Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Illegal Username posted:

So enlighten me.

Is there any point to Parrying, apart from killing the black knights at low levels? It's just so goddamn finicky and sometimes the game just decides gently caress you, you failed and now you'll get stunlocked until you're dead.
It's just as easy to either A) circlestrafe people to death or B) Just block their attack and retaliate.

As far as i know bosses will just laugh at Parry attemps, just like those bullshit tracking attacks will kill you if you decide to dodge sideways

IMO parry + riposte is kind of ridiculous. Any ripostable enemy where you get the timing down on parry is basically never a threat again. Also, you don't really want to be rolling around all the time in Blighttown so it's incredibly handy there. Also, I might be mistaken but I think if you are really good at timing your dodges - they need to be late and not early - you can always dodge those "tracking" moves. I know what you're talking about though, I got mashed into paste by Havel a few times when learning to deal with those attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
So did they make greatswords swing slower or am I going crazy?

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I'm late 50s and Anor Londo is incredibly hard. Is the DLC stuff supposed to come before it?

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Anor Londo is incredibly hard

Found your problem. I've been through Anor Londo at SL1 before, and even at normal leveling I'd say 50+ is high for the area. Most of the enemies are tank motherfuckers that you need to be strafing around constantly and keeping your shield up. I'm still in the area around SL40 on my current DEX build and might be able to help you with the bosses

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So now I'm completely lost in some sewers and there were these big smokey frogs and I killed about a million of them and got a ring that says it absorbs hp from dead enemies so that's neat I guess.

Is it possible for enemies to just randomly drop liquid humanity? I've been getting the humanity items from all these rats I'm stabbing but every so often my counter ticks up too, which is a waste since I'm not human right now.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Cowcaster posted:

So now I'm completely lost in some sewers and there were these big smokey frogs and I killed about a million of them and got a ring that says it absorbs hp from dead enemies so that's neat I guess.

Is it possible for enemies to just randomly drop liquid humanity? I've been getting the humanity items from all these rats I'm stabbing but every so often my counter ticks up too, which is a waste since I'm not human right now.

Ya killing any enemy in an area where you haven't beaten the boss has a chance of giving you liquid humanity.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So if you do fist weapons, bring something else for Blighttown. :suicide:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

Before you kill the boss in the area, liquid humanity is a somewhat common drop (this applies to all areas).

There's tons of good equipment where you are. Don't miss the Spider Shield or whatever it's called, it's going to be extremely useful in the next area.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Having liquid humanity is also never a waste as it increases your defensive stats, including curse resist, and your item find.

Orv
May 4, 2011

AlternatePFG posted:

Possible Weapon/Magic Spoilers: http://i.imgur.com/Se9gn.jpg

I'm more intrigued by the outfit. NPC drop?

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Someone in full Havel armor (sans the ring) invaded me in Lost Izalith today. I held off on taking out my anti-gimp equipment to see if he was trying to fool me or something, but no it was just a dude who clearly isn't very good at invasions. He put up a really fun fight though so I spent the next 20 minutes invading around Lost Izalith and murdering people until I found him. Gave him a stack of 10 humanity then back-flipped off a cliff.

Dude was probably confused as hell.

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice

Orv posted:

There's a NPC in the new content area with that outfit. I'm guessing he killed him. :v:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So I found a dragon made out of teeth and stabbed it in the butt until it died. Is there a bonfire around or should I use a wayward bone because I have piled up 38 thousand souls and would like to spend them.

Also are those grey walls you pass through always indicators of bosses? I thought they were just new areas.

AlternatePFG
Jun 19, 2012

Orv posted:

Yup, NPC drop from the new content. It's my favorite outfit in the game now, it just looks wonderful.

Azraden posted:

There's a NPC in the new content area with that outfit. I'm guessing he killed him. :v:

Hey, he was an rear end in a top hat and he had it coming. :colbert:

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
Son of a bitch. Domhnall just jumped off the loving bridge and killed himself (after I accidentally tapped him on the head with a great club). Will he respawn in NG+? Not that it matters that much either way. There's simply no way armor can get any better than this:

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

Also are those grey walls you pass through always indicators of bosses? I thought they were just new areas.

A boss is always preceded by them (or at least they did in Demon's Souls and what I have seem of DeS so far), but not all of them lead to bosses.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Benito Hitlerstalin posted:

Son of a bitch. Domhnall just jumped off the loving bridge and killed himself (after I accidentally tapped him on the head with a great club). Will he respawn in NG+? Not that it matters that much either way. There's simply no way armor can get any better than this:

I always felt that Domnhall is the real master armorer in Lordran, 'cause he makes all this weird loving armor fit the player.

Or just "magic", I guess.

AlternatePFG posted:

Yup, NPC drop from the new content. It's my favorite outfit in the game now, it just looks wonderful.

Time to stop screwing around and go do the DLC then.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

AlternatePFG posted:

Yup, NPC drop from the new content. It's my favorite outfit in the game now, it just looks wonderfulmarvelous.

Fixed that for you.

Benito Hitlerstalin posted:

Son of a bitch. Domhnall just jumped off the loving bridge and killed himself (after I accidentally tapped him on the head with a great club). Will he respawn in NG+?

He will. In fact, you'll want to check him out in NG+ anyway. He'll have some new stuff you can only get in NG+.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 30, 2012

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
I just did a terrible thing, I walked a new player through all of Anor Londo past the first Gargoyle. He never got to experience the archers :(

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

tractor fanatic posted:

I just did a terrible thing, I walked a new player through all of Anor Londo past the first Gargoyle. He never got to experience the archers :(

Imagine how good it'll be when he gets to NG+ and doesn't have a Sunbro to do it for him. Gotta think of the positives!

Orv
May 4, 2011

tractor fanatic posted:

Make A Wish Foundation ain't got poo poo on you.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Check it out I was reading about Pueblo Indian religion recently, and one of the common threads among many Puebloan peoples is the belief in several iterations of the world. We're on the fourth or fifth world. When the previous world ended, the remaining living things physically climbed up from it, usually by means of hollow reeds or prayer sticks, and emerged into this world through an opening called sipapu. In fact, the previous world still exists as another "layer" under this one, accessible by sipapu, and in some beliefs that's where the afterlife is located.

Anyway when I was playing this game I was struck by the resemblance to Ash Lake and the Great Hollow. Not just that a previous world underlies the current world, but that there's a vegetable bridge connecting them, and things that have died out in the upper world can be found below. Probably a coincidence-- I mean it doesn't take empirical science to notice that if you dig into the earth you find older poo poo deeper down-- but I think this game has a good grasp of the like "texture" of mythology & religion.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Trap Star posted:

Found your problem. I've been through Anor Londo at SL1 before, and even at normal leveling I'd say 50+ is high for the area. Most of the enemies are tank motherfuckers that you need to be strafing around constantly and keeping your shield up. I'm still in the area around SL40 on my current DEX build and might be able to help you with the bosses

So I guess I should have been spending my souls on improving my gear instead then?

I'm currently in Darkroot farming that special spot and I'm actually level 60, so I'm not sure if you can help me. :(

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Lemon Curdistan posted:

So I guess I should have been spending my souls on improving my gear instead then?

I'm currently in Darkroot farming that special spot and I'm actually level 60, so I'm not sure if you can help me. :(

I can help you out. Just don't level up any more.

edit: offer only good if you've already lost to the boss

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Man, I didn't have any trouble with those archers when I ran through Anor Londo myself the first time, but when I sunbroed there was always something that went wrong.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

tractor fanatic posted:

I can help you out. Just don't level up any more.

edit: offer only good if you've already lost to the boss

Yeah, twice. :argh:

I'm in Europe and probably won't be in tomorrow but if the offer still stands hit me up in PM, or my Steam ID.

swamp waste posted:

but I think this game has a good grasp of the like "texture" of mythology & religion.

Yes, definitely. I'm also surprised at how logical the connection between areas is (the abandoned giant city of Anor Londo, the village that's based in old fortifications defending one of the city's walls and build around an aqueduct, the fact that there's the city, the lower city, the sewers and then there's a shantytown below it all, etc.).

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Do you guys find the Grass Crest Shield useful for it's stamina recovery bonus, or it's not worth using it?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

VisAbsoluta posted:

Do you guys find the Grass Crest Shield useful for it's stamina recovery bonus, or it's not worth using it?

It's useful to an extent, especially if you 2hand a lot, but you want to get good at dodging since it's not the best shield around for actually blocking.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Hey guys did you know that there's stairs down to the left of the jerk near the very first bonfire and there's a person who upgrades your estus flask golly that would've been useful.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

So uh... a thing just happened to Admiral Depressive and I am not too sure what triggered it. He said something about something being really smelly or something and just buggered off his usual spot at Firelink.

Well I found him and he was quite the character. What did I do/forget to do? Is this normal?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Is there any way to reliably farm for Black Knight gear? I want the shield badly.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Anti-Hero posted:

Is there any way to reliably farm for Black Knight gear? I want the shield badly.

The very last area of the game offers a way, until then nope.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Anti-Hero posted:

Very end of the game.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Mindblast posted:

So uh... a thing just happened to Admiral Depressive and I am not too sure what triggered it. He said something about something being really smelly or something and just buggered off his usual spot at Firelink.

Well I found him and he was quite the character. What did I do/forget to do? Is this normal?

That's normal. Pretty much as soon as he steps foot in New Londo he hollows out. I think if you never speak to him again he won't leave. The smell is Frampton's breath from being fed poo poo like dung pies and copper coins.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Sure, Metacritic, but...

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dark-souls-prepare-to-die-edition

87/100 :siren:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Get FH summoned, guy is waiting for me at the open area near the Eastern armor drop. Quick skirmish that ends with me retaliating to his firebomb with a fire orb, at which point he rolls off the cliff. I love this game.

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice

13 points too short. :colbert:

Seriously though, I haven't finished it yet (about to wrap up the DLC content and finished getting the Lordvessel), but this may have topped the original Deus Ex as my favorite game.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Azraden posted:

13 points too short. :colbert:

Seriously though, I haven't finished it yet (about to wrap up the DLC content and finished getting the Lordvessel), but this may have topped the original Deus Ex as my favorite game.

How could it ever top a true masterpiece of PC gaming like Deus Ex, it's got an FPS lock, bad controls, Games for Windows Live, and you have to download a mod to fix the graphics!

:goonsay:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I don't know if this is my favorite game of all time, but it definitely deserves 95+. My favorite game is Morrowind and I think the two actually have a few of the same things going for them.

Edit: also it hasn't really been brought up much but holy crap gfwl has been so well behaved in this game. I'm one of those people who always had it go wrong in some way in other games.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I don't know if this is my favorite game of all time, but it definitely deserves 95+. My favorite game is Morrowind and I think the two actually have a few of the same things going for them.

Edit: also it hasn't really been brought up much but holy crap gfwl has been so well behaved in this game. I'm one of those people who always had it go wrong in some way in other games.

You know, there are similarities to the last encounters of Morrowind and Demon's Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternatePFG
Jun 19, 2012
To be fair, I don't think it's a good port on it's own, but if you have a gamepad you can install a couple of mods and make most of it's other problems moot. Except for those hackers. :smith:

It's the definitive version of the game though, it runs way better than the console version does, that's for sure.

• Locked thread