Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

Y'all have fun in the dust! Not making it out this year, but I'm working on stuff for my regional in October already.

Gonna be delicious...

Which regional? I go to the Ga. regional every year. Hoping to make it to the big burn in a few years when I'm done with grad school. So jealous of all of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
I will be at the new Ohio burn on October 2-5th if anyone is interested! I will be camping with the Hillbilly Hollow camp if anyone is coming! Stop by and ask for Skittles!

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

minato posted:

Really? The "circling of the wagons" of RVs is pretty common in big camps, it helps prevent randoms from wandering through. Opulent Temple in particular had bad experiences with people nicking things like bikes or generators(!), or just wandering over and using the shower structures. Not to mention the RV-wall shields the camp from the wind and the view of the cops who might be looking for illicit drug use. The big camps also tend to have a bracelet or necklace which identifies a person as a member of the camp so they can identify strangers. OT gets a bit nervous about non-members backstage, because those people often bring drugs and do them out in the open, and that's an invitation to get the whole camp searched. But in all my years I've never actually seen a confrontation.

Edit: I guess you mean this article: http://recode.net/2014/08/29/k-street-black-rock-burning-mans-billionaires-row/ I think it's terrible journalism. They went over there to "test the hospitality", which already suggests the writer doesn't know what they're on about - no-one's obligated to give you anything at Burning Man. And they didn't even know for sure if the camp they went to was turnkey. If someone stood around outside my camp and started taking notes and filming it, I'd probably tell them to gently caress off too.

I can understand an operation like OT wanting to keep a secure perimeter around their backstage area since they're a) handling expensive sound equipment b) giving back to the festival by putting on great music acts and want security/safety for their performers, and c) OT is one of the premier and most well known camps on the playa (known for handing expensive gear and hosting famous DJs!).

Despite the fact that these "turnkey" camps might cater to an exclusive and super wealthy clientele they are still playa camps in my opinion. No one really has the "right" to enter someone else's camp uninvited but I see no foul in trying to go out and "meet the neighbors" so to speak. Harassing a camp is another no-no but I don't think most burners have that kind of intention (also I don't see what the 6 or so person group did in that article as harassment, just genuine curiosity).

Even in the free for all camping areas I run across a lot of people who come in an RV, build a little camp, and mostly just keep to themselves or meet one or two other friends during the week and that is a completely valid way to experience your week at Burning Man. I'm not going to judge so and so's experience on the playa as "valid" and so and so #2's experience as "not valid", but even the free for allers who are there just for themselves are still completely approachable, friendly, kind, and some even like to give things out and attract some company over. In spite of being there for their own agenda these free for allers still embrace the principals of the festival. They might "close themselves off" by being a loner who's camp makes no pretense about being anything more than a place they sleep at night but they're not actively cordoning off their camps and dispatching security anytime someone gets "too close" to their spot.

It shouldn't be something I concern myself with too much because Burning Man isn't "my" festival any more than it is some wealthy person's festival. It's something we all share and make together. It's building a city in the desert, and as the festival goes on, its city starts to develop the same conventions and issues as any real city would (and for better or worse I think that aspect is neat). But nonetheless it is something I wonder about since one of the things that makes BM so unique is that it's not just another music camping festival, it's a cultural experiment in the desert with tons of art FEATURING some music, but as the cultural cache of the festival grows more and more I feel it's an event that risks becoming just another music camping festival (abet in an inconvenient place). Burning Man will never feature a VIP section like most music festivals, but what are turnkey camps but an impromptu VIP section? Burning Man will never demand that people share and interact with each other, but what does a festival that's known for openness and inclusiveness among participants become when you have paid security staff approach and accost you for wanting to go over to your neighbor's camp (as well as neighbors who will get fuming mad at you for just coming over)?

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 1, 2014

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Heh, "exclusive VIP section" reminds me of the High Bar from a few years ago. It was a regular bar handing out booze, but the bar itself was 10 feet high. You had to wear stilts to access it, and many people did!

QuantumDeep
Dec 15, 2005

Dude! I'm about to bust a mad slizzice in ya insides!
This was my first burn, and holy crap! It was like living in a dream world. Highlights included:

- Dancing like I'd never danced in my life and not caring if people thought I was crazy.
- Going to the trash fence Thursday morning to watch sunrise and the Embrace burn and meeting a group of people grilling sausages and sharing cigars with them.
- Delivering mail for the post office and seeing the looks on people faces when they got a letter from the default world. One woman said I'd restored her faith in humanity because she couldn't believe that a bunch of volunteers could get a letter to her from her mom in Puerto Rico.
- Dancing on the treehouse art car from right after the man fell until it parked in its camp at around 7am.

I'd waited years to go to burning man and prepped for months, and it was so worth it. I want to take everyone I know now. This was my first, but certainly not my last.

QuantumDeep fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 2, 2014

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Return crew reporting in :slick:
Exodus was the best I've seen in my 7 years (I'm now apparently a veteran, sup), left our camp at 9am today (Monday), hit the highway at 10, was on I-80 before noon, and home in 30 minutes. loving awesome, specially since last year we spent 6 hours in Exodus just pulsing.
Anyway, great loving burn. Last year was great, this one too, for the same reason: I love my camp. Stronger friendships, many shared memories and a poo poo load of fun.
My favorite part of this burn: my wife, who showed sides of her she'd only kept to myself like being ridiculously goofy and hilarious, and making me fall in love with her all over again.

)'(

PS: The GOON MEET was loving awesome. 5 (or more??) showed up on Friday, and someone was there on Sat asking for me when I was unavailable. The picture of the BrewSki will be posted as soon as available.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Some nice pics from this year: http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2014/09/burning-man-2014/100802/

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

El Spamo posted:

Hard year this year, so I'm counting it a victory to even make it at all. No fancy costumes, but I've got my fiddle so all is well. Stop by the Dusty Swan, 415 and A and drink whiskey to irish tunes!

Sven sends his regards. ;)

QuantumDeep
Dec 15, 2005

El Spamo posted:

Hard year this year, so I'm counting it a victory to even make it at all. No fancy costumes, but I've got my fiddle so all is well. Stop by the Dusty Swan, 415 and A and drink whiskey to irish tunes!

I was camped at the Hookah Lounge and came by there all the time. I loved the Dusty Swan, and was saddened to hear that it won't be returning next year, but I get how much work it is to set up something like that. If you are who I think you are, we had a pretty good conversation about getting flogged at Totem Wolf's Pirate Bar followed by you taking me there to receive said flogging. Thanks for all you guys did to bring that bar to the playa.

QuantumDeep fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 2, 2014

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

LoveMeDead posted:

Which regional? I go to the Ga. regional every year. Hoping to make it to the big burn in a few years when I'm done with grad school. So jealous of all of you.

Hearths of Phyre in Iowa. Little bit of a different vibe weather wise, but should be a blast.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

LoveMeDead posted:

Alchemy loving owns, I love Cherokee Farms.

Glad it's early October this year so the weather should be really nice.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
God drat that was insane... can't wait for next year. Many lessons learned. Many experiences.

I recorded my two DJ sets. One got cut short. They are online here:

https://soundcloud.com/jonmitz/sets/burning-man-2014

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
Can't wait to see everyone's pictures! I live through you..at least until next year :D

Anyone bring back some great pins?

QuantumDeep
Dec 15, 2005

goodness posted:

Can't wait to see everyone's pictures! I live through you..at least until next year :D

Anyone bring back some great pins?

Got this from a girl outside the port-a-potties after giving her a wet wipe:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

QuantumDeep fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 2, 2014

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

QuantumDeep posted:

Got this from a girl outside the port-a-potties after giving her a wet wipe:

One of these days Daft Punk actually should play the trash fence at dawn only to have like 5 virgins show up.

All I can say about my first experience as of this moment is wow, just wow.

Mandaryn
Sep 4, 2004

COCK SNAKE!

IceLicker posted:

One of these days Daft Punk actually should play the trash fence at dawn only to have like 5 virgins show up.

Just showed this to my husband "I'm surprised that no one has recreated the helmets and put on a fake show there." Me, "WE SHOULD DO THIS! CAN WE DO THIS?"

I think I just figured out what I want to do for next year. :D

Also: Best burn yet for me. It was my 4th burn, but the first one going on my own. I was lovingly welcomed into the Black Rock Roller Disco and I think I may have found my forever camp.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Pictures! https://www.flickr.com/photos/nicoyogui/sets/72157646768542468/show/
Some of my favorites:
Yogis

Color day - BLUE!

The Man at night

The Temple of Grace

BeerYoga at HomeBrauHaus (wife is the teacher, over 90 people showed up to the event!)

Burn night!

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

QuantumDeep posted:

I was camped at the Hookah Lounge and came by there all the time. I loved the Dusty Swan, and was saddened to hear that it won't be returning next year, but I get how much work it is to set up something like that. If you are who I think you are, we had a pretty good conversation about getting flogged at Totem Wolf's Pirate Bar followed by you taking me there to receive said flogging. Thanks for all you guys did to bring that bar to the playa.

Yup, that's me! Man, and the Hookah Lounge was just the perfect spot to unwind in if the pub got a little too loud or I just needed a soft chair for a few. That was a good night, I think Totem Wolf broke a shoehorn on us. :)

The Dusty Swan will return with a different name. PolyParadise will be hosting the pub by providing a parent camp and space and one of the Swan's regulars from over there will be organizing and setting it up. Can't have a burn without a cozy Irish pub to tuck into during a sandstorm.

kunoichi
Oct 26, 2005

QuantumDeep posted:

I was camped at the Hookah Lounge......

What's up Hookah Lounge campmate!

This burn was a hard one for me, with the exception of a fun goon meet and seeing some old friends. I didn't do much and kept beating myself up for it. However the playa provides you with exactly what you need, not necessarily what you want, and I had some personal experiences that, while not necessary fun, helped me grow in a lot of ways. Another good memory was hanging out at Brain Freeze with the pyrotechnic guys and them telling us their stories about the weird things that happen at the temple when they are setting up to burn it. Odd coincidences, ghosts, etc.

Looking forward to the Florida regional next!

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011

slogsdon posted:

Alchemy loving owns, I love Cherokee Farms.

Glad it's early October this year so the weather should be really nice.

We should have a mini-goon meet at Alchemy. :) I'm part of a theme camp that has grown from 6 people last year to 21 this year. It's going to be interesting.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Did we get a goon meat pic? I vaguely recall taking one but I was so drunk that could just be the desert playing tricks on my mind

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Well, it took another 36 or so hours but I made it back home. Just a few quick notes before I can get a proper post in.

- I was in the group on gate road from midnight Sunday to 10pm Monday. It stopped moving around 6AM, people started partying and drinking all around by 8, if that. We made the most of it, although some people took some hilarious mud face plants.
- Art cars are amazing, especially those with a bar on them.
- There is no possible way to do everything you want to, just pick like 2 things a day because you will find so much else.
- Made it to the Goon Meet, enjoyed some mighty fine cider and homebrew. And you guys were OK... I guess.
- ID on the cup is the way to go!
- Being with a theme camp (BRCU) was pretty helpful. Not having to worry about a hot meal was good, even if the timing was infrequent.

I'll of course be at another Burning Man in the future. I'll try to get some photos and stories up here at some point too! I hope one of you got a picture when we drank those beers off the ski or whatever it was...

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

A video thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ze1duv8iqE

mitztronic posted:

Did we get a goon meat pic?

We did, but I realized that it wasn't with one of my cameras. So now, we wait for one of my campmates to post.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

LoveMeDead posted:

We should have a mini-goon meet at Alchemy. :) I'm part of a theme camp that has grown from 6 people last year to 21 this year. It's going to be interesting.

I'm definitely down. Which theme camp is it?

QuantumDeep
Dec 15, 2005

I actually camped next to the guy who made that video (Dr. Yes), and he was a really super awesome guy who gave me the best advice ever: Say yes to everything. Made my first burn so much more special (and got me into a little bit of trouble, but hey, Burning Man :) ).

QuantumDeep fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 3, 2014

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011

slogsdon posted:

I'm definitely down. Which theme camp is it?

Bizzarnival, we have the mustache ride.

Now I just have to figure out how to explain that someone is stopping by "from the internet". :)

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

If you go to the airport at 6 or 7am and put your name on a list you can wait around for a generous pilot to take you up for a scenic ride. They were offering ultralight flights too, but EVERYONE said they were terrifying. I would have done one if they hadn;t been grounded that day.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

LoveMeDead posted:

Bizzarnival, we have the mustache ride.

Now I just have to figure out how to explain that someone is stopping by "from the internet". :)

Just tell them I'm from Science. I know those guys well enough that I may as well be.

E: I vaguely recognize both your camp name and the existence of a mustache ride.

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011

slogsdon posted:

Just tell them I'm from Science. I know those guys well enough that I may as well be.

E: I vaguely recognize both your camp name and the existence of a mustache ride.

Preliminary placement map is out and we are right next to Science. Four more weeks!

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007
So working with GPE was kinda rad. While I didn't find any hippies stowed away during my gate shifts my very first perimeter shift during the storm on Monday was kinda interesting.

killendino_001
Jul 7, 2006
We ended up finding a ticket in Montana for our third crew-member. We made it to the playa on Tuesday and camped around 3:30 somewhere.

What an awesome experience! I don't think as a virgin, you could ever really be ready for what it's like to be out there. the dust was something I prepared for, but was not prepared for, if that makes any sense. I am wondering if the rain early in the week even kept the dust levels down. It was amazing to be walking on the playa, seeing clear as day, and within moments not being able to see more than 3-4 feet in front of me. Then, a few moments later, it was perfectly clear again.

I was struck by the coolness of all the people around our camp. We had ready help when setting up and returned the favor by walking drinks around to our neighborhood. We were rewarded in turn by having tons of people come hang out at our camp and socialize during the day, and those same people went out with us at night to party. I didn't meet a single jerk there, out of dozens of people I chatted up! I met people from all around the world.

I don't think I would do it quite the same way again. I think next time I would like to hook up with a locally-based theme camp and head out there with a larger group. I want to be part of something big next time. I would LOVE to tend bar for a few shifts in a central location and just socialize with burners. Most everyone seemed so drat interesting!

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

cheers

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
I had one of those "playa provides" moments when I was actually returning from Burning Man to Los Angeles on Monday night. In my drunken stupor on a random adventure one afternoon, I was biking past a table with rubber stampers and a sign that said "magic wands." Naturally, I couldn't pass this up so I plastered myself with stamps and grabbed a "magic wand." The wand in reality was just a paint stirrer with some neat little designs and patterns on it but none the less, I threw it in my daypack and carried on my way. Well, when I finally arrived back in LA, where I was staying with my friend, I needed a key to get into the gated area of his apartment complex. Being 1am, there was no one around but we had arranged for me to call him when I arrived so that he could open the gate up to let me in. Well, I called him 4 or 5 times but clearly, he left his phone on vibrate or it was out of battery. So there I was, at 1am after driving 14 hours and being up for over 36 straight standing outside of this locked gate with all my stuff and all I wanted to do was sleep. So, I started looking around for something that I could use to pry between the door and the frame to pop the lock and get in. Well, When I opened my backpack, that stupid magic wand that I thought about throwing out multiple times was the perfect size and shape to get the job done. After a little prying and jiggling, I managed to get the door open and was finally able to get to his apartment. Turns out, even after we had a conversation 2 hours before about keeping the phone on, that he had it on vibrate and never heard my calls. I guess everything does happen for a reason out there.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Please add to OP:

Jun 15, 2003

Delicious soda

Alfajor posted:

Please add to OP:

Along those lines: We (or I, on behalf of the Las Vegas group behind that project/boom) would appreciate all the sweet footage of the boom you may have! Every angle, every "OH gently caress!" We would like to compile them into a lovely video scrapbook

edit: I'd also love to hear your stories about the boom. Apparently it was powerful and hot enough to be felt past the esplanade and bright enough to make solar lights turn off throughout the city. A couple of our pyro team members got 2nd degree burns

486 fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 5, 2014

QuantumDeep
Dec 15, 2005

486 posted:

Along those lines: We (or I, on behalf of the Las Vegas group behind that project/boom) would appreciate all the sweet footage of the boom you may have! Every angle, every "OH gently caress!" We would like to compile them into a lovely video scrapbook

edit: I'd also love to hear your stories about the boom. Apparently it was powerful and hot enough to be felt past the esplanade and bright enough to make solar lights turn off throughout the city. A couple of our pyro team members got 2nd degree burns

I was in a bar at 4:15 and A, and all of a sudden we felt this blast of air, and we were all like "What the gently caress?!?!", so a bunch of people went outside and eventually came back in and told us what had happened. At first we thought it was some group with a giant air cannon nearby, until we realized that everyone in the area had felt it, and then the story started to spread. Well done, and thank you for all the work you guys did for all the burns. They were all truly spectacular :)

As a sidenote, how are those team members with the second degree burns doing now?

Jun 15, 2003

Delicious soda

QuantumDeep posted:

As a sidenote, how are those team members with the second degree burns doing now?

Healing nicely and grinning like idiots. The burns were mainly on their arms. They knew they should have worn long sleeves, but safety third, right?

I was working the perimeter directly behind BORING in that gif. When you work a burn perimeter, you're not supposed to look back at the project at all, just watch the crowd. Of course we all peeked when we felt the heat, but seeing everyone's faces during the blast was hilarious and quite rewarding!

edit: My favorite video so far: http://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152371826013358&fref=nf
The creator of LOVE had no idea what was coming :flame:

486 fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Sep 5, 2014

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's

Alfajor posted:

Please add to OP:

drat. I didn't even know that happened. What day was this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jun 15, 2003

Delicious soda

OniKun posted:

drat. I didn't even know that happened. What day was this?

A little after 9pm on Thursday, around 4:30 and 1000 feet from the man.

• Locked thread