Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I am headed out to volleyball, whoever wants to handle the votecount while I am gone (assuming you all remain less than perfect at remembering to unvote) will receive a Minor Boon when I return.

note that multiple players can volunteer and if so the boon will go to whomever is the best/better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
##unvote
##vote Ixtlilton

Actually no that poo poo was too bad not to vote him for.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

My interaction with MMT was:

1. not a slap fight
2. not the basis for my vote

And if you are presenting either of the thing in the list as fact, you're misrepresenting what happened and I will be suspicious of you

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Quidnose posted:

B is the only valid point you've made in all this, but you didn't make it until now.

Murmur Twin posted:

(a) So Merk is clearly able to make effort - he just isn't using it to hunt scum.

I probably could have used a more clear choice of words but that is the point I was trying to make.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

EccoRaven posted:

I am headed out to volleyball, whoever wants to handle the votecount while I am gone (assuming you all remain less than perfect at remembering to unvote) will receive a Minor Boon when I return.

note that multiple players can volunteer and if so the boon will go to whoever is the best/better.

You got this, votefinder!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ixtlilton posted:

Gonna case you now fcuker.

Bring it on

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Deadbeat Dad posted:

The only thing I shitted up was my mouth with dust pasta, but early D1 is always jokey like that so I mean it's a pretty uncalled for dig. Also I have a big problem with you saying you kickstarted something when in all actuality Max did. And you didn't even kickstart the current convo. Maybe by proxy because you made a bad statistics post that people took issue with, but it's not something you can really brag about unless you're saying you did it on purpose to get a reaction which seems unlikely.

I hate everything about this argument

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Max posted:

imgay's reasoning is very, very bad at the moment but his "you first" thing wasn't that bad, imho. That was my reaction in my head.

I voted Tomm because he came in going "who's gonna make content" when really if you want something that isn't there, just make it yourself. I wanted to see his reaction to that vote.

And also it would be funny to vote him day 1 again

This is good reasoning from Max, I believe him

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Just want to point out again that this exchange is all sorts of bullshit from MMT, combined with the all sorts of bullshit fake case that was just posted:

Murmur Twin posted:

Yeah, I'm just going to be honest and admit that I don't actually have any reads yet :eng99:

Quidnose posted:

I will vote you for this.

##vote Murmur Twin

Admitting you're joshing, that your reads are nonexisting, and then sitting on your joke vote on me is bull.

Murmur Twin posted:

Hah, I meant to unvote when I said the other thing but backspaced it when i replied to Keane. And then I was going to unvote in this explanation but feel like you're challenging me and I don't want to back down.

It is not, however, a slapfight.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

And I am still not sure why DBD, after that exchange, comes out with this:

Deadbeat Dad posted:

MMT and Quid are two townies that seem to be slapfighting IMO.

I don't like TMM's "sum this up for me" post when there has been like 1 page of actual dialogue and mafia play. Still don't think imgay's response was very good.

Why were you so certain we were both town here, DBD?

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Quidnose posted:

I hate everything about this argument

It's not an "argument".

(look, it's you and MMT getting pissy over it being called a slapfight who the gently caress cares what people are calling it, it was a thing and people commented on it).

Imgay's day 1 was bad. It's insanely scummy to sit back and tell other people to provide content and then act as if he kickstarted some convo. Reeks of wanting town cred for something.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

He did tho

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Quidnose posted:

Both of your votes on each other were dumb and awkward and there is literally no reason for me to assume one of you would be scum for that which is why I found Birdstrike's view on it strange.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

MMT is basing her case on merk saying he wasn't going to read anything, and therefore it was weird that he came back and called out Taste's vote.

Initial post:

merk posted:

I'm town guys. See you day 2.

Timestamp 03:09

Then the entire exchange with me and MMT, and DBD weighing in on it being a town slapfight:

merk posted:

##vote MMT

Time stamp 19:46. Merk is CLEARLY reading what has happened here and has made a vote based on his analysis of the situation. That doesn't sound disengaged merk to me at all, which is the entire basis of your argument.

AND YET:

Murmur Twin posted:

##vote Merk

I feel like a town player would argue that TTs vote on him as wrong, but the way Merk is immediately jumping to "fake" makes me think Taste is onto something. Also, Merks effort seems more interested self-preservation than hunting scum.

This is 3 hours later.

How did you not see this is what happened? It's so very, very clear.

I think you saw merk said he was going to peace out, decided you could get a strong player out based on an emotional "oh so lazy of you merk" plea, and went with it. Unfortunately what happened doesn't mirror reality.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Lol quid are you serious

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Hi, someone from work quit and I've been picking up their slack for the last few days.

Anyway, major reads:

Really just DBD at the moment. Off the top of my head -

1) His read on imgay, as I posted before, was wrong. I think town should have found Tomm's "make content" post scummy. To call someone out for claiming that is bad and misguided.

2) His following that up by dismissing Quidnose and MMT's VERY SHORT interaction as a town slapfight doesn't make sense. I know what a slapfight looks like (I've been in . . . a lot) and two people poking at each other for less than a page barely rates.

Preview edit:

Quidnose posted:

Yes this.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Forgot this:

##vote DBD

I'm going to read back and see what else there is. I saw that some people came in while stuff was actually happening and talked about sandwhiches? My eyes glazed over there.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I'm literally the most town person right now and if you vote me I will omgus you and vote you back.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
##unvote
##vote Max

Mafia want active town out early.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Deadbeat Dad posted:

The back and forth seemed silly enough to be called out as two town slapfighting. That opinion can certainly change, but it's day 1. Other people are looking worse.

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Both of your votes on each other were dumb and awkward and there is literally no reason for me to assume one of you would be scum for that which is why I found Birdstrike's view on it strange.

That's at least internally consistent so you're either being genuine or rereading yourself carefully. :v:

I think I believe DBD and he's just being awkward this game. When's the last time you played Mafia, DBD, I feel like it's been a while

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Tremendous Taste posted:

I think voting someone you can't read is viable but it's not a move to be made if you have any strong inclination on who is scum whatsoever.

The reason I'm voting merk here, for example, is that this low effort play d1 seems out of character for his town play. On the other hand, as scum he'll take a bit more time to get moving and sooner abandon lines of thinking or indeed any posting whatsoever.

I usually wouldn't vote him for this, but as it's d1 and in all likelihood we aren't super powered as town, I'm willing to take the gamble.

I like your logic here Taste and I think it's the most logic I've seen from you, like, ever.

I disagree and you clearly disagree with me so why do you think merk wasn't reading and making a judgement call at that point? You're seeing his MMT vote as just a lazy...easy tagalong vote? For a single vote from me? Why would he make that call?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Keane makes a good point with Jedit not really doing much until being voted.

I was coming in anyway to case people and Keane's vote was there. It's entirely coincidental. My play style leaves me open to these kind of accusations and people do exploit that from time to time, along with my being in UK timezone so generally not around at deadline.

Quid, why are you set on defending merk? IME merk likes to make content on Day 1. Instead he's all but said that he's playing a scum game, but don't worry, it is a subtle ploy - oh, and BTW, he'll be back tomorrow. If he has to peace out for genuine reasons, why did he feel the need to defend his absenteeism as a tactic? It isn't enough for me to vote him, but I can't take it on faith that he's a good guy.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Deadbeat Dad posted:

##unvote
##vote Max

Mafia want active town out early.

Nah, town want people with spurious reasoning and reads that don't make sense to them out.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm honestly pretty content with my vote where it is for the time being. Tommunist pinged me from how he jumped on the joke turbo with no comment and asked who's going to pull the game from jokephase without putting any effort in to doing it himself.

I cannot possibly see how Vimes is checking out based on an early jokephase vote when poo poo has happened around him. This is weird as gently caress.

Also I really, REALLY haven't been paying attention to this game and anyone who has and says there isn't a lot of content is suspicious, I've been taking y'alls word for it and it's just not true.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I think he's reading the thread and throwing a me-too on board, which isn't inherently scummy or towny

When it's your only content though

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Jedit posted:

I was coming in anyway to case people and Keane's vote was there. It's entirely coincidental. My play style leaves me open to these kind of accusations and people do exploit that from time to time, along with my being in UK timezone so generally not around at deadline.

Quid, why are you set on defending merk? IME merk likes to make content on Day 1. Instead he's all but said that he's playing a scum game, but don't worry, it is a subtle ploy - oh, and BTW, he'll be back tomorrow. If he has to peace out for genuine reasons, why did he feel the need to defend his absenteeism as a tactic? It isn't enough for me to vote him, but I can't take it on faith that he's a good guy.

Because in rereading this didn't happen? Show me where he said "I am playing a scumgame." I see him reading and making calls.

The ONE thing you could say he's doing that is scummy? Continually referencing other games. "I was just cuddled for this in ____," "I would show you where you were wrong about me in ______ but I'm on my phone." That's suspicious. But the reason people are calling him suspicious (disengaged, claiming he's playing scum, etc.) are not true, and is showing a lack of reading him. That makes me suspicious of everyone else, because we all know merk is incredibly strong when he is town. A town D1 merk cuddle gives the scumteam a big advantage.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Tremendous Taste posted:

I think he's reading the thread and throwing a me-too on board, which isn't inherently scummy or towny

When it's your only content though

But it was early day 1 and you have ridden that vote. You can't retroactively say your vote was justified because he has offered no content; you didn't know what he was going to do at that point.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I would agree with you if this was a recent vote on your point, like, right now, but 'tisn't, is it?

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

D1 self meta p. town imo tbqh

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Birdstrike posted:

it doesn't feel like they're invested in their positions. it was "is that a jokevote? Well I'll vote you :mad:" "is that a joke reply? Well I'll vote you then :argh:"
it's just such a weak thing for towns to slapfights over. I'm used to seeing more venom in town fights.

poo poo maybe they're both scum

This is kind of weird, I thought Birdstrike was initially saying "that's not a slapfight you guys are dumb" but then he talks himself into this and that's just odd.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

TMMadman posted:

Accidental penetration?

I keep forgetting TMM is in this game, he's coming in with a lot of snipey joke comments. Not his usual play.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Deadbeat Dad posted:

:gary:

TMM, what's your read on the game so far? From what I remember you usually get involved way more and have yet to really make a post that isn't a joke. Let's game, guys.

Oh. LOL.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Deadbeat Dad posted:

I'm literally the most town person right now and if you vote me I will omgus you and vote you back.

what the hell is this post

##unvote
##vote dbd

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Quidnose posted:

That's at least internally consistent so you're either being genuine or rereading yourself carefully. :v:

I think I believe DBD and he's just being awkward this game. When's the last time you played Mafia, DBD, I feel like it's been a while

It's my first game in like 6 months I think, but I play the same every game. I always get tons of heat on me D1 as town because I post a lot and have more opinions that people can critique.

Awkward about what? Did I read your whole interaction with MMT wrong? It started out jokey and then became a real vote.

This is a slapfight:

Which is what I characterized it as. If I knew that word would have 15 different posts about it, I wouldn't have made it. But it seemed silly and awkward and I've held that stance since. Others have made a bigger deal out of it and think there is more to it, but somehow I am getting more suspicion for thinking both of you had an early town vs town back and forth.

Again, Imgay D1 was mostly gut. I don't like how he tried to take credit for making a bad statistics post as jumpstarting anything and getting personal in a response back. He looks better today.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

TMMadman posted:

I just ended a game and it was a bit draining, so I haven't fully jumped into this game yet but I'm working on it.

I think the Quid/MMT thing is probably being blown out of proportion, but I also don't really like that both of them voted for you (even though MMTs vote didn't count). You seem to be engaging the thread and trying to move things past joke phase and I usually take that as a town tell.

I really don't like TTs vote on merk and feel the justification for it is pretty weak:

This is coming from someone who often advocates for a no lynch on D1 and here he is saying that he wants to vote merk because of low effort. But the problem is that this whole day is been pretty low effort so far. If merk is town, it's better to have him around and if he is actually scum, it should be pretty obvious after a day or two because he will start making excuses about not playing.

Hurm.

On the one hand I disagree with D1 being low effort in doing a reread now, but I thought this game was being really slow to take off beforehand because I also wasn't engaged so I can get where TMM is coming from if he genuinely has been absent because he's a little burned out.

Feels like an easy opinion to make and no vote being attached to it, though, is a little weird. This is an odd post that doesn't really create any solid opinions.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SirSamVimes posted:

what the hell is this post

##unvote
##vote dbd

##unvote
##vote SSV

What the hell is this post? DBD is probably the most town person right now. He has been actively trying to get people to play the game and that is almost always a town tell.

I'm not voting for DBD or Jedit. I feel both of those pushes are bad.

I'm gonna make some dinner and be back in a little bit.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

TMMadman posted:

That must be why I voted you shortly after you posted your reasoning.

It's bad and you should feel bad.

Oh, I missed that he did this. Hurm.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Max posted:

Nah, town want people with spurious reasoning and reads that don't make sense to them out.

Coming from the guy who won't comment on the 8 people completely devoid of content and is voting somebody on the use of the word slapfight and the opinion that I should think Tomm is scummier over Imgay, which both of us have no idea about who is scummier. Why aren't you pushing Tomm then?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Quidnose posted:

Hurm.

On the one hand I disagree with D1 being low effort in doing a reread now, but I thought this game was being really slow to take off beforehand because I also wasn't engaged so I can get where TMM is coming from if he genuinely has been absent because he's a little burned out.

Feels like an easy opinion to make and no vote being attached to it, though, is a little weird. This is an odd post that doesn't really create any solid opinions.

Hey you dolt, I voted Taste prior to that post.

Preview edit - Oh you noticed it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Unless you know more than you're letting on, Max.

• Locked thread