Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

http://elections.virginia.gov/WebDocs/VotingEquipReport/WINVote-final.pdf
Virginia detected weird errors on some of their voting machines, instituted a security review and found out that they're bad
* ad-hoc wifi using WEP with the password "abcde"
* appear to be running Windows XP Embedded 2002 with no service packs or updates, supposedly vulnerable to things patched in 2004
* administrator account password is "admin"
* rdp enabled, admin shares enabled
* vote database is MS Access, unencrypted, with an open-password of "shoup" (cracked in 10 seconds)
* tries to protect votes from compromise during voting process, but has no protection to stop modification of vote database

computerized voting is teh future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
how much do you think someone charged to slap together an app backended by access running on xp

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bhodi posted:

how much do you think someone charged to slap together an app backended by access running on xp

several million

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

http://pastebin.com/GrV3uYh5
nachash's 2600 article on running a tor hidden service

quote:

You will only connect to your production box via a hidden service. It's
a good idea to get into that habit early. The only time deviating from
this pattern is acceptable is when you have to upgrade tor, at which
time you'll want to have a script ready that drops your firewall rules
and unbinds ssh from localhost just long enough for you to login
, do the
upgrade, re-apply the firewall rules and bind ssh to localhost again.

lol are u kidding me

you can correlate public ip / tor HS ssh fingerprints using shodan so its a fair bet there's a govt database like gchq's flyingpig that allows historical search of the same thing + would reveal your servers location if you did this

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
unless part of his script regenerates the keys but i dont give nachash this much credit

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

anthonypants posted:

why does it have to be telnet and not like, netcat or wget or something

no idea for wget, but netcat often fails on HTTP servers that are strict about line terminations -- telnet inserts the required \r\n, but netcat tends to just \n, which is only valid on really lenient web servers/parsers.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Virginia detected weird errors on some of their voting machines, instituted a security review and found out that they're bad
* appear to be running Windows XP Embedded 2002 with no service packs or updates, supposedly vulnerable to things patched in 2004
* vote database is MS Access, unencrypted, with an open-password of "shoup" (cracked in 10 seconds)
* tries to protect votes from compromise during voting process, but has no protection to stop modification of vote database

shoup da woop

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

could you run two copies of tor, and connect with one in order to upgrade the other?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

* vote database is MS Access

this is the best

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

could you run two copies of tor, and connect with one in order to upgrade the other?

or have it update itself

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bloody posted:

or have it update itself

self-update for network connectivity makes me nervous, I admit

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

http://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article17139890.html is probably related in some way

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

how concerned should I be about a wireless modem box for ATMs that proudly runs OpenSSL according to the website, complete with dinky 802.11 antenna electrical taped to the ATM

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Ignoring the usual fuckups of normal people taking security: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/16/style/keeping-your-car-safe-from-electronic-thieves.html

quote:

When I told him my story, he knew immediately what had happened. The teenagers, he said, likely got into the car using a relatively simple and inexpensive device called a “power amplifier.”

He explained it like this: In a normal scenario, when you walk up to a car with a keyless entry and try the door handle, the car wirelessly calls out for your key so you don’t have to press any buttons to get inside. If the key calls back, the door unlocks. But the keyless system is capable of searching for a key only within a couple of feet.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
:ohdear: i hope no one works out how to combine the technologies of nfc credit cards and power amplification

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The coming two days, the city of The Hague will be hosting the "Global Conference on Cyberspace 2015". It's basically a massive meeting of politicians that are responsible for internet regulations and stuff in their respective countries. Other than politicians from most countries, there will be folks from tech companies and a bunch of NGOs.

It's treated like quite a big deal.

A few examples from their programme:

- Lunch panel on 'Cyber warfare and jus in bello'
- FOCUS SESSION : International peace and security in cyberspace
- Parallel Session : Rethinking the social impact of new cyber technologies
- Parallel Session : Exploring the best (and most fun) tools in cyber security education

And so on.

The city government of The Hague is saying they did all they could to make sure the cybersecurity during the cyberspace conference will be up to cyberstandards, because they're afraid people are going to test their security during the conference.

Another, more important piece of news, is that the folks on the conference will officially announce the formation of a "Global Forum on Cyber Expertise". The idea is that countries are scared their confidential data will leak when third world governments with worse cyber security get hacked and are used as a point of entry to secure information. So this global forum will share tips on how to secure government systems with countries that have less cyberexpertise.

:words:, but I'm interested to see how many gently caress-ups will happen in The Hague tomorrow.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
i thought that said bus in jello

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

The coming two days, the city of The Hague will be hosting the "Global Conference on penguin space 2015". It's basically a massive meeting of politicians that are responsible for internet regulations and stuff in their respective countries. Other than politicians from most countries, there will be folks from tech companies and a bunch of NGOs.

- Lunch panel on 'Penguin warfare and jus in bello'
- FOCUS SESSION : International peace and security in penguin space
- Parallel Session : Rethinking the social impact of new penguin technologies
- Parallel Session : Exploring the best (and most fun) tools in penguin security education

And so on.

The city government of The Hague is saying they did all they could to make sure the penguin security during the penguin space conference will be up to penguin standards, because they're afraid people are going to test their security during the conference.

Another, more important piece of news, is that the folks on the conference will officially announce the formation of a "Global Forum on Penguin Expertise". The idea is that countries are scared their confidential data will leak when third world governments with worse penguin security get hacked and are used as a point of entry to secure information. So this global forum will share tips on how to secure government systems with countries that have less penguin expertise.

cyber is now just another buzz word

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

now, as opposed to

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

also, i think you mean wizard

canis minor
May 4, 2011

sorry, i don't like wizards :(

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

canis minor posted:

sorry, i don't like wizards :(
mods please ban this bigot

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

The coming two days, the city of The Hague will be hosting the "Global Conference on Cyberspace 2015". It's basically a massive meeting of politicians that are responsible for internet regulations and stuff in their respective countries. Other than politicians from most countries, there will be folks from tech companies and a bunch of NGOs.

- Parallel Session : Exploring the best (and most fun) tools in cyber security education

And so on.

The city government of The Hague is saying they did all they could to make sure the cybersecurity during the cyberspace conference will be up to cyberstandards, because they're afraid people are going to test their security during the conference.

Another, more important piece of news, is that the folks on the conference will officially announce the formation of a "Global Forum on Cyber Expertise". The idea is that countries are scared their confidential data will leak when third world governments with worse cyber security get hacked and are used as a point of entry to secure information. So this global forum will share tips on how to secure government systems with countries that have less cyberexpertise.

:words:, but I'm interested to see how many gently caress-ups will happen in The Hague tomorrow.

yeah they have that but they had the ACTUAL conference for pros with pro stuff before it.", the NCSC-NL One Conference. it was p good.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

GCCS is top govt level like ministers and stuff, NCSC One is more operational so it has more cool people

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

And so on.

this is why i was late to my lecture this morning so gently caress 'em

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

SIGSEGV posted:

just the same ones everyone gets or did you actually have to deal with his poo poo at a day job?

no, i've jušt read his things on th internet a long time ago, i don't know him

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

he's genuinely a really nice guy, but definitely has some questionable calibration on a few issues, and I've given him feedback about his communication style many many times.

Movac
Oct 31, 2012
Found my local paper's article on those voting machines.

quote:

Fairfax City election officials said they felt the study the State Board of Elections looked at before deciding the decertify the machines overstated the risks.

quote:

Texas-based Advanced Voting Solutions Inc. stopped making voting machines in 2007 after failing to win U.S. Election Commission certification for its equipment, according to VerifiedVoting.org, a nonprofit that lobbies for accurate and secure voting.

The company's phone is disconnected, and its corporate charter has been withdrawn, according to Texas Secretary of State filings.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

awwwww its baby's first mitm attack

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

I'm the Virginia voting machines infected by Blaster

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

awwwww its baby's first mitm attack

who is even shocked that cars have jank security

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

dont hack my tesla bro

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

you wouldn't hack a car

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

just epoxy the network ports and don't broadcast the ssid

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

DNova posted:

just epoxy the network and usb ports and don't broadcast the ssid

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

and definitely the OBD-2 port

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

rip

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

he's genuinely a really nice guy, but definitely has some questionable calibration on a few issues, and I've given him feedback about his communication style many many times.

i don't really mind his communication style and i can concede that i don't know him so i'll trust you on him being a good person, it's just that he made a lot of bad decisions re: firefox but maybe those were forced in by other factors but by now i just reflexively blame him for most bad firefox decisions because he's been the face i've been seeing ever since the "no more version numbers they are confusing" stupidity

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

coolio did some of that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

• Locked thread