Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Sockington posted:

Just bought a toolbox worth more than the original price of the 323. :v:

Awww it looks like it wants to give you a hug. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

8ender posted:

Awww it looks like it wants to give you a hug. :unsmith:

I gave it a hug back.

eNady
Sep 5, 2006

Sockington posted:

I gave it a hug back.

thats beautiful.... your living my dream

bear scrylls
Aug 28, 2008

Sockington posted:

So, Sunday Nov. 2 to Saturday Nov. 8 (one week), I will have BEEN AT WORK for 88 out a possible 168hrs. That'll work out to be over $2K for one week's work.
Be careful working those kind of hours regularly, I've had to look at a ton of incident reports from mines about employees and contractors that have died after running off the road or into another car after finishing up their 4th or 5th consecutive 16 hour shift.

While nobody where I work has been involved they take fatigue extremely seriously, if someone finishes up a long shift at 3am and feels like they shouldn't be driving they can ring the field service manager and he'll arrange transport. He's even gotten out of bed and driven a couple of hours to personally collect someone.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Mastercraft Maximum.

Craftsman eat your heart out.

I love my Maximum tools, and there's something on sale every week so I just keep buying poo poo I dont need/already have.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Dancing Hog posted:

Mastercraft Maximum.

Craftsman eat your heart out.

They are great tools. Hell even the Jobmate tools are pretty good. I've got a few Jobmate power tools that have taken enormous abuse. Canadian Tire is the best.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

Dancing Hog posted:

Mastercraft Maximum.

I have beat the poo poo out of my maximum wrenches. Still going strong, and never rounds bolts. Plus, they were 75% off.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Mazda 323 - now with more lumber support!

Also, wtf winter.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sockington posted:

I loving love hatchbacks.

Edit: and puns

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

Sockington posted:

Also, wtf winter.

Is half your car just unpainted metal? how hasn't it rusted to a swiss cheese hulk yet? especially in those weather conditions?

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

Sockington posted:

Are you making a 323 Wood paneled wagon?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Sgt Fox posted:

because that would be loving AWESOME

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Some Guy From NY posted:

Is half your car just unpainted metal? how hasn't it rusted to a swiss cheese hulk yet? especially in those weather conditions?

Something like that. I just take care of it bit by bit.

Sgt Fox posted:

Nope, making a kickass workbench.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sockington posted:

Nope, making a kickass workbench.

poo poo dang dude, from the looks of it, you plan to be dropping engine blocks off the roof onto the table. "Overbuilt" is an understatement!

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
That workbench is going to be loving awesome. When will the work continue on the 323?! I had a '92 Protege a few years back, I love seeing a similar being worked on. :)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Sterndotstern posted:

you plan to be dropping engine blocks off the roof onto the table.

If you build it, they will come.

I just got my cheque for last week. A paltry 50hours of overtime ontop of the regular 40hours. Those ~6hours must have been when I primed the fender that one day... jeez, I'm slacking.

Anywho, tomorrow will be a trip to pick up a couple goodies to compliment the work bench.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
I'd consider covering the workbench in osb or plywood or something, 2x4s tend to warp

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

deratomicdog posted:

I'd consider covering the workbench in osb or plywood or something, 2x4s tend to warp

Thought about doing that, but a huge sheet of OSB fits like poo poo in the back of the 323.

I'll just check the plane of the wood before it goes on and try and put it that way. I'm basically building a deck in workbench form.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Sockington posted:

I'm basically building a deck in workbench form.

You need some tiny chairs with an umbrella for shade.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

You need some tiny chairs with an umbrella for shade.

This is all I could find. :(

Boo ya. Time to build up the corner to support the fucker now.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Sockington posted:

Thought about doing that, but a huge sheet of OSB fits like poo poo in the back of the 323.

Sorry to interrupt, just have to mention that you normally get a few 'free cuts' when buying large sheet of plywood. You wont like that 2x4 top, it will wrap, things will fall in the cracks (when it contracts or expand due to humidity and leave gaps) and generally wont be nearly as neat as a plywood top. Doubling 1/2 plywood is usually a good idea for strength, too, btw. Laminate it with all purpose construction glue and some galv screws (from underneat) and you'll have a workbench that will last a life time.

Here, back to your normal sock-schedule.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

IsaacNewton posted:

Sorry to interrupt, just have to mention that you normally get a few 'free cuts' when buying large sheet of plywood. You wont like that 2x4 top, it will wrap, things will fall in the cracks (when it contracts or expand due to humidity and leave gaps) and generally wont be nearly as neat as a plywood top. Doubling 1/2 plywood is usually a good idea for strength, too, btw. Laminate it with all purpose construction glue and some galv screws (from underneat) and you'll have a workbench that will last a life time.

Here, back to your normal sock-schedule.

I had a 1/2" thick rubber mat I was going to lay down on the length of the table as my "work surface".

I never though to ask about getting the OSB cut (had done it there before, stupid me) into 8'x 2' sheets...

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Sockington posted:

This is all I could find. :(

gently caress yeah, I love Powerfist.

Animedork2075
Aug 31, 2005

Burning Tires with Burning Spirit!
:kamina:

Sockington posted:

I had a 1/2" thick rubber mat I was going to lay down on the length of the table as my "work surface".

I never though to ask about getting the OSB cut (had done it there before, stupid me) into 8'x 2' sheets...

Something I learned works well. All of our work benches have carpet on them. We can pick up scrap sections from local carpet shops for free. Clean it when you want, and replace it when you can't.

VVVVV That's exactly why I do it. Really nice. Also, it keeps those gnarly gouges out of the main surface. It's also softer on more fragile parts.

Animedork2075 fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 22, 2008

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Animedork2075 posted:

Something I learned works well. All of our work benches have carpet on them. We can pick up scrap sections from local carpet shops for free. Clean it when you want, and replace it when you can't.

This is actually a drat good idea. I built a bench myself with a polyurethaned plywood top, but a bit of carpet would sure as hell stop those tiny rolly parts from making their way inevitably onto the floor.

Doctor Bud
Jul 25, 2008

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
We need a workbench and garages thread. Nice bench sock, but I'd rather see this 323 finished sooner.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Sockington posted:

If you ever, ever plan on using any sort of welding or flame based equipment, you might want to reconsider covering your work surface in something that's readily flammable. OSB's pretty good, but it does suck up moisture like a :10bux: whore, whereas 3/4" plywood will take pretty much any abuse you can toss at it. As was mentioned before, if you have a work surface out of a 4x8 sheet of 3/4, doubled up, you're set. If you're really concerned about poo poo falling off, just tack a small rub-rail around the edges, maybe out of 1x2 or something.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

8ender posted:

gently caress yeah, I love Powerfist.

Me too, I use a 5" vise for almost all of my blacksmithing needs.

That bench looks awesome Sock.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Good call on the plywood. I'll be picking it up tomorrow.

But what to do with all those 2x4s? Make a lower storage are that will help add dead weight when I need to do heavy poo poo on the vise.

To all those fuckers complaining about the lack of work on the 323, I'm tired of trying to hold poo poo with my foot while attempting to turn a wrench. gently caress that. I'm beyond that monkey-level poo poo now - take a couple days and I'll have a thousand times less stress when working in the garage with ANYTHING. Need a spare hand? Bammo - vise is there.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 24, 2008

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I approve of your ridiculously overbuilt work bench.

Jonontherun
Nov 29, 2003

Brooooooooooooom

Sockington posted:

To all those fuckers complaining about the lack of work on the 323, I'm tired of trying to hold poo poo with my foot while attempting to turn a wrench. gently caress that. I'm beyond that monkey-level poo poo now - take a couple days and I'll have a thousand times less stress when working in the garage with ANYTHING. Need a spare hand? Bammo - vise is there.

I wish I had a vice in the garage. It would have come in handy lots of times. Much better than the couple of C-clamps I used to hold poo poo to my work bench.

Also I'm loving your design. I built my coffee table out of oak 4x4s and never looked back. You could park a truck on the thing and I love it.

Dark Voice
Feb 4, 2005
Behold the might of the rabid hamster army

8ender posted:

I approve of your ridiculously overbuilt work bench.

I'll second that approval!

Captain Cannabis
Sep 30, 2005

Professional Bongologist
Really nice looking bench, Im sure it will last decades.

One possible tip, my Dad has a similarly designed bench and put all of his expensive power tools on the lower bench. A few years back someone walked right in while the door was up and grabbed what they could. You may wanna do what we did and just put plywood around the back/sides then just build little doors on hinges in the front that could be locked in the center. Makes it look pretty tidy too.

Doctor Bud
Jul 25, 2008

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
By the time suggestions are done being made, sock have a full god damned suite of furniture for his garage. All built by himself.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
My dad made his workbench at his father's furniture shop back when he still owned his furniture company (Georgia Maple Block). The top is butcher block-style maple and the legs may very well be maple as well. It's made of 2"x2" (or something close to that) solid planks and is the best work bench I've ever used. Plenty of shelving on the bottom and a big loving vise mounted on the right corner. The top is sanded nice and smooth (just like a butcher block) so nothing gets stuck in cracks or seams.

While it's the best bench on the planet, I'm glad we've never moved with it. It is loving HEAVY. In all seriousness, that bitch has to top 250 lbs with nothing on it. We have a bar made in a similar fashion and I dropped one end of it on my leg while moving it once. Didn't break my leg, but bruised the poo poo out of it and left a dent in my thigh that's still there.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

bandman posted:

...left a dent in my thigh that's still there.

Are you a robot?

e: I'm just trying to figure out how flesh dents and... nope. No idea.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Decided to be a fancy man and get a 8'x4'x 3/4" sheet of maple instead of plywood or OSB. Much nicer.

Beep! Beep! More wood ahoy!

Decided to treat myself with a new drill.

Getting ready to glue my two 3/4" sheets together.

And screw it all together.

And then you have a kickass workbench.

Other than lighting, most of my work can go back onto cars for now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I always have a good day when I see a new post by Sockington in this thread.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Puting a computer on the bench too? If so be sure to take before/after pics of the greasy keyboard. :v:

Also, I'm learning how fun it is to wrench on a car in the cold, I have a wood stove in my garage but it has a hard time keeping up when it gets below 20.

And gently caress rust it sucks :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Shouldn't you pain the bench? You wouldn't want IT to rust would you?

• Locked thread