Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Illegal Username posted:

So enlighten me.

Is there any point to Parrying, apart from killing the black knights at low levels? It's just so goddamn finicky and sometimes the game just decides gently caress you, you failed and now you'll get stunlocked until you're dead.
It's just as easy to either A) circlestrafe people to death or B) Just block their attack and retaliate.

As far as i know bosses will just laugh at Parry attemps, just like those bullshit tracking attacks will kill you if you decide to dodge sideways
(endgame gameplay spoiler)the final boss is extremely vulnerable to parries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Mindblast posted:

Did you use the Knight as your starter? Because I did and I used a few points on dex(for wing spear testing), one in faith(for base heal miracle) and one on resistance(I know I know).

Hopefully that won't put me too far behind.

I also noticed I have the exact same ring setup as you. poo poo's sexy.
You'll be fine. You might be hitting 30 str/vit/end around 65 instead of 60, but it is all good.

15 dex really isn't wasted in a strength build either. 36 str/18 dex lets you use the black knight greataxe, which is pretty much one of the sweetest giant weapons. Trust me when I say that it is a weapon pretty much nobody is disappointed in once they use it. It is tough to get on a normal playthough though, unless you get lucky. You usually have to make it to the kiln in order to farm one. A zweihander or large club or other such thing works fine until then.

Of course, what with the DLC now, you could always do that after making it to the Kiln.

You can even use some charcoal resin to make yourself feel like more of a badass.

I've always loved the look of the black iron armor too. Along with elite knight, it feels like I am wearing actual armor. Too many other armors look bizarre, like Smeough's or Caterina.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 29, 2012

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Does anyone have any tips for beating Smough and Ornstein? I'm afraid to try them given how shittily kitted out I am. :ohdear: (I basically only beat the Iron Golem because Tarkus did literally everything, I couldn't do more than 40 damage to it per hit).

If it matters, these are my stats/gear: http://imgur.com/a/q2YMK

It's time to get a new weapon! I recommend grabbing a Scimitar or Falchion and upgrading it to +10 at Andre, then take it to the Giant Blacksmith and see what you can ascend it to.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
So is it worth starting a thief playthrough for some sweet parrying, or should I just play my wanderer alt until I find a parrying shield?

srb posted:

It's time to get a new weapon! I recommend grabbing a Scimitar or Falchion and upgrading it to +10 at Andre, then take it to the Giant Blacksmith and see what you can ascend it to.

Yep! Already working on it. I've gone back to Firelink/Darkroot to grind so I can buy the stuff I need to upgrade it. Also, so I can level up and boost my strength and stuff. The falchion is now level 6.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 29, 2012

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
TBH I feel like its better to just get good at parrying with a normal shield.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

So is it worth starting a thief playthrough for some sweet parrying, or should I just play my wanderer alt until I find a parrying shield?

You can parry with any medium or smaller shield, only Greatshields can't parry. The Targe shield or whatever it's called that the thief starts with just makes the parry window slightly larger.

Hell, you can even parry with your bare loving hand if you want to. But I think your equip weight will be taken up by your massive iron balls

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

TalonDemonKing posted:

You fall down a hole, he breaks open a wall and tells you to get lost. I don't understand your confusion; it makes perfect sense.

Ha. Vamos. I just got it.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yep! Already working on it. I've gone back to Firelink/Darkroot to grind so I can buy the stuff I need to upgrade it. Also, so I can level up and boost my strength and stuff. The falchion is now level 6.

You can get Large Titanite Shards in everyone's favourite place, Blighttown.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I managed to conquer the catacombs today at SL11 still and kill Pinwheel, what a pushover boss. But now I also managed to join the Gravelord Servants and get the kickass sword. Already helped out a lot of guys in the burg and parish. I decided to invade one as a red phantom for fun but did not kill him. Instead I returned and let myself get summoned by him to defeat the boss! Showing mercy can be rewarding too. :shobon:

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
When's the earliest I can learn a Pyromancy other than Fireball, or at least upgrade my Flame?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

redmercer posted:

When's the earliest I can learn a Pyromancy other than Fireball, or at least upgrade my Flame?

Once you rescue a certain NPC from the beginning section of the Depths.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The pyromancy trainer is in the depths. You need to kill the Capra Demon in the lower burg and get in there.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".
So I'm looking to finish up the Guardian Armor set in the DLC area and I've found everything but the chestpiece. Anyone know where it is?

good day for a bris fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 29, 2012

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Looks like Power Within was fixed. No matter what rank pyro hand you have, the life drain effect is the same. I can't speak for the damage increase, but I imagine that remains constant, since everything was probably balanced around a % damage bonus, for a % life sacrifice.

Lingering Dragoncrest still slows the health drain in the same way is always did.

No matter what you do, however, life drain will always be 94% of your total health.

Drunken_Pirate
May 7, 2007
Finally made it out of Blighttown, climbed back up and made it to my unlit Firelink bonfire with 32k souls. Noticed someone sitting on the aquaduct where you can pick up some souls, failed the jump, fell, died.

Back to Blighttown! Yay..

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I'm still way behind reading this thread but I want to bitch about not being able to light a bonfire when you have a friendly phantom summoned. I'm in anor londo just before those archers and I get a nice dude who rocks everything up to the bonfire, lo and behold, I have made no progress because I can't light the drat fire. And, to top it off, I couldn't even try to get him killed off because he kept healing himself and pushing towards O+S. It was my first attempt at this section (I played it in the PS3 version) and I think I can get past it solo, but that is such an annoyance. Why was this dude trying to co-op O+S at the base of the rotating tower when there is a bonfire inside of the freaking castle?

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Drunken_Pirate posted:

Finally made it out of Blighttown, climbed back up and made it to my unlit Firelink bonfire with 32k souls. Noticed someone sitting on the aquaduct where you can pick up some souls, failed the jump, fell, died.

In the future, when making that jump, try taking your pants off.

Or shield, or something else with a lot of equip burden. It's very doable at under 50% but much much easier at under 25%.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
So, Darkwraith or sunbro, which one do you think is worth it more? I like the ability to invade people when I feel up to it so I really want to get into that covenant for once at least. Bro-oping others is very rewarding too though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Drunken_Pirate posted:

If you just rang the second bell and have the master key, there is a shortcut up the water-wheel next to the swamp bonfire, keep going up past the sewer bit with like, five dart dudes and a firekeeper soul, then go through the tunnel with the three barbarians and you will end up in the valley of the drakes. Cross the plank bridge, open the door, you're in New Londo, cross from your tower to the one next to it and take the lift up to Firelink. Be careful to summon the lift first rather than run off and die. :v:

srb posted:

You can get Large Titanite Shards in everyone's favourite place, Blighttown.

Ah, yeah, I know the place. Now to get back down there. :smith:

Crowetron posted:

You can parry with any medium or smaller shield, only Greatshields can't parry.

I know, I'm just wondering if it's worth starting a thief side-playthrough to parry everything because of the bandit knife and all.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Drunken_Pirate posted:

The easiest way to do that stupid loving thing is to drop down from above, then shimmy the sides (also that's doomhall guy who sells you poo poo) then shimmy the sides again and then just have to do ONE jump that you gently caress up.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Ah, yeah, I know the place. Now to get back down there. :smith:

I know, I'm just wondering if it's worth starting a thief side-playthrough to parry everything because of the bandit knife and all.

Blighttown swamp isn't actually bad if you have the Rusted Iron Ring, you can do a sweepthrough pretty quick.

As far as thief gear goes, though, you can farm for it pretty easy on the leadup to the Capra Demon which is just a couple hours into the game, so no biggy. You can get a rapier early on and use that until then.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How do you get back to the asylum?

It seems that raven left and his nest is still up there but I have no idea how to get up there...

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I hate boss fights in games. My choices at the moment seem to be to go to the roof of the church and slam my dick in the door against the gargoyles, to go down the bottom of the burg place and slam my dick in the door against the Chapra Demon, or to go through the garden bit and slam my dick in the door against the stupid moth thing.

Or go one of the other ways I haven't been yet and have my dick eaten in all new and interesting ways, and spat back in my face.

Still, it isn't all bad, at least I've reached the stage where I can reliably wipe the floor with black knights. And if I can get a handle on Crawl, this will soon be a walk in the park.

:allears::darksouls::allears:yeah you keep telling yourself that

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How do you get back to the asylum?

It seems that raven left and his nest is still up there but I have no idea how to get up there...
It involves jumping off the elevator up to the undead parish while it's heading up or down.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

It involves jumping off the elevator up to the undead parish while it's heading up or down.

Uh, there's no place to jump in the interim...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Are we thinking of the same elevator? Partway up one of the walls cuts away, you just jump out.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The elevators near the way of the white guys.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Are we thinking of the same elevator? Partway up one of the walls cuts away, you just jump out.

Oh okay. I'm probably just forgetting it.

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do

GreenBuckanneer posted:

There's an opening right before/after the entrance at firelink, just walk off onto the ledge and it will lead you to an easy jump (you can just roll off) and some stairs to climb.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

pogothemonkey0 posted:

I'm still way behind reading this thread but I want to bitch about not being able to light a bonfire when you have a friendly phantom summoned. I'm in anor londo just before those archers and I get a nice dude who rocks everything up to the bonfire, lo and behold, I have made no progress because I can't light the drat fire. And, to top it off, I couldn't even try to get him killed off because he kept healing himself and pushing towards O+S. It was my first attempt at this section (I played it in the PS3 version) and I think I can get past it solo, but that is such an annoyance. Why was this dude trying to co-op O+S at the base of the rotating tower when there is a bonfire inside of the freaking castle?

Black Soulstone.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Well after puttering around in a thief filled village for a while I found the Capra Demon. After a few deaths trying to dodge around in the crackerbox of the room I beat him, and I have two things to say/ask:

1) It goes against all logic I thought this game adhered to that it turns out you can block his attacks completely to no ill effect but massive stamina drain.

2) An orange message outside his room said "Weakness: Parrying". I figured it was trolling me into getting killed, but does it turn out that you can actually not only block his attacks, but parry them? The guy is wielding swords the size of a small house for pete's sake.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
They were trolling you.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cowcaster posted:

Well after puttering around in a thief filled village for a while I found the Capra Demon. After a few deaths trying to dodge around in the crackerbox of the room I beat him, and I have two things to say/ask:

1) It goes against all logic I thought this game adhered to that it turns out you can block his attacks completely to no ill effect but massive stamina drain

2) An orange message outside his room said "Weakness: Parrying". I figured it was trolling me into getting killed, but does it turn out that you can actually not only block his attacks, but parry them? The guy is wielding swords the size of a small house for pete's sake.
1. Later on you'll run into tons of giant enemies that you can block, if your shield's stability is high enough.

2. I'm told that you actually can parry his attacks in the sense that you won't get blockstunned, but can't riposte or anything.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

1) It goes against all logic I thought this game adhered to that it turns out you can block his attacks completely to no ill effect but massive stamina drain

I don't know what logic you're talking about because this is how blocking works against everything if your shield/endurance is good enough.

quote:

(2) An orange message outside his room said "Weakness: Parrying". I figured it was trolling me into getting killed, but does it turn out that you can actually not only block his attacks, but parry them? The guy is wielding swords the size of a small house for pete's sake.

You can parry or partially parry almost every attack in the game, although there's no point in doing it unless you can riposte.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Cowcaster posted:

1) It goes against all logic I thought this game adhered to that it turns out you can block his attacks completely to no ill effect but massive stamina drain.

1: most attacks can be blocked so long as your stamina and stability are good enough. You just wait and see what happens when something hits you harder than your stats can handle. It is also, not by a long shot, the craziest thing you can block. Prepare to be amazed.

2: as said, they were trolling. Expect that alot. You will find messages at cliff faces telling you to try and jump.

E:FB, holy poo poo.

Xuuel
Feb 20, 2010
So I think I accidentally found out a way to make the Artorias fight waaaay easier. (DLC boss spoilers obviously) If you headshot him with a bow while he's in his little "powering up" animation, not only does it cancel it, but it gets rid of any previous upgrades as well. Artorias is probably one of my favourite boss fights in the entire game, so I'm probably not gonna use this on further playthroughs if I can help it.

It helps so much I really have to wonder if it was intentional or not.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

TastyAvocado posted:

I don't know what logic you're talking about because this is how blocking works against everything if your shield/endurance is good enough.

The logic being "if it's bigger than your head, it will hurt you a lot".

So near the armored pig I killed way back, there was a spiral staircase leading up to a black knight who beat me up with a claymore the size of a small horse. Can I block his attacks if I can block the capra demons?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Xuuel posted:

So I think I accidentally found out a way to make the Artorias fight waaaay easier. (DLC boss spoilers obviously) If you headshot him with a bow while he's in his little "powering up" animation, not only does it cancel it, but it gets rid of any previous upgrades as well. Artorias is probably one of my favourite boss fights in the entire game, so I'm probably not gonna use this on further playthroughs if I can help it.

It helps so much I really have to wonder if it was intentional or not.

You can also just hit him enough to stagger him before he powers up. The fight is really similar to King Allant in Demon's Souls

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Well that is often true, but that does not say anything about blocking. :v:

E:

Cowcaster posted:

So near the armored pig I killed way back, there was a spiral staircase leading up to a black knight who beat me up with a claymore the size of a small horse. Can I block his attacks if I can block the capra demons?

Give it a try, see how it goes! :v:

Seriously though, "try it" is genuine advice. You will have to test the waters very often in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cowcaster posted:

Yeah, you can block it, you can block almost everything in the game. I know why you thought you couldn't though, in most games where you have a choice between dodging and blocking, dodging is the right choice 99% of the time because anything dangerous enough to be a real threat to you is also unblockable. Put that out of your head though, this game doesn't work that way.

• Locked thread