Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
YAFAP (holy hell never thought I'd ever type that)

From my last post, I made my way down until I hit Medusa. I was paranoid about eels and krakens until I remembered my blindfold/telepathy, and so could actually see them. I then began to harbor a great love for my water walking boots. Reflection and blindness made Medusa cake (Not literally though. Eating her would be stupid).

I then hacked through some maze levels (eating a red dragon in the process to get the one resistance I had been missing) and got to the Castle. I bugled the drawbridge up and down until I was satisfied I could make it in without being crushed or overwhelmed. Excalibur and friend made short work of literally everything in there that was trying to kill me. I located the wand and grabbed a magic marker, a bag of holding, gauntlets of power, a helm of brilliance, and an amulet of life saving. I then proceeded to start enchanting things and mix up my numbers and attempt to enchant a +5 helm of brilliance. I then spent my last wish on another helm of brilliance.

I then proceeded with the exciting task of bringing all of the junk from twenty dungeon levels up to my stash on level 3. Once up there, I went about with more blessing and enchanting. Somewhere in all of this I also picked up a pair of speed boots. I couldn't find myself complaining.

I also learned a valuable lesson. When playing around with a wand of polymorph in the hopes of the slim odds of polymorphing tools into magic markers, do make sure that sack you're zapping has been emptied of its contents first. I lost a bunch of spare scrolls, potions, and wands, as well as my trusty Fire Brand which had been my fire protection until I swallowed that dragon.

I figured I'd make my way down and hope I'd accumulate enough experience for the final level I needed to hit the Quest. Wouldn't you know it, I ran into a wraith partway down.

The Quest itself was easy. With my uber armor (-27 AC!) pretty much nothing could touch me. One notable thing was that a random Ninja had Sunsword, bringing my artifact sword count up to four (Snickersnee, Excalibur, Fire Brand, and now Sunsword). Nothing on the wiki says ninja are regular hoarders of it and I definitely didn't have a bones file for it, so...eh, who cares. Point is, I hucked it at another ninja until he decided to wield it. I killed him and enjoyed my perma two tile light for the rest of the game.

The Quest Nemesis would have been absolutely dangerous is a random samurai enemy hadn't missed me with a bow or something of the sort. Ashikaga then teleported to the upstairs...leaving the Tsurugi of Muramasa behind him. For irony's sake I used it to kill him despite my unskilled abilities with the sword. I also used it to kill everything on my way back up. Again, purely for humor.

Getting back up to my stash with the Tsurugi and Bell of Opening meant it was time for the Gehennom run, which I'd never even gotten close to before. One of the nicer bits about the Quest was that I got to get a spare katana to replace my starting one, which had long since acquired a healthy layer of rust and corrosion. Incidentally, not one, not two, but three of the ones I grabbed ended up being +2. Fancy that. Additionally, I also picked up a silver saber there.

Finally, I did my final altar rites. First, I zapped my Wands of Create Monster I'd acquired for sacrifice fodder. I landed myself some more protection to start. Thirdly, I got crowned (more for the aesthetic value than anything).

Oh, I missed secondly there?

Grayswandir.

At this point, I'd be embarassed if I managed to blow this. Not only was I decked out in gear (a good deal mostly decorative swords, one I managed to destroy), but I was now capable of rocking the best weapon combination for the toughest Gehennom threats. So, I packed up my stuff, read a cursed scroll of teleport, and ended up in the Valley of the Dead.

The Valley was interesting, mostly due to the large amounts of loot I couldn't do anything with. I did find a scroll of enchant armor, though. I blessed it up, and got ready to enchant my boots.

In doing so, I also forgot to remove my +4 Gauntlets of Power. So, guess who blew up another piece of equipment? With cockatrices running around, no less.

This was mitigated by finding a pair of padded gloves about twenty tiles north. I would have taken cursed gauntlets of fumbling, just to avoid the outside chance of "monster hucks a potion of blindness at me, I walk over a cockatrice corpse". Instead, it was uncursed gauntlets of dexterity.

Yeah, the RNG liked me.

Right below the Valley was Juiblex's Swamp. I was strolling around, swinging my swords at him, and then he engulfs me! The bastard! I zapped a wand of digging at him and then laughed at his corpse.

He had the last laugh as I forgot about his sickness and used up my amulet of life saving two floors into the place I was afraid of dying most in. I felt stupid, as that was easily preventable with my unicorn horn, but I'd neglected to pay attention. Regardless, my boots of water walking made the swamp otherwise non-notable.

Just below this was Asmodeus, and there I learned a great hatred of enemies that teleport away. Even with speed timing and a pair of stupid strong silver sabers, I couldn't kill him before he teleported away to heal. "Alright, fine then, you rear end in a top hat. You want to teleport away? So will I!". I read a scroll of teleport and discover his lair is non-teleport.

Okay, I kind of deserved that. I did it the hard way and walked over there and beat him up, and continued on my way.

Through this, I used my magic marker and scrolls to magic map Gehennom. I'd found another magic lamp at one point, blessed it, and made off with another magic marker. Naturally, I ran out of ink five floors from the bottom.

Baalzebub wasn't worth noting, him basically being Asmodeus 2.0. Since I was using Excalibur for general use thanks to the automatic searching, none of the demons were really inclined to do anything but shoot on sight. This was okay, as I wasn't really either.

Orcus was interesting. As soon as I mapped the level, I saw what it was and wiki'd up to be prepared. The general consensus was to dig down a floor, and go up the staircase and land right on top of him and kill him ASAP before he could waste his wand.

Of course, I missed the bit where this required to actually have a way to kill him before he teleported off. By the time I resorted to walking over to the upstairs to kill him, the wand had three charges left.

After all this, I stumbled upon Vlad's Tower. The only interesting thing there was a chance to recover my sanity with a new amulet of life saving. I also helpfully called the strangulation amulet such in capital letters, just in case.

The rest of Gehennom was decidedly less interesting. I was swimming in wands of digging, so I had no trouble drawing a line from staircase to staircase in preparation of my trip back up. I eventually made it to the bottom, and located the vibrating square. I then began my last minute preparations for the Wizard of Yendor. I checked, double checked, and triple checked everything.

And realized I'd forgotten the seven candles all the way back at my stash. On level 3.

A lot of exercise later, I was ready for my attempt at Rodney's Tower. All in all, it wasn't too bad, up until the Wizard himself. I'd meant to zap him with a wand of death charge (I'd spent a not insignificant amount of the marker charges that would have gone to mapping on a scroll of charging for Orcus's wand, giving me seven charges on that and an unknown number on another wand I'd picked up) from the corner of the tower before he could wake up and attack me. Instead, I flubbed it, going in to look if I'd hit him or not, woke him up, and found myself surrounded by enemies and my HP dropping below 150 for the first time since about level 8 or so. It took a couple more charges to hit him, but eventually he went down, and the Book of the Dead was mine.

With everything all set, I made a beeline for the vibrating square. On the way, I had an unfortunate encounter with a mind flayer. I'll cover that later. I got there, performed the Invocation, and decended into the sanctum.

I then spent the next hour killing things over and over. Between a reappearance of Rodney and a bunch of priests and an Arch-Lich that wouldn't die, I'm pretty sure literally or close to every single tile in the Sanctum was covered with monsters at one point. Enough so, that I managed to die and blow a second Amulet. I panicked some before I remembered I'd packed half a dozen wands of fire and lightning for emergency Elbereths. You know, that magic code word I'd forgotten for half the game. Once I remembered to start doing that, the more dangerous baddies left me alone and eventually I cleared out the sanctum. The arch-lich took a good whacking from a cockatrice corpse that I decided to risk swinging at him (the alternative spending more time fighting it, risking more nasties and Rodney), but other than that, I was left with just the High Priest and some random demon named Geryon. He started out peaceful so I left him alone while I made absolutely sure the sanctum was clear. I switched to Excalibur, and then a turn later found myself fighting him. A few swings later and he was dead, and I moved over where he had been and what the hell the Amulet of Yendor?

Yeah, so apparently someone had summoned him, and in the ensuing confusion he decided to jack the Amulet from the High Priest. I never even had to look at the guy. Realizing what luck this was, I ran like hell out of the Sanctum and staring making a run for Level 1.

It was at this time I realized quite how bad that mind flayer earlier had struck. I hadn't dug straight paths between all the staircases, as some were so close there wasn't much point to wasting the charges. I'd been relying on my magic mapping to see me through.

All in all, I'm pretty sure I forgot a good 50-75% of Gehennom thanks to that drat mind flayer. Between that, trap doors, and the mysterious force, I was pretty sure I was going to wind up navigating the same section of hell over and over.

During this, of course, Nethack decided I hadn't been lucky enough, and a giant or some such dropped a third amulet of life saving.

Eventually, though, I made it to the dungeon proper, where I ran like hell. The Castle was water walked across, as was Medusa. Everything else was run past in a blaze of isometric speed. I got to my stash on level 3 and made one last look over. I decided, oh hell, if I'm going to win I might as well win big, and pulled out all the gems and unidentified gems I could as well as Snickersnee, tossed it all in a bag, and ran. Naturally levels 2 and 1 had been mind-wiped, and after some stumbling around, I located the upstair and set my first foot on the Elemental Planes.

Rodney appeared, I zapped him for the final time. The counter at the end said five, but I don't recall all of them. Alas, I found myself bereft of digging! I'd spent all my wands digging out of Gehennom in a vain hope I'd be able to shortcut my pain in the levels I'd forgotten. Luckily, the minotaur nearby dropped one. I then tried to cast a spell of light I'd learned about thirty thousand turns earlier, read some gold detection, and found the portal. Digging to it was easy, with the earth elementals being buckets of HP.

The Plane of Air wasn't too bad. After an initial encounter with an air elemental who got wand of digging'd (and then wand of death'd when that didn't work), I drank my potion of blessed levitation, read my confused gold detection, and sauntered over to the portal.

On the Plane of Fire, I realized a conundrum. I had two planes left but only one scroll of gold detection. Whoops. I decided that I'd search it the hard way here, being a less dangerous plane than water. Luckily, the portal was just in the corner north of my.

Water I got to, read my scroll, and realized the futility of that with everything moving around so much. In the end, I just floated around in the general direction until I found the portal, all the while hoping I wouldn't end up drowning due to the bubbles' unpredictable movements.

And so, I made it to the Astral Plane. Amaterasu saw fit to hand me an Archon who didn't last long, while I made my way towards Pestilence. Upon encountering him, he made me deathly ill. However, I'd learned from my encounter with Juiblex, and used my unicorn horn before zapping him with a wand of death.

I then got surrounded by a bunch of archons and character monsters and got beat to death, losing my final amulet of life saving. It was clear I wouldn't be able to hack everything to death before I ran out of HP, and I wasn't even sure if I was heading towards the right altar.

It was then I remembered my wands of teleportation I'd been carrying for exactly this, making all three of my amulets spent due to my own stupidity. I zapped some wands, and trudged over to the altar, hoping against hope it was the right one.

"There is an altar to Amaterasu Omikami (Lawful) here."

Oh dear god how can I be this lucky. I dropped the Amulet of Yendor, and proceeded to type #offer...and discovered apparently on high altars you #offer from your inventory. I picked it up, and was just about to #offer it, and then remembered I wanted to take screenshots to show my friends (and this thread). I then saved, started glHack in windowed, #offer'd the amulet, and celebrated. I then looked at the clock and realized it was now 8 AM and I had been planning to wake up at noon. Whoops.

All in all, my first ascension was both hella fun and hella informative. I think next I'll try my first love, the Priestess, now that I have a much better idea of what to do and now do, and I'd like to use a less melee oriented class. Excalibur is cool and all, but a change of pace would be fun.

Rosalie_A fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Oct 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I don't think I've ever actually had mjollnir explode an enemy wand/ring and I use it all the time. For rings I don't think monsters even wear them, or at least those that can never spawn with them. Wands are a bit more dangerous but even then, assuming the monster themselves doesn't just blow all the charges (thus making the wand do nothing if it gets destroyed), it's still only a CHANCE to destroy it. The whole "lightning destroys stuff!" aspect of mjollnir is a really minor downside.

It tends to be pretty useful through the whole game - you'll start running into more lightning resistant enemies in Gehennom, so it's good to have a backup weapon available, but it should be easy to get one by that point and you can just switch to whichever is more effective in a given situation (grayswandir is probably going to be more useful against demons, even ones that aren't lightning resistant, so it makes a great weapon to swap with mjollnir).

I remember lots of wands and rings going up when I was playing... they don't have to be wearing them for them to be damaged, do they? I haven't played for a while, but I remember switching to Excalibur as soon as I could because it was annoying enough. Maybe I was just scared that the only instances of Free Action were blowing up because of me.

Edit: Contgrats, Trasson. My first ascension was a Samurai as well. You'll find they come a lot more quickly now that you're not as intimidated. Get ready to finish every class, bud.

hong kong divorce lunch fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Oct 28, 2012

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Congrats Trasson :)

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Congrats! It gets a lot easier after the first time :)

Trasson posted:

Orcus was interesting. As soon as I mapped the level, I saw what it was and wiki'd up to be prepared. The general consensus was to dig down a floor, and go up the staircase and land right on top of him and kill him ASAP before he could waste his wand.

Of course, I missed the bit where this required to actually have a way to kill him before he teleported off. By the time I resorted to walking over to the upstairs to kill him, the wand had three charges left.

The general idea with this strategy (which works wonders on high level liches) is to dig down from his level, perma-engrave Elbereth on the up the stairs, then go up and straight back down. The demon will follow you leaving you fighting on the up-stairs of the level below (you might have to reposition a bit if they get the stair spot). When enemies teleport away, it's always to the up-stairs. If you're standing on them and there is a free adjacent square they will port to that square. Note you need at least 2 squares free for this to work (one for them to stand in, another for them to 'port to), otherwise I believe they just randomly 'port to a square nearby. One thing to note specifically for Orcus is he seems to zap his wands more if he can't melee you, so if you want to preserve charges don't engrave Elbereth on the up-stairs.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Trasson posted:

And realized I'd forgotten the seven candles all the way back at my stash. On level 3.
This right here is how you play nethack!

Welcome to the big leagues, kid!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I'm still kind of amused that the only time I've ever faced Demogorgon in this game was the very first game I ascended with my Valkyrie. I didn't quite know what he was, but I petrified his rear end with a Cockatrice corpse. Hell yeah.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
So I guess it's going to be a theme with me that I blow up containers full of useful stuff. Mental note: next time I have a wand of cancelation, throw that thing away. Especially if I have a bag of holding filled with dozens of wands, scrolls, spellbooks, and potions (and an amulet of life saving I was saving for a rainy day...)

On the upside, the sheer amount of wraiths on the Priestess Quest has got me to level 30, which is enough to cast unskilled Fireball at decent success rates, so between that, Magic Missile, and the Staff of Aesculapius, I should have little trouble ascending unless I decide to pull more boneheaded moves like not looking at what I click to put into a bag of holding.

EDIT: Scratch that. I wasn't paying attention to what I left in the bag of holding. Specifically, my flute. I got to Medusa, figured I'd just dig down to the Castle, loot that, and be on my merry way. And then I realized I couldn't lower the drawbridge. Nor could I get over the water of Medusa. I probably could have salvaged it, but I ended up dying by starvation trying to find a way out.

Rosalie_A fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Nov 5, 2012

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Trasson posted:

Mental note: next time I have a wand of cancelation, throw that thing away.

This is my strategy - I've ascended 30+ times but I still don't trust myself with the drat things.

By the way, a number of people recommend staying as low level as possible until you have the amulet, since up to that point your level affects the danger level of spawned monsters quite significantly. All levels really do for you is slightly increase spell and melee success rates, which can generally be better improved by other means.

Regarding Medusa, there's a fair chance of getting levitation from breaking Perseus' statue (maybe you tried that though). If you're really stuck you can always use a scroll of earth to fill a square of the moat then shatter the door with a wand of striking. You should really have found both of these before hitting the castle in almost every game.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

..btt posted:

This is my strategy - I've ascended 30+ times but I still don't trust myself with the drat things.

By the way, a number of people recommend staying as low level as possible until you have the amulet, since up to that point your level affects the danger level of spawned monsters quite significantly. All levels really do for you is slightly increase spell and melee success rates, which can generally be better improved by other means.

Regarding Medusa, there's a fair chance of getting levitation from breaking Perseus' statue (maybe you tried that though). If you're really stuck you can always use a scroll of earth to fill a square of the moat then shatter the door with a wand of striking. You should really have found both of these before hitting the castle in almost every game.

I don't think I've ever ascended at a level higher than 18.

As for cancellation wands, they are too useful to throw away. If you're worried about it, be sure to play with menu colours and try not to get in the habit of selecting / , or . when putting things into your bag. Menu colours to make items containing cancellation appear in big bold lettering, as a visual cue.

Some but not all of the uses of cancellation.
Zapping troublesome monsters ie: R, L, n, e (if some how you find a /oC before a source of blindness)
uncursing a lot of things at once
uncursing your BoH without the possibility of loosing stuff while getting holy water/?oRC
blanking junk scrolls and potions in bulk

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Argon_Sloth posted:

I don't think I've ever ascended at a level higher than 18.

I tried going to level 30 exactly once, when I played a Priest and ate all the wraiths on the Quest. The Quest nemesis used Summon Nasties. Look down this list of monsters and imagine a big open level just completely full of them.

Actually it's one of the most fun fights I've ever had in NetHack, as my character was strong enough to hold out for a long time. (Which probably means I had genocided a few things, but I don't remember.) But it was really too much for me. Would not recommend this to anyone trying to win the game.

edit: In addition to what ..btt said, levels increase your max HP. The people I've heard recommend going to level 30 mostly recommend it because at that point when you try to gain a level your max HP will continue going up though your level is capped. But there are easier ways to break the HP system if that's all you want so I don't really understand this, unless you want the fun of getting in these crazy fights and actually winning them.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 5, 2012

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Argon_Sloth posted:

As for cancellation wands, they are too useful to throw away.

See, I know well the uses of a /oC (and usually play with interhack so they're very obvious by eye). I still throw them away the second I identify them.

Hell, one of my 2 post-castle deaths was because I tried to use a /oC I had just found to uncurse my BoH then promptly forgot about it and blew it up 5 turns later. I suppose I am a goon so at least I have an excuse for being bad at video games :(

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The only class I'd ever recommend taking to level 30 is a Wizard, because I'm pretty sure that MM damage scales based upon level.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

SeaTard posted:

The only class I'd ever recommend taking to level 30 is a Wizard, because I'm pretty sure that MM damage scales based upon level.

Also they're one of the only classes that might legitimately have a use for that many skill points. Though I'm still not sure it's reason enough.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Wizards basically stomp once they get Magicbane and can carve infinite Elbereths, and then stomp more when they get Finger of Death. It's getting to that point that's the problem.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

..btt posted:

See, I know well the uses of a /oC (and usually play with interhack so they're very obvious by eye). I still throw them away the second I identify them.

Hell, one of my 2 post-castle deaths was because I tried to use a /oC I had just found to uncurse my BoH then promptly forgot about it and blew it up 5 turns later. I suppose I am a goon so at least I have an excuse for being bad at video games :(

Knight too, since Magic Mirror of Merlin doubles Magic Missile's damage, you're doing something like 15d6 x2 at level 30 with a single magic missile.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

Wizards basically stomp once they get Magicbane and can carve infinite Elbereths, and then stomp more when they get Finger of Death. It's getting to that point that's the problem.

Yeah that's the thing, why make winning more complicated in an effort to power up WIZARDS of all things? If you're just trying to have fun that's one thing but otherwise it's just so unnecessary.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I love levelling up to 30 because I dig seeing my title change every couple of levels. That being said, I've never been over level 18 or 19 or something when I ascended.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Tourists are good casters especially at higher XP levels, and it's not that hard to get them to 30 if you're patient. You're guaranteed at least 2 foocubi on the quest, plus some wraiths.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Devonaut posted:

Tourists are good casters especially at higher XP levels, and it's not that hard to get them to 30 if you're patient. You're guaranteed at least 2 foocubi on the quest, plus some wraiths.

What's so important to cast that you couldn't do with your giant inexhaustible pile of wands? Surely this again qualifies as making life more complicated than it needs to be? Unless you just can't bear the endgame without magic mapping.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

McNerd posted:

Unless you just can't bear the endgame without magic mapping.

To be fair, that's not a bad reason.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Fungah! posted:

To be fair, that's not a bad reason.

Write magic mapping scrolls then!

I'm never particularly concerned about level beyond getting to 14 for the quest. If you need HP it's easier to get it via alchemy or nurse dancing than it is levelling up. The extra Pw is nice for casters but far from necessary. I wouldn't actively avoid levelling though, if there's a wraith corpse I'm gonna eat it.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

..btt posted:

Yeah, see, this is why it was a derp. I had potions of levitation, wands of striking, and scrolls of earth. I left every single one in that bag I blew up. I'd forgotten that Medusa and Castle were both no-teleport, and had been relying on my teleportitis/teleport control combo to get around obstacles. I had a pickaxe and broke open every statue-nothing. My last desperate hope was that apparently the blessed Bell of Opening could open a drawbridge...but mine was uncursed, and I had no holy water. Worse, apparently a confused scroll of remove curse could have pulled off blessing it for me on an outside chance...except go me, I'd reread my spellbook of detect monsters for what I recall now as being a non-existent reason, and so lacked on demand confusion.

Oh well, time to give it all another shot.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

Trasson posted:

Yeah, see, this is why it was a derp. I had potions of levitation, wands of striking, and scrolls of earth. I left every single one in that bag I blew up. I'd forgotten that Medusa and Castle were both no-teleport, and had been relying on my teleportitis/teleport control combo to get around obstacles. I had a pickaxe and broke open every statue-nothing. My last desperate hope was that apparently the blessed Bell of Opening could open a drawbridge...but mine was uncursed, and I had no holy water. Worse, apparently a confused scroll of remove curse could have pulled off blessing it for me on an outside chance...except go me, I'd reread my spellbook of detect monsters for what I recall now as being a non-existent reason, and so lacked on demand confusion.

Oh well, time to give it all another shot.
Jumping is usually sufficient to get across the Medusa level. My favourite method is a /oCold

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

So this recent thread activity encouraged me to fire up my old extinctionist save. I'm not sure if I'm ever going to finish, but here it is at just shy of 152k turns.

http://pastebin.com/sc22s62h

(I tried pasting the text in here, but the forum keeps munging it and turning it into html &codes, probably because I'm using the colorhack patch)

I'm not sure what happened to one of the boulders in the altar circle, but I guess I need to fix that. I think I'm pretty much done with summoning everything that can be summoned in Minetown, so the next step to do was to head down to Mine's End, and see what shows up there. It was a lot of fun at first, but definitely got boring. I think this save is about 4 years old at this point, maybe even older.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Argon_Sloth posted:

Jumping is usually sufficient to get across the Medusa level. My favourite method is a /oCold

Guess what else I lacked! You see why I felt so stupid when I dug down to the Castle level.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

SeaTard posted:

So this recent thread activity encouraged me to fire up my old extinctionist save. I'm not sure if I'm ever going to finish, but here it is at just shy of 152k turns.

http://pastebin.com/sc22s62h

(I tried pasting the text in here, but the forum keeps munging it and turning it into html &codes, probably because I'm using the colorhack patch)

pre:
Hello Arcana, the elven Wizard, welcome back to NetHack!

##############################                        ┌──────··──┐
           ########################### # #                    ###▒··········│
           #            ┌─┬──┬──┬──·─·──·─·┬──┬──┬──┬··─┐     ###···········│
                        │····│··│·······▒·····│··│··+····########·······<···│
                        │·│)·│·············│··)·········│#      #·*·········│
                        │·└──┴▒·┴·─┘·····──········─┘···▒#     ##·─·──────·─┘
                 #      │·······························│#      # #      ##
                 #      │·┌▒─·──┬▒─┐·············)······│#       #       #
           ┌······    ##▒·│··│··│··│········000000······│#      # ########
           │···)%%##%###│·│··│··│··│········0000000·····│### ┌─·──·────·
           │····)·     #│··──┴▒─┴··┘········(0_0000·[···│# ##│·········│
           │··))·)####%#│···················00(0000······####··········│
           │)···(·     #··┌────┬·──┬────┐···0000000·····$# # │·········│
           │······     #│·│····│···│····│···000000·······#0  │·········│
           │·····)######│·▒····│···│····▒··2············│#   └─────────┘
           └─────┘   # #│·│····│···│(··2│·····(·········$#
                     ###│·└────┴───┴────┘····0··········│#####0#0#########
                       #······················0·········$######0###**#**#####
                       #└──────────────────····@···─────┘                  ##

Arcana the Mage           St:18 Dx:21 Co:16 In:20 Wi:20 Ch:15  Chaotic
Dlvl:7  $:0  HP:755(755) Pw:788(1132) AC:-68 Exp:30 T:151810
Use [pre] :ssh:

e: -68AC and 755HP? :stare: The game is a joke by then

fits fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Nov 7, 2012

DarkSun6890
Sep 16, 2005
The Magic Turkey Sandwich Box and I
How can I play nethack on my kindle? I just got a paperwhite, but also have a kindle keyboard. I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

fits posted:

Use [pre] :ssh:

e: -68AC and 755HP? :stare: The game is a joke by then

Ah, thanks. I tried used code and quote, didn't know about pre.

And yes, when you're over 150k turns into a game, you end up with a lot of prayer gifts. I've probably spent 80 or 90k turns at the mine town altar killing, saccing, and praying. At the rate things are going I wouldn't be surprised if it took 500k turns to finish extincting everything.

edit: I can't actually get the drat [pre] code to work properly, so here is a text output of my hilarious gear. It's all whatever I've happened to pick up as loot, so it's a mishmash of stuff that covers the basics (free action, reflection, MR, MC3). Oh, and the blessed tin of nurse meat is an incredible thing. Works just like a potion of full healing, and as an elf doesn't count as cannibalism. I like keeping a blessed tinning kit to tin things like nurses, floating eyes, and the various dragons.

Amulets
h - an uncursed amulet of life saving
I - the blessed Eye of the Aethiopica
Y - an uncursed amulet of reflection (being worn)
Weapons
a - the blessed rustproof +2 Magicbane (weapon in hand)
Armor
g - an uncursed fireproof +2 cornuthaum (being worn)
C - a blessed +4 Hawaiian shirt (being worn)
F - an uncursed +0 cloak of magic resistance (being worn)
G - an uncursed fireproof +0 pair of water walking boots (being worn)
Q - a blessed +3 pair of gauntlets of dexterity (being worn)
V - an uncursed +0 black dragon scale mail (being worn)
Comestibles
q - a blessed tin of nurse meat
P - an uncursed lizard corpse
Rings
i - an uncursed ring of free action (on right hand)
R - an uncursed ring of conflict
X - an uncursed ring of slow digestion (on left hand)
Tools
c - a blessed tinning kit (0:68)
d - an uncursed stethoscope
n - an uncursed magic lamp (lit)
w - a blessed +0 unicorn horn
x - an uncursed blindfold
z - a blessed greased bag of holding
Gems
f - a blessed luckstone
(end)

DarkSun6890 posted:

How can I play nethack on my kindle? I just got a paperwhite, but also have a kindle keyboard. I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner.

I think the Kindle runs Android, this is what I use on my phone.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nethackff

DarkSun6890
Sep 16, 2005
The Magic Turkey Sandwich Box and I
You're thinking of the Kindle fire. I have the eink screen not an LCD.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Yeah, nethack on a black & white screen. Can't think of any problems with that.

h

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.

JawnV6 posted:

Yeah, nethack on a black & white screen. Can't think of any problems with that.

h

It's not as bad as you make it out to be, you just have to be a _little_ bit more careful. / (or was it ; i forget) is your friend.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

waloo posted:

It's not as bad as you make it out to be, you just have to be a _little_ bit more careful. / (or was it ; i forget) is your friend.

I think it's ;. There's a few different commands to look around though (like hitting : after ; gives you more information I think?)

Either way that's why I play with tiles.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Don't forget your buddies D,L and R. Especially end game R, My poor Greyswandir :(

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I just threw away an almost certain ascension.

At least it wasn't a death. Went up the stairs on level 1 without double checking that I had the amulet in my possession. It was probably stolen when Orcus(read a cursed teleport scroll) and the wizard teamed up on me on DLvl 8.

Anime is great!
Sep 14, 2007

4 Months isn't necromancy, if there is a new thread I'm sorry, but google throws this thread up pretty high on a "nethack forums" search.

Anyway, I've been playing this game as a work distraction for years and finally got more serious about it recently. I have killed the castle for the first time and next will be my first try at any quest. I'm a Valk, of course, and I was wondering if anybody had any good after the castle pointers for me? I would like to keep genoless and there are too many artifacts so arti wishless is going to happen.

Three specific ascension questions: Do I have to fireproof lev boots for lev if I have fire resistance? Do I have to have a ring of conflict? Do I have to have a ring of free action?

I'm Blargius001 on NAO just sitting idle thinking about not dying

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Anime is great! posted:

Do I have to fireproof lev boots for lev if I have fire resistance? Do I have to have a ring of conflict? Do I have to have a ring of free action?

1. No. Levitation boots don't need to be fireproofed. They can be damaged by fire and lose 1 point of AC but that is meaningless and they won't be destroyed. If you want to walk on lava with water walking boots you'll need to fireproof those though.
2. It's not mandatory but it's amazingly useful in the endgame areas. I always use it if I can.
3. It's very good because it will save you from being frozen for a couple of turns by a thrown potion of paralysis but it's not mandatory. It's probably less useful if you have conflict to keep monsters from attacking you in the first place.

And some general pointers:

* The bottom level of the valk quest has two drawbridges. They are the slightly brownish dots north and south of the central chamber. Be careful around them because they can be destroyed and kill you in the process. The safest option is to blow them up from long distance and levitate in there.
* When high end monsters disappear after a few hits they are teleporting to the upstairs to heal. If you can get to the stairs before them they can't run away or escape.
* Keep the orb of fate in your main inventory once you finish the quest. It grants half damage which makes it almost impossible to die of HP loss, even if it is annoyingly heavy.

Good luck!

Anime is great!
Sep 14, 2007

Thanks! Hopefully all my stuff doesn't burn up in da quest. Gonna make sure I have stuff and thet get going.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.

Anime is great! posted:

I'm a Valk, of course, and I was wondering if anybody had any good after the castle pointers for me? I would like to keep genoless and there are too many artifacts so arti wishless is going to happen.

Contra Duck has you covered in terms of your questions and generally good Quest advice. My 2 zorkmids would be to try not to get too bored/frustrated with gehennom. It might get repetitive.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

On that note, I always go in with as much Magic Mapping as humanly possible, just to save a little time there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

DeathChicken posted:

For real I've never ever been able to play a wizard successfully and I ascend using things like healers archeologists and tourists all the time I have no idea what I am doing wrong. For years and years now I've been trying off and on to ascend a wizard and the closest I've ever gotten was 5 years (!) ago when I got a lucky early wish.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Feb 21, 2013

• Locked thread