Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
Imagine you are tracking down your Nemesis that you are mildly irritated with, and then he turns into Sauron, summons 50 orcs, kicks the crap out of you and then teabags your corpse. Especially when he turns back into the orc and he makes fun of you in his cockney accent like the orc was the one who beat you. You'll be furious!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Actually I'd probably sigh because it'd be the twentieth time that session it had happened.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It would have been pretty rad if the final boss fight was basically Mr. Freeze. A powerful enemy who is vulnerable to things *once* and then becomes immune to him, encouraging you to use every ability and skill you've unlocked so far to damage him. An unstoppable monster who you sic monsters on, lure into traps, stab from above and frantically try to wear down would have felt cooler.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I was hoping the Tower was going that way but no, it was a fairly standard 'hit three times' thing.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

It would have been pretty rad if the final boss fight was basically Mr. Freeze. A powerful enemy who is vulnerable to things *once* and then becomes immune to him, encouraging you to use every ability and skill you've unlocked so far to damage him. An unstoppable monster who you sic monsters on, lure into traps, stab from above and frantically try to wear down would have felt cooler.
If there ever was a time to copy the Mr. Freeze fight, an all-out brawl in the middle of a horde of orc captains fighting each other with you and the final boss squaring off would have been it.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Donnerberg posted:

Heh, and then there's the PS3 and 360 which get a version without the nemesis system. Why even put it out at that point? :rolleyes:

:what: Are you for real right now?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Michaellaneous posted:

:what: Are you for real right now?

S/he is in no way joking.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

We're not 100% clear on what it is missing, just that it was outsourced, has some 'lesser' form of the Nemesis system and was massively delayed away from the next-gen version. Odds are very high it'll be a bit of a pile of rear end.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

This thing runs perfectly fine on my sub par PC why the gently caress would they do that for any other reason than sony and microsoft want people to buy the next console.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Donnerberg posted:

The horde fight before the final fight is pretty nice. They were on the right track capitalizing on your nemesis. Instead of the QTE end, there should just have been a boss rush of the biggest dudes you had defeated. Say Sauron or Saruman or someone brought them back to stop you.

Yeah, it would have been nice to rez whatever orc had killed you most or who you'd had the most encounters with and made him level 20 if you'd killed your nemesis rather than picking some dude I had never heard of to be my final nemesis. Could have had his head crudely bolted back on or something. With all the thought that went into the game I'm surprised they didn't have a better plan to deal with people who had hunted down and murdered all the orcs that had ever wronged them before heading across the sea. "Oh poo poo, loving Deathkill McMutilator is back!" would have been a far better reaction than "Huh, who is Shitdick the Neverheardof?"

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Michaellaneous posted:

This thing runs perfectly fine on my sub par PC why the gently caress would they do that for any other reason than sony and microsoft want people to buy the next console.
Your sub par PC has way better hardware than the PS3 or 360.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Al Nipper posted:

Looking forward to more aggressively stupid tags showing up in game.

EDIT: Also a reminder that it doesn't pick people from just your friends list. No idea if it just picks any Steam users currently playing the game or what.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I would unironically pay for extra DLC that let me sic orcs on other players. :colbert:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

poptart_fairy posted:

I would unironically pay for extra DLC that let me sic orcs on other players. :colbert:

Just have a red branded orc show up in the middle of a fight and spout off something like, "My Master sends his regards."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Michaellaneous posted:

How much RAM does your sub-par PC have? Because the answer is "more than the PS3/360." The same goes for my smartphone also.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Brainamp posted:

Just have a red branded orc show up in the middle of a fight and spout off something like, "My Master sends his regards."

Aaaagh, don't turn this into Souls of Mordor, my heart could not take the disappointment of a sequel not living up this ideal. :(

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

poptart_fairy posted:

That would be incredible. I'm sure someone out there has some ambusher crossbow-orc with deadly, quick shot, immune to all three types of damage, only fear is of a rival, and no last chance. Unleashing that on the world would just be a big "gently caress you" to everyone.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Pakled posted:

That would be incredible. I'm sure someone out there has some ambusher crossbow-orc with deadly, quick shot, immune to all three types of damage, only fear is of a rival, and no last chance. Unleashing that on the world would just be a big "gently caress you" to everyone.

I have an orc that is literally unkillable, so I'd find it amusing.

he's immune to all damage types, and has counter/slam/poison/fast attack/group. his only weakness was a fear of betrayal, but as soon as I branded him he lost it, so now he just has no weaknesses.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Anyone else just patch? Couldn't find any news on the matter.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
On the other end of the vendetta spectrum...

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Is there anyway to remove an ability, via console or save editing or some such? I bought the explody heads ability and I really hate it. The animation is too long and boring and it repeats constantly.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I too didn't care for the head exploding thing. When you first see it, it sounds awesome, but then it gets old quick.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Anyone else just patch? Couldn't find any news on the matter.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/externalpost/steam_community_announcements/521614893541208337

Nothing major at all.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Rookersh posted:

he's immune to all damage types, and has counter/slam/poison/fast attack/group. his only weakness was a fear of betrayal, but as soon as I branded him he lost it, so now he just has no weaknesses.

I don't think you can get immune to explosions, or basic hits, so no one is actually unkillable. Also, none of those immunities apply against orcs, or Graugs.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

Darkrenown posted:

Yeah, it would have been nice to rez whatever orc had killed you most or who you'd had the most encounters with and made him level 20 if you'd killed your nemesis rather than picking some dude I had never heard of to be my final nemesis. Could have had his head crudely bolted back on or something. With all the thought that went into the game I'm surprised they didn't have a better plan to deal with people who had hunted down and murdered all the orcs that had ever wronged them before heading across the sea. "Oh poo poo, loving Deathkill McMutilator is back!" would have been a far better reaction than "Huh, who is Shitdick the Neverheardof?"

I must have had it lucky, because that's exactly what happened to me. The dude who first killed me, and killed me most often returned for one final battle. We were dead even in our kills (3 and 3), so it was loving awesome to have a tie breaker right at the end of the game.

He had risen to level 20 before I left the first area too, so he was suitably powerful with lots of poison and bullshit resistances. He was the true final boss for me.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I too didn't care for the head exploding thing. When you first see it, it sounds awesome, but then it gets old quick.
I love all the other instant kill animations, there is so much variety I never notice seeing the same kill twice. If the exploding head thing had more than one animation, or was just a quick kill with the camera zoom it would be ok.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I still wince when he cuts out an orc's legs and decapitates them as they fall - but even that's nothing compared to when they're on the floor and he stabs them in the throat before breaking their neck. It's like, jesus christ Talion, calm down.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It also makes Flurry noticeably better. The game would be a lot harder for me without that and vaultstun.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Darkrenown posted:

I actually got really lucky with this. I had this one mostly-immune crossbower I chucked off a cliff once. Soon he came back with a metal plate on his head, saying it'd take more than a long fall to kill him. So I chucked him off another cliff. True to his word, it did take more than that, because he showed up a third time. The third time was the hardest -- I easily fought him four or five more times and he always managed to flee because I was swamped with other orcs and out of arrows (since that was all he was weak to) and he ran really fast. Finally I caught up to him on one last confrontation near the fishery and threw him off a cliff into the sea. That was the last I saw of him. Soon his spot on the orc roster was filled which is a pretty surefire indication of "gone for good".

Then he loving rears his ugly, mutilated head at that showdown. It was pretty incredible. At that point I'd single-try bulldozed so many other officers he was just about the only orc that WOULD have made me take notice (or that I'd even recognize), and I was so sure I had seen the last of him that it was a genuine surprise. I was grinning in spite of my hate for the guy. What a perfect choice. Well done, game.

Rookersh posted:

You can still blow him up and catch him on fire.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 11, 2014

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

poptart_fairy posted:

I still wince when he cuts out an orc's legs and decapitates them as they fall - but even that's nothing compared to when they're on the floor and he stabs them in the throat before breaking their neck. It's like, jesus christ Talion, calm down.

You're talking about the one where he makes them fall on the sword? Yeah that one is my second favorite.

The best is when you do a ground finisher from a bit away and he pulls the orc by the leg closer to him so he can stab him in the throat :gonk:

that one and the brutalize kill from a ledge

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Skandranon posted:

I don't think you can get immune to explosions, or basic hits, so no one is actually unkillable. Also, none of those immunities apply against orcs, or Graugs.

Combat master makes him invulnerable to basic attacks and executions.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

poptart_fairy posted:

Talion just really likes his Macbeth. Safe in a ditch th'orc bides,/With twenty trenchèd gashes on his head,/The least a death to nature. :unsmigghh:

Orv
May 4, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

This game has my favorite unfeasible melee kill move, which is casually dropping a dude on a sword that you're holding pommel to the ground, and whispering sweet nothings in his ear.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I did 16 main missions then hit a wall. I assumed I had to do this influence 5 warchiefs thing in order to get another main mission. Nope I gotta do the dwarf missions which I thought were side-missions. Holy poo poo I wasted so much goddamn time getting those 5.

Also that final fight is so hilariously bad. Great game though.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

James Woods Fan posted:

I did 16 main missions then hit a wall. I assumed I had to do this influence 5 warchiefs thing in order to get another main mission. Nope I gotta do the dwarf missions which I thought were side-missions. Holy poo poo I wasted so much goddamn time getting those 5.

Also that final fight is so hilariously bad. Great game though.

If it's any consolation, you have to do both. :v:

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Pakled posted:

If it's any consolation, you have to do both. :v:

Good. I was so furious thinking I had done all that for no reason. One in particular was an absolute bastard. I had to dominate his top-shelf (thanks to my dumbass) bodyguards before battle and do a betrayal mission. They ganked his rear end like Caesar.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Brainamp posted:

Combat master makes him invulnerable to basic attacks and executions.

It only makes them immune to executions and other finishing moves (end move of flurry, combat drain, ground execution). You can hit them normally to build up combos/do tiny damage. There is a different ability where they can counter basic attacks, like Berserkers. Also, it only makes them immune to the combat finishers where you have to touch them. Wraith Flash and Wraith Burn still work.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Vib Rib posted:

You can still blow him up and catch him on fire.
He's also not immune to drain if he's not blocking wraith stun from the front at least. If you get him alone you can smash E a ton and drain him to death.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait after branding 5 warchiefs that's it? I really need to start waiting for sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That's the final goal of the second zone, to be fair.

I can see why someone would be wary of the game at full price but it definitely encourages general loving around more than some other sandbox games, as the Nemesis system keeps mixing things up a chunk and the runes nudge you towards pushing orc groups to become tougher and stronger. All the collectibles, etc, will take a bit of time as well but I know they're not for everyone. If you rush to the end then you're missing out a lot as the 'campaign' is more a glorified tutorial than anything.

• Locked thread