Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

Rush > The Beatles. Please discuss

The Beatles never made an album dedicated to "the genius of Ayn Rand."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

radiatinglines posted:

George is cool but John had the best solo stuff by far IMO

Fun fact: the slide guitar on for you blue is played by John with a shotgun shell

What makes you think he had the best solo stuff overall? Harrison's All Thing Must Pass has to be the best solo album of the 4 and just a wonderful record altogether. McCartney was pretty regularly good, with a few standout albums. I'd give John Plastic Ono Band and a bunch of singles. For every good song he had on Double Fantasy there was a Yoko one right afterwards to drag down the whole thing.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

Pirate Jet posted:

The Beatles never made an album dedicated to "the genius of Ayn Rand."

yep, glad that's over.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
the ayn rand connection is overstated imo it's not like their lyrics are good when they're not about objectivism. rush is for blue collar people who abuse methamphetamines and dudes who have been playing dungeons and dragons since the 70s or could be instantly transported back in time to a 70s d&d game and no one would notice.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I think everyone needs to calm down and listen to Band on the Run

But really the Stones when Jimmy Miller produced them were way better anyway

Shark Sandwich fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 9, 2015

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
John foisted the fartistry of Yoko Ono on the world, and that erases all the goodwill any song of his could have ever produced

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
His favorite hobby while in the Beatles was beating his wife and he used sarcasm and flavor-of-the-month social causes to cover for his complete lack of songwriting ability. Except for Plastic Ono Band which worked because he was just bitching about his childhood instead of trying to make some big statement or whatever

Based on that documentary Martin Scorsese did George Harrison was also an abusive junkie. He just had the good sense to keep his mouth shut. For all the poo poo he gets Paul was probably the least hosed up member of the band. Dude just wanted to go on tour with his wife and smoke a fuckton of weed.

Shark Sandwich fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 9, 2015

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
complete lack of songwriting ability of jonathan lennon

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Pet Sounds was a perfect album but The 'Boys couldn't follow it up without Brian's brain blowing up so they get overlooked.

Is Elvis any good?

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

NienNunb posted:

Pet Sounds was a perfect album but The 'Boys couldn't follow it up without Brian's brain blowing up so they get overlooked.

Is Elvis any good?

his first 3 albums were good but his 80s stuff is terrible and he called james brown a "jive rear end n*ger"

the mtv unplugged performance is good

i always thought he was kinda like bruce springsteen, but for fags

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

lol

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What makes you think he had the best solo stuff overall? Harrison's All Thing Must Pass has to be the best solo album of the 4 and just a wonderful record altogether. McCartney was pretty regularly good, with a few standout albums. I'd give John Plastic Ono Band and a bunch of singles. For every good song he had on Double Fantasy there was a Yoko one right afterwards to drag down the whole thing.

I think mind games, imagine, and plastic ono band are all really good

but mostly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZVsLpAr9C8

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
i like the music video for "Imagine" where john lennon sings about communism while he's in his huge fuckin mansion playing an $80,000 grand piano, and the whole time his wife looks real fuckin bored

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

"imagine no possessions" lmao

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

imagine a world w/out the beatles its easy if you try because they're literal trash compared to almost anyone else

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

also its a world without insufferable beatles fans

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

the beatles were pretty good but yeah their fans are annoying

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Imagine is the name of the whole album, not just that song btw

But yeah that song is pretty good and Lennon and Yoko didn't take themselves as seriously as y'all seem to. They just figured they should say things like that because they were in a position to reach a lot of people, and why not?

Idk why people have to get so bitter because he had nice poo poo

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

radiatinglines posted:

Imagine is the name of the whole album, not just that song btw

But yeah that song is pretty good and Lennon and Yoko didn't take themselves as seriously as y'all seem to

no poo poo, but i was obviously talking about the song

e: song is good but the video is laughably hypocritical

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
actually paul macklemore is really good

HarlanHell
Nov 16, 2012

Nevermind that shit here comes Mingo!
Best was the best Beatle.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

how to create an egalitarian society with no possessions:

step one: give away all your poo poo

step two:

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

guys wouldn't it be cool if our money and possessions didnt matter and we could just share everythng and lvoe everyone and have peace

*hoards wealth, beats wife and abandons child*

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
he's more of an ideas guy

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

radiatinglines posted:

Trolling is better when you try to be funny when you're doing it tho

No, it's pretty funny to see how angry you get when people disagree with your musical taste.

HarlanHell posted:

Best was the best Beatle.
Mark David Chapman was the best Beatle

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

fans of catcher in the rye are way worse than beatles fans imo

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

HollisBrown posted:

No, it's pretty funny to see how angry you get when people disagree with your musical taste.

Is that what's happening?

Smoremaster posted:

fans of catcher in the rye are way worse than beatles fans imo

Tool fans are pretty bad

Autumn Angel
Jan 18, 2014

I don't *get* Tool, or really any kind of psychedelic rock band.
There I said it

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Autumn Angel posted:

I don't *get* Tool, or really any kind of psychedelic rock band.
There I said it

do you do drugs? if not, do some

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

the pretty things were a decent psychedelic band, their album S.F. Sorrow is pretty good

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

radiatinglines posted:

Tool fans are pretty bad

Beatles fans have stood the test of time unlike Tool and Radiohead, obvious inferior bands with inferior fans dwindling in numbers now that their idols have stopped making music for the most part and theyre growing up. Beatles fans are always there in ample numbers though.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Harrison's All Thing Must Pass has to be the best solo album of the 4 and just a wonderful record altogether.

for. sure. :hfive:

not many people realize this for some reason. i guess cause harrison is probably like, the least popular or talked about beatle. maybe thats not true, but it really seems like it is. ringo gets more attention just cause, well, he's ringo and the drummer. plus him having that funny and easy to remember name and his goofy look and voice and personality doesnt hurt his popularity and awareness of him. plus, regarding george himself -- how many average people likely remember the name of the other beatles guitarist besides lennon? probably not a lot. so yeah im pretty sure george is the least thought about beatle these days among the average folk.

anyway yeah i totally agree with you, All Things Must Pass is the best solo beatle effort for sure. and a fantastic album in and of itself -- love that album. I wish more people were aware of it/had heard it.

also i have it on vinyl and it's a super cool triple-lp mini box set. iirc it comes with a big rear end dope as gently caress poster of the hobo-george-sitting-on-a-chair-in-the=park cover art without the words overlaid on it. very, very cool poster.

edit: poo poo actually I think the poster is this image, not the cover art. that or it's reversable and has both. but i dont think so, I think it's just this which is loving awesome and ominous:

Damo fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 10, 2015

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

all things must pass has more cheesy songs like apple scruffs than really good ones, mostly but not entirely ruined by phil spector putting obnoxious echo on everything

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
yea, ill give you that. im not a big fan of the overall production sound on most of the record, either

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

george harrison is still cool though because he never really gave a gently caress and spent his life meditating and funding comedy movies

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
he also got into playing the ukulele hardcore later in his life, before the time that hipsters, internet gently caress faces, and faggy musicians ruined them for the rest of us

an average george harrison day later in his life was probably meditating under a tree on his giant property nearby his giant mansion and playing and writing on his ukulele between meditation seshes.

we he got bored with the uke or meditating he probably just had a nice cup of tea and cake, and read a book or something. then he'd go inside and produce movies for a while, and chat with various members of monty python on the phone. then hed retire for the evening with a fat J followed by some cognac by the fire, capped with his nightly sloppy blowjob before falling asleep on his giant unbelievably comfortable, warm featherbed.

pretty dope life

Damo fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 10, 2015

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Damo posted:

he also got into playing the ukulele hardcore later in his life, before the time that hipsters, internet gently caress faces, and faggy musicians ruined them for the rest of us

George Harrison will always be OK in my book for helping to popularize Indian classical music in America. Without George Harrison we would never of had Mahavishnu Orchestra.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
yeah for sure. totally forgot to mention that. he was way into indian music/instruments as well. good call

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

the beatles probably would have reunited in the 80s, but it would have been the biggest letdown of the century

like, imagine a beatles album entirely full of cheesy 80s synth and superproduction. it would have bombed so hard. just imagine the beatles reuniting at live aid 85 or something in their mid 40s playing tracks from their early 60s catalogue because everything they made in the studio after was too complex to perform live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
also incidentally george harrison indian stuff talk reminds me of his Concert For Bangladesh, a very cool record/show.

and that reminds me of the Concert For George, a year after he died :smith:

:rip: George

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9Dr1anRP9w

Damo fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 10, 2015

• Locked thread