dogs falling for that. It's bad enough that we've gone pretty far from anything to do with ctOS, Blume, or being a vigilante (which was played up as the plot from the previews all the way to the intro of the game) in favor of hunting around ghettos and getting involved in gang drama, but it's so complex and badly done that it's almost impossible to follow even when paying attention. Aiden is engaging in a stupidly complex plot involving making Bedbug (gently caress kinda street name is Bedbug) look like he killed a ton of gangsters in a massive gunfight so he looks more badass to Iraq (who already wants to kill him), then threaten him with blackmail to make Iraq want to kill him even more or something so he acts as your pawn. And none of it is really explained clearly to begin with.

Actually lets reiterate the plot and how nested it is up to this point. Aiden wants vengeance for his not daughter being killed. He's got no leads but his ex-partner had one, but he blew him off. Now his ex partner has abducted his sister/wife to force aiden to track down his lead. To track down this lead he has hacked into a super secret abandoned bunker that gives him master controll over ctOS and tracked the thing to this gang. And now he's doing this overly complex double blackmail thing to get Bedbug to be his in to Iraq to get his information.

Instead of hacking Iraqs computer/phone. Or you know what, you just make a Deal with Iraq. Aiden can hack things, you don't think Iraq can use Aidens sevices for a few things in exchange for information. Or Aiden could use his super secret hacks into everything unnoticed bunker to trakc his sister. Or Aiden could have just worked with his insane ex-partner when he conveniently showed up right after you ran of out leads.

So many layers of needlessly dumb sidetracks.

jercoxthealmighty
Dec 18, 2007
Clearly, the sequel to this game should have Jordi as the main character and Bedbug's Grandmother as mission control, on the condition that she go on as many tangents as possible about how stupid and terrible everyone else encountered is. In the astronomically unlikely event that Iraq survives Watch_Dogs, he can be a Fixer assisting Jordi in this theoretical sequel, assuming he takes some antipsychotics or something to curb his tendency to pointlessly murder subordinates.

Naturally, Aiden will turn out to be the "surprise" villain.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

I think I see what happened. Bedbug, as the dopey cousin, was too sympathetic to blackmail which made Aiden look bad, so they crowbarred in a set of missions where bedbug acts like a jerk and Aiden saves his life.

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011
Man if this game was a B-movie it wouldn't be one of those so terrible and campy that they turn entertaining ones. It would be the one of 1000's that you forget immediately.

If this game was a student film it would get a C- grade

If this game was a book it wouldn't be in the bargain bin nor in the bestsellers, it would be for all eternity on the middle priced shelf.

If this game was a car it wouldn't be the terrible car that your parents bought you after you get your license or the car you really really want. It would be the completely bland car that you buy before you can afford the one you really want.

If this game was a product in a store it wouldn't be on the bottom shelf with the cheapest and worst products, nor on the top shelf with the most expensive and highest quality ones. It would be in the exact middle with a "reasonable price" tag attached to it.

If this game was a sportsman it would always get the 4-5th place in an 8 man competition.

If you dined at an incredible restaurant that can serve the best tasting steak and the most disgusting "exotic" dishes, this game would be like ordering a burger with fries.

This game is so incredibly, aggressively mediocre it's absolutely astounding, but the worst part is that bland, cowardly and unambitious poo poo like this was still a complete commercial success ugh....

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Marketing works, what can you do?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

The setup to fend off the horde thing has been tried in Bioshock 2 and gamers apparently hate fun.

Half-Life 2 says hi.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Marketing works, what can you do?

That and the fact that game reviewers are a complete joke who wouldn't dare post a low grade for a product with this much hype.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Scalding Coffee posted:

holla, holla thrill, y'all.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

Half-Life 2 says hi.
Deus Ex says 'lo.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Where can I buy Bedbug's iconic cap?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I...kind of like Bedbug's hoodie?

Edit: \/ it's very schizophrenic when it comes to ctOS. Like if the game has a message about it gently caress if I know what it is

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Is Watch_Dogs actually pro-ctOS? I assumed at first that it was presenting ctOS as a bad thing because that's what you would expect, seeing as how it's a horrible invasion of privacy, but right here and in other places, it's normally only the "bad" people who have secrets to hide, like that radio host man. And then there's Aiden's whole vigilante schtick where he uses ctOS to get to a crime faster than the police to deliver "justice. If anything, this game seems to be arguing in favor of more privacy invasion rather than less.

Also Aiden slaughtered like ten people for no real reason. I think every mook having a face, name, listed occupation, and little interesting fact about him makes mowing them down like a psychopath even worse.

• Locked thread