Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Hannibal Rex posted:

The cover is a a subtle homage to Deus Ex: Invisible War, indicating that Cyberpunk is going to be a worthy successor.

:effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Guillermus posted:

Mass Effect 1 to 3 featured default male Sheppard on the cover art and never read this awful "white guy with a gun" stuff. As long as the game is good, who cares?

Idk where you were on the internet but a lot of people complained about female Shepard not being on the cover when she's the better option.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

mycot posted:

Idk where you were on the internet but a lot of people complained about female Shepard not being on the cover when she's the better option.

True.

On the other hand Biowares stat tracking showed the most played character was default Male Shepard, Soldier class. Never underestimate people's malaise and going with default everything every time.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

True.

On the other hand Biowares stat tracking showed the most played character was default Male Shepard, Soldier class. Never underestimate people's malaise and going with default everything every time.

And not just most played, most played by a loving mile. Looking at Bioware's stats it's 82% male/65% soldier for ME2, and 82% male/"only" 44% soldier for ME3. It's kind of ridiculous.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I'm one of those people who played Solider in the Mass Effect games. You can keep your fancy tech and biotic powers, I have guns. :clint:

I think the complaint here is that most videogame protagonists now are grizzled 30 year old white males. Back in the 90s you had fat italian plumbers, blue hedgehogs, robot assassins armed with arm cannons, purple dragons, orange bandicoots, spiky blonde haired amnesiacs with huge :fuckoff: swords and many more wacky options. When did videogames get so bland and have everyone be a generic grunt instead?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

wafflemoose posted:

I'm one of those people who played Solider in the Mass Effect games. You can keep your fancy tech and biotic powers, I have guns. :clint:

I think the complaint here is that most videogame protagonists now are grizzled 30 year old white males. Back in the 90s you had fat italian plumbers, blue hedgehogs, robot assassins armed with arm cannons, purple dragons, orange bandicoots, spiky blonde haired amnesiacs with huge :fuckoff: swords and many more wacky options. When did videogames get so bland and have everyone be a generic grunt instead?

When budgets became ridiculously overinflated and everyone became afraid to take risks so they focus-tested everything?

Vietnom nom nom
Oct 24, 2000
Forum Veteran

Angry_Ed posted:

When budgets became ridiculously overinflated and everyone became afraid to take risks so they focus-tested everything?

More that the average age of gamers went from teens to thirties, and the aesthetics went from Saturday morning cartoons to mid-life (and mostly male) power fantasy.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

mycot posted:

When I played ME1 was on Xbox360 and the voice for female shepard (spanish) was awful so I went with male Shepard. I guess female voice acting wasn't as good as the english version in the rest of the world judging by the numbers.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Eso es muy “hosed up.” Necesitamos una Jennifer Hale que es Latina.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Vietnom nom nom posted:

More that the average age of gamers went from teens to thirties, and the aesthetics went from Saturday morning cartoons to mid-life (and mostly male) power fantasy.

More that graphical fidelity improved to the point where the player controlled object didn't need to be DISTINCTIVE COLOUR-SHAPE COMBINATION.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Nowadays, you have a publisher mandating the studio that the game or cover has to incorporate certain elements or whatnot to reach their targeted demographic.

That kind of thing was still around in the '80s and '90s, sure, but it sometimes seems like it was to a lesser degree, partly because I think there were a lot more smaller/independent devs and publishers who had more control, and partly because there wasn't a concrete rule set on what sold well and what didn't. There was more room for experimentation. There still experimentation now, but I think it mostly exists in the indie scene.

Alchenar posted:

More that graphical fidelity improved to the point where the player controlled object didn't need to be DISTINCTIVE COLOUR-SHAPE COMBINATION.

I think that's a big factor. If you need a cover for a game, you can have one of the 3D artists put together a high-quality render of the games main character doing something vaguely exciting and slap it on the box.

Before then, though, you had to make do with having an artist illustrate a cover for your game, since in-game screenshots either weren't an option, or wouldn't be that appealing.

Do it the right way, and you get something like these:

Do it the wrong way, and...well...

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
All of those “bad” examples kick rear end

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

Do it the wrong way, and...well...

Reminds me of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQEe3pPFEIg&t=57s

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

El_Elegante posted:

All of those “bad” examples kick rear end

True. I was trying to avoid other 'good bad boxart' like Phalanx and Shatterhand.

I was also sticking to '90s era stuff. Otherwise, I would have done these:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Max Wilco posted:

True. I was trying to avoid other 'good bad boxart' like Phalanx and Shatterhand.

I was also sticking to '90s era stuff. Otherwise, I would have done these:

loving love booting up a quick game of 10 Out Of 10.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oh good, I'm not the only one that saw that.

Also the Master System covers are because Tonka Toys handled distribution in the west and just half-assed the job iirc. Some of their covers are spectacularly bad.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

When does the sale end?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

When does the sale end?

When Jack Keane's had its flash sale :v:.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Nullsmack posted:

Just how much is Keanu in the game even? Is it going to be another Oblivion where it has Patrick Stewart, but only for the intro cutscene?

Angry_Ed posted:

It'd be kinda odd to have him do voice, likeness, and motion-capture for only an intro scene but on the other hand CDPR has a lot of money to sling around.
According to the behind-closed-doors E3 gameplay demo (spoilers!), Reeves' character will be bugging you in one way or another throughout the entire main quest.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
He should narrate your play like in Bastion. "Punk Just Cybers For A While"

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Hidden Asbestos posted:

He should narrate your play like in Bastion. "Punk Just Cybers For A While"

:circlefap:

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Toonstruck is free for the next day or so.

also microsoft was annouced as a partner for gog galaxy 2.0. interesting to see where that goes.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 14, 2019

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Sivek posted:

also microsoft was annouced as a partner for gog galaxy 2.0. interesting to see where that goes.

Microsoft are interesting at the moment; doing the game pass has gotten them a ton of good will, they're working with Nintendo, are fully supporting Steam over the Epic storefront and now this stuff also.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

mycot posted:

They put FemShep on the front cover of the Deluxe Edition. I remember they ran a Facebook poll (which I voted in) on which model to use.

Veib posted:

And not just most played, most played by a loving mile. Looking at Bioware's stats it's 82% male/65% soldier for ME2, and 82% male/"only" 44% soldier for ME3. It's kind of ridiculous.

I seem to recall while only 18% played as a woman. That that percentage was vastly higher than other games at the time that offered gender choice. I'm interested to see the spilt in Cyberpunk if CDPR is tracking that.

I'm also going to be aboring gun shooter in Cyberpunk. I don't need powers when I got auto-targeting bullets.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Testekill posted:

Microsoft are interesting at the moment; doing the game pass has gotten them a ton of good will, they're working with Nintendo, are fully supporting Steam over the Epic storefront and now this stuff also.

Their best bet right now is the whole "Games as service" part with Game Pass and porting games to PC. The Xbox One X was a decent piece of hardware but they lost this generation of consoles years ago (maybe even from launch with their forced kinect and lovely E3 2013). I'm for one liking they put more effort on the whole Xbox+PC policy since I rather have PC+PS4 for exclusives than having to buy a second console just for a few games.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Looks like the flash deals are done, I thought they'd all come back at the end of the sale.

At least I got Toonstruck.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Testekill posted:

It sounds like Microsoft's plans for GOG are largely undecided beyond keeping their options open in regards giving more options for buying their games. Phil Spencer elaborates:

quote:

On the back catalogue, it's just work, honestly. It's just physics. Are we going to be back and—let's pick something, Fury3, I'm showing my age now—I don't know, honestly, on the back catalogue. It would just be about finding the right time to go do it—is there enough demand? I love what we're doing with [Age of Empires] right now, taking the Age franchise and bringing it back. I love what we're doing with Flight Sim, but obviously Flight Sim is a new build of that franchise which looks fantastic. The back catalogue is a good question. We don't have a great answer for you right now, but it's not out of the question by any stretch.

quote:

GOG has some specific rules that they set, as does Epic right now, about what games we can put [on them], what other stores they can be available in. We're still in the situation of what I said in the blog post of, we recognise that there are other stores out there. We want to be supportive of the other stores that are at scale—because I can also spend a lot of time porting to a ton of different stores and not actually make progress with the games, which I think is the most important part. Focused on Steam because it's the biggest and they were very supportive of the work we wanted in order to make sure our ecosystem stayed connected. So always looking at the future, there's nothing against GOG or EGS that says we wouldn't be able to support those, but right now we're focusing on the two stores that we've announced.
(The "two stores" being Steam and their own Microsoft Store)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Testekill posted:

That tends to happen when the previous strategy of "gently caress y'all, buy only XBox and XBox products, look how great the XBox is" hasn't worked since it launch.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That tends to happen when the previous strategy of "gently caress y'all, buy only XBox and XBox products, look how great the XBox is" hasn't worked since it launch.

That’s mostly because the Xbox stuff that is supposed to make you buy an Xbox has been mediocre at best.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Did GOG remove the option to sort things by release date?

Anachronasty
Apr 11, 2010

Vichan posted:

Did GOG remove the option to sort things by release date?

Yep. There's a workaround, though.

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/removed_search_page_filter_workarounds

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Closed beta for the new client went out to some folks today. Anybody here get in?

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I signed up when it was first announced but haven't got any beta invite yet.

Hope they're still sending them out because I'm interested.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Sivek posted:

I signed up when it was first announced but haven't got any beta invite yet.

Hope they're still sending them out because I'm interested.

Same here; I tried to (re)sign up today and it told me that I had already done so. I've actually signed up for three open betas recently, and I've not received a response for any of them. Genuinely starting to get pissed off.

Edit: My original Galaxy 2.0 sign up was 22 May, which isn't ludicrously long ago I suppose. One of my other ones was much longer ago, though, and I'm miffed about the lack of response. I was expecting a "piss off" e-mail, not dead silence.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 25, 2019

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

JustJeff88 posted:

Same here; I tried to (re)sign up today and it told me that I had already done so. I've actually signed up for three open betas recently, and I've not received a response for any of them. Genuinely starting to get pissed off.

Edit: My original Galaxy 2.0 sign up was 22 May, which isn't ludicrously long ago I suppose. One of my other ones was much longer ago, though, and I'm miffed about the lack of response. I was expecting a "piss off" e-mail, not dead silence.

They’ve been saying on FB and Twitter that everyone who has signed up will eventually get into the beta, but that it’s first-come first-serve. I’m guessing they only let a handful (maybe <100) in to start with today.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah these things are almost always done in waves so uh, just chill a little

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Yeah nothing to do but wait, I believe 22nd May was the first day you could sign up, that's when I did.

In the meantime, here's a list of the supported platforms on 2.0 so far:

Official support
  • Gog.com
  • Xbox Live

Unofficial support
  • Steam
  • Battle.net
  • Uplay
  • Origin
  • Epic
  • Playstation Network

Seems the platforms with unofficial support don't allow you to share your friends lists (yet), and they may need to be running in the background in order for Galaxy to be able to install games from them.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
How is it supposed to work with XBL or PSN? It doesn't run on the consoles, does it?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Cat Mattress posted:

How is it supposed to work with XBL or PSN? It doesn't run on the consoles, does it?

No, but it still brings in your game list, achievements, and supposedly will let you chat with your friends on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Nullsmack posted:

Just how much is Keanu in the game even? Is it going to be another Oblivion where it has Patrick Stewart, but only for the intro cutscene?

This is very unfair. Stewart was present for at least five minutes of gameplay!