Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Yeah, I would say one of the strengths of this game is how easily moddable it is, and the fact that the devs encourage the modding community to the point that they give some (limited) support to the modders and have even released some basic modding tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
As well as hired a modder. That's pretty awesome.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Yeah, SCS seem to be the Paradox Interactive of truck simulators.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Kilonum posted:

Yeah, SCS seem to be the Paradox Interactive of truck simulators.

But the tutorial of ETS2 worked fine :confused:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

To be fair, the tutorial in CK2 didn't get broken until the first expansion DLC and its associated patch (which changed some core gameplay mechanics) was released. And every expansion DLC/patch since has broken it further to the point the best tutorial for that game is "Start as a random independent count, leave the tips turned on"

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 6, 2014

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Thanks that was very thorough.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*
They updated the World of Trucks site, and I checked it out for the first time in a long time.
Turns out they gave me a free copy of the Metallic Paint Jobs pack, which I had already bought.

First come first serve:

MKDKJ-ZJ4E7-J5LBL

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
This month it is exactly a year ago that I got ETS2 + the Going East DLC on a Steam sale for 15 eurobucks. Since then, it has caused me to buy the following:

A gear shifter for my racing wheel. I've played racing sims for some years, but I never bothered to get a stick shifter because I have always just used paddle shifters. But just for ETS2 I decided I would like to drive around with a proper shifter.

A TrackIR. Because I thought, well, I can use it for racing sims too, but mostly it would be fun to have in ETS2 (also because FreeTrackNoIR got me a bit hooked on head tracking, but it never worked properly in low light).

Access to the Elite: Dangerous Beta, because, well, now I had the TrackIR, so it could be fun to play space trucker and gawk at planets.

A HOTAS, because my crappy old joystick wasn't that fun to use in Elite.

A flight sim (X-plane) plus payware add-ons. Because, well, now I had a TrackIR and a HOTAS, and X-plane was 33% off on Steam recently, so...

And finally: Rosetta Stone access to learn French, because I have been driving in ETS2 while listening to Hotmix Radio and other French internet radio stations for quite a while now, and now I really want to learn French.

So all that extra gear, and those additional games, and a possible new language, just because I spent 15 Euros on a lorry driving sim on a whim a year ago.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
http://blog.scssoft.com/2014/10/raise-your-wheels.html

Neat.

*edit*
Also this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9w7rc0WLOs

tehsid fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 8, 2014

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
Holy poo poo I never thought lifting truck tires would be something I'm hyped about but god drat I want.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Somebody's got to go back to 2012 and make a 360 NO SCOPE remix of this.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Howard Beale posted:

Somebody's got to go back to 2012 and make a 360 NO SCOPE remix of this.

Someone should do this anyways since I still giggle like an idiot at those youtubes.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Someone should do this anyways since I still giggle like an idiot at those youtubes.

Ha. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Yeah, I still watch the Farm Sim one from time to time for a laugh

for the uninitiated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEJHrmliVQw

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Can a smart person tell me what this is used for?

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

csidle posted:

Better fuel efficiency, when the truck is running without a trailer or the trailer is empty it will raise the wheel. When extra traction is required when it is pulling a heavy load the wheel can be dropped.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Reduces wear and tear on the tires when you don't need those axles anyway, because you're not carrying a heavy load. The devs indicated they want tire wear to be more realistic in the future, so a feature like this will allow you to save some money.

I guess you could also use it to increase traction when you need it, by spreading the weight on fewer wheels. Not sure that's how it's supposed to be used.

Edit: Now I don't know about traction anymore. But preventing tire wear is the main attraction.

Stick Insect fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 9, 2014

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I hope that tire wear will be an optional addition. I mean fuel consumption is one thing, but tire wear will add unnecessary busywork. You can turn off fatigue if you want, and you don't NEED to park your trailer instead concentrating on driving and sometimes getting gas.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
As it is tire wear is kinda modelled, I wheels will take damage with just regular driving. If it's reasonable from a game play standpoint, I'd be all for tire wear, it might even make owning garages around the continent worth something (other than raw income)

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Kilonum posted:

Yeah, I still watch the Farm Sim one from time to time for a laugh

for the uninitiated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEJHrmliVQw

Never knew about that one, i've only seen the train sim one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rulElJITIVY

I dont see how adding tyre wear would add extra work, seeing as truck tyres usualy last way longer than a normal car tyre would. What would be neat is having tyre failures due to damage etc. Although it would more likely be an optional thing going by all the other realism tweaks added to the game.

The current tyre damage thing is a bit dumb and seems kinda redundant as nothing happens to your wheels if they reach 100% damage anyway.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

IAmTheRad posted:

I hope that tire wear will be an optional addition. I mean fuel consumption is one thing, but tire wear will add unnecessary busywork. You can turn off fatigue if you want, and you don't NEED to park your trailer instead concentrating on driving and sometimes getting gas.

Sure, keep it as an option, but for me ETS2 has basically gotten to the point where additional things to keep track of and add some variety to the day-to-day would be very welcome. Additional cargo and routes DLC/mods can only add so much to the base experience. While I don't think turning ETS2 into a true-to-life business sim is a good idea adding some more options to edge is closer to that if one wants to can only improve it I think.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

csidle posted:

In addition to what the others said, when you go around the corner with two fixed axles, some or all of the tires are going to be scraping sideways across the ground. Lift one of them up and now you're not sliding any tires sideways.

In the US it's generally a third axle that is lifted. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axle#Lift_axle

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Erwin posted:

In the US it's generally a third axle that is lifted. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axle#Lift_axle

When I read that article earlier this week I was surprised to learn that all those extra wheels on dump trucks were liftable. Seriously. Mind blown.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

dupersaurus posted:

When I read that article earlier this week I was surprised to learn that all those extra wheels on dump trucks were liftable. Seriously. Mind blown.

I rarely, if ever, see it in action though and I live in construction-booming Alberta with non-stop dump trucks and semis. lovely/lazy drivers or are the benefits not so great that if you're making enough coin you don't care?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

dupersaurus posted:

Youve never seen a dump truck with its axel raised I see em all the time.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

tater_salad posted:

Youve never seen a dump truck with its axel raised I see em all the time.

I almost always see them raised, I just never made the connection that they can also go down (which is a lot rarer to see).

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Got this game recently. Pretty fun. 12 hours so far, I first started with a 360 controller because I didn't want to set up my wheel, but now that I have my wheel all this shifting is pretty intense. As someone who has never driven a manual in real life, for realism should I not skip gears? Like if I reach 85 km/h in 9th ill skip up to 11th gear to cruise. Or sometimes driving around town with no trailer I will just be in 7th and 8th gear. I also haven't really dealt with low and high range in real life, so I don't really know the differences with that. I've just been using left paddle to switch my shifter from 1-6 to 7-12.

Also whats the deal with turning right on red lights? I had it work fine the first few times, but now it just says red light infraction every time I try it.

Lastly the exit signage seems to be inconsistent. I never know if the right lane is exit only, or if there will be a turnoff from the lane. I don't understand most of the signs anyway. (I am from the USA)

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I thought it was fine to skip gears since you don't always need all of them, especially when you don't have a trailer.

By shifting at the right moment you can reach higher speeds a bit sooner. The green areas on the RPM gauge only indicate which RPMs give the best fuel economy, you can go beyond them a little before shifting.

Don't turn right on a red light. That's not a legal thing in Europe. Maybe except for cyclists.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Skwee posted:

Got this game recently. Pretty fun. 12 hours so far, I first started with a 360 controller because I didn't want to set up my wheel, but now that I have my wheel all this shifting is pretty intense. As someone who has never driven a manual in real life, for realism should I not skip gears? Like if I reach 85 km/h in 9th ill skip up to 11th gear to cruise. Or sometimes driving around town with no trailer I will just be in 7th and 8th gear. I also haven't really dealt with low and high range in real life, so I don't really know the differences with that. I've just been using left paddle to switch my shifter from 1-6 to 7-12.

Also whats the deal with turning right on red lights? I had it work fine the first few times, but now it just says red light infraction every time I try it.

Lastly the exit signage seems to be inconsistent. I never know if the right lane is exit only, or if there will be a turnoff from the lane. I don't understand most of the signs anyway. (I am from the USA)

I think it's fine to skip gears. You'd do it less in a normal car that only has five gears, but real truckers skip gears, although they may have to double clutch to do it. (Actually a lot of modern trucks these days are automatic or semi-automatic, but as long as you have a clutch and shifter, you might as well use it). I've switched to using the splitter setup since skipping up or down two gears is usually fine RPM-wise and it's a lot more convenient, and I can always toggle if I really need 8th or 10th gear for some reason. Maybe less realistic, but at some level I'm prepared to sacrifice a LITTLE realism for less tedium, and I'm already going an extra step with using a clutch and shifter. Driving with the splitter setup is close to driving stick in a car, since you pretty much have five gears that you'll actually use.

Turning right on red isn't considered legal anywhere in the game as far as I know, although if you cut across the sidewalk or in the opposite lane the game doesn't know when you run a red.

Yes on the exit signs being inconsistent, I'm not sure if that's actually how it is in Europe or if the game is just not always right on the signage. I tend to get over whenever there's any doubt on what the exit lane is doing. The only other sign that isn't used in the US but is useful to know is the white sign with the diagonal slash through it, which means "national speed limit okay" -- which explains why sometimes you'll have a slower speed limit area and then never see a sign setting it back to the normal speed limit, it's the diagonal slash that changes it back. Although that's less of an issue now that you can have the speed limit on your GPS.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Thanks for the info guys. Also I always wondered what that diagonal white slash sign meant, I thought it might mean that passing was okay since it showed up pretty often where the lines stopped being solid.

I think I might change the shifter to the split mode, sounds easier to drive now that I think about it like that

Also what is the time scale? Is it based on the speed you are moving or something?

Last I am curious about a few of the gameplay options. Automatic retarder, exhaust brake, then air brakes simulation and realistic fuel consumption.

Skwee fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 14, 2014

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Time in cities is 1:1
Time on highway is probably something like 1:15-1:30

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Yeah that's kind of the impression I got of it. Thanks.

Also I tried out split mode and I kept shifting way wrong. I think I will stick with range mode...

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

tater_salad posted:

Time in cities is 1:1
Time on highway is probably something like 1:15-1:30
Highway distance and time are compressed to 1/20th scale. To test this yourself, find one of the signs indicating services in X meters and note your current mileage. When you pass the exit for the stop, look at your mileage again and compare the distance traveled with however many hundred meters from the sign. You can also look at the clock while on the highway: one hour of in-game time elapses in three minutes real time.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So like I said 15x-30x.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Skwee posted:

Thanks for the info guys. Also I always wondered what that diagonal white slash sign meant, I thought it might mean that passing was okay since it showed up pretty often where the lines stopped being solid.

Last I am curious about a few of the gameplay options. Automatic retarder, exhaust brake, then air brakes simulation and realistic fuel consumption.

Diagonal white slash sign means national speed limit, which is normaly the fastest one. It will be higher on motorways than on single lane roads usualy depending on the country.

Retarder is the gearbox brake which works better at higher revs, so does the exhaust brake. Just assign them to some keys/buttons and get used to using them to slow you down instead of using the service brake. Always helped by dropping a gear or two at the same time.

Air brake simulation is for the normal service brake, which you can potentialy run out of compressed air to power the system if you use it too much or you damage your truck. This will result on you having to wait a while for the airpressure to come back up. It rarely ever becomes a problem unless you constantly smash your truck up.

Realistic fuel consuption is pretty much was it says, you can burn a tonne more fuel by being in the wrong gear, leaving it in cruise control going up a hill or just flogging the crap out of the engine. If you press the I key most trucks show a fuel consumption meter on the incab display.

Solomon Chumby
Dec 31, 2012

track day bro! posted:

Air brake simulation is for the normal service brake, which you can potentialy run out of compressed air to power the system if you use it too much or you damage your truck. This will result on you having to wait a while for the airpressure to come back up. It rarely ever becomes a problem unless you constantly smash your truck up.

I've noticed that my air pressure often ends up too low if I park, put the truck in neutral, then shut off the engine and rest. When I wake up, I'll have to wait for it to come back before I can start driving. But this doesn't happen if I leave the truck in gear when I shut off the engine.

Is that based on anything from reality? It seems weird to me that it even allows you to turn off the engine while geared up.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
In case you guys were wondering wtf is up with the speed limits in ETS when driving in France, it's the same IRL; the loving limit seems to change every 500m or so.

I got flashed by a speed camera just outside Lyon because I missed the single sign amongst many that said I needed to slow down to 80 for 20 seconds. I kinda wish RL worked like the game because I have no idea how much this is going to cost me once the rental company calls to demand it's pound of flesh.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Solomon Chumby posted:

I've noticed that my air pressure often ends up too low if I park, put the truck in neutral, then shut off the engine and rest. When I wake up, I'll have to wait for it to come back before I can start driving. But this doesn't happen if I leave the truck in gear when I shut off the engine.

Is that based on anything from reality? It seems weird to me that it even allows you to turn off the engine while geared up.

You're supposed to use the parking break, iirc.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

More ATS screenshots and a hint that the public beta of 1.14 is coming soon.

http://blog.scssoft.com/2014/10/114-update-news-and-across-desert-in.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
What's up with the people on top of the train?

• Locked thread