Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Call around to adoption companies in Florida if you cant get the cat. A good one will vet prospective owners and find a good home. If someone decides they don't want a pet then it would be better for the animal to get them into a home that would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Price Chopper (at least the ones near me,) do a 6 for $9.

I feel it's a little overpriced, since none of the beers are really top-tier...or even upper mid-tier. Mostly firmer medium mid-tier and lower mid-tier. Ones that go for like $7 or $8 for a 6-pack, and anywhere from $11-$14 for a 12-pack, so I feel I'm paying $1 to $2 more than I should.
One of the stores around here puts in enough good stuff that you can beat the system with mix-a-6, but in general I'm just recommending it for people new to beer so they can try out a lot of styles without breaking the bank.

Tiny posted:

I just "sous-vide"'d some hotdogs...

Took the whole pack out of the freezer, threw them in hot water in the sink to thaw. When I checked on them, I realized that there was no point in cooking hotdogs without a grill, they just needed to be warm. Filled the other half of the sink with hot water, let the pack soak. They were only warm after that. I ran full-temp hot water over the package for 20 minutes and huzzah, hot hotdogs to dip into the soy/sriracha sauce mix I made while waiting.

Dinner!
I split them down the middle and pan fry them in mustard or BBQ sauce if I'm not grilling, I'm sure the same with soy sauce or sriracha would be good.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

JEEVES420 posted:

Call around to adoption companies in Florida if you cant get the cat. A good one will vet prospective owners and find a good home. If someone decides they don't want a pet then it would be better for the animal to get them into a home that would.

There are a few good rescues in the Tampa/Sarasota area that she's looking into since all other options have been exhausted. Nobody she knows can take him in, there's no money to board him at the vet until she gets her own place again, and it'll take me close to a month to even hope to get the money for transportation. She needs to be out of her apartment Sunday.

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.
I like to use my old chem lab safety goggles while cutting onions.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Bone posted:

Just breath through your mouth. Or eat more onions.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

JEEVES420 posted:

Just breath through your mouth. Or eat more onions.

How does breathing through your mouth keep the sulfuric acid fumes out of your eyes?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

LivesInGrey posted:

There are a few good rescues in the Tampa/Sarasota area that she's looking into since all other options have been exhausted. Nobody she knows can take him in, there's no money to board him at the vet until she gets her own place again, and it'll take me close to a month to even hope to get the money for transportation. She needs to be out of her apartment Sunday.

I can't take in any more cats, even temporarily, (apartment limited) but St. Francis have my utmost recommendation for a Tampa area rescue. If you explain your situation to them, they might even be able to get one of their fosters to watch your kitty for a month as long as you'll pay adoption fees.

deadwing has a new favorite as of 06:54 on Aug 1, 2014

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

Bone posted:

I do this too, or throw it in the bullet. Apparently gum works too

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

If cutting onions causes eye irritation, your knife needs to be sharpened.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

If cutting onions causes eye irritation, your knife needs to be sharpened.

Please explain your knife, so sharp that the onion juice never gets exposed to air. :psyduck:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Meatwave posted:

How does breathing through your mouth keep the sulfuric acid fumes out of your eyes?

You are not breathing them into your sinus cavity. I have never gotten watery eyes from onions since I was a little kid, but I also eat at least one onion a day so :shrug:

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Splizwarf posted:

Please explain your knife, so sharp that the onion juice never gets exposed to air. :psyduck:

Blunter knives will rupture more of the onion's cells, releasing more gas? It's scientifically sound.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...
This weekend's hangout debauchery is underway: https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/grbgz6sazurn3ewayfknshi754a?hl=en

Porter Flounder
May 10, 2005

I <3 Kitano
Join, join, join!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Blunter knives will rupture more of the onion's cells, releasing more gas? It's scientifically sound.

As opposed to sharp knives which don't in any way damage what they come in contact with?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Cakefool posted:

As opposed to sharp knives which don't in any way damage what they come in contact with?

You guys are missing the point, I was questioning an absolute statement, not addressing a sliding scale.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Jesus christ guys just eat more onions and you'll stop crying

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Day 2 of moving, shower beer then Chinese food for lunch, now unpacking and organizing beers. Not all bad.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I know I wake up everyday in my bed made of onion and immediately take a full immersion bath in warm onion juice. Making sure to brush my teeth and wash my hair in the fluids.

Afterwards I peel off a few layers of the five million white onions I have laying around and dry myself with their flaky skin.

Next up is breakfast, as much kale as I can possibly cram into my anal cavity, followed by a steaming hot coffee colonic.

You plebs and you're crying while cutting onions. :smug:

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I always thought Jails back in the day should have made them cut onions instead of peeling potatoes or whatever...

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

10 Beers posted:

Day 2 of moving, shower beer then Chinese food for lunch, now unpacking and organizing beers. Not all bad.

Oh god you're as bad as me moving.. First thing I move and set up is the PC, then the fridge and foods.. Then call it a day and geek out and eat.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

10 Beers posted:

Brother, you move just like me. The first thing I did last time I moved was claim two of the kitchen cabinets for beer overflow before my girlfriend had a chance to fill it with silly poo poo like dishes or pots and pans.

Zombie Pirate
Jan 3, 2009

Kitty, you wouldn't happen to have any super powers, would you?

deadwing posted:

Brother, you move just like me. The first thing I did last time I moved was claim two of the kitchen cabinets for beer overflow before my girlfriend had a chance to fill it with silly poo poo like dishes or pots and pans.

...why not just get an extra, dedicated fridge? One for meat, one for booze, and a mini fridge for easily accessible beer. That's how my house currently works.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Zombie Pirate posted:

...why not just get an extra, dedicated fridge? One for meat, one for booze, and a mini fridge for easily accessible beer. That's how my house currently works.

I have that, it's called the main fridge. You do not understand how much beer I have. 10 Beers can vouch for me, my apartment is a motherfucking liquor store.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

deadwing posted:

I have that, it's called the main fridge. You do not understand how much beer I have. 10 Beers can vouch for me, my apartment is a motherfucking liquor store.

This is true. Some day when I'm able to make it to deadwing's house, I will take pictures of all the beer for posterity. Then I will take pictures of us drinking all the beer for further posterity.

In other news, deadwing, please get an XBone. Thanks!

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
This bar i am at is having problems with teir kegs or something so they are giving me three for one beers. Its just extra work on their end and all the beers are fine. Its dope

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Hahaha. So some guy just won big on video lottery so i jokingly told him he could pay my 10 dollar tab and he did so the bartender gave me 6.50. Getting paid to drink here...

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

deadwing posted:

I like you.

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012
I work on contracts and I'm enjoying my first substantial break from working in about five years.

I marked my freedom by buying Dark Souls 2 and ploughing about 80 hours into it in just over a week. The game was finished with a 12 hour session.

Travelling will be done later in the summer, I promise.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Day 3 of moving has consisted of a run to the grocery store for junk food, organizing, and drinking. Had some bourbon earlier, and now I'm enjoying some get-the-dog-and-cat-acquainted beers.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

10 Beers posted:

Day 3 of moving has consisted of a run to the grocery store for junk food, organizing, and drinking. Had some bourbon earlier, and now I'm enjoying some get-the-dog-and-cat-acquainted beers.

How are the handling their liquor?

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Cats a bit of a pussy, passed out after 8.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

From the OSHA.jpg thread

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Put a finger/face guard on that I don't see a problem with letting the kids mow the lawn.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Outrail posted:

Put a finger/face guard on that I don't see a problem with letting the kids mow the lawn.

Nah, pseudo-industrial accidents are all part of the learning process.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:
Working my way towards a promotion at this rate. I'm picking up shifts left and right, they can't get enough of me. Not bad for a brand new nurse. This staying busy thing is good for me. I need to cool it a bit with the alcohol and get my life straightened out. Kidding about the promotion thing, but they really seem to appreciate me. Feels nice to do good things. Saving the world one crazy patient at a time. :j:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

whatshesaid posted:

Working my way towards a promotion at this rate. I'm picking up shifts left and right, they can't get enough of me. Not bad for a brand new nurse. This staying busy thing is good for me. I need to cool it a bit with the alcohol and get my life straightened out. Kidding about the promotion thing, but they really seem to appreciate me. Feels nice to do good things. Saving the world one crazy patient at a time. :j:

Hope you're getting overtime. I have been working 60 hour weeks the past month with no overtime...my boss is taking me to lunch as a thank you.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:
Yeah, I get 1.5 pay OT. Although I'm still not sure if it's for going over 40 within one week or if it's going over 80 within two weeks. What the company will do is ask someone to work extra but then cut them later in the week or the following week, of the same pay period, to avoid paying OT. That's a sneaky way to take advantage of good workers, in my opinion. Maybe I'm just naive. We get paid every two weeks. And coworkers have warned me that if I work too much over, I'll get more taxes taken out, resulting in a smaller check than if I'd put in a regular week. gently caress that. But census in the hospital goes way up this time of year, so I don't think the threat of being cancelled will be an issue much longer, if any at all. I've only been shorted four hours since I've worked there. Some of the nurses love to be cancelled, while I'm begging to pick up hours.

Mickles
Feb 12, 2008
Vicariously, I live while the whole world dies.

Mickles posted:

I've read through this entire thread and will be moving into my own place next month. I look forward to reporting on various bachelor (mis)adventures.

Bachelor update:

All this stupid lovely Ikea furniture has been assembled with commensurate swearing and booze.

Now I just have booze and internet. What else is needed, really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

In Texas its anything over 40 in one week, I have never heard of anywhere basing it off of pay periods. Your paycheck will never be less than normal but the taxes will be worse the more you make. That time and a half wont feel like it but you will get that money back with your tax return.

The way taxes work is they take your 2 week paycheck and multiply that amount times 26; They then assume that is what you make for the year. This is then used to determine the tax bracket you are in and the taxes get taken out accordingly. At the end of the year when you have what you actually made the taxes are determined again and if they took more out (which they did) then you get it back.

JEEVES420 has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Aug 4, 2014

• Locked thread