Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Episode 20: Devil in Disguise

Episode 20: Devil in Disguise

With guest co-commentator Lunethex

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
:golfclap:

Now that's how you end an LP!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Bad because of me Q&A with Lead Writer Tom Abernathy - Part 1

Question #1

What was your involvement with "The Saboteur", how big of a role did you play in its development?

Answer: I was lead writer for 1st 3 years. Played major creative role almost from beginning, developing world & characters.

Question #2

Did the untimely demise of Pandemic Studios rush the project out the door? Was there any planned DLC for post-launch content?

Answer: No. Game was finished before studio was shuttered. 1 could make case the delay of project from 3 to 4.5 years+ played role in EA choosing 2 shut down Pandemic. (Mercs 2 as well) But that's just speculation. Don't know about DLC. Certainly there were plans for a sequel. DLC was just becoming a thing at that point, so not sure about that.

--------------

Got any questions for Tom? Let me know and I'll shoot him a tweet!

(Future questions)
Question #3

Were there any plans for a bigger role for General Eckhardt? The 3rd act feels rushed, is this intentional?

Question #4

Who's your favorite character in the game, and why?

Question #5

What's your fondest memory from the development of "The Saboteur"?

Question #6

Do you think "The Saboteur" will ever get a sequel? Would you want to go back to it, and where would you have it set?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Q&A with Lead Writer Tom Abernathy - Part 2

Question #3

Were there any plans for a bigger role for General Eckhardt? The 3rd act feels rushed, is this intentional?

Answer: The script underwent some revisions after I left, especially in the 3rd act. (Although rule of thumb in game dev is that you put a lot more work into beginnings than endings, bcs only maybe 1/3 of players play to the end. I can't speak to the "rushed" part. Originally there were 2 main villains, Dierker & Eckhardt. Think Vader & Emperor. Dierker was cut after I left project. Eckhardt was always meant to be more power behind scenes, a la Emp Sidious, so it's possible the loss of Dierker accounts for any sense that Eckhardt isn't around as much as you'd expect.

Edit:
Question 3.5 "You say that Dierker was cut, but he was still the main villain. Don't you mean Eckhardt was cut, affecting Dierker?"

Answer: Sorry, yes. That's what I meant. :-)

Question #4

Who's your favorite character in the game, and why?

Answer: This is SUPER hard, because I love them all. Aside from Sean, bcs duh :-), probably Skylar Sinclair. Lots of great 1s cut too. Fav of those: Georgia Parker, inspired by Josephine Baker. Cut from game.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 9, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Q&A with Lead Writer Tom Abernathy - Part 3

Question #5

What's your fondest memory from the development of "The Saboteur"?

Answer: 2 things come to mind. For my 1st 6-9 months the design team was lead des Tom French & me. Blissfully productive. More specifically, working w concept artist to develop Skylar's plane. 2+ wks of convo & iteration. End result: A plane that evokes Skylar, both her look & her personality. Thrilling example of cross-disciplinary collaboration.

Question #6

Do you think "The Saboteur" will ever get a sequel? Would you want to go back to it, and where would you have it set?

Answer: Hard to imagine. Highly regarded but low sales, bcs no support from EA at the time. Whole team is gratified that so many fans have discovered it & are passionate about it. I'd do another in a heartbeat. Plan was to go to Berlin.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's really weird to me that Skylar's plane was a loving P61 Black Widow. Why not use a Lysander? They were actually used for covert insertions and things, specifically with the French Resistance.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Night10194 posted:

It's really weird to me that Skylar's plane was a loving P61 Black Widow. Why not use a Lysander? They were actually used for covert insertions and things, specifically with the French Resistance.

Lysanders aren't sexy though

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Was the subplot of the "glowing thing in the trunk that's totally the Ark of the Covenant/Holy Grail" that Bishop has you recover originally going to go somewhere or pay off? Or was is just a fun nod to Indiana Jones-style Nazi mysticism plots?

The Saboteur, visually, feels like a giant love letter to 1940s/50s cinema. Were there any major cinematic influences that helped shape the script?

What inspired the choice to have the protagonist be an Irishman in a predominantly French setting?

What is your favorite line of dialog from the game?

Was there a need to keep things "historically accurate", or as close to as possible?

On that note, if The Saboteur did actually get a sequel and Sean made it to Berlin, would we have encountered Hitler (or any other famous Nazis) at any point? Or would you have stuck to fictitious ones as antagonists?

If yes, a followup: "Hitler Boss Fight? [Y/N]"

And lastly, Skylar and Veronique seem like the Betty and Veronica of The Saboteur. Who would you prefer Sean ultimately wound up with between the two?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Q&A with Lead Writer Tom Abernathy - Part 4

Question #7

If you had the choice, what time period of Berlin would you set it in? Near the end of the war? During 'His' rise?

Answer: Never got that far, at least while I was there. Original plan was to end 1st game w Allied liberation of Paris, but we were asked not to go that far, so as to preserve part of the war in Europe for a sequel.

Question #8

Was it a deliberate choice not to mention Hitler, or most/all of the people who actually participated in the war?

also ties into Question #10

Was it also deliberate to skew the timeframes a bit? What was the inspiration for terror troops, zeppelins, and wulf tanks?

Answer: In general, we were making a stylized version of occupied Paris; historical accuracy mattered but wasn't paramount. To do a Medal of Honor-type historical game would've meant too many limitations. We were aiming more for Raiders of the Lost Ark feel, w a little James Bond in there as well. Don't recall ever discussing whether or not to mention Hitler specifically; wasn't germane to what we were doing. Once you introduce him, you've reached apex antagonist. We were more interested in a microcosm of the war, with our own characters as the focus. Although Devlin is loosely based on 3 real Grand Prix drivers who worked for SOE. It was their experience we were concerned with depicting, & none of them ever met Hitler. Not having been alive during the war, I can't say how often Hitler was discussed in everyday conversation. So just wasn't a big issue for us. Other inspirations: Where Eagles Dare, The Train

Not aware of any skewing of timeframes. We were specific about starting the game just before the Paris occupation and it ends before the liberation. There were some historical inspirations for the things you mention, but again we wanted to give ourselves as much artistic license to imagine as possible. & zeppelins are just awesome. :-)

Question #9

Who named the various vehicles so I know who to blame? ;) You spoke of Skylar's plane, did you use blueprints of the P-61 or stock photos for the design?

Answer: No idea who named vehicles. Can't speak to blueprints of specific referents. TONS of research done, though.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

nine-gear crow posted:

Was the subplot of the "glowing thing in the trunk that's totally the Ark of the Covenant/Holy Grail" that Bishop has you recover originally going to go somewhere or pay off? Or was is just a fun nod to Indiana Jones-style Nazi mysticism plots?

Kinda both. Obvious nod to Raiders (& Pulp Fiction), but was originally meant to pay off more. But fine as is, too.

The Saboteur, visually, feels like a giant love letter to 1940s/50s cinema. Were there any major cinematic influences that helped shape the script? (Previously answered)

What inspired the choice to have the protagonist be an Irishman in a predominantly French setting?

Great Q. The version of the player character in the original demo made by Scott Warner & Tom French et al using the Mercs engine was an Englishman, a Jude Law type. General consensus in studio was that he came off a little foppish. Making him not just Irish but working class, a mechanic, deliberately broke with the 3 real life drivers' lives, but we felt it would make him a little more obviously masculine & relatable. We wanted him to be an earthy barroom brawler type; almost what you might expect if he were an American. Just felt more relatable to players in our minds.

What is your favorite line of dialog from the game?

Honestly, enough of my script was rewritten that I couldn't say what lines I recall were in released game or not. I loved the stuff with Jules in the interrogation, some of which is mine. My two favorite scenes, 1 Sean/Skylar & 1 Sean/Georgia, were cut. They were very much in mold of Raymond Chandler - Maltese Falcon, BIg Sleep, Key Largo.

Was there a need to keep things "historically accurate", or as close to as possible?

On that note, if The Saboteur did actually get a sequel and Sean made it to Berlin, would we have encountered Hitler (or any other famous Nazis) at any point? Or would you have stuck to fictitious ones as antagonists?

If yes, a followup: "Hitler Boss Fight? [Y/N]"
Previously answered

And lastly, Skylar and Veronique seem like the Betty and Veronica of The Saboteur. Who would you prefer Sean ultimately wound up with between the two?

Very true & no accident. One thing I discovered in my research was the extent of distrust SOE came to have for the French Resistance (& vice versa). Great movie called Veronica Guerin, w Cate Blanchett, that fictionalized the life of a couple of real female SOE agents in occupied France & dramatizes that dynamic. Also Verhoeven's Black Book. I created Véronique (obvi nod 2 Veronica Guerin & also Kieslowski's Double Life of Veronica) & Skylar (sky! Pilot!) to personify those two poles, groups who started out working in concert but over time started working at odds. (Especially SOE; as war was starting to swing, Allies didn't want communists getting power in postwar France, so they started double-crossing the Resistance. Again, see Veronica Guerin.) I wanted those points of view to be given voice, & for Sean to be torn between them. So it was intentional that at 1st, like Betty/Veronica or Mary Jane/Gwen the more glamorous one might seem more appealing, but the girl-next-door charms of the other became more appealing over time. Also bcs I ultimately come down more on the side of the Resistance, who I think were betrayed by SOE. Skylar is amazing in so many ways, but she's also a spoiled rich kid who's never gonna make a long term thing work. That's not how she's built (she has a bit of Lara Croft in her). Véronique is less flashy but has more substance. Having said that, Sean wouldn't end up w Skylar bcs no one would; she'll never settle down. So Véronique is only option between the two. Whether Véronique would ever decide to try and settle down w Sean is another matter. She might be too smart to believe a guy like him would ever settle down either. Dunno. Would have loved to find out. :-)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Oh, and speaking of double-crosses and such. What was the reason for Santos' betrayal? Was he a Franco loyalist?

Can't speak to that. Santos was maybe the only major character I didn't create. He was created after I left.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
All great answers. If you're reading this, Tom, thanks a bunch! :buddy:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Were Margot and the other resistance cell leaders dead offscreen? It looked like Veronique was chosen just because she hung around Luc and the people with actual experience in the resistance got tossed aside.

What is the deal with the glowing eyes thing at the end?

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 10, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Scalding Coffee posted:

Were Margot and the other resistance cell leaders dead offscreen? It looked like Veronique was chosen just because she hung around Luc and the people with actual experience in the resistance got tossed aside.

What is the deal with the glowing eyes thing at the end?

I think all the cell leaders are supposed to be dead, thanks to Santos' betrayal. Its not very well explained in-game, but they did find two of our HQs, with characters like Bryman and co dying in the Belle de Nuit.

There is a bonus episode coming, eventually, but as far as I know there are no missions from any main quest-giver. Everything passed this point is side mission stuff.

The glowing eyes is a running joke from Lunethex's amazing Syphon Filter LP

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
This video here completely and concisely explains everything you need to know about the "Rhoemer Saga" from the Syphon Filter LP.

Kinfolk910
Nov 5, 2010
Some notes about the finale. It doesn't matter if you shoot him or not he always dies.

Fun note you shot the guy giving the place the background music. When he died it stopped in game.

Pretty sure that if you left them alone, except for the drunkards, they'll eventually all kill themselves.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
... Is that p-61 that a loving p-61... How gently caress long has this game been going on that thing didn't get produced until 1943 and how the hell did she land that in the those hills short landing are not a thing that does. Also BF 109 machine guns don't work that way drat it. And she's using the turret while flying (I mean I guess there could have been another person in the plane but if that was the case where the hell did they stick everyone else)

Jobbo: Also I don't know why stuff is exploding.... Me: Why Jobbo that simple she's just dropping the nonexistent bombs that P-61 could carry one it's bomb mounts... you know that one that weren't there in the cut scenes.

So you did this episode back on august the 15. And now I see a bit of mortician and a bit of road.... Jobbo did you break the game again? Jobbo Two seconds later: and the game crashed.

Why did the Nazi fall of the tower? Oh... that's why. Okay I wasn't expecting Dirker to have a Heel realization there.

Well played Jobbo off to read the developer comments I guess.

cokerpilot fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 10, 2016

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
oh drat the LP is over already? please tell me there is a video of all the side missions at least.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
there's another update with something in it.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
also there seems to be some massive audio desync for me in the last video.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Blind Sally posted:

there's another update with something in it.

Hoping for a musical montage of all the remaining free play targets getting exploded.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Thefluffy posted:

also there seems to be some massive audio desync for me in the last video.

There was a slight audio volume issue but no desync as far as I know. Might just be youtube shenanigans?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Bonus Episode 01:

Bonus 01: Deutschland Uber Phallus

With guest co-commentators Blind Sally, Faerie Fortune, Jamie The D, and Nine Gear Crow

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Did I miss anything?

Did I miss anything in my playthrough? Want to see something done in-game?

Now's your chance to get your suggestions in!

Should I show off how to jump off the Eiffel Tower... and live to tell the tale? Are there any vehicles you want to see driven?

Let me know!

(Please try to keep requests simple. I will try to do whatever is asked for, although I don't have saves before every mission so please don't ask for me to re-do Mission X just to kill one dude differently :) )

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:stonk:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

You're welcome!

I should've put a Dead Kennedys album cover on the thumbnail, damnit!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

If ever there was a non-Rhoemer occasion to use Klezmer Party, that was it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also, as promised

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
The video ended with exploding cows.

That was going to be my one request.

Unless you can manage to use the cows to also blow up nazis. Then do that.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

nine-gear crow posted:

If ever there was a non-Rhoemer occasion to use Klezmer Party, that was it.

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...Name=SeanDevlin

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I see your Klezmer and I raise you Duke:

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...Name=DukeDevlin

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

nine-gear crow posted:

I see your Klezmer and I raise you Duke:

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...Name=DukeDevlin THIS IS THE BETTER VERSION!

I thought it was going to be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7rnhIkjhEg

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 22, 2016

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
As Fae said, that show isn't burlesque. Burlesque is all about titillation, what those girls are wearing is what you see for like, a few seconds as the big reveal of a Burlesque show after like three minutes of slowly building up to it. And the nudity... Yeah, you will never see nipples at a burlesque club.
I know that this is a minor thing and no one but I really care but I just wanted to state it anyway.

Oh, also, thank you for the LP! I would have loved to see what this concept could have been if it... wasn't this.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Looks like the game is coming on Steam and GOG.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Thanks for a great LP!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Scalding Coffee posted:

Looks like the game is coming on Steam and GOG.

https://www.gog.com/game/saboteur

Already out on GOG!

I would like to take this moment and credit myself for the sudden surge in popularity of the game :smuggo:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Are we going to see the pimp mobile or did you already show it?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Scalding Coffee posted:

Are we going to see the pimp mobile or did you already show it?

I may not have shown it, come to think of it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

https://www.gog.com/game/saboteur

Already out on GOG!

I would like to take this moment and credit myself for the sudden surge in popularity of the game :smuggo:

and with that I have no reason to keep my old xbox 360 anymore. :thumbsup:

• Locked thread