Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Hey Goons, what's the best way to go about making replays available to view on LolReplay? Would anyone here mind looking through it and telling me on what I can do to improve my ADC play? Should I record it and upload it to youtube or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007
You're supposed to push as an ADC because fundamentally you're there to take towers. You push as soon as you get to lane to hit level 2 faster, you push the lane to get minions to their turret so they can't back, you kill minions faster than the enemy so if they trade on your creep wave then your creeps will do more damage than theirs. The only time you shouldn't push is if you've got a huge advantage (2-x kill lead) and you're freezing to deny the other laner. This is pretty much only useful in competitive play. They also changed the jungle in S4 so that you can't deny levels as easily by freezing the lane at your tower.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Monathin posted:

Dragon Bush: There is a singular patch of brush closer to midlane by Dragon. Grab a pink ward and drop it here on your first back. You will catch so many opportunities by having that pink there. Whether its seeing the Jungler with more than ten seconds to spare, or being able to help interce0t a roaming midlaner. People are catching on so these wards will get spotted usually around the 15-20 minute mark, but they are still invaluable while theyre up.

I generally ward in all these places except farther up river cause whenever I go too far out of my way to ward I end up getting caught. Usually I'll throw a pink in Tribush and greens/trinkets in the other two. I try to always upgrade my coin (coin for life, gently caress Targon's) on my first back and ideally get boots, and a sight stone usually gets pushed off to about third back cause I'm trying to finish my first actual item (in Poppy's case, Lich Bane). I honestly wish sight stone gave no health and was like 400 gold cause it would be a lot easier to get and still get real items to help actually fight in lane, given how aggressive bot lane is.

I've tried Taric, and I like him but I'm poo poo with him. Lulu is, sadly, a 6300, and if I get that much IP I'm gonna get somebody fun for a role I enjoy, like Kha or Jayce, before I get a 6300 support (why Nami isn't 4800 is a mystery to me). Honestly i should try Alistair, he seems like Poppy with a heal, but I've heard the meta isn't kind to him at the moment.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Lightning Knight posted:

I've tried Taric, and I like him but I'm poo poo with him. Lulu is, sadly, a 6300, and if I get that much IP I'm gonna get somebody fun for a role I enjoy, like Kha or Jayce, before I get a 6300 support (why Nami isn't 4800 is a mystery to me). Honestly i should try Alistair, he seems like Poppy with a heal, but I've heard the meta isn't kind to him at the moment.

Nami isn't going to get a price reduction to 4800 for a long time. There are 22 champions who are going to get a price reduction before her :(.

Alistar is rightfully in a not great place right now. He's a massive piece of poo poo with 2 reliable CC moves, a highly spammable AoE heal, and a massively tanky ult. But for those same reasons he can be really good if you get good with him. You just really need to be good with him to make him work. His most important facet is being able to pull off his W+Q combo. You headbutt towards someone with W and hit Q right before you connect so you slam them up instead of butting them backwards. It's like a ghetto Leona E+Q. Use your ult as Alistar to prevent as much damage as possible instead of saving it until you are almost dead. When spamming your heal remember that it is going to push your lane fairly hard since it heals minions. Alistar just takes so much work right now to function well he's basically a worse version of Leona. She does everything he can do (minus the mana-cost heavy heal) but better.

That being said he's busted as hell on ARAM because his mana costs might as well not exist and he just shits CC everywhere. If you want to try him out make sure you get him for free, and his free skin, by following Riot on YouTube.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Nami isn't 4800 because she owns and deserves to be 6300 for those who wish her powers. :colbert:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Seems like most of the talk specific to roles in here lately has been about jungling or support. Any good streams or videos to follow for mid-lane tips? Jungle was initially the role I looked at most, but after playing Orianna once she has immediately become my favorite champ. I doubt I'm playing her nearly as well as I could/should be, but I've found her kit more fun than any other champ I've played so far.

EDIT: Also is Karthus viable as a jungler? Might get him and/or Leblanc after Orianna.

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 4, 2014

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Zerilan posted:

Seems like most of the talk specific to roles in here lately has been about jungling or support. Any good streams or videos to follow for mid-lane tips? Jungle was initially the role I looked at most, but after playing Orianna once she has immediately become my favorite champ. I doubt I'm playing her nearly as well as I could/should be, but I've found her kit more fun than any other champ I've played so far.

Voyboy and Scarra.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Zerilan posted:

EDIT: Also is Karthus viable as a jungler? Might get him and/or Leblanc after Orianna.

Karthus can work as a jungler, but you need to have a good answer to the question, "Why am I not running him in lane?" Karthus' strength as a champion comes in a large part from being able to farm up and use an item advantage to become a blender of death complete with a 3-minute arm time nuclear arsenal. The jungle's relatively low gold yield will mean you are inevitably playing from behind cash-wise in the majority of your games.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

So many of the champs I want are 6300, Ahri, Jayce, Jinx, Kha, Lulu, Nami, Shyvana, Syndra, Thresh, Vi, Volibear, Yasuo, Zed, Ziggs.

Gonna have to drop real money if any of them get on sale or I'll never get to buy them.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Zerilan posted:

There's a Challenger player who is pretty famous/notorious for his jungle Karthus so it can work but chances are you'll get counter jungled hard/die to jungle camps.

Voyboy is pretty informative when he streams and is always positive. Chances are he won't be streaming so much given his team's performance recently though. Wingsofdeath is usually pretty informative but sometimes he goes into inanities or gets whiny.

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

Funny then, that such darkness gives me hope
To continue the discussion of bot lane pushing, Caitlyn is a champion who especially wants to push hard. Her range lets her constantly hit minions without getting auto-attack harassed and her headshot damage and Q let her shove waves quickly. Once she's shoved the wave to tower, she is excellent at demolishing it, as her range let's her stand back and hit it safely, and her traps force the enemy ADC to stand in awkward positions where they can't hit you. And then if the jungler comes, her E is a good, albeit not great, escape.

If you are playing as Caitlyn and playing safe and waiting for the late game, you're wasting her great lane dominance and tower destroying strengths. In my opinion, she's an above average late game ADC due to her range and decent steroid, but you need to take as advantage of her strong early game if you want to use her full potential.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Caitlyn is probably the safest ADC in the game. Between her traps, movement ability, and incredibly long range, you should very rarely be in harms way. This sort of converts to a strong, non-number based late game power. Her late game steroid is basically, "I can keep doing damage because I'm not dead." She is great against at team that is going to want to dive you. When you aren't sure which ADC to play, Caitlyn is really hard to go wrong with. This holds true for draft/ranked if you have an early pick and have no idea what you are going to be up against.

Many people like to use her traps to prevent being ganked during laning. If you can, instead ward well and use your traps to zone the hell out of the other ADC. Give them a really narrow lane with which to try to CS and fight you in.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
I joined the Dark Side and bought Mundo cause he was on sale. Can I get some general tips for him? Items, skill order, play style, etc. I put him through his paces in the jungle during a bot match and actually killed myself in a camp early on because I didn't realize how brutal his early HP costs are (and boy was I humiliated :ughh:), but by the end it felt like I was the familiar wrecking ball I've had to face so many times hauling rear end out of the enemy jungle/top lane.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Daeren posted:

I joined the Dark Side and bought Mundo cause he was on sale. Can I get some general tips for him? Items, skill order, play style, etc. I put him through his paces in the jungle during a bot match and actually killed myself in a camp early on because I didn't realize how brutal his early HP costs are (and boy was I humiliated :ughh:), but by the end it felt like I was the familiar wrecking ball I've had to face so many times hauling rear end out of the enemy jungle/top lane.

A 9 bot game was exactly what I did when I bought the digital collectors pack of champions. Got the pack cause I was light on junglers and top champions and it seemed like a good idea as it has Evelynn, Nasus, Rammus, Nunu, Warwick, Fiddlesticks, Amumu and Tryndamere.

First time jungling (ever) with Rammus in that 9 bot game and I almost died to the first camp, ended the game 32/3 which was fun. Jungling is hard, is there any... really beginner tutorials and common route things? People keep referring to the camps as red and blue but I'm not entirely sure which camps give which colours of buffs. Or what the buffs do.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hypocrisy posted:

Voyboy is pretty informative when he streams and is always positive. Chances are he won't be streaming so much given his team's performance recently though. Wingsofdeath is usually pretty informative but sometimes he goes into inanities or gets whiny.

Even if he's not streaming you can always go through the video archives on twitch. This also has the advantage of looking for a specific champion they might play.

http://www.twitch.tv/Voyboy/profile/pastBroadcasts
http://www.twitch.tv/scarra/profile/pastBroadcasts

Voyboy and Scarra are probably your best bet for midlane. They both go into matchups, item choices and why they're doing specific things during the game.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I can't give much advice on jungle Mundo, but I can offer you some advice on lane Mundo.

Start Q at level 1, E at 2 (for dueling and easier last hitting), another point in Q at 3, then W at 4. From there skill preference for me is R>Q>W>E. Throw cleavers when you can hit them for harass, use them to last hit early if you can't safely farm, etc. You pretty much want to pop your ult on cooldown for the crazy regen unless you think you'll need it for the speed boost soon. The cooldown on it is surprisingly short.

In most situations, start Doran's Shield and a potion. The shield helps against other bruisers and it gives you health and regen. Good stuff. I'd still build the traditional bruiser items on him as my first couple of items (spirit visage and sunfire cape, order depending on what you're facing in lane). If there's no AP on the enemy team at all, go thornmail instead I guess. I usually run sorc boots for the extra penetration for your cleavers. You're not really looking to stack offensive stats because your cleavers do %hp damage.

Be careful early game because you're weakest then, once you get your ult you're much stronger and you'll only start getting stronger from there when you can chunk waves fast and steal jungle creeps from the enemy jungle if you need to, etc.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Xachariah posted:

A 9 bot game was exactly what I did when I bought the digital collectors pack of champions. Got the pack cause I was light on junglers and top champions and it seemed like a good idea as it has Evelynn, Nasus, Rammus, Nunu, Warwick, Fiddlesticks, Amumu and Tryndamere.

First time jungling (ever) with Rammus in that 9 bot game and I almost died to the first camp, ended the game 32/3 which was fun. Jungling is hard, is there any... really beginner tutorials and common route things? People keep referring to the camps as red and blue but I'm not entirely sure which camps give which colours of buffs. Or what the buffs do.

Blue buff comes from the big golem, which is top on blue side and bottom on red side. It gives CDR and mana regenration.

Red buff comes from the lizard, which is bottom on blue side and top on red side. It causes your autoattack to deal bonus true (unmitigatable) damage and slow.

The most common route through the jungle is starting with one of the big buffs, depending on your champion and theirs (if you want to invade or think they're going to invade, start red), with the help of your laners smite it and kill it. Do the closest small camp (wraith if you started red, wolves if you started blue) and then go do the other big camp, then gank/farm.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

I played a ton of Elise back before they nerfed her rappel. I picked her up again and she fits like a glove, but dammit, the rappel still bothers me. You used to be able to drop back down behind a running enemy with enough distance to Q right on top of them, but not anymore. How can you use rappel aggressively now without using it as your opening ability?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Xachariah posted:

The giant rock monster gives blue and the big lizard gives red. They have glowing rings under them to show which one you're getting. Blue gives you tons of mana regen and CDR, red gives you true damage over time and an on-hit slow effect to your autoattacks (which I think increases as you hit people over time but don't quote me on that one).

I don't think there are any really beginner tutorials, and I honestly think jungling is something better taught to you by somebody actually in a game with you or spectating you and walking you through it or just watching somebody do it over and over again, and the real problem with jungling is that it's the only position that's completely trial by fire and can't be effectively practiced in bot games other than the most basic aspects of clearing and farming (which are the least important parts of jungling as far as it impacts the game as a whole).

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

^^ You too. Also I'm not technically a beginner as I'm level 30 and have a second level 20 account, I've just never been interested in jungling as someone else always handled it out of sight.

Hellioning posted:

Blue buff comes from the big golem, which is top on blue side and bottom on red side. It gives CDR and mana regenration.

Red buff comes from the lizard, which is bottom on blue side and top on red side. It causes your autoattack to deal bonus true (unmitigatable) damage and slow.

The most common route through the jungle is starting with one of the big buffs, depending on your champion and theirs (if you want to invade or think they're going to invade, start red), with the help of your laners smite it and kill it. Do the closest small camp (wraith if you started red, wolves if you started blue) and then go do the other big camp, then gank/farm.

Thanks for the advice, so refreshing to see a jungle guide that isn't in code.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 5, 2014

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I've been playing for a bit now, and I'm enjoying playing as Annie. I tried Lissandra, Sona and Nami when they were free and they were pretty fun too. Any other champions that are similar that I should try?

I tried using Nunu but I'm just absolutely horrid as him.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I'm going to suggest Morgana once again. It seems like you're a fan of mages and Morgana's pretty cheap but she's still good. Do you prefer the tankier mages like Lis or champs with damage like Annie? I can chuck some more suggestions if you want.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Well, I kinda like playing both, though I like all of Lis's AOE skills. I usually use my skills, pull back and attack again when the cooldown is over, but I'm not really good, so I'm not sure if that's the best strategy in general.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'd recommend Morgana too, she's great fun and has a surprising amount of good match ups, not to mention just great wave clear so it's hard to lose lane with her.

If you're enjoying Lissandra though I'd keep playing her, I own Liss and don't play her anywhere near enough, she's a great addition to any teamfight providing your team knows how to capitalize on her engagements.

Xachariah posted:

^^ You too. Also I'm not technically a beginner as I'm level 30 and have a second level 20 account, I've just never been interested in jungling as someone else always handled it out of sight.

Thanks for the advice, so refreshing to see a jungle guide that isn't in code.
You should definitely try it dude, it's the trickiest to learn but the most rewarding I feel. You just pop up into lanes and terrorize people when you get ahead, especially if you're a champ with good ganks. J4 is my main jungle nowadays and he's great fun to play. You just rock up into lanes and poo poo on people.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
It's really disheartening to start a game off well with a winning mid and bot lane, and a meh top Aatrox but he's against Renekton and never died to him so who cares, and I'm jungling and then slowly but sure bot lane just falls apart and gets its poo poo pushed in and feeds their ADC and jungle so that their mid can recover and Renekton can lead them in loving us for a surrender at 25. :smith:

You know a game was miserable when one of your buffs executed you while jungling cause you ran out of mana trying to help a lane and are that far behind that mana is still an issue to you. :v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am trying to learn top lane Renekton. Any advice for me.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am trying to learn top lane Renekton. Any advice for me.

A good safe build: Start dorans shield and a potion. Skill W at level 1, E at level 2, Q at 3. Max order is R>Q>E>W.

Your W is an auto attack reset, try and hit them with your AA, then your W so you get the extra damage (and then a free AA after the stun).
Your E hits slightly behind you, so if you're running away from someone right on your rear end and no minions are around to dash through, stop for a split second so they catch up, then E->E away.
Your E can go through thin walls like Flash.
You've got no resource but cooldowns, use your buttons.
Your bases are really high, so at level 2-3 you're going to crush a lot of lane opponents. Don't be afraid to go in hard and kill them. Renekton has to get ahead early, because he's not doing much late.

Get a dorans blade on first back and a brutalizer.
Against AP, build spirit visage. against AD build sunfire cape. Then usually pick up the one you didn't get before. Randuin's Omen is also quite good (for vs AD and for team fights both).
Your R gives you health, some magic damage around you AND MAKES YOUR SKILLS HIT FURTHER AWAY. Don't be afraid to use this, it is quite powerful.

Renekton is pretty easy and doesn't really have many true counters, as most of his worst matchups come down to being skill matchups.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zaodai posted:

Renekton is pretty easy and doesn't really have many true counters, as most of his worst matchups come down to being skill matchups.

This seems to be my problem right now. Though I always skipped Dorans Shield. Guess that was a bad move on my part.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

My first game with Elise was atrocious, I did not understand what I was supposed to be doing with her skills and it was just pathetic. My second game went really good actually, now that I know I should be doing her little combos. The true damage on human form Q with the execute on spider form Q is really handy, but I have a question about it. Since Q is an execute does that mean I want to smite first and then Q, or the other order, or does it not matter? Should I just not be using them both on the same target?

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

rabidsquid posted:

My first game with Elise was atrocious, I did not understand what I was supposed to be doing with her skills and it was just pathetic. My second game went really good actually, now that I know I should be doing her little combos. The true damage on human form Q with the execute on spider form Q is really handy, but I have a question about it. Since Q is an execute does that mean I want to smite first and then Q, or the other order, or does it not matter? Should I just not be using them both on the same target?

You should use your smite to last hit the big jungle monsters. It does more damage than her spider Q. The damage on her abilities aren't true damage, it just does a percentage of health. The human Q takes off more when the enemy is full health and the Spider Q takes off more health when they're low health. Now, if you build a lot of spell penetration, then your abilities might as well be true damage.

Some nice tips and tricks if you don't know it already: when you're jungling as a spider you can pull back just a little bit and have your spiderlings tank for you. Comes in real handy in keeping her health topped off. If you're really good with spiderling tanking, you can maybe solo dragon at level 4. It's really hard to do. Have to be on point with the spiderlings.

I think someone above mentioned that when you Q as a spider, all the spiderlings jump with you, that includes the Human W spider. It's hilarious to watch that little bastard jump from off screen.

Mercedes fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 5, 2014

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

It doesn't really matter. When you're taking camps like spectre, red, and blue, you can smite-Q or Q-smite to finish the spectre, big golem, and big lizard off. Keep in mind her Q has a maximum damage vs monsters, though, and at level 1 the base damage is the same as the max damage vs say, blue buff. In that case you want to Q-smite because smiting doesn't increase Q damage.

At level 5 Elise's Q maxes out at 300 damage vs monsters, and otherwise does 260 +8% of target's missing health. If your target is missing 500 health or more (which will always be the case for things you want to smite and Q), your execute has maximum damage. Smiting the monster first won't increase it. Basically always Q then smite.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Zaodai posted:

A good safe build: Start dorans shield and a potion. Skill W at level 1, E at level 2, Q at 3. Max order is R>Q>E>W.

Your W is an auto attack reset, try and hit them with your AA, then your W so you get the extra damage (and then a free AA after the stun).
Your E hits slightly behind you, so if you're running away from someone right on your rear end and no minions are around to dash through, stop for a split second so they catch up, then E->E away.
Your E can go through thin walls like Flash.
You've got no resource but cooldowns, use your buttons.
Your bases are really high, so at level 2-3 you're going to crush a lot of lane opponents. Don't be afraid to go in hard and kill them. Renekton has to get ahead early, because he's not doing much late.

Get a dorans blade on first back and a brutalizer.
Against AP, build spirit visage. against AD build sunfire cape. Then usually pick up the one you didn't get before. Randuin's Omen is also quite good (for vs AD and for team fights both).
Your R gives you health, some magic damage around you AND MAKES YOUR SKILLS HIT FURTHER AWAY. Don't be afraid to use this, it is quite powerful.

Why would you skill up W instead of Q at level 1? Q lets you push the wave if need be, lets you heal up, has a larger range so you can use it to safely harass the opponent, and has a 5 second lower cooldown.

At level 1, W doesn't even give you more damage, or if it does it's negligible compared to your Q. That 0.75 stun certainly doesn't make up for all of that.

Anyway, Renekton tips. Q, then W, then E. Max Q, then E. There isn't much point in maxing W since your stun duration doesn't increase. Maxing E drops its cooldown by a lot.

The basic Renekton combo is to E through creeps next to your opponent, W them, Q, and then E out. You can fit in autos here and there depending on if you have fury and how the opponent responds.

Fury management is important. Fury makes all your skills better. You can easily surprise an opponent if they are unaware of this.

Cooldown management is important too. Renekton's cooldowns are pretty long and when you can't use your skills, you're not very strong so be careful when using your skills, especially early on. E at rank 1 has a whopping 18 seconds of cooldown for example.

As for your ult, use it sooner rather than later. It's not an ult to be saved. If you're going for a big fight, pop it. Not only does the damage over time it does add up, it also lets you gain fury which makes your initial attack all the stronger.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 5, 2014

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Okay good info on her Q usage, thanks guys. I can see why Elise is so popular, that 2 second stun not to mention her having a jump on spider form Q and rappel make her extremely mobile. I sort of managed aggro with spider tanking but is there any way to reliably cycle which spider is tanking? I feel like I lose one too fast when I am doing camps at low level.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Hypocrisy posted:

Why would you skill up W instead of Q at level 1? Q lets you push the wave if need be, lets you heal up, has a larger range so you can use it to safely harass the opponent, and has a 5 second lower cooldown.

At level 1, W doesn't even give you more damage, or if it does it's negligible compared to your Q. That 0.75 stun certainly doesn't make up for all of that.

Anyway, Renekton tips. Q, then W, then E. Max Q, then E. There isn't much point in maxing W since your stun duration doesn't increase.

The basic Renekton combo is to E through creeps next to your opponent, W them, Q, and then E out. You can fit in autos here and there depending on if you have fury and how the opponent responds.

W does more damage when you consider the extra AA, the stun actually wins you trades and combos better with E at 2 than Q does.

You skill Q if you're against a ranged opponent, but I'd take W against any melee. If you're that worried about sustain before 3 as Renekton against a melee opponent, you're probably doing something wrong.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Zaodai posted:

W does more damage when you consider the extra AA, the stun actually wins you trades and combos better with E at 2 than Q does.

You skill Q if you're against a ranged opponent, but I'd take W against any melee. If you're that worried about sustain before 3 as Renekton against a melee opponent, you're probably doing something wrong.

I don't agree. Unless your opponent runs up to you and lets you W them chances are you're right next to his ranged creeps and likely end up losing the trade because of minion aggro, especially since Renekton's W animation doesn't execute all that fast and you aren't moving while Renekton does his little dance. With Q you can stay mobile. Plus, the whole pushing the wave so you don't hit level 2 second thing.

Also, here are also plenty of top laners who can poke at you from a range from level 1, even if they are melee, or will out-trade you regardless of your stun. Your Q heal more or less canceling their skill at level 1 is pretty good.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

I've been trying to run Jungle Malzahar, is this something worth pursuing? If so, how should I be playing him?

GoldenSeraph
Mar 8, 2006
reincarnation time!
The most satisfying thing just happened. Our team successfully invaded the enemy's blue, got a kill and I got to have the first blue.

Boy did their jungler kha'zix rage about that. I was playing Mid Gragas and was against a Morgana and wow did it make my laning phase so easy.

If you ever get the chance to and enough teammates are ballsy enough, invade the camps!

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

archduke.iago posted:

I've been trying to run Jungle Malzahar, is this something worth pursuing? If so, how should I be playing him?

Jungle Malzahar has always been something good players can do, but it's not a very safe pick. Max your W for really fast clears and abuse your voidlings to farm multiple camps at once. If you're really saucy you can do 3 simultaneously, but that takes a lot of work to get right and is not very reliable. Jungle Malzahar has probably the fastest clear in the game once you get rolling and get the multi-camp farming down since he can melt buffs insanely fast while his voidlings take the wraiths or something, so you can use that to get some nice income.

Aside from that, though, he's kind of hard to play right early(you have to trade aggro between yourself and your voidlings), extremely blue reliant early, and very privy to counter-jungling pre-6. His pre-6 ganks are pretty mediocre with no CC, also. Once you hit 6 you get kind of a better version of Warwick's ult, which is fantastic, but until then your ganks probably are just there to get them out of the lane, or to synergize with ignite for a low health pickoff.

There are people who run AD jungle Malz but it's really, really silly. Do AP and you will be a lot better off, overall. In team fights, your goal is to get your space AIDS and your W up in the fight and then go for their closest, highest priority champion. Use your best discretion. Obviously, don't flash ult their support, but don't flash into their whole team to catch out their marksman when you can immediately die. If their top laner is being an idiot, kill the top laner.

Jungle Malzahar is one of my personal pet builds, it's kind of gimmicky but it does work surprisingly well. You need to have good awareness and have a team that is capable of holding off on your weak early game. Once you get 6, however, you do have the option of counterjungling. Malzahar can be very scary if played right, but you are playing a squishy, highly technical and timing reliant jungler. I wouldn't recommend it for newbies, but if you think you are up to it, it's definitely worth a shot, IMO. In normals. Don't play it in ranked, your team will do some stupid poo poo and feed first blood and then they will complain that you aren't ganking but when you go to gank you will be completely useless.

As for items, by the way, go for the spectral wraith, sorc shoes, athenes, liandries, deathcap, and void staff. You probably don't need to be your team's APC, but the penetration is key to making Jungle Malz a scary motherfucker. By making your percent health damage, DOT, and ult basically hit for true damage while your voidlings are beating them down while red and liandries' is ticking is enough to make any gank completely lethal, in my opinion. The build is also really easy to do at first when your farm is less reliable and lategame when you get onto the void staff/deathcap you can just fly through the jungle and melt every camp to get a few hundred gold easily.

E: To clarify, AD Jungle Malz has a slightly easier time early on, but his clears are based off his CDR being capped, which makes his build path slightly more awkward. It's not bad, it's a matter of personal preference, but I enjoy AP Malz more because it makes his ult much more lethal if the enemy team has enough AOE to kill your voidlings, and it's a lot more chill because it requires less micro.

pog boyfriend fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 5, 2014

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Teach me how to support Janna. Apply shield when the ADC trades, ult to disengage bad fights. Those parts I get. What is her W even for, it seems like it doesn't really do much? And should I throw out tornadoes in lane? It seems like they're too easy to dodge to really be a harassing tool. Am I supposed to save the tornado for when my ADC gets caught to help them disengage? Is it worth building any AP or should I just do like coin/sightstone/chalice or something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
Janna is by far the hardest support to play well - she can often mess your own team up with her ult if you don't know what you're doing AND she isn't that strong in lane. The trade off is that she does have two of the best disengages in the game. The number 1 rule of thumb for beginning to play Janna is only use your ult to protect your AD carry in teamfights. It's the hardest skill in the game to use effectively IMO.

In lane, although Janna isn't the strongest support, what you can do is try to ascertain bush dominance. If they try to come into the bush just hit them with a tornado. It's also easier to harass with tornadoes from the bush, but do this in moderation. There really isn't much else you can do other than drop a shield at the right time, which is also really hard to do in solo queue.

One of the reasons Janna isn't that good right now in lane is because her tornado isn't going to stop Annie, Thresh, or Leona (the top tier supports right now) from getting to you or your carry. However, if they do engage, their movement patterns will become very predictable for just a moment, and if you play it smart you should be able to land a tornado that hits both of them and either turn the fight in your favor or at least neutralize it.

Janna does scale pretty decently with AP (especially her ult!), but yes you should start with Coin/Sightstone/Boots 2 (just like every support). After that though, you can look to go straight deathcap if you're a real man :getin:.

Fair warning though, like I said Janna is probably the hardest support to play well, also she's been nerfed countless times, and in my opinion she doesn't feel that rewarding. Lulu is pretty much Janna 2.0, her ult is always useful, her q harass is much easier to land, and instead of a clickable slow she gets a hard CC in her polymorph. I recommend trying her out if you haven't already.

• Locked thread