Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

ChickenHeart posted:

Also of interest is Michael Biehn's podcast appearance about Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, where he comments a bit on Colonial Marines:

This is pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Amazon digital download of Colonial Marines is on sale for one day only for $12. :f5:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

This is pretty great.

Honestly I lost interest after the third time Biehn was like "Yeah, uhhh. . . Errr. . I dunno, he was just crazy."

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Xenomrph posted:

Amazon digital download of Colonial Marines is on sale for one day only for $12. :f5:

The sale also applies to the A:CM Season pass (USD14.99, down from USD29.99) and the Bug Hunt DLC (USD9.99, down from USD18.99). However, while the single player game may have some redeeming qualities that make buying it for $12 justifyable, there are no reasons to buy the season pass, and especially no reason to buy the Bug Hunt DLC unless you already have a group of three friends who have and play it and need a fourth (and even then I'd just say wait until Aliens VS Predator 2010 goes on sale for like $3 as it is wont to do and then just buy your friends and yourself a copy for slightly more).

E: Oh it seems the A:CM sale has ended and it's back up to $24. Welp, if you really need Aliens go play AvP2010 or go find a Half Life mod or something.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 17, 2013

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yeah Aliens and the DLC was half the prices you quoted just an hour ago. You missed an incredible deal*

*not really

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 10:04 on May 17, 2013

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

What really kills me is that every time there is a sale for this game that everyone thinks is the smelliest dogshit, there's still posting about it.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

What really kills me is that every time there is a sale for this game that everyone thinks is the smelliest dogshit, there's still posting about it.
Don't be so hard on poor xenomrph, he's still coping.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Don't be so hard on poor xenomrph, he's still coping.
Nah, I just thought the sale was hilarious, that's why I linked it.

For the small modicum of actual genuine enjoyment I get from the game (and I still don't regret buying it, and I still think the little powerloader statue is cool as heck - I just wish that moment had actually been in the game) what saddens me the most is just the sheer squandered potential.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

I'll get it when its 5 bucks, honestly. At that point I'm willing to see what a trainwreck it is.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

Nah, I just thought the sale was hilarious, that's why I linked it.

Same reason I posted about the Season Pass and Bug Hunt. I can maybe kinda justify buying A:CM since I thought it was kinda fun and has been improved significantly from release, but the Season Pass is only going to get you multiplayer content for a multiplayer nobody plays (ditto on the Bug Hunt DLC alone) with maybe a single player DLC to come out later that at best will be more of the same as the A:CM campaign.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I'll get it when its 5 bucks, honestly. At that point I'm willing to see what a trainwreck it is.

I won't pay $5 for it unless it's the GOTY edition :colbert:

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

meat gnome posted:

Yeah, lemme add the caveat there that it'll be Christmas and the GOTY edition when all the DLC is out.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Sometimes bad games are fun because they are bad (when cheap enough). See also Bad Rats.

I mean we're talking about a film series with awful films in equal measure to good/decent ones.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

DrProsek posted:

Same reason I posted about the Season Pass and Bug Hunt. I can maybe kinda justify buying A:CM since I thought it was kinda fun and has been improved significantly from release, but the Season Pass is only going to get you multiplayer content for a multiplayer nobody plays (ditto on the Bug Hunt DLC alone) with maybe a single player DLC to come out later that at best will be more of the same as the A:CM campaign.
To be fair there will be campaign DLC in one of the upcoming DLC packs, and the "season pass" at rock-bottom sale prices might actually be the better buy - it might be cheaper to get the Season Pass on sale specifically for the upcoming campaign DLC and then never touch the multiplayer content, rather than wait for the campaign DLC and buy it separately at "full price".

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
No. This game provides negative enjoyment, meaning that the time you spend playing this game could be better spent playing daikatana.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Yeah, that plus I still want it for my collection of Aliens stuff. Unlike Xenomrph, even though I like to collect everything with Aliens branding I still wait to see if it's poo poo :v:

On the plus side, I learned about Aliens Infestation from this thread and it was very good, especially at the $10 bargain bin price I found it at.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

blackguy32 posted:

No. This game provides negative enjoyment, meaning that the time you spend playing this game could be better spent playing daikatana.
I honestly think that Daikatana was a better release than DNF or CM.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BattleMaster posted:

On the plus side, I learned about Aliens Infestation from this thread and it was very good, especially at the $10 bargain bin price I found it at.
I finally figured out how to reconcile Colonial Marines and Infestation (which were meant to be essentially simultaneous releases and "sister" games, back before A:CM got completely overhauled and no longer resembles Infestation at all) because I'm a continuity nerd with way too much time on my hands. :suicide:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Palpek posted:

It's like that moment where you realize that driving backwards in a big donut as fast as possible in Big Rigs might be more fun than Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!

Palpek posted:

You have a terrible memory, DNF and ACM as poo poo as they are just aren't as horribly broken as Daikatana.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

blackguy32 posted:

Daikatana coop was pretty fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS2CAhRhUYY

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Cardboard Box A posted:

Daikatana coop was pretty fun

Accept no substitutes.

http://lparchive.org/Daikatana/

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Sadly, with the disappearance of the videos on Google Video, the videos created by Proteus and Co. are lost to the internet; so much suffering for this work and yet it disappeared into the ether as easily and softly as the morning dew.

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

Wales Grey posted:

Sadly, with the disappearance of the videos on Google Video, the videos created by Proteus and Co. are lost to the internet; so much suffering for this work and yet it disappeared into the ether as easily and softly as the morning dew.

They are available for download at http://archive.org/details/LP_Daikatana.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

meat gnome posted:

Gorman of the year.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Deleuzionist posted:

Gorman of the year.

YAWAA (of the year)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
There isn't exactly a Duke thread bustling with activity but "fans" of Gearbox may find this interesting:
http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/13/4426874/duke-nukem-creator-sues-gearbox-software-for-unpaid-royalties

Apogee says Gearbox still owes them $2 million in royalties. :shepface:

Anyways it's interesting in that Gearbox has called this entire claim total bullshit but in their statement refers to DNF now as "3DR's game," just like how Aliens became not their game suddenly too!

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 13, 2013

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Just yesterday i saw someone reiterate the same old trite "guys dont blame gearbox for A:CM or DNF, those were totally outsourced and the other studios fuckups" so people are still swallowing that narrative hook line and sinker.

Someone actually taking them to court for this bullshit would be a very pleasant change of pace.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Boycotts don't really work but I don't feel well disposed to buying any more Gearbox products. Randy seems like a deeply unpleasant person and someone to avoid doing business with at all costs.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Boycotts don't really work but I don't feel well disposed to buying any more Gearbox products. Randy seems like a deeply unpleasant person and someone to avoid doing business with at all costs.

I don't care whether they "work" or not, I just make sure I have exactly zero Gearbox products in my home at a given time because they seem like a terrible company run by a jerk. If I could gift away the Opposing Force I have on Steam or the Borderlands I have on PSN via old sales/PSN Plus I'd do that too. I luckily skipped spending money on Colonial Marines because of how poor all the preview footage looked earlier in the thread and I'm never going to give money to anything with Gearbox's name on it again. Even if this most recent stuff didn't happen, just the situation regarding Borderlands' artstyle and the asset theft for Borderlands 2 alone guarantees I will never give them money ever.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 13, 2013

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Just yesterday i saw someone reiterate the same old trite "guys dont blame gearbox for A:CM or DNF, those were totally outsourced and the other studios fuckups" so people are still swallowing that narrative hook line and sinker.

Someone actually taking them to court for this bullshit would be a very pleasant change of pace.

A lot of people don't really understand how subcontracting for big projects works so they think the prime contractor is somehow absolving themselves of responsibility beyond "whoops guess we got screwed over by a lying subcontractor!"

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Fallom posted:

A lot of people don't really understand how subcontracting for big projects works so they think the prime contractor is somehow absolving themselves of responsibility beyond "whoops guess we got screwed over by a lying subcontractor!"

Randy sure gets unlucky a lot eh?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

All I know is if you're ever "surprised" by the work a subcontractor is doing you deserve whatever scorn you get and ought to treat it like you've personally screwed up the work yourself.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

There isn't exactly a Duke thread bustling with activity but "fans" of Gearbox may find this interesting:
http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/13/4426874/duke-nukem-creator-sues-gearbox-software-for-unpaid-royalties

Apogee says Gearbox still owes them $2 million in royalties. :shepface:

Anyways it's interesting in that Gearbox has called this entire claim total bullshit but in their statement refers to DNF now as "3DR's game," just like how Aliens became not their game suddenly too!

Well if you spend over a decade on a game I think you won't be able to disassociate yourself with it, no matter what you do. I don't know how much work gearbox put into shipping DNF but it's most certainly less than 3D Realms.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lord Lambeth posted:

Well if you spend over a decade on a game I think you won't be able to disassociate yourself with it, no matter what you do. I don't know how much work gearbox put into shipping DNF but it's most certainly less than 3D Realms.

Gearbox picked up the license, slapped together the assets they were given, and pushed it out the door with their name on it in an effort to cash in easily on the massive pre-generated hype. They don't get to say "Oh it was 3DR's baby, not ours" because they are the ones who finished the game. It was their decision to buy into it and push out what they had even if it was hot smoking garbage just like it was their decision to subcontract Colonial Marines out and pillage its budget for Borderlands 2. They don't really get to shift blame here on any level.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I feel like they can shift blame on DNF because nothing was gonna live up to the expectations set for it. Colonial Marines is all on them though. At least DNF didn't get blatantly misleading advertising, from what I recall. It was more "hey this is macho sexist garbage, why don't you come have a slice".

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
The End Times have come, Aliens: Colonial Marines (and it's Season Pass) is 75% off at GetGamesGo.com. Play the most anticipated game of E3...

http://getgamesgo.com/product/aliens-colonial-marines - €12.49

http://getgamesgo.com/product/aliens-colonial-marines-season-pass - €7.49

Don't buy them, ever. I'm curious about this train-wreck and I'm still willing to wait about 3 more years till it's $5.

Also Aliens related, you can get Aliens vs Predator (2010 game) for 75% off as well at €3.74.
http://getgamesgo.com/product/aliens-vs-predator

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Has any DLC that isn't for multiplayer even been announced yet? Last I heard A:CM's regular deathmatch multiplayer was dead, I can't imagine the horde mode DLC is getting more attention. Even if the season pass was $1 I can't see a reason to get it because even if you were looking to get an Aliens game to play with your friends, because you can get 4 copies of AVP2010 with its free horde mode for less than a single copy of A:CM with season pass.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Have they even released all the DLC the people with the season pass payed for yet? Or announced?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

PowerBeard posted:

Also Aliens related, you can get Aliens vs Predator (2010 game) for 75% off as well at €3.74.
http://getgamesgo.com/product/aliens-vs-predator

Worth every cent.

• Locked thread