Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

davecrazy posted:

Has anyone officially announced development is dead? Or just no one cares anymore?

this has comments from the devteam as recent as august 2011. It appears the devteam hasn't dropped off the face of the earth completely, but that is still very thin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
They theoretically still exist, it's just they've been incredibly quiet and the last major release was almost a decade ago.

Considering it's open source though, there are a lot of spin off branches to play if you get tired of the core game. A lot of them have died off too, but still, something different.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Well how about that. GymnastyThom managed to hunt down the goon tile set so now the link in the OP is fixed. It's here for anyone who is interested :)

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

I see no one's posted in this thread in a while. Well, lucky thread, I have two important questions I wasn't able to find the answer to on the wiki!

First off, I seem to remember hearing about a setting you can change so that you don't spawn with a pet. I don't want to disable myself from ever having pets, I just don't want to start with a kitten that I'm just going to end up killing by accident. Anyway, I was looking for the setting, but I never found it, so if someone could tell me what that setting is, that would be great.

Second, can someone explain fast travel in this game? Fast travel as in, not bothering to wait for turns where nothing interesting happens. I think I found a couple fast travel options by accident, one that moved you in a specified direction for a set amount of turns, regardless of what happens(which is not what I want) and something else I forget. I think this will actually help me be more patient, too many times I get tired of taking forever to traverse one dungeon floor, so I just press and hold an arrow key, which usually gets me killed. :(

BONUS QUESTION!
I have this setting in my file:
OPTIONS=autopickup,pickup_types:/
which sets the autopickup to only pick up wands by default. This is because I never figured out how to default autopickup to off. Any help?

Thanks guys, I know you'll come through for me.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.

Zero The Hero posted:

I see no one's posted in this thread in a while. Well, lucky thread, I have two important questions I wasn't able to find the answer to on the wiki!

First off, I seem to remember hearing about a setting you can change so that you don't spawn with a pet. I don't want to disable myself from ever having pets, I just don't want to start with a kitten that I'm just going to end up killing by accident. Anyway, I was looking for the setting, but I never found it, so if someone could tell me what that setting is, that would be great.

Second, can someone explain fast travel in this game? Fast travel as in, not bothering to wait for turns where nothing interesting happens. I think I found a couple fast travel options by accident, one that moved you in a specified direction for a set amount of turns, regardless of what happens(which is not what I want) and something else I forget. I think this will actually help me be more patient, too many times I get tired of taking forever to traverse one dungeon floor, so I just press and hold an arrow key, which usually gets me killed. :(

BONUS QUESTION!
which sets the autopickup to only pick up wands by default. This is because I never figured out how to default autopickup to off. Any help?

Regarding the options (pet, autopickup) you are looking for the following:

code:
pettype=none
!autopickup
About travelling, there's a couple options.

One is "_" which will let you specify a destination and try to walk to it unless something interesting happens.

The other one is "g or "G" (I forget) and then a direction, which will move in that direction until something interesting happens.

I think (but may be mistaken) that if you do these with a monster already in-view, you may keep moving without regard for the fact that the baddie is catching up to you, but it should still interrupt you once you get hit the first time?

Would have to check on those, but either way hopefully this will spare you a few stupid deaths from smacking pets and walking into deathtraps.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

Zero The Hero posted:

BONUS QUESTION!

The options you're looking for are
OPTIONS=nopet,!autopickup

As for fast travel '_' will let you use the movement keys to move a cursor and select a spot with . You can also jump to a dungeon feature ie (#_<>, maybe even }) by typing that character instead of moving the cursor with the movement keys.

Other options involve shift + movement keys, to move as many spaces as possible in a given direction. It's been a long time since I played, but I believe that if you are in a hallway and shiftmove in the direction of hall, you will continue along it until you see something interesting. I could be confusing this with something else though.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Hm. What's with the discrepancy in formatting for the options? You each gave the same answers in different formats, is there another place I can declare options, I'm guessing, that uses the other format? Just curious.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Shift+direction is a weird auto-move - it will for the most part ignore monsters and, for example, moving this way into a boulder will push it one space before it stops which is a little dangerous.

There are two similar move commands which are 'G' and 'g' followed by a direction. 'g' is called 'safe move' and will stop you as soon as it comes across something interesting, e.g. you see a monster or walk past a door or get any other kind of message, similar to '_'. These two will also follow corridors around corners to an extent.

I forget the exact difference between 'g' and 'G', but long story short, you should probably only be using '_' and 'g' to autotravel to be safe.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zero The Hero posted:

Hm. What's with the discrepancy in formatting for the options? You each gave the same answers in different formats, is there another place I can declare options, I'm guessing, that uses the other format? Just curious.

No, it's just that the options file in NetHack is very open and accepts a lot of different formats as valid.

For example, the statements "!autopickup" "noautopickup" are equivalent. ! or no can both be used to negate a setting and the game doesn't care which you use (you don't even have to be consistent. Doing "OPTIONS=noautopickup,!showexp" is perfectly valid).

Near the bottom of guidebook.txt there's a great explanation of all the options you can set and the different ways you can set them. defaults.nh itself has a bunch of commented out commands in there by default just to give you an idea of what you can do with them.

*edit*

When I ascended my monk (still my only ascension so far :argh:) I had lifesaving on the astral plane and nearly died anyway because I forgot to actually WEAR it. Luckily I got inside the temple before getting killed but it was just by the skin of my teeth.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 14, 2012

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Finally managed to ascend an Archaeologist, after much wailing and gnashing of teeth. Being Lawful helped, as I could dip for Excalibur and forgo trying to kill things with a pickaxe when Archaeologist dexterity is nine times out of ten utter crap.

Funny part was, I had Life Saving going into the Astral Plane, and *still* almost managed to get screwed over. Random adventurer whipping your only weapon away while the Riders are lurking is not fun. Barely got out of it by spamming a Wand of Death until I could get it back.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

Finally managed to ascend an Archaeologist, after much wailing and gnashing of teeth. Being Lawful helped, as I could dip for Excalibur and forgo trying to kill things with a pickaxe when Archaeologist dexterity is nine times out of ten utter crap.

Funny part was, I had Life Saving going into the Astral Plane, and *still* almost managed to get screwed over. Random adventurer whipping your only weapon away while the Riders are lurking is not fun. Barely got out of it by spamming a Wand of Death until I could get it back.

Congrats!

I can't say I'm that amazed you almost died with Life Saving, though. At that stage of the game you usually don't die unless you get in really deep trouble and your emergency supplies run out, in which case you get slaughtered like crazy. Doubling your HP is great, and there's a reason people grind out a jillion full healing potions with alchemy to raise their max HP. But that's not the same as doubling your survivability, and a lot of the things that can kill you once can kill you twice.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

DeathChicken posted:

Arc's are absolute melee monsters in the late game (while being able to cast divinity spells decently with the right armour), and as a lawful you could have sacrificed at an altar to get Grayswandir, by far the most powerful late game weapon - silver sabres do huge damage to demons and the undead, and Grayswandir doubles damage. They can also dual wield so you really shouldn't have been walking around with only one weapon. If you're lucky you might find another silver sabre. Always fun carving through the late game with that set-up, demon lords and riders alike will fall in a turn or two of melee combat. The main difficulty with an arc is getting through the early game with their terrible starting weapons.

Congrats on ascending an arc while making things unbelievably hard for yourself though!

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
I don't think he's necessarily saying that he ascended with Excalibur (though he hasn't denied it either); just that he used it early to address the weak-starting-weapon problem you mentioned.

I really like playing lawful characters for this reason. People talk about preferring neutral characters because the selection of artifacts is better or whatever, but by the time this really comes into play, you almost have the game won anyhow.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 15, 2012

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
He said he had Excalibur and his "only weapon" was whipped away...

I mainly like going neutral for the eye, which is intelligent. You can still use Grayswandir as neutral, you just can't easily sacrifice for it and it will blast you when you wield it.

e: vvv I was justifying my reasoning, not discounting yours :)

..btt fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 15, 2012

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

..btt posted:

He said he had Excalibur and his "only weapon" was whipped away...

I mainly like going neutral for the eye, which is intelligent. You can still use Grayswandir as neutral, you just can't easily sacrifice for it and it will blast you when you wield it.

Yeah I meant to acknowledge that having no backup weapon at that stage is a risky plan, so you're definitely right that he made things harder than they needed to be. But I figured he might have ditched Excalibur for weight reasons when he got something else? Whatever, no point in my starting a "read between the lines" contest.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'
I haven't played Nethack in a good while and after booting up Nethack, realised that my HP isn't highlighted based on what it is relative to my total HP (dark red very low etc.) whereas it was before. I tried editing back in 'OPTIONS=hp_monitor' but no dice. Here's my config file if anyone can help.

Oski
Oct 20, 2010

Everyone has their dream...
Actually, I tried getting into NetHack again recently and noticed small changes on NAO. Now, prices in shops are displayed without having to pick up the items. I guess they've added a new patch or something? I don't really know how these things work..

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, I actually did net Grayswandir from sacrificing, then ditched Excalibur for weight reasons.

...then had Grayswandir whipped away with no backup. Whoops.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Mr Right posted:

I haven't played Nethack in a good while and after booting up Nethack, realised that my HP isn't highlighted based on what it is relative to my total HP (dark red very low etc.) whereas it was before. I tried editing back in 'OPTIONS=hp_monitor' but no dice. Here's my config file if anyone can help.

Yep, it's been replaced with statuscolor, so you can define all kinda different colors for different percentages and statuses. Check the top part of my config, that's the default I copied and pasted a while back, which does about the same settings as hpmonitor.

Oski posted:

Actually, I tried getting into NetHack again recently and noticed small changes on NAO. Now, prices in shops are displayed without having to pick up the items. I guess they've added a new patch or something? I don't really know how these things work..
Yeah, the maintainer added a few things back in May. He keeps a list of changes here, and the latest stuff is usually on the front page also.

E: Oh, the news doesn't mention the prices in shops, by the look of things. Here's a list of all the additions to vanilla on the server, though, mostly just bugfixes and cosmetic things, and some exploits patched like not being able to identify luckstones by naming them after the Heart of Ahriman.

Wolfechu fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 12, 2012

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

Wolfechu posted:

Yep, it's been replaced with statuscolor, so you can define all kinda different colors for different percentages and statuses. Check the top part of my config, that's the default I copied and pasted a while back, which does about the same settings as hpmonitor.

That's what I'm looking for, thank you.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Thought of you guys today.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437762&pagenumber=224#post407873316

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Any advice on how to deal with monsters that don't respect Elbereth? I've lost two characters now to a squad of Green-Elves, usually right when it feels like I've been steamrolling everything else.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Keep a pet if possible to put some meat between you and the enemy and break out some of those consumables you're carrying around. Attack wands, escape wands, potions like speed or invisibility, even a scroll of earth is handy. By the time you're facing elves you should have at least a couple of options like that.

The other thing is to make sure you're enchanting your gear as early as possible to give you all the possible advantages you can get right now. Keep an eye out for enchant scrolls in shops and use them all ASAP (after blessing them if possible, but it's still OK if you can't). A couple of points of AC is the difference between getting killed on Dlvl 10 and cruising to medusa.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Trasson posted:

Any advice on how to deal with monsters that don't respect Elbereth? I've lost two characters now to a squad of Green-Elves, usually right when it feels like I've been steamrolling everything else.
Always, always, always have redundant escape options. If you can't fight, run.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

Trasson posted:

This probably goes without saying and fits into the "use attack wands(not sleep)" options, but make use of of hallways, taking them one at a time gives you a few more turns that can be used drinking potions, or praying if need be.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Honestly, I don't usually have any problems with the low-end elves. Sure, an early elf lord can wreck you if you aren't prepared, but regular elves are usually fine. Just stick with the usual, i.e. never, ever be burdened (or worse), always fight groups in corridors, and try to have the lowest AC you can and a decent weapon. Elves aren't that fast, provided you aren't burdened or backed into a corner you should be able to run if things get hairy without taking much damage.

I don't like burning enchant scrolls on stuff I won't be wearing in the end-game, since they're often a very limited resource (rng dependant, of course).

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Yeah, my pet had been killed and my god was angry with me so those weren't options. I was dumb and wasn't in the corridor, though. It didn't matter. I woke up the next morning and went "DAMMIT! I had a pickaxe I could have used to escape before they got to me!"

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Just so you avoid another annoying death: digging with a pickaxe is a slow process. It's pretty much only useful as an escape method against things that respect Elbereth (for some reason, the writing is not disturbed until you finish digging, even when digging down).

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I've gotten in trouble with elves a few times. If I see more than two or so and my AC is high (like above 5) I'll just run for a hallway and then try to loop around to the down stairs and come back later. They're not too much trouble once you get some decent mithril armor, but can be nasty within the first ten or so dungeon levels.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
I've now been giving Samurai a shot on a recommendation of a friend.

I say that in the present tense because things have been going exceptionally well. I found a magic lamp in an early shop and netted myself silver dragon scale mail. Of course, Sokoban would then go and have an amulet of reflection, but the mere fact I looted that whole thing made me happy. I found a cloak of magic resistance in Minetown, found a long sword in Mine's End and snagged Excalibur, have both long sword and two weapon skills up to Expert, have a blessed unicorn horn (and have been finding enough nymphs to slaughter that getting potions for holy water has been a nonissue), finally have a bag to carry around. I started with a blindfold and got telepathy off a floating eye. I am now on the same level as the Quest, but only level 12, so a bit of work to go there.

In short, everything's going really well and it's rather worrying because I'm now paranoid something's going to go horribly wrong and I'm going to die. What are the big things I should be concerned about, going forward?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Trasson posted:

In short, everything's going really well and it's rather worrying because I'm now paranoid something's going to go horribly wrong and I'm going to die. What are the big things I should be concerned about, going forward?

Overconfidence would be a huge one.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
You didn't mention any intrinsics. Poison is the big one, but I'd guess you probably have that by now. The others can take you by surprise though - don't go mindlessly attacking fire elementals or blue jellies until you have the appropriate intrinsic. You have reflection so at least beams shouldn't be a problem.

Also, beware of eels (and similar). They ended quite a number of my games just before I started reaching the castle with regularity.

Other than that, you have most of an ascension kit. I usually hit the castle around level 12 - you'll get at least 13 clearing it out, if you're still not 14 you can stair-dance wraiths to the level below the Valley of the Dead to get it. It's worth noting the Samurai quest nemesis has a weapon that can insta-kill you, so melee is not the best idea.

Gehennom should be fine though - it gets a bad rap because it's trivial and boring, not because it's particularly dangerous :)

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Really, the worst thing about it is the fire traps everywhere. You *will* screw up the AC of whatever non-metal armor you're wearing unless you've bothered to erosionproof stuff.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

Really, the worst thing about it is the fire traps everywhere. You *will* screw up the AC of whatever non-metal armor you're wearing unless you've bothered to erosionproof stuff.

They'll also wear away your max HP if you don't have fire resistance. Not that I've tried doing anything so silly as entering Gehennom without having my resistances in line, but it doesn't sound like fun.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

McNerd posted:

They'll also wear away your max HP if you don't have fire resistance. Not that I've tried doing anything so silly as entering Gehennom without having my resistances in line, but it doesn't sound like fun.

Better than the instant death it used to be.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Talking of instant death, if/when you get to the quest, watch that samurai quest nemesis. He'd be nothing remarkable if he wasn't wielding a two-handed sword with a % chance to kill you outright. Sleep/death wand him as soon as he comes into view, if possible.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wolfechu posted:

Talking of instant death, if/when you get to the quest, watch that samurai quest nemesis. He'd be nothing remarkable if he wasn't wielding a two-handed sword with a % chance to kill you outright. Sleep/death wand him as soon as he comes into view, if possible.

Also don't bother using the sword when you beat him. As a two-handed weapon it leaves you pretty screwed if you're wielding it and it gets cursed (even if as an artifact it does resist cursing, it'll still probably happen eventually).

In general you can play a Samurai pretty much like a Valkyrie, except with a bow instead of daggers for your ranged attacks.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
My first ascension was a Samurai and so I wasn't very into ranged attacks at that naive level, but I did very well using Excalibur and a highly enchanted longsword as an off-hand to #twoweapon. Especially late in the game, you can be come a beast, but DEFINITELY do not square off with the quest nemesis. I got bisected 3 times in a row and burned my fortuitous two amulets of lifesaving thus killing me and making me feel dumb.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Archeologist is one of my favorite classes. Use your pet on the early levels, while training your pick-ax on easy stuff like Lichens/goblins. Get to the Mines and find a Dwarvish mattock + Armor. Use those until you get to level 9 or so. At that point you'll probably be able to sacrifice for Greyswandir and then you shouldn't really fear anything monsterwise.

Then it is just a standard ascension.

"Best/easiest" classes to ascend with.
Valkyrie (Dwarven if you want easy mode)
Wizard (gnomish makes an easier early game)
Samurai (basically the same as Valkyrie)

Harder, but still easy:
Knight
Tourist
Archeologists
Priest
Caveman
Barbarian

Difficult early game:
Rogue

Difficult:
Ranger
Healer
Monk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
Ranger and Healer are really really easy to ascend with.

Ranger starts off with a decent chunk of enchanted arrows and good starting gear, does good damage, and has an easy quest. They also have expert in divination which means Identify for everything.

Healers start with upwards of 2k gold which grants them about 6-7 bonus AC from minetown once they make the relatively easy trip down thanks to their innate healing potential. From there, they can rock Unicorn horns at skilled into the Staff which generates hungerless regen and cures illness.

• Locked thread