Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Here's how I spent my day...

At first, I was going to paint him up like Voltron (from the planet Arus, loyal to the God Emperor, blah blah blah), with each limb a different color. But I had an 11th hour idea that I decided to act on.

I present the Knight General Lee piloted by a couple of Good Ole Boys from the House Duke of the Planet Hazzard. Still needs a lot of cleanup, and I'm not happy with the arms so they're being redone tomorrow, but I just had to share. I initially was going to print transfers, but I decided to freehand everything because whatever.

My other four knights will be painted as follows: The Mystery Machine, The Bandit, The Love Bug and one of the following (I can't decide): The Partridge Bus, Natl Lampoon's wood-panel station wagon or Grease Lightning... Because I'm crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Here's how I spent my day...

At first, I was going to paint him up like Voltron (from the planet Arus, loyal to the God Emperor, blah blah blah), with each limb a different color. But I had an 11th hour idea that I decided to act on.

I present the Knight General Lee piloted by a couple of Good Ole Boys from the House Duke of the Planet Hazzard. Still needs a lot of cleanup, and I'm not happy with the arms so they're being redone tomorrow, but I just had to share. I initially was going to print transfers, but I decided to freehand everything because whatever.

My other four knights will be painted as follows: The Mystery Machine, The Bandit, The Love Bug and one of the following (I can't decide): The Partridge Bus, Natl Lampoon's wood-panel station wagon or Grease Lightning... Because I'm crazy.

As long as you aren't gonna paint a confederate battle flag on it I'm down with the 70s theme.

Ratflinger
Jul 1, 2010
So, I have just started painting up a Tau army. I am pretty new to painting models, until just a few months ago I have barely ever held a brush. I am slowly learning how to better simply apply paint to model, but I barely know what I am doing. I thought I could post a few images and hopefully receive some criticism on things I should be doing, things I appear to do wrong and whatnot. I feel like I need to push myself to try out new things in order to improve.

I suppose this might be a work in progress, as I look to further improve the paint job. As it stands it is painted more or less to the best of my abilities, though.

Here goes:

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Life and music: all about style.

LingcodKilla posted:

As long as you aren't gonna paint a confederate battle flag on it I'm down with the 70s theme.

No don't listen to this guy. You gotta slap a confederate flag on the back of that bitch and sing the dukes of hazzard theme as loud as you possibly can while you lay down a righteous asswhooping to anyone in your path.

Disclaimer: I am not American and don't really understand the implications of brandishing this confederate flag. All I know is that some dudes in an orange car drove around like Bad rear end Mother Fuckers grabbing mad air off dope jumps. That TV show was nuts.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

signalnoise posted:

New attempt at color management

Now that is a good color scheme, to my eyes.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

You're doing the lord's work.

So, painting an old dwarf cannon with crew for a paint exchange. Haven't started on the cannon yet, but here's what I have for the dwarf crew.

Skin's basically done other than clean-up where the other colors have gotten misplaced/inevitably will get misplaced, with seven levels of shading/highlighting. I really should have waited until after the eyes to do it, but oh well, I eventually fixed it up again. Right now I just have basecoats on the clothing. I'll shade the green and blue down a touch then bring them up a touch, and probably weather them both a bit. Which leads to my question. I was planning to crush up some mechanical pencil lead and use that as a weathering pigment to represent gunpowder. I know someone in this thread suggested using it for weathering, so I'm wondering if anyone who's used it can give me an idea if it'll work well for this purpose or not.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Magres posted:

I like this list. Like I've never painted before so don't take that as 'magres knows what he's doing and thinks it's a good list!' It's more I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm functionally retarded with visual art, so painting scares the poo poo out of me and having a step by step list like this soothes and calms my inner engineer. I like breaking everything down into step by step lists, now that I think about it, so I'm going to steal this from you.

Here's a story, I was incredibly excited to get my first paint set years and years ago, I'd been looking forward to painting my models so much that when I finally got home with my new fandangled paint set in hand, borrowing some brushes from my dad and grabbing some water, I cracked open a paint pot and........ I didn't have a single bloody clue what to do next. I can remember that moment like it happened yesterday, it happened in 1992 :) I tentatively stuck my brush into the pot of citadel enchanted blue and slapped it on a wizards cloak.. once I got that 'oh god help me' step out of the way, it kinda came on in leaps and bounds.

It helps to have some models you aren't too attached to to paint up. Which reminds me, I need to go trawl ebay for old 40k models for my son to destroy.

My top tip for starting is simply this: just try things out, if it seems wrong, try something else next time, if you simply keep trying things out you'll eventually find that sweet spot that works for you. Don't sweat the details basically, everyone finds their own way of working and if something someone suggests isn't quite right for you, don't be afraid to change part of it to better suit your needs :)

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

^^^^^^
There are those cheap packs of 4ish eldar/orcs/ig/marines that snap together, when I started painting again like 2 weeks ago I just bought one of the eldar packs to try out my Tau colour scheme on, helped a lot since I didn't really want to risk ruining one of my fire warriors.

Ratflinger posted:

So, I have just started painting up a Tau army. I am pretty new to painting models, until just a few months ago I have barely ever held a brush. I am slowly learning how to better simply apply paint to model, but I barely know what I am doing. I thought I could post a few images and hopefully receive some criticism on things I should be doing, things I appear to do wrong and whatnot. I feel like I need to push myself to try out new things in order to improve.

I suppose this might be a work in progress, as I look to further improve the paint job. As it stands it is painted more or less to the best of my abilities, though.

Here goes:

It's really nicely painted in the sense that it looks clean and like you used thin layers, but there is something about the scheme that I don't really like. Up close it looks good, but from a distance it's like I can't tell it's painted and before I enlarged the pictures and read your post I thought it was just primed blue. That said I guess a lot of it is personal preference and I'm the kind of person who paints my Tau purple and khaki with a very green sept colour so...

Sistergodiva fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jul 11, 2014

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

It just needs a few details picked out in a third contrasting colour I think. Or heavier edge highlighting.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Thanks for the advice guys! Since I've heard Simple Green strips paint nicely, I'll probably mess around a bunch with the two spare Choir Of Menoth grunts I'm not using yet - I need to move up to a bigger army size (and thus spend a bunch more money, which I'm not ready to do yet) before I have the points to fit their full unit into my list. Gives me plenty of time to do terrible things to them then clean them off, and they're pewter so (from what I understand) I can use pretty abrasive stuff without dissolving my model if the paint is being stubborn.

Random afterthought - any advice on a good gloss to use? I've also got some Retribution of Scyrah guys that are like smooth white robots (I've heard them called the Mac faction) and I really, really want to get their white to shine and pop nicely, because I've got plans for some violet accent work on them that I think is going to turn out brilliantly if I can get the color right and the white to be nice and shiny.

Magres fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jul 11, 2014

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Magres posted:

Random afterthought - any advice on a good gloss to use?

Vallejo brush on gloss varnish.

Ratflinger
Jul 1, 2010
Hey, thanks for the feedback. I might consider adding on some bright orange in order to get some contrasting colours in. The other thing is that I really do not know how to hightlight stuff. I can brush on some metal in order to make the paínt seem a little worn, but that is it. Should I just take a lighter shade of blue and apply it to every edge I could find? The model is basically not highlighted at all, because I do not know how to. :(

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Listen, you don't have to tell *me* it's a Ral Partha Chimera. I could recognize a Ral Partha Chimera from 20 feet away behind a DM screen, 10 foamcore pillars, a wizard, a gnome, 2 fighters, and a GW terminator with thunderhammer and stormshield that someone is claiming is a paladin.

It takes at *least* 10 years for Ral Partha pewter to mature into a robust and complex mini, with full body, hints of fruit, coffee, and soil. You did the right thing.

Also, and this is *barely* related.

Nice paint job.

Thank you. This is the best reply I've ever gotten.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

LingcodKilla posted:

After a lot of thought, I'm not putting the Confederate flag on there. If I did, it would purely have been as an homage to the car, but I don't want to be "that guy" - so I opted to make the D-sword red and the shield over the battle cannon/meltagun blue. No stars, but the colors should at least keep the theme without making me a jerk.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That's a good call, and the remixed "flag" should convey the concept without any of the baggage.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Tuxedo Jack posted:

If I was picking I'd go with the station wagon so you can call it your woody

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Personally, I think the flag would be fine - it is completely in context with the color scheme and an homage to a goofy TV show. Also, if you can somehow model denim Daisy Dukes onto your knight, you will completely win not only the Internet, but life in general.

A pea-green arctic green woody should be the next project.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

one of the following (I can't decide): The Partridge Bus, Natl Lampoon's wood-panel station wagon or Grease Lightning... Because I'm crazy.

Out of these choices, the only one you wouldn't have to constantly explain is the A-Team van.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I'd also throw KITT, the Mach 5, the enforcer from Mad Max, the Bluesmobile, and the Delorean into the hat, if you feel like modding the smokestacks into what the back of a Delorean looks like.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

berzerkmonkey posted:

Personally, I think the flag would be fine - it is completely in context with the color scheme and an homage to a goofy TV show. Also, if you can somehow model denim Daisy Dukes onto your knight, you will completely win not only the Internet, but life in general.

A pea-green arctic green woody should be the next project.

Or better up, an image of Daisy Duke in the style of a WW2 bomber pin-up painting. It should be possible to find a picture to print on a transfer sheet.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

If anyone can point me to a Daisy Dukes like miniature, or ones that look like the Duke cousins, I'd love to base him properly. I'll be done with the arms later today and I'll snap some new pictures. A-Team, Kitt, the DeLorean etc are officially in the hat. As soon as this bout of unemployment ends and I can afford more Chinese knights, I'll jump in the thread and narrow it down.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Sistergodiva posted:

It's really nicely painted in the sense that it looks clean and like you used thin layers, but there is something about the scheme that I don't really like. Up close it looks good, but from a distance it's like I can't tell it's painted and before I enlarged the pictures and read your post I thought it was just primed blue. That said I guess a lot of it is personal preference and I'm the kind of person who paints my Tau purple and khaki with a very green sept colour so...

I think the undercoat blue and the overcoat blue are a bit too close to each other brightness wise, so they don't contrast very well. It could just be the photo (photos using flash tend to have this effect, assuming he used flash). A way to fix this would be to line the model using an even brighter shade of blue, or (more easily) use a blue wash in the cracks and crevices.

It's also very close to my own Tau scheme, but I can't find the pictures I've taken. I know I've posted them on SA though.

edit: Courtesy of Sistergodiva.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 11, 2014

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Dirty Job posted:

I think the undercoat blue and the overcoat blue are a bit too close to each other brightness wise, so they don't contrast very well. It could just be the photo (photos using flash tend to have this effect, assuming he used flash). A way to fix this would be to line the model using an even brighter shade of blue, or (more easily) use a blue wash in the cracks and crevices.

It's also very close to my own Tau scheme, but I can't find the pictures I've taken. I know I've posted them on SA though.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3210214&userid=107440

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Thanks! I've been trying to figure out this thread search thing for a couple minutes now. This is much easier!

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 11, 2014

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Tuxedo Jack posted:

If anyone can point me to a Daisy Dukes like miniature, or ones that look like the Duke cousins, I'd love to base him properly. I'll be done with the arms later today and I'll snap some new pictures. A-Team, Kitt, the DeLorean etc are officially in the hat. As soon as this bout of unemployment ends and I can afford more Chinese knights, I'll jump in the thread and narrow it down.

https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Modern/latest/50200
Vindicaire Assassin ally?

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Now with arms! Everything is magnetized, of course, including the arms and the weapons on the right arm. The top is still removable, so that if I decide to add a tiny speaker and board, I can put a switch on the back that makes it play the Dixie horn. (Anyone willing to help with that?).

I'm still discovering little things that bother me and need to be cleaned up - but he's ready enough. As he didn't come with a base, we had to 3D print one (11 bucks in resin, believe it or not) which is running right now. He'll be based with a simple Hazzard county diorama, once I can find the right miniatures to use.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Perfect. I wonder if I can snap the gun off and replace it... Or mod it into a crossbow (much more Duke-appropriate).

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Perfect. I wonder if I can snap the gun off and replace it... Or mod it into a crossbow (much more Duke-appropriate).

For future reference, Hasslefree also has a lot of pop culture miniatures. I know they have Scooby Doo figures, for instance.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So I impulse snagged a rattlecan of Liquitex matte varnish while I was at my local arts & crafts superstore. I'm a little hesitant to spray it on my space dolls right away as I haven't used it before and I don't have any test models handy at the moment. Just curious if any goons have any first hand experience with it? Also any tips on spraying matte varnish?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

AndyElusive posted:

So I impulse snagged a rattlecan of Liquitex matte varnish while I was at my local arts & crafts superstore. I'm a little hesitant to spray it on my space dolls right away as I haven't used it before and I don't have any test models handy at the moment. Just curious if any goons have any first hand experience with it? Also any tips on spraying matte varnish?

Spray it on some sprue and see what happens. Never take the word of someone else.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Hey goons, got a colour chart question.

Does anyone have like a colour chart of the PP/Vallejo/GW range paints? Not together necessarily, even individual ones would be fab. I've done some googling but haven't really found what I'm after.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

Spray it on some sprue and see what happens. Never take the word of someone else.

Well said. Everyone could love the stuff, but if you wind up getting a skunked can that's been sitting on the shelf for two years, you're going to be very unhappy.

Flipswitch posted:

Hey goons, got a colour chart question.

Does anyone have like a colour chart of the PP/Vallejo/GW range paints? Not together necessarily, even individual ones would be fab. I've done some googling but haven't really found what I'm after.

If you're looking for side-by-side chips, you're out of luck - I don't think anyone has taken the time to do that. Probably the best you're going to get: http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

FYI, PP paints were not intended to be a color match, so you're going to have a hard time finding equivalents in another line.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 11, 2014

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
After a long time away from the hobby, I picked up a squad of Death Korps mans to paint and maybe play some kill team. I've never used any of the Forge World resin models before, though. Is there anything I should know about preparing them and putting them together that's different than GW's plastic models?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

deadking posted:

After a long time away from the hobby, I picked up a squad of Death Korps mans to paint and maybe play some kill team. I've never used any of the Forge World resin models before, though. Is there anything I should know about preparing them and putting them together that's different than GW's plastic models?
Wash them with warm, soapy water before assembly. Resin typically has a release agent on it when they remove it from the moulds, and this causes the pieces to feel kind of greasy and keeps paint from sticking to them also. Beyond that, don't be afraid to bend any bent bits to the right shape/angle using warm water and your hands. Pinning is good with larger pieces, but I think just infantry should be fine.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

SRM posted:

Wash them with warm, soapy water before assembly. Resin typically has a release agent on it when they remove it from the moulds, and this causes the pieces to feel kind of greasy and keeps paint from sticking to them also. Beyond that, don't be afraid to bend any bent bits to the right shape/angle using warm water and your hands. Pinning is good with larger pieces, but I think just infantry should be fine.

Dumb question: Mantic advertises some of their pieces as "plastic resin." Should I handle this any differently from resin, or is it pretty much the same?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

PantsOptional posted:

Dumb question: Mantic advertises some of their pieces as "plastic resin." Should I handle this any differently from resin, or is it pretty much the same?

Not dumb at all. Restic, their resin is somewhat flexible and not rigid like Forge World resin.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

PantsOptional posted:

My Enforcer Captain's armblade thing got bent and messed up being in a KR Multicase foam insert.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

PantsOptional posted:

Plastic resin is their name for PVC, the same product that Privateer Press uses. You don't have to wash it, but as always it never hurts.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

Well said. Everyone could love the stuff, but if you wind up getting a skunked can that's been sitting on the shelf for two years, you're going to be very unhappy.

If you're looking for side-by-side chips, you're out of luck - I don't think anyone has taken the time to do that. Probably the best you're going to get: http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

FYI, PP paints were not intended to be a color match, so you're going to have a hard time finding equivalents in another line.

This should be fine buddy, it's only rough approximations from what I need, it's basically so I have something to reference for colour tones when mixing paints, rather than looking through my paint collection each time I want to pick one out. Thanks mate!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

deadking posted:

This wan't mentioned, but you'll have to use superglue to assemble the parts - plastic cement will not work.

Flipswitch posted:

This should be fine buddy, it's only rough approximations from what I need, it's basically so I have something to reference for colour tones when mixing paints, rather than looking through my paint collection each time I want to pick one out. Thanks mate!
No problem!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

berzerkmonkey posted:

This wan't mentioned, but you'll have to use superglue to assemble the parts - plastic cement will not work.
I forgot to mention that, but I just assume everyone uses super glue instead of plastic glue or what have you.

• Locked thread