Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let's research Carrier Fighter since our subs keep getting killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Machine guns! More Dakka= More Better. It's science!

E: wrong vote I guess. Uh, south and transports strike fast and hard. Get a beachhead.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 19, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Warships. Because it's the most sensible choice when we have no Oil!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Research big Battleships II! Our massive artillery shall be the envy of the world as our invincible riflemen strike South. Mostly because there's no oil East.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Research Battleships II because I want to captain the Yamato already goddamnit

Build warships so I can captain the Yamato and blow poo poo up good in the South!

(Also it looks like the East has practically nothing, resource-wise, and is mostly empty land)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Tomn posted:

(Also it looks like the East has practically nothing, resource-wise, and is mostly empty land)

Really, I'm happiest with whatever plan gives us the prettiest borders.

Given that we're having issues making enough oil for our armor, will a navy just utterly guzzle it or is it reasonable?

Hutter
Feb 16, 2011

It's been giving me nightmares.
Warships!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Research CARRIER FIGHTERS and make a navy to attack the richest resource zone. Wherever that is.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Head South with your warships.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Warships first but I think an early beachhead with some MGs and AT guns should be made in advance while waiting for the main transport fleet to be ready.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Warships and research infantry guns. If lines get static you can always use those guns to shell enemies.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

alex314 posted:

Warships and research infantry guns. If lines get static you can always use those guns to shell enemies.

The AI just loooves infantry guns. I think they do it because it fulfills the artillery percentage of their offensive units.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
South with Warships.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

How do you add leaders to your HQ? I think I've figured most of the game menus, but that one escapes me.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

alex314 posted:

How do you add leaders to your HQ? I think I've figured most of the game menus, but that one escapes me.

I think you have to be playing a "New Dawn" game for starters. I was confused when I kept making regular random games and there didn't appear to be any of the officers.

Turos Kensei
Dec 13, 2009
I endorse A balanced array of Infantry Upgrades, a strong back bone shall only serve to strengthen Glorious Nippon! Looking forward to the eventual founding of the, "Trust Talent Agency" unit. We gotta do something with all those disgraced and retired idols!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Tank Destroyers
South
Warships

Groly
Nov 4, 2009
Go South; why add another border when you can sweep an entire island?

And research Fighters and Torpedo Bombers. We shall rule the waves from the skies! Our planes will find and sink their ships quickly, no matter where they appear.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Veloxyll gets his first promotion.

We begin to smash the pocket. The enemy has not fortified the gap either, so, they have little chance of stopping this advance now.

Production is switched to give us a navy.

I then upgrade a couple of key designs.

Then I get the fighters to fit on our new carriers.

Now it is time to create a invasion force. General Ratoslov shall command one unit.

I pick my landing zone, their capital has the best terrain and is close to most of their factories and raw material areas.

Another turn, and five artillery batteries don't make it to the front.

The Sultinate are deploying tank destroyers as well now.

We throw our forces forwards, and the enemy once more scatter before our brave soldiers.

We make our advances, but it is slow with the small front.

Reinforcements are seen moving across the sea.

Kaboom. Torpedoes away!

Our first carrier is ready.

Aaaand we have have our first Grey Hunter moment! Guess who forgot to check the city of production and just built an expensive carrier in a landlocked sea......

We push forwards once more, space and rapid advances are within our reach.

On my border sweep I notice the Gangzou Fiefdom has moved tanks up to the border. This is a worrying development, and could be a prelude to an attack.

I send some tanks to General Sniper. He will be able to hold out against any attacks, and I shall begin to strengthen this area.

I also build a shipyard near Tokyo and order it to build a carrier.

Our second, and first useful, carrier is ready.

She sets sail to scout out the landing zone.

We make a small advance up in the north. The enemy are well dug in, and I don't have the fuel to really hammer them.

I send more troops to the south. The Feifdom is really building up there now.

I would kill everyone for more fuel.

The Sultinate concentrate their weakened forces in the north and I hit them with what I have available. I take heavy losses in tanks to the AT-Guns, but I do make some progress.

This is a lot of death for a one hex advance.

The Fiefdom are REALLY massing down south.

The Sultinate know their capital is the best place to land troops, and are defending it to the hilt.

So, Do we continue to build up for the continued war against the Sultinate, or attack the Feifdom?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Keep pressing the Sultanate on our continent, but yeah it's time to shift and prepare for a Guangzhou attack. Use our navy to keep the Sultanate from getting any funny ideas.

And don't worry! I'm sure that carrier will at least ensure that we have complete strategic mobility over that inland sea!

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
It looks like the Fiefdom is asking to be pushed into the sea. Ensure stability of the Sultanate front with sea superiority.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Continue the war, but hold off the naval invasion. The Feifdom is going to attack, we'll need to hold them off until we finish the Sultanate on this side of the ocean first. Use our carriers and submarine force to harass the Sultanate.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Grey Hunter posted:

Aaaand we have have our first Grey Hunter moment! Guess who forgot to check the city of production and just built an expensive carrier in a landlocked sea......

Keep it as an extravagant display of our wealth. :japan:

We'd better attack the Fiefdom before they take the initiative. The invasion of the Southern Sultanate needs to wait. Start the war on our own terms. BANZAI!

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Tomn posted:

Keep pressing the Sultanate on our continent, but yeah it's time to shift and prepare for a Guangzhou attack. Use our navy to keep the Sultanate from getting any funny ideas.

This seems like a good idea.

And hey, maybe that carrier will be useful in the early stages of war against the not-French!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Reinforce the Feifdom Border enough to stop/stall any attack long enough to get more forces in there, but concentrate on the Sultanate for as long as we can. The more damage we deal them, the more we'll be able to concentrate on the stronger foe of the Feifdom when they finally attack.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Your update already contains your answer

Kill whoever has the most easily conquerable oil

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

My Emperor, the Kawaii Commandotroepen stand ever vigilant. In light of the most recent intelligence, it is my belief that we ought to prioritize land warfare on our continent and use our navy to contain the Sultinate. Launching an amphibious invasion seems premature at this time when we suspect honorless dogs are about to attack our Southern front.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Buy carrier figters for our frst carrier

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
"It's time to dig in boys! The Fiefdom has long been jealous of our superior animated films and exotic culture. They seem to want a bloody nose down south, so let's give it to 'em."

Prepare for the inevitable assault from our neighbors and focus on containing the Sultinate and growing our fuel reserves.
We're going to have to rely on men with hearts of repeatedly folded steel to hold the line until our oil gets sorted. Not being able to smash hard and fast when we need to is going to hurt our national pride.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
That land bound carrier is basically a city defense now... They can't capture the city if it has a unit sitting on it right? Or does that just scuttle ships?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Consolidate and Fortify the Fiefdom border. Concentrate on forcing the Sultinate into the sea. Delay the naval invasion.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Can you get a decent navy on southern front? If yes then take Binzhou in lighting strike and watch fiefdom forces starve! Tora, Tora, Tora!!!

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

If we take the isthmus from Guangzhou, I think Grey can build a port on it to get the inland carrier open sea access.

Also, this thread inspired me to try out People's Tactics (the precursor to this game). It's free, it's 28 MB, and it's pretty fun. Definitely recommended to people interested in ATG, though the interface, as you might expect, is a bit clunky.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Keep attacking Sultinate and build some cheap troops and place them to the Fief border.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Shift preparations for the naval invasion from the Sultinate to cutting off the Gungzhao spearhead. At least you don't need oil to defend :ohdear:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

BTW. I hereby title that one carrier, based on Grey's map, The Lonely Snake Queen. Unless its actually trapped in the Wine Red Sea, in which case. I dunno.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
New Tanks! A red letter day indeed. :toot:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

If you put a naval factory down on the Clifsthmus, could you stage the carrier through the factory to get it into the open sea? The same way you can stage ships through towns?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Grraaah! The Rat Pack shall never give in against the enemies of Pacom! Take that trench! Fire on that position! CRUSH THEM WITH YOUR FIGHTING SPIRIT, MEN! Strike! Strike! Strike!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Keep the navy we have right now for defense, maybe build some more submarines. Move the two carriers to a defensive posture to support our southern front. The submarines can defend against the amphibious efforts of the Sultanate, not that those were very efficient even when they got on land.

Redeploy the vast bulk of our investments to the southern front. Prioritize units that don't drink oil, except for anti-tank units as we don't have many of those coming back from the north soon. See if some rapid fortifications can be put up. Try to accelerate the end of the northern front, using Leperfish in specific, and using tanks in general if necessary even if it costs us some of them, we have too many tanks to use effectively so trading off a few while costly would probably be worth it to shave off some time on when we can reinforce the south.
This will remain a continental war for the foreseeable future.
Research Defensive Techs, we must prevent an overrun (or if it really is defensible make it a costlier and more effective defense) till we can gather our forces and give the Fiefdom what for.

And I'll take an officer if there's one available at some point.

To Summarize
1. Southern Fortifications
2. Southern AT
3. Southern Infantry
4. Accelerate Northern Campaign using Leperfish, and be willing, if necessary, to sacrifice tanks for time, to a light to moderate degree, over our ability to fuel.
5. Defensive Naval Posture (Less Investment, Renewed Prioritization of Submarines, Carriers support southern land border)
6. Research Defensive Techs

Swap priority 1 with 2, if AT on the defensive consumes very little oil or is more useful on the defensive against a tank-heavy force than fortifications.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 25, 2014

• Locked thread