Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

iastudent posted:

Speaking of things that are kinda like Neo Geo:

Tomorrow is set to be a Very Special Day.

http://www.freecade.org/project-kajitsu/

(Jasen posted about this multiple times too)

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

iastudent posted:

This is probably the best end to a week I could ask for.

:unsmith: congratulations and welcome to a deep dark pit of awesome collecting. If you ever feel the need for Japanese PCBs for better than eBay prices I'll throw you a message the next time the collectors here start a group-order, "we" get a few shipping containers (the ones that fit cars inside) a year total of cabinets and games.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

MrLonghair posted:

:unsmith: congratulations and welcome to a deep dark pit of awesome collecting. If you ever feel the need for Japanese PCBs for better than eBay prices I'll throw you a message the next time the collectors here start a group-order, "we" get a few shipping containers (the ones that fit cars inside) a year total of cabinets and games.

Shoot me a PM too! :swoon:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Agrias120 posted:

Shoot me a PM too! :swoon:

Short story: Very healthy arcade collecting community in Sweden, open to those living abroad too, hard requirement on actually being able to pay/wire money over to the arranger, it's a very serious business. The goal is just that it's done for private use, not for re-selling for profit like that one rear end in a top hat jacking up all YahooJP auctions and making big bucks reselling on eBay.

Last deal had things like a four slot MVS for $55 US, Street Fighter EX II+ for $90, etc

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Silhouette posted:

I disagree about HoD's music being uninspired, and also with the common complaint about the audio quality. It's got a really unique lo-fi fuzzy chiptune thing going on that I love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG5EzU2EZ5o

I'll never not love this song.

Hooray! I'm not alone in enjoying HoD's soundtrack!

Aside from the one you posted, my other favorite from that game would have to be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ENmrNA6ifc

Lepecard fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 6, 2014

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Lepecard posted:

Aside from you posted, my other favorite from that game would have to be:

This is really good

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Aside from the Persona series and FF/Chrono Trigger, Castlevania series has the best music hands down

Pretend I embedded youtubes of the entire Symphony of the Night OST [best OST]

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

http://www.freecade.org/project-kajitsu/

(Jasen posted about this multiple times too)

So this works similar to Undamned's USB decoders?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Nativity In Black posted:

So this works similar to Undamned's USB decoders?

yes

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Code Jockey posted:

Aside from the Persona series and FF/Chrono Trigger, Castlevania series has the best music hands down

Pretend I embedded youtubes of the entire Symphony of the Night OST [best OST]

Thanks for reminding me that I really ought to pick up some Castlevania games, I've never played a single one of them my whole life.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Are there any slightly cheaper alternatives to an everdrive gameboy that aren't horrible?

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

iastudent posted:

This is probably the best end to a week I could ask for.

What is this stuff?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

The_Frag_Man posted:

What is this stuff?

A supergun, it lets you play arcade PCBs on your TV.

(not my image)

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

Lepecard posted:

Aside from the one you posted, my other favorite from that game would have to be:

Hmm, I always thought what this game really needed was a higher sample rate to get rid of the grainy 8khz with no filtering sound and make it more like the VRC6 chip they were going for, and this is 2014 so we can actually do that. Ripping the game through GBA Mus Riper and playing the resulting MIDI and soundfont back through XMPlay makes it sound ten times better. That doesn't work for all GBA games, just ones that use the default sound engine, but that also includes Fire Emblem and Mother 3.

Now if only I could get that quality of audio to come out of the Game Boy Player.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Not sure if this is the proper thread, but I wanted to give you guys a shot before I try elsewhere.

I have Steel Battalion for the XBOX, and that includes the controllers. I would like to give it away, but packing it up is going to be a PITA. Anyone in the Northern VA area would like to get it?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Grapeshot posted:

Hmm, I always thought what this game really needed was a higher sample rate to get rid of the grainy 8khz with no filtering sound and make it more like the VRC6 chip they were going for, and this is 2014 so we can actually do that. Ripping the game through GBA Mus Riper and playing the resulting MIDI and soundfont back through XMPlay makes it sound ten times better. That doesn't work for all GBA games, just ones that use the default sound engine, but that also includes Fire Emblem and Mother 3.

Now if only I could get that quality of audio to come out of the Game Boy Player.

Wait they were trying to recreate thr VRC6 sound? I thought the HoD team was unfamiliar with GBA sound and thus accidentally programed the soundtrack to use the legacy GB sound hardware.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RadicalR posted:

Not sure if this is the proper thread, but I wanted to give you guys a shot before I try elsewhere.

I have Steel Battalion for the XBOX, and that includes the controllers. I would like to give it away, but packing it up is going to be a PITA. Anyone in the Northern VA area would like to get it?

I'll be driving through before Christmas, around the 20th to 22nd, and would be glad to pick it up if no one else wants it.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

Are there any slightly cheaper alternatives to an everdrive gameboy that aren't horrible?

I said no in irc, but I'll actually explain better here:

the Everdrive is approx $80~
The EMS cart is $40
The Drag n Derp is $100.

The DnD and EMS can only do one game at a time. Technically, the EMS can do two, but its super finicky and the second game can't save without wiping game #1's save. The Everdrive is the only one that supports using a microsd, a ton of games, and not being a massive piece of poo poo.

If you just want old gameboy games on the go without too much care about accuracy, use an emulator on a psp or ds.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

ChaosArgate posted:

Wait they were trying to recreate thr VRC6 sound? I thought the HoD team was unfamiliar with GBA sound and thus accidentally programed the soundtrack to use the legacy GB sound hardware.

They used the GBC hardware core for sound so that they could utilize the entire GBA processor for the giant multi-sprite bosses, bigger sprites for enemies, animated backgrounds and Juste's dumb aura. HoD had a lot more going on with its spritework than CoTM and AoS, even though both of those games looked far better due to better art direction.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

RadicalR posted:

It's been on my list, so I'd love to grab it from you, but don't want to steal it out from under Nintendo Kid.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

Silhouette posted:

They used the GBC hardware core for sound so that they could utilize the entire GBA processor for the giant multi-sprite bosses, bigger sprites for enemies, animated backgrounds and Juste's dumb aura. HoD had a lot more going on with its spritework than CoTM and AoS, even though both of those games looked far better due to better art direction.

I mostly think it sounds like the VRC6 because of the extensive use of sawtooth waves for the bassline (and because this cover is so spot-on). I'm not sure whether it was designed like that as a stylistic choice or to save on ROM space or CPU time, but the team certainly did know how to use the GBA sound channels. Even though HoD uses the GBC square waves for the melodies, the GBA sample channel is always running during the game, playing mostly sawtooth waves and kick drum samples. It is running in mono and at a very low sample rate though. Since all sound mixing on the GBA had to be done in software, the amount of CPU time taken increases with the sample rate and how many channels you are mixing together.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
The Toro, it lives... :rms:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Oh man, what a crazy day. I went shopping in town and decided to go to the arcade. Well, I thought I was just going to play some games for a bit, not run the gamut of almost all my holy grail arcade games that I thought I'd never get to play.

The first thing was tucked way back in the corner.

(Goddamnit, I've got to start carrying a proper camera on me when I go places instead of having to use my 3DS.)

If you haven't heard of it, the game is more well known for its weird features than for being good. It's also phenomenally rare (but its far from the rarest thing I played or saw today). The player controls the band Journey as they go on a cosmic adventure to collect their instruments and then play a concert. Each band member has their own stage where a sprite of an arcade guy with a digitized photo as the head does some basic arcade stuff (and each of them has a couple of different photos they use depending on the situation). Jump over obstacles, bounce off platforms, that kind of thing. When they reach their instrument it becomes a shooter as the band member has to blast their way out of the stage again. All the stages feature beep-bloop versions of Journey songs as you navigate them.

Well, all the stages except one. When all five members get their instruments they go to the concert and that's when the most memorable feature of Journey kicks in. A cassette player inside the cabinet provides the sound track for that stage as it plays "Separate Ways". So this was a really crazy game for 1983.

Obviously I had to get to the concert so I worked and worked at it to master the stages so that I could beat all five in one shot. Then the concert kicked in and... they didn't have the tape. But they did make it up to me, big time.

If you're curious about Journey, here's a video from a guy who restored a cabinet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNikyy11q5U

Once I stopped believing I moved on to a few more rare games I played that I didn't bother taking pictures of. I've never encountered Windjammers in the wild, but they replaced one of their slots on their Neogeo with it. Awesome game, glad I got to finally play it on a real system.

As I was coming in to the arcade, I said to myself, "Why is there a Battlemaster in the window?" The answer is that it wasn't a Battlemaster, it was a mech from B.O.T.S.S., Microprose and Jaleco's answer to Battletech pods. I've never encountered this game before and from what I can find it is super rare. It's essentially Battlezone with Mechwarrior 1 level graphics and not really worth getting excited over. Still, it's a real weird one. Here's a picture with the side art so you can see what I'm talking about :

The real treasure, a game that I've wanted to play forever and day, was hidden away. There was an issue with some of the lamps not working:

But I got to play Baby Pac-Man anyway. This is the absurdly rare Pac-Man/pinball hybrid game. It's a really strange game, as you might expect. You start in the Pac-Man maze and I only have a super blurry picture (I was trying to play at the same time) but it should give you an idea of how different it is:

There's no power pellets, the tunnels to the sides are blocked off, and there are tunnels going down. The game has a tiny screen and it looks like a Pac-Man knock-off computer game rather than an actual Pac-Man game. Pac-Man is the only thing animated in the maze, there's none of the shifting eyes or other features on the ghosts. To get the power pellets or the tunnels or fruit to appear, you have to exit the video game through the bottom of the play field which triggers the pinball section.

Despite the lamps not working, the pinball playfield on this cabinet was in pretty good shape. The paths weren't worn in, there weren't any real problems with anything sticking. It's a fairly small pinball play area and I think that works to the game's detriment; the flippers tend to send the ball with enough force that it can get some air off of of the rubber stoppers. You go through the right loop to unlock the tunnels, the left loop to get fruit to appear, and shoot the holes to get power pellets.

Once you drop out of the bottom of the pinball field you're back in the video area, but now the pinball exits are blocked. Whatever you earned on the pinball field is all you have to complete the maze. And the mazes are much tougher than normal Pac-Man. The ghosts do 180 turns and stalk you more closely. I got to the third maze after a few tries but it was hard. Once you die you can drop out to the pinball area again.

And there was one more thing hidden in the back room. It wasn't running, the picture tube was having some problems. But if Journey is rare and Baby Pac-Man is absurdly rare, then this is "poo poo your pants" rare:

Care to guess what it is from that dim picture? Hint: it's not bigfoot, but it might as well be. A 1971 Computer Space cabinet. The 101st arcade game ever manufactured going by the serial number in it.

Other cool but less exciting things I saw/got to play today: one of those sit down Sinistar cabinets with the chromed out laser guns on the front, the stupidly expensive super-bomb from Atari Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters, and a Holoseum which wasn't running though the game sucks so hard that's probably for the best. I also got to the fourth boss of Ghost 'n Goblins on one credit, which is a personal best.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 7, 2014

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Wow, I haven't seen a Journey arcade cabinet since my youth. There was one in a Circle K down the street from my house. Man, when's the last time you saw an arcade machine in a convenience store? A while for me.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I successfully recognized the game in that dark photo. That cabinet is so distinctive.

That's crazy to just stumble upon that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Discount Viscount posted:

I successfully recognized the game in that dark photo. That cabinet is so distinctive.

That's crazy to just stumble upon that.

They're planning on having an event when they unveil it for the arcade. I told him he should hold a tournament along with the Pong they've just acquired (though I've seen plenty of Pong machines over the years) and Tank (better known as the basis for Combat).

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
That Journey tape deck thing is rad as hell holy poo poo. I always thought that song worked well with arcades, guess I was right.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Saw some chat a few pages back about Culture Brain. I'm still waiting for someone to mention (Super) Baseball Simulator 1.000, one of the craziest and most fun baseball games ever. I mean, does it get better than pitching a ball that turns into a shotput, then hitting said shotput so it turns into a rocket and drills the shortstop into the outfield wall? I think not. :colbert:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I was always a fan of Bad News Baseball myself. Silly anime cutscenes and :pcgaming:TOP SECRET GIRL MODE:pcgaming:

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

Oh man, what a crazy day. I went shopping in town and decided to go to the arcade. Well, I thought I was just going to play some games for a bit, not run the gamut of almost all my holy grail arcade games that I thought I'd never get to play.

The first thing was tucked way back in the corner.

(Goddamnit, I've got to start carrying a proper camera on me when I go places instead of having to use my 3DS.)

If you haven't heard of it, the game is more well known for its weird features than for being good. It's also phenomenally rare (but its far from the rarest thing I played or saw today). The player controls the band Journey as they go on a cosmic adventure to collect their instruments and then play a concert. Each band member has their own stage where a sprite of an arcade guy with a digitized photo as the head does some basic arcade stuff (and each of them has a couple of different photos they use depending on the situation). Jump over obstacles, bounce off platforms, that kind of thing. When they reach their instrument it becomes a shooter as the band member has to blast their way out of the stage again. All the stages feature beep-bloop versions of Journey songs as you navigate them.

Well, all the stages except one. When all five members get their instruments they go to the concert and that's when the most memorable feature of Journey kicks in. A cassette player inside the cabinet provides the sound track for that stage as it plays "Separate Ways". So this was a really crazy game for 1983.

Obviously I had to get to the concert so I worked and worked at it to master the stages so that I could beat all five in one shot. Then the concert kicked in and... they didn't have the tape. But they did make it up to me, big time.

If you're curious about Journey, here's a video from a guy who restored a cabinet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNikyy11q5U

Heres a playlist of john from johns arcade restoring his. I can't embed it without SA removing the playlist =/

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Fryhtaning posted:

Saw some chat a few pages back about Culture Brain. I'm still waiting for someone to mention (Super) Baseball Simulator 1.000, one of the craziest and most fun baseball games ever. I mean, does it get better than pitching a ball that turns into a shotput, then hitting said shotput so it turns into a rocket and drills the shortstop into the outfield wall? I think not. :colbert:

Oh man, I didn't even realize that this was doing the ironic simulator nonsense that Goat Simulator would go on to do later on. :allears:

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I encountered a Journey cabinet at a pinball expo earlier this year, but I didn't know about the tape thing or that it was so rare. Perhaps I'll try to beat it if they bring it out next year.

On a different note, can anyone recommend me some good Amiga games? I decided to spend money on amiga forever since someone in the gog thread mentioned it was on sale, but I don't really know that much about the amiga catalogue. So far my favorite game has been Turrican 2, but I'll play anything especially if it has good music. Some C64 recommendations would also be welcome.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
As far as C64 goes, some favorites of mine are Archon/Archon 2, Pole Position, Zaxxon, and my favorite, Impossible Mission.

There's another game I used to play as a kid a lot, which I can't remember the name of - I want to say you're a submarine blowing up ships which are dropping depth charges on you, super simple game but pretty fun.

Radar Rat Race was cool too.

Man there's a lot I'm forgetting, I need to get around to digging through Lemon64 and filling my uIEC/SD and setting up my C64 again. It's been too long!

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Does anyone know where I can pick up a good SEGA Saturn mod chip? The link in the first post is out of stock (link goes to here: http://www.racketboy.com/store/sega-saturn/sega-saturn-modchip.html)

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Wamdoodle posted:

Man, when's the last time you saw an arcade machine in a convenience store? A while for me.

Way too long. Convenience stores always had the best shooters for some reason.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

On a different note, can anyone recommend me some good Amiga games?

If you're new to the system you gotta understand that a lot of Amiga games might seem less "good" than games from consoles of the era. Controls will probably be weird because you usually only get one button and eurodevs were just generally lovely at gameplay "feel", and a lot of games have either sound effects or music but not both at the same time. That said the Amiga can be rewarding to check out because there are some truly cool games in there but almost all of them are flawed in some way. It's definitely something where a game will have just absolutely incredible music and graphics but plays like total poo poo :350: Never, ever, play a port of a Japanese arcade game on the Amiga.

Anyway here are some good Amiga games:

:420: Agony - Owl shooter

:420: Walker - The guys who made GTA made a game where you kill Nazis with a giant robot

:420: Lionheart - Plays like doodoo but ridiculously pretty and atmospheric

:420: The Lotus games - Some of the best 2D racing games ever made

:420: Jaguar XJ220 - Another excellent 2D racer

:420: The Supercars games - Some of the best top-down racing games ever made

:420: Ruff n Tumble - You'll wish it played as good as it looks!

:420: Disposable Hero - Solid for a euroshmup

:420: The Cannon Fodder games - holy poo poo europeans figured out "gameplay"

:420: Alien Breed 92 - The only good Team 17 game besides Worms

EDIT:

:420: Pinball Dreams, Pinball Fantasies, Pinball Illusions - Absurdly good pinball games, probably second only to the Crush games on PCE/SNES. More realistic and less fantasy if that's your thing. If the pack of ROMs you paid money for (why did you do that) includes AGA games then absolutely play Slamtilt, the only good AGA game.

EDIT2:

Amiga emulation is apparently kinda confusing to people, here's an easy guide I wrote if you need to get WinUAE up and running: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&noseen=1&postid=430545696 one thing I forgot to mention here is to make sure you leave it set to PAL.

d0s fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 7, 2014

d34dm34t
Jul 21, 2007

Once again a simple trip to pick up a single item - a nicely restored TurboExpress in this case - goes horribly wrong.

The TurboExpress is glorious though. I'd never seen one in the flesh until this came along (it was never released in Europe) and it's even more peak-90s than I'd imagined. This is what it takes to play R-Type on the move for two, maybe two and a half hours:

Time to purchase shares in Duracell.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

d34dm34t posted:

Once again a simple trip to pick up a single item - a nicely restored TurboExpress in this case - goes horribly wrong.

The TurboExpress is glorious though. I'd never seen one in the flesh until this came along (it was never released in Europe) and it's even more peak-90s than I'd imagined. This is what it takes to play R-Type on the move for two, maybe two and a half hours:

Time to purchase shares in Duracell.

This is a trip gone horribly right, actually. Atari computers are awesome.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
As far as Amiga emulation goes, I have to recommend FS-UAE. It's a nice front-end for WinUAE that automagically downloads the right configurations for the games you feed it, has a nice optional "big picture" style UI for machines hooked up to a TV, is pre-configured for Xbox 360 controllers and if you have Amiga Forever it'll happily suck the Kickstart files out of that automatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

d0s posted:

If you're new to the system you gotta understand that a lot of Amiga games might seem less "good" than games from consoles of the era. Controls will probably be weird because you usually only get one button and eurodevs were just generally lovely at gameplay "feel", and a lot of games have either sound effects or music but not both at the same time. That said the Amiga can be rewarding to check out because there are some truly cool games in there but almost all of them are flawed in some way. It's definitely something where a game will have just absolutely incredible music and graphics but plays like total poo poo :350: Never, ever, play a port of a Japanese arcade game on the Amiga.

The problem here is you're playing arcade/console style games. PC never got this right until the mid-90s and by then it was dead. Play to the strength to the computer that consoles could never touch: RPGs, adventures, and strategy games.

Lemmings
Cannon Fodder is a good one
Another World and Flashback work well because they're very deliberate in their controls
It Came from the Desert
Chaos Engine
Dune, the original adventure/strategy hybrid one
Rock Star Ate My Hamster
Future Wars
Traps n Treasures is one of my favorite puzzle platformers
The Lost Vikings is up there as well
Quest for the Time Bird, an interactive comic book
Darkmere is one of the more contentious games I've played but I have a fondness for big chunky isometric games the Amiga was so good at doing
Tiny Troops (released really late, like 1997)
Cruise for a Corpse, basically the precursor to The Last Express
Buck Rogers Countdown to Doomsday

An exception to the "no good arcade port" is Rodland.

Of course most of the Amiga's catalog was ported to DOS or elsewhere but you can usually count on the Amiga version having the best graphics and sound. And if you play on an emulator you can speed up the horrendous load times!

• Locked thread