Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've been playing the game off and on for a couple weeks now, and I really enjoy the setting and the novel HRV mode, and in particular I like that game mode with the Ghost in the Shell style spider tank. But I'm pretty clueless when it comes to parts and stuff, so I was hoping someone could help me create a themed loadout.

I'd like to look like one of the combine troopers from Half Life 2, with the white faced "Civil Protection" mask and a smg and shotgun similar to the one's used in the game.
Can anyone recommend what types of armor and guns could achieve this look? As far as actual play mechanics I'd be fine with any armor that wasn't super light and fast/flimsy.

I'm not even level ten yet but I'd take any suggestion because if it's way above my level range It'd just give me something to anticipate.
If anyone could drop some suggestions I'd appreciate it; I've seen some really cool designs in the thread but I get glassy eyed looking at the customization screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

You can't make a stockless smg or shotty, so I think these are the closest you can come:

The grip on the shotty may not be true to HL, but you definately want it anyway :v:

As for the helmet, the Allied R21V Hunter looks somewhat similar.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Artificer posted:

God, I wish.

"HEAL ME, YOU DUMB MOTHERFUCKER."
When I need healing from someone and they don't do it, I usually stand in front of their faces and keep jumping, blocking their sight. They tend to figure it out, although the dumber ones may take quite a bit to do so. But it's a lot more fun than just typing in chat :)

mechanicalFactory
Dec 24, 2011

I could calculate your chances of survival... but you won't like it.
Anyone know a good Light Machine Gun build? I spent all my gp on a perma of it, a few weeks before the patch, and I have little idea how to actually use it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I figured out what they're doing! I bet someone else already said this but I don't remember it.

Either the OP or someone's post said that this game encourages weekend binges, instead of a few matches every day. Well they're switching now. The weekly free weapons, the 7-day rentals, the daily missions, they're all geared towards making you play Blacklight err day, if not all day. I played three or four matches last night and got all I wanted from a day's play with in-game stuff (not to say I didn't want to play more matches though). It's just a shift in business model, which happens to have been made through some incredibly stupid changes guaranteed to piss off 100% of the fanbase.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Jack B Nimble posted:

I've been playing the game off and on for a couple weeks now, and I really enjoy the setting and the novel HRV mode, and in particular I like that game mode with the Ghost in the Shell style spider tank. But I'm pretty clueless when it comes to parts and stuff, so I was hoping someone could help me create a themed loadout.

I'd like to look like one of the combine troopers from Half Life 2, with the white faced "Civil Protection" mask and a smg and shotgun similar to the one's used in the game.
Can anyone recommend what types of armor and guns could achieve this look? As far as actual play mechanics I'd be fine with any armor that wasn't super light and fast/flimsy.

I'm not even level ten yet but I'd take any suggestion because if it's way above my level range It'd just give me something to anticipate.
If anyone could drop some suggestions I'd appreciate it; I've seen some really cool designs in the thread but I get glassy eyed looking at the customization screen.

Here is my go at it:

Problem is the 182 HP and only 3 slots. This is what I run when I want to feel pretty :allears: but it also has the same problems:

I'm sure you can play around and find something that works out for you. My suggestion would limit your choices down to pieces that give two slots and work out the look from that pool. As long as you get a white camo and the Hunter helmet you'll be 90% there.

NihilCredo posted:

When I need healing from someone and they don't do it, I usually stand in front of their faces and keep jumping, blocking their sight. They tend to figure it out, although the dumber ones may take quite a bit to do so. But it's a lot more fun than just typing in chat :)

That is the worst especially considering they can see HP bar floating over your heard! Not to mention I want to rage quit when I die to incendiary damage since my agent is using the "seananners" voice pack. You not only see that I’m on fire but you also you can hear "Ahhh I'm on FIRE! AHHH!" in a really stupid voice belting out of my model.
:doh:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

mechanicalFactory posted:

Anyone know a good Light Machine Gun build? I spent all my gp on a perma of it, a few weeks before the patch, and I have little idea how to actually use it.
Maximum damage is the way to go, 73 damage gets a LOT of people into the three-shot-kill zone; I've tried less lethal builds and the benefits are never worth it. Weight is worthless because the gun punishes you for strafing, so always pick the heaviest parts available. After that I tend to prioritize accuracy over recoil, but that's a matter of preference.

My build is:

Muzzle: Two-Step (use the RAS-6 if you're not high-level enough, it's very close)
Barrel: GX3 Heavy
Mag: Quick
Stock: Taurex Mod 0
Tag: Daylight if you got it, otherwise Damage

Read the OP for some usage tips. TL;DR: Be fat and always ADS.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 18, 2013

mechanicalFactory
Dec 24, 2011

I could calculate your chances of survival... but you won't like it.
Neat, thanks.
Guess I'll have to learn to wait for the enemies instead of running through and hoping I don't get shot.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Neat, thanks.
Guess I'll have to learn to wait for the enemies instead of running through and hoping I don't get shot.

I would also suggest you add the HRV blackout mine and proximity mine to your arsenal when you get the levels for it. They are invaluable when you are trying to hold a position. That’s how I roll with my AK and AMR. I blackout a spot, setup a prox mine on the approach to my blind spot, and murder anyone that steps into my line of fire. Actually, now I kind of want to rent the LMG/LMG-R and bust out my “fatty on a diet” 242 build.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Neat, thanks.

When you HRV and see an enemy that's about to move out of cover, around a corner or whatever, start shooting before he's visible. That'll get rid of the initial crazy recoil and make the shots much more likely to connect.

The LMG is a gun for Napoleons, not Rambos :v:

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

New Raptr rewards in six days.

http://raptr.com/rewards/blacklight-newbie-pack
http://raptr.com/rewards/blacklight-experienced-pack
http://raptr.com/rewards/blacklight-elite-pack

So, free shotgun, machine pistol and AK470 for everyone :smithicide:
Leave the Raptr desktop client and BL:R running overnight for a night or two, to hit Elite.

e: Raptr is also hosting some event where you can play against either PWE or Zombie staff and win a gold pack:
http://raptr.com/LinkSmash/news/516edc5e0a12b4d027/raptr-game-night-play-with-blacklight-retribution-devs
(I doubt Zombie has a Manager of Community Managers position).

Lima fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 18, 2013

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Lima posted:

New Raptr rewards in six days.

http://raptr.com/rewards/blacklight-newbie-pack
http://raptr.com/rewards/blacklight-experienced-pack
http://raptr.com/rewards/blacklight-elite-pack

So, free shotgun, machine pistol and AK470 for everyone :smithicide:
Leave the Raptr desktop client and BL:R running overnight for a night or two, to hit Elite.
Firstly, if you play BLR through Steam, you can sync up Steam with Raptr and Raptr will pick up the hours you've played from your Steam profile. Also, alternatively you can track gametime manually (for up to 6 hours at a time).

I'm already considered "Elite" in BLR but it's not showing me as having met the requirement for that on the reward pages yet.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Holy poo poo. Yesssss.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

gibbed posted:

Firstly, if you play BLR through Steam, you can sync up Steam with Raptr and Raptr will pick up the hours you've played from your Steam profile. Also, alternatively you can track gametime manually (for up to 6 hours at a time).

I'm already considered "Elite" in BLR but it's not showing me as having met the requirement for that on the reward pages yet.

I'm somehow the second place BLR player on Raptr and it's not showing my rank either.

*Edit* They're also doing a stream and giveaway with some of the devs.
http://raptr.com/LinkSmash/news/516edc5e0a12b4d027/raptr-game-night-play-with-blacklight-retribution-devs

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 18, 2013

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

It's showing me as Elite, but yeah it says I don't fulfill the reqs on the reward pages yet, either. Ah well, time to run the Raptr app to get that check mark, at least.

Morshu
Sep 30, 2009

Attack monkey! Monkey attack!
Hell yeah. I've been wanting an HAR or AK for awhile now but haven't spent the GP/zen for one. The machine pistol and gaudy camoes are just icing on the cake.

AKs for everyone! :unsmigghh:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Lima posted:

e: Raptr is also hosting some event where you can play against either PWE or Zombie staff and win a gold pack:
(I doubt Zombie has a Manager of Community Managers position).

So what, we need to be on the stream instead of the game to get a chance to win these goodies? And I'd expect them to just do a code giveaway where they just post the code in chat and whoever is fastest gets it, which is going to be lame.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'm somehow the second place BLR player on Raptr and it's not showing my rank either.
It shows the same thing for me, didn't even notice. Guess it's just bugged.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I'm actually super excited about the Machine Pistol. I can't use a shotgun to save my life, literally. It'll be good to have a secondary that is sprayable.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

The status requirement is now flagged properly for the Raptr rewards, for me anyway.

Specto
Jun 28, 2010
Of course, this happens after I get a perm AK from a mission chance pack. goddammit

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Well piss. I just bought the AK47 last week and the market is about to be flooded with AK47s so I won't be able to trade it. Well, in time when the packs are gone some random nooby is going to get a nice present.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Don't get your hopes up though, since the actual reward page doesn't mention it's a permanent AK470.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

gibbed posted:

Don't get your hopes up though, since the actual reward page doesn't mention it's a permanent AK470.

I would much rather everyone in the clan get free AK47s forever.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

gibbed posted:

All of Raptr's previous rewards have been permanents. Plus, the AK is the top-tier reward. Considering you can already get it from Mission Chance Packs I'd be really surprised if the Raptr reward weren't permanent.

On more economy news, PWE is starting to talk a bit about how to replace the 1-day rentals. Apparently they don't want to just bring them back because (they think) it made it too easy for people to forget about the game, but they say they're open to finding some other way to make it cheap/free to play Gun Barbie.

It's going to take some luck for their new plan to not suck balls since they clearly don't play the game - one of the ideas they floated was adding random 1-day attachments to mission chance packs. Yes, that surely would be useful for experimenting :ughh:

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

All of Raptr's previous rewards have been permanents. Plus, the AK is the top-tier reward. Considering you can already get it from Mission Chance Packs I'd be really surprised if the Raptr reward weren't permanent.
Could have sworn the previous ones had time limited unlocks, maybe I'm misremembering.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
How are you guys getting Steam to track your playtime? Mine just tracks how much time I spend in the launcher, and that's not helpful. I'm also not getting achievements, which is less problematic and more just annoying.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

^^^^ Did you install the game through Steam, or did you add it manually?

gibbed posted:

Could have sworn the previous ones had time limited unlocks, maybe I'm misremembering.
Now that you mention it, there was a 30-day Metallic Black camo among the other permanent rewards. So yeah, it could potentially be a 30-day AK470 I suppose.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

NihilCredo posted:

^^^^ Did you install the game through Steam, or did you add it manually?

Through Steam. Downloaded it from there and everything. Had to turn off automatic updates or it would keep reverting the game back to how I downloaded it.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I really wish the normal pistols were pinpoint accurate. I want to run around and play Jack Bauer and be somewhat effective.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
Looks like these Raptr rewards have about 3/4 new stuff since the last time they did this. About 4 hours away from Elite, too.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

bbcisdabomb posted:

Through Steam. Downloaded it from there and everything. Had to turn off automatic updates or it would keep reverting the game back to how I downloaded it.

You may just have to manually add in those 6 hours and either run the Raptr client while you play for now (lame) or just sit on the launcher for hours on end.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Do you launch through steam too? I added it manually after downloading the installer off their site and it's tracking mine just fine as long as I launch it through steam.

E: The Raptr "Newbie Pack" contains "Metallic Gold Body Camo"... the same one from the Zombie issued "Veterans Pack". :ughh:
E2: The Raptr "Experienced Pack" contains the "Overmatch Bonebreaker BKR.a"! I wanted it and this saves me from spending ZEN.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 19, 2013

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I do launch through Steam. Maybe I should just add the game as a non-steam game, that seems to be working for people.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

SwitchbladeKult posted:

E: The Raptr "Newbie Pack" contains "Metallic Gold Body Camo"... the same one from the Zombie issued "Veterans Pack". :ughh:
It's not the same one. The Metallic Gold body camo used to be exclusive to developers. The weapon camo is available for regular sale, and you can check it's a less ugly shade than the piss-yellow Veteran.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

It's not the same one. The Metallic Gold body camo used to be exclusive to developers. The weapon camo is available for regular sale, and you can check it's a less ugly shade than the piss-yellow Veteran.

What I really want is that silver tin foil looking one.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Looking at it, it seems as if it's not counting my time played either except for the launcher...

e: Either that or their site is just slow to update times played, which makes sense. Most stats tracking sites I've seen are not real-time because that would be a giant strain on their servers.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 19, 2013

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

SwitchbladeKult posted:

What I really want is that silver tin foil looking one.

I wonder if trading multiple veteran packs is enough to nab an E3 one from someone

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

So if I leave Blacklight running overnight I'll get a free shotgun and AK receiver, right? I've been wanting a shotgun and if its free then I can do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Isn't the Metal Storm a premade?

• Locked thread