Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

bigmandan posted:

I was playing around with the asset editor to make a small park (4x4) and I'm confused with some of the properties. For example I set electricity and water usage to 1, but when I plop it down in game it shows as 16 kilowatts for electricity. Anyone have any idea on how the properties in the asset editor work?

Sounds like your 4x4 16 square park is consuming 1 kw per square? Does that field accept decimals?

Carrier posted:

Man I would kill to have a "Road with bus-lane" option.

CiM2 had fully implemented bus lanes that you could use on two-way roads, one-way roads of width 1-5 lane, etc. It seems like the developer scaled back their ambitions for Skylines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

marxismftw posted:

Help!

My mass of cargo trains are getting backed up from some bottleneck outside the playable area, which is causing most of my frieght output to be clogged (I think)., meanwhile, none of my freight leaves toward the closer off-map rail option.

Anyone got any tips for building effective train networks?

I've had this problem too. I think it's a bug, the outside connection its self should not be clogged yet I've also had this 10km long jam of trains before. If you delete the line and wait until all the visible trains are clear (can be a long time) then re-build it it flows ok. I think there's some bug that causes a train to stop somewhere outside the visible range of the map which creates the jam. There's absolutely no reason a straight section of track with no switches should get jammed, everyone should just drive forward at full speed and vanish off the map.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 12, 2015

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
I've had a bug where the screen freezes whenever i try to change the camera angle over a cargo rail or ferry port. Thankfully the game is still running underneath the now frozen screen so F1 quicksaves still work. I've looked on the paradox forum and other people are having the same bug too. Its not game braking, just deleting the cargo terminals fixes the bug for now, but it is gimping my city wide industry policy a bit.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

damnfan posted:

Anyone figure out how to make a roundabout with the proper right of way?

Use highway pieces since they have always right away in the circle.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Vahakyla posted:

Use highway pieces since they have always right away in the circle.

From that giant Twitch stream, the highway on/off-ramp tiles make for great roundabouts.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

damnfan posted:

Anyone figure out how to make a roundabout with the proper right of way?

Make it out of highways.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Alakaiser posted:

All of these crazy road layouts make me hope that someone makes custom buildings inspired by Blade Runner as quickly as possible.

What we need is buildings that can connect to multiple levels of roads.

Or "roads" that are actually traffic markers for flying vehicles, like The Fifth Element.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

deadly_pudding posted:

:eyepop:
That burning chemical silo in the background really, REALLY brings this screenshot together.

It's all in the name of progress.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How do you re-select raised roads/railways you want to keep building from after you have deselected them? I can't find a way, every time I try to build from one the game starts to build a new road over it and I get the "space already occupied" warning.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Mandalay posted:

Sounds like your 4x4 16 square park is consuming 1 kw per square? Does that field accept decimals?

Oh hey that makes sense. I'll have to experiment with the editor when I get home.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Click the end point of the actual bit where the vehicles go, not the base of the legs.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How do you re-select raised roads/railways you want to keep building from after you have deselected them? I can't find a way, every time I try to build from one the game starts to build a new road over it and I get the "space already occupied" warning.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Alakaiser posted:

All of these crazy road layouts make me hope that someone makes custom buildings inspired by Blade Runner as quickly as possible.

I really hope we get a futuristic/sci-fi themed DLC down the road.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

The old part of town

Downtown stretching along the opposite river bank

Highrise apartments with lots of green space near a river

How the neighbourhood looks

The whole city from the sea

My craziest junction atm

How the whole city looks from the sky

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Ever since I legalized it my citizens party a little too hard.

Some more from around:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Once low-density residential maxes out on upgrades they look so silly. Just this endless sea of goofy future-mansions.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Baronjutter posted:

Once low-density residential maxes out on upgrades they look so silly. Just this endless sea of goofy future-mansions.

I like the goofy future mansions :shobon: It's kind of aspirational, because they still seem like pretty modest houses, but with like space-age materials and solar panels.

Tinkle
Sep 26, 2006
As useful as a trapdoor on a lifeboat.
This game made me love and appreciate frontage roads.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wonder if we'll ever get any district based architectural policies. CO hasn't added any style tags for buildings, so I don't think we'll ever see anything like that. I'd so love to be able to download a ton of nice buildings with correct stats from the workshop, all with a standardized list of architectural tags, and then control styles per district. So if you want an old-town district with only old architecture you got it and don't have to look at glassy sci-fi stuff. I really miss the ability to control styles from sc4, and now is absolutely the time to implement such a system and standardized system of tags for the modding community to use.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
This game is really good. I started playing it this morning and before I knew it four hours had passed and my lovely starter city has grown into a wonderful little place where all the locals just tweet about how much they love living in paradise and there's only one bad intersection in the whole town.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

If they ever mod in seasons, I want a plus 15 system as a planning option

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plus_15

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Baronjutter posted:

I wonder if we'll ever get any district based architectural policies. CO hasn't added any style tags for buildings, so I don't think we'll ever see anything like that. I'd so love to be able to download a ton of nice buildings with correct stats from the workshop, all with a standardized list of architectural tags, and then control styles per district. So if you want an old-town district with only old architecture you got it and don't have to look at glassy sci-fi stuff. I really miss the ability to control styles from sc4, and now is absolutely the time to implement such a system and standardized system of tags for the modding community to use.

Setting architectural style by zone would be really cool.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Since the "no high-rises" policy is already a thing it should be possible, no? :confused:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I haven't even played the game yet but im getting shameful amounts of pleasure imaging what EA is thinking, now that they effectively lost a genre that had such a well known title for it. Its kinda fascinating how they let that all go, and the agent system they advertised so much, be done properly by such a smaller team.

I've kinda considered this the Bad Era of Gaming from a consumer standpoint, but god is it cathartic to see something go the other way in such a dramatic fashion, like a cheesy ending to a feel-good underdog sports movie.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I've got this weird flicker going on, tried tweaking the settings but it didn't seem to help.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Look for the film grain removal mod on the workshop. That fixed my flicker.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Slowly expanding the grid and trying to divide the city with parks! Drawing roads is such a chore in this game for some reason.

Since the game has no town halls, I borrowed the Maastrict City Hall from workshop.

Haven't bothered too much with the bus routes, since figuring out a place for them to turn around and head back, and a place where all the lines converge (like a railway station or something) is too hard.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I broke down and ended up buying and playing this for a while just now. Game owns hard.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i loving love pedestrian bridges

and grids :shobon:
please ignore my idiotic one-way streets experiment

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Copying this from another forum so I'm sorry I don't have the link. There has been some serious discussion about exactly how Skylines uses agents. This is a response by the developer:

quote:

Lets see if I can shed some light to this issue!

All workers do not need to get to work. This would simply need too much processing power if all 1 million citizens left to work at the same time. The worker numbers shown in factory information windows are the employees assigned for that building, the ones who can visit it as a work location. Not all of the workers will visit the building at the same time, some might not ever visit it, but they are the ones marked to work in the building. Employees don't need to get to work, but there need to be enough people in the city to assign to each workplace.

If citizens get stuck in traffic they will return to their starting point and abandon the traveling. This mechanic prevents city-wide gridlocks from happening, because when the traffic got that bad, it was very hard for players to see where the actual problem was because the traffic info view showed all roads as congested. Now the traffic jam will stay, but not expand uncontrollably, so it can be found and dealt with. Traffic jams do affect the city, because citizens can't travel to shopping locations, tourists can't travel to shopping locations, goods don't ship to local businesses and raw materials don't reach the industry.

Industry needs connections to receive raw materials and ship goods to outside locations or businesses in the city. For the most tax revenue, you should produce raw materials locally, have industry make them into goods and have local shops sell them. The shared save (Worker bug) has a city that does not even cover the upkeep of the roads with the industry taxes because they do not ship to local commercial areas. All buildings spawn with a small buffer of the items they need (goods for commercial, raw materials for industry) and will only require a shipment once the buffer gets low. In the save's very small city the buffer lasts quite a long time, but if you let the save roll on top speed for about 15 minutes, the buffer empties and commercial starts to need more goods. In a larger city, the buffer is gone fast and thus buildings react to poor connections faster.

So basically goods and raw materials work as agents, but citizens are a combination of agent and statistical model. A good road network makes the city produce more tax revenue, and having public transportation to take citizens to work will benefit the player by generating ticket income. Tourists only spend money in the city if they can reach commercial areas.

The city is quite slow to react to changes, but this was a choice made for stability so you can't accidentally destroy your city by a few poor choices. There's always time to react and fix things.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

How do I choose a specialization? I created a district in my industrial area, its sitting on top of ore, but i can't choose a specialization for some reason.

Edit: Im dumb, you need to go to the district menu and specify it as an ore district.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

queeb posted:

How do I choose a specialization? I created a district in my industrial area, its sitting on top of ore, but i can't choose a specialization for some reason.

It's in the district painting menu, not the district policies its self. Just click on the mining zone and then click on your district.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Lorini posted:

Copying this from another forum so I'm sorry I don't have the link. There has been some serious discussion about exactly how Skylines uses agents. This is a response by the developer:

It amuses me that it's a little difficult to tell if some of that is a nuanced dig at SimCity 2013 or if it's just an explanation of how they fixed the problems SimCity also had when they encountered them.

Read a bunch of this thread after it was mentioned in the SimCity 2013 thread and snapped it up last night, played too much of it, was really tired this morning. Need to work on making the city not a hodge podge of insanity and/or start over. It really is just what we've been waiting for I think.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Avocados posted:

I haven't even played the game yet but im getting shameful amounts of pleasure imaging what EA is thinking, now that they effectively lost a genre that had such a well known title for it. Its kinda fascinating how they let that all go, and the agent system they advertised so much, be done properly by such a smaller team.

I've kinda considered this the Bad Era of Gaming from a consumer standpoint, but god is it cathartic to see something go the other way in such a dramatic fashion, like a cheesy ending to a feel-good underdog sports movie.
They just killed off Maxis again - basically it was a shell after Spore dropped and The Sims were folded off to another studio - so I doubt that EA gives a poo poo.

I very distinctly thinking playing the first Cities in Motion 3-4 years back, which was a bit janky but also had a fair amount of charm, that CO could might make a pretty decent city builder, but I'm pretty much blown away by how good it is out of the box, with further improvements down the track.

Hopefully the amount of :10bux: flooding in via Paradox means they'll continue support for a while, they did a reasonable amount of follow-up on CiM2 (better timetabling and being to easily adjust variables) but at some point they stopped because they were obviously working on this.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Deadly Hume posted:

They just killed off Maxis again - basically it was a shell after Spore dropped and The Sims were folded off to another studio - so I doubt that EA gives a poo poo.

I very distinctly thinking playing the first Cities in Motion 3-4 years back, which was a bit janky but also had a fair amount of charm, that CO could might make a pretty decent city builder, but I'm pretty much blown away by how good it is out of the box, with further improvements down the track.

Hopefully the amount of :10bux: flooding in via Paradox means they'll continue support for a while, they did a reasonable amount of follow-up on CiM2 (better timetabling and being to easily adjust variables) but at some point they stopped because they were obviously working on this.

There's still people very very angry on the paradox forums about how FASCIST Colossal order has betrayed the fans by abandoning CiM2.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
My only question is : who's going to re-create the superior Magnasanti?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTJQTc-TqpU

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Opened modding wiki page and welp:

quote:

Security considerations

The code in Mods for Cities: Skylines is not executed in a sandbox.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

There's still people very very angry on the paradox forums about how FASCIST Colossal order has betrayed the fans by abandoning CiM2.

Well it does still have some serious bugs that make things like playing through the campaign a total chore in what ought to be a really fun game

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Lorini posted:

The part about businesses and goods is definitely true.

Don't be me and neglect good traffic flow to your commercial areas. Biting me in the rear end after about 70K pop.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Just rename the thread to "Cities Skylines: Through the Fire and the Flames" because holy poo poo I've never seen such an incompetent fire brigade.

I really wish building would say which stupid services they need to upgrade too, they have access to every city service, a bus line, a metro, both kinds of trains and plenty of recreational areas but gently caress that let's stay one inch under max level. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I'm 100% fine with agents not being the be-all and end-all of the simulation and some things being abstracted. Even in sc4 with an abstracted traffic model you got all sorts of abandonment issues simply due to bad pathfinding, with a 100% agent based simulation you get simcity 2013. Once again though I wish more of the game was tweakable. She mentions that sims actually getting to work give a very minor bonus to the workplace, I wish this was more important. Not critical, but just more important.

• Locked thread