Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rianlee
Jan 15, 2009
Pillbug

WarLocke posted:

e: Do 'bonus' sub-quests ever give you anything but more experience? I've never noticed loot or an actual physical reward from them. If it's just XP, it's that much easier to ignore them.

What I've noticed is that you often get planetary commendation drops with those bonus quests, but then I'm only on Balmorra, and I could be making connections where there is none.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Rianlee posted:

What I've noticed is that you often get planetary commendation drops with those bonus quests, but then I'm only on Balmorra, and I could be making connections where there is none.

Unless its changed recently, the ones that had multiple stages resulted in planetary comms. The rest were just an xp bonus. Not sure if there were any creds associated with either version.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So, apparently people are getting suspensions for sticking CM +41 stat crystals into legacy gear to send off to alts on their legacy, due to the fact that it bypasses the Collections system and allows them to start making infinite on every character without paying the Cartel Coin cost for unlocking the collection for their account.

Might want to avoid doing that, guys.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You get as many copies as you want once you have something in your collection?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

hobbesmaster posted:

When it is in your collection, you can then spend a CC cost to unlock it. Once unlocked, any of your characters can have one. That's how I understood it at least.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Yes. That's how it looks with crystals anyways. I made 4 or 5 just by clicking the market "add to inventory" button a couple times.

It only cost 60 cartel coins to unlock it for all of your alts. Seems a lot less hassle than playing with legacy gear. Also seems silly to ban people over 60 cartel coins.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

KittyEmpress posted:

So, apparently people are getting suspensions for sticking CM +41 stat crystals into legacy gear to send off to alts on their legacy, due to the fact that it bypasses the Collections system and allows them to start making infinite on every character without paying the Cartel Coin cost for unlocking the collection for their account.

Might want to avoid doing that, guys.

Why the hell would they start suspending people over using legacy gear? That's what it's for, jesus christ. Yes, I get that they're annoyed that there's a workaround for ONE item in the collections system, but it's using in game items with no shady business whatsoever.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Why the hell would they start suspending people over using legacy gear? That's what it's for, jesus christ. Yes, I get that they're annoyed that there's a workaround for ONE item in the collections system, but it's using in game items with no shady business whatsoever.

The shady business is the duping of the legacy crystals I think?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

They aren't suspending people over using Legacy Gear for other things. They're suspending people over using Legacy Gear to subvert the collections system cost to fully equip every alt and companion in the crystals without paying the fee.

Basically: Do not send legacy gear with Cartel Market items inside it.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

KittyEmpress posted:

They aren't suspending people over using Legacy Gear for other things. They're suspending people over using Legacy Gear to subvert the collections system cost to fully equip every alt and companion in the crystals without paying the fee.

Basically: Do not send legacy gear with Cartel Market items inside it.

Maybe they should have thought to patch that or give a warning rather than outright suspending people for doing something in-game that isn't restricted at all?

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Hi thread! I just downloaded the game and all the restrictions on character creation are killing me. In your opinions, is the sub worth it if you're curious about the game? Thinking of playing around with it, maybe take a look at some of the endgame stuff.

Dr. Video Games 0155
Aug 24, 2004

If in doubt, throw more men at it!
I jumped in brand new and fresh about three weeks ago, i can assure you that subbing for at least one month at the very least is absolutely worth it.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Maybe they should have thought to patch that or give a warning rather than outright suspending people for doing something in-game that isn't restricted at all?

Maybe they should have. But it's happening so hey, don't do it.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Promethium posted:

Re: Inquisitor

If you are playing an alien yourself, Talos also has a line telling you that Kallig was an alien; otherwise it's left vague to make the family connection still work. As far as playing a pureblood goes, the Sith had a caste system that included some of their own species among the slave caste, perhaps along 'racial' lines that would be easy for other Sith to see.

Yeah that all makes sens. I figured I missed out on something due to my character's race.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Fifteen of Many posted:

Hi thread! I just downloaded the game and all the restrictions on character creation are killing me. In your opinions, is the sub worth it if you're curious about the game? Thinking of playing around with it, maybe take a look at some of the endgame stuff.

Personally?

No.

By the time you hit 40-45ish, you'll have more then enough money to repurchase 1-2 races off the GTN. By the time you have a second lvl 30 character, you'll be able to buy the rest if you really want them.

Sub get's you three things. It unlocks everything right off the bat, it gives you a 25% boost to exp gain up at all times ( over "launch"/default speed ), and it gives you 500 Cartel Coins per month. However if you can handle playing a Human/Zabrak/Cyborg for your first character, you'll easily be able to start unlocking aliens/stuff/cosmetic stuff easily with in game money, and it's a permanent upgrade.

General thread consensus is that you should sub for a single month, get to 50 off the exp boost, then when you can do dailies, turn around and finance all the species/cosmetic/content unlocks to make life easier for yourself. And while that's a really good idea if you want to get into/get back into the game, if you are only curious, I'd suggest going Human/Zabrak/Cyborg, playing to 10-15 or so, and seeing if you enjoy the game before putting down a sub.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stan S. Stanman posted:

Yes. That's how it looks with crystals anyways. I made 4 or 5 just by clicking the market "add to inventory" button a couple times.

It only cost 60 cartel coins to unlock it for all of your alts. Seems a lot less hassle than playing with legacy gear. Also seems silly to ban people over 60 cartel coins.

The cost depends on the crystal mod. 60 is for Endurance.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Fifteen of Many posted:

Play through the game a little to see if the game is your thing. If it is, you can make the decision for dropping $15 should be pretty easier.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, according to the SWTOR forums at least one of them costs 600CC to unlock for your whole legacy.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Aphrodite posted:

People use non-Endurance crystals?

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Well cool! I'm in on Jedi Covenant Imp side as Lychaedus if a That's No Goon goon wouldn't mind sending an invite my way.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

WarLocke posted:

People use non-Endurance crystals?

The endurance ones are good for twinks, but higher level DPS and Heals should have the power ones (which is why the power ones are so much more expensive)

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

WarLocke posted:

e: Do 'bonus' sub-quests ever give you anything but more experience? I've never noticed loot or an actual physical reward from them. If it's just XP, it's that much easier to ignore them.

Sometimes the quest NPC will comment on the fact you completed the bonus, but it's usually just a throwaway line. There are some light story elements to completing the bonus quests during the Thana Vesh arc as well.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T
How often do quests glitch on you guys? I had [HEROIC 2+] Saving Face on DK and Crash Course on Balmorra both glitch out and not give me the "return to quest giver" objective.

It took me several tries with a group at 17 to do Saving Face, and it didn't even let me get the prize, and and I apparently still can't solo it at 20 with Quinn for heals. More and more Elite Fatmen pop out the woodwork every time I've tried that quest.

Basically, what I'm asking is, do I NEED heroics and the occasional glitched sidequest?? I just finished everything else on Balmorra, aside from the Bonus Series. Those comms make them look SO ATTRACTIVE, but if they're not gonna register and I can't solo them after a whole planet later, that sounds pretty crappy to me.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Doc Dee posted:

How often do quests glitch on you guys? I had [HEROIC 2+] Saving Face on DK and Crash Course on Balmorra both glitch out and not give me the "return to quest giver" objective.

It took me several tries with a group at 17 to do Saving Face, and it didn't even let me get the prize, and and I apparently still can't solo it at 20 with Quinn for heals. More and more Elite Fatmen pop out the woodwork every time I've tried that quest.

Basically, what I'm asking is, do I NEED heroics and the occasional glitched sidequest?? I just finished everything else on Balmorra, aside from the Bonus Series. Those comms make them look SO ATTRACTIVE, but if they're not gonna register and I can't solo them after a whole planet later, that sounds pretty crappy to me.

If your goal is to just level quickly its often faster to just plug away at the missions and skip the extra stuff. Youll miss out on some gear and comms. I skipped a lot of that with my stealth classes and didnt have any major issues.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Incidentally if you are not getting credit for Saving Face it is very likely because someone in your group started the detonation step and skipped ahead before you looted the explosives yourself. It is a rather poorly designed quest in that regard since everyone in the group has to loot the explosives off the dead body instead of just one player.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Rookersh posted:

Personally?

No.

By the time you hit 40-45ish, you'll have more then enough money to repurchase 1-2 races off the GTN. By the time you have a second lvl 30 character, you'll be able to buy the rest if you really want them.

Sub get's you three things. It unlocks everything right off the bat, it gives you a 25% boost to exp gain up at all times ( over "launch"/default speed ), and it gives you 500 Cartel Coins per month. However if you can handle playing a Human/Zabrak/Cyborg for your first character, you'll easily be able to start unlocking aliens/stuff/cosmetic stuff easily with in game money, and it's a permanent upgrade.

General thread consensus is that you should sub for a single month, get to 50 off the exp boost, then when you can do dailies, turn around and finance all the species/cosmetic/content unlocks to make life easier for yourself. And while that's a really good idea if you want to get into/get back into the game, if you are only curious, I'd suggest going Human/Zabrak/Cyborg, playing to 10-15 or so, and seeing if you enjoy the game before putting down a sub.

It should also be noted that it's not a bad idea to make your first character a boring ol' human anyway, since unlocking them gives you +100 Presence for all characters. It's not a big deal, since I'm sure you can just buy a human species unlock off the AH for a fairly reasonable amount of credits (though I don't see one up there right now, at least on my server), but completing a human character's storyline will unlock it for free.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Crindee posted:

It should also be noted that it's not a bad idea to make your first character a boring ol' human anyway, since unlocking them gives you +100 Presence for all characters. It's not a big deal, since I'm sure you can just buy a human species unlock off the AH for a fairly reasonable amount of credits (though I don't see one up there right now, at least on my server), but completing a human character's storyline will unlock it for free.

Uh, I think Human is the only species who's unlock isn't available through the Cartel Market, and thus through the Grand Trade Network.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

KittyEmpress posted:

Uh, I think Human is the only species who's unlock isn't available through the Cartel Market, and thus through the Grand Trade Network.

It's also the cheapest regular unlock...I think it's like 50k credits. Worth it for the alts.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Medullah posted:

It's also the cheapest regular unlock...I think it's like 50k credits. Worth it for the alts.

Holy poo poo, I just checked a couple races and assumed they were all 1.5mil. 50k for an instant +100 Presence? Hell yes.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

WarLocke posted:

Holy poo poo, I just checked a couple races and assumed they were all 1.5mil. 50k for an instant +100 Presence? Hell yes.

I'm pretty sure it's not actually that cheap, so it is cheaper than the other races. It's either 500k or 1 mil for humans vs 1.5 mil for the others, I think.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

kmzh posted:

I'm pretty sure it's not actually that cheap, so it is cheaper than the other races. It's either 500k or 1 mil for humans vs 1.5 mil for the others, I think.

Yep, I think you're right. Don't know where I got 50k from.

Still, cheaper than 1.5 mil, and worth it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So FYI, apparently if you have a full ops group and queue it with the operations mode set to hard 8 person the GF ops will be hard mode.

In other news Operator IX is a bitch on HM. So hard to hold threat as a sin without using your aoes.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
First timer trip report! I started a sith warrior and managed to play through all of Korriban last night. The game seems fun. Big thing that caught me right away was the landscapes are really pretty. Korriban was nice to look at and having the different setting was a nice break from GW2 (Which I'm also enjoying) and WoW's more fantasy settings. I was a little annoyed by the fairly boring race options after SWG let me be a drat ugly ithorian if I wanted (I mean there's literally green human as an option. Let me be a rodian dammit!)

Along with the art of the world, the sound design is just straight up phenomenal. The flourishes of music were scattered in all the right places and always matched the tone.

I wasn't anticipating being drawn in that much by the story, but I absolutely was. I've been through the BioWare formula in basically all their other games, so I'm not sure what was different here. Maybe the setting was one I really enjoy and so I was able to buy in a little more? I dunno, but either way I enjoyed my pursuit to be Darth Fatty's apprentice and the climax of the planet was pretty satisfying.

The combat took some adjusting to. I found myself running from enemies and madly tapping my GW2 dodge button out of habit but to no avail. It seems like some of the enemies could really kick my rear end and there wasn't much I could do about it, but I may be missing something. (If anyone has any insight, please! I don't seem to have a way to heal beyond of a weak one time use medkit.) I haven't looked into "proper" rotations or anything but I will once I pick an advanced class and hit up a flashpoint.

All in all a pretty fun night, though. Looking forward to the next planet and getting my ship because I'm a nerd for Star Fox and played the hell out the old Rebel Assault click'em shooter game.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Fifteen of Many posted:

First timer trip report! I started a sith warrior and managed to play through all of Korriban last night. The game seems fun. Big thing that caught me right away was the landscapes are really pretty. Korriban was nice to look at and having the different setting was a nice break from GW2 (Which I'm also enjoying) and WoW's more fantasy settings. I was a little annoyed by the fairly boring race options after SWG let me be a drat ugly ithorian if I wanted (I mean there's literally green human as an option. Let me be a rodian dammit!)

Along with the art of the world, the sound design is just straight up phenomenal. The flourishes of music were scattered in all the right places and always matched the tone.

I wasn't anticipating being drawn in that much by the story, but I absolutely was. I've been through the BioWare formula in basically all their other games, so I'm not sure what was different here. Maybe the setting was one I really enjoy and so I was able to buy in a little more? I dunno, but either way I enjoyed my pursuit to be Darth Fatty's apprentice and the climax of the planet was pretty satisfying.

The combat took some adjusting to. I found myself running from enemies and madly tapping my GW2 dodge button out of habit but to no avail. It seems like some of the enemies could really kick my rear end and there wasn't much I could do about it, but I may be missing something. (If anyone has any insight, please! I don't seem to have a way to heal beyond of a weak one time use medkit.) I haven't looked into "proper" rotations or anything but I will once I pick an advanced class and hit up a flashpoint.

All in all a pretty fun night, though. Looking forward to the next planet and getting my ship because I'm a nerd for Star Fox and played the hell out the old Rebel Assault click'em shooter game.

As a Juggernaut or Marauder, you'll get a healing companion pretty soon so you'll be good there. You can also take Biochem as a crew skill (With Bioanalysis) and use reusable medpacs.

Best advice would be to do every quest you can, and look for people to do Heroics with, so you get the best gear you can as you level.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

hobbesmaster posted:

So FYI, apparently if you have a full ops group and queue it with the operations mode set to hard 8 person the GF ops will be hard mode.

In other news Operator IX is a bitch on HM. So hard to hold threat as a sin without using your aoes.

That whole entire operation was a bitch. I don't even want to imagine what Kephess and the giant beast thing at the end are like.

ThreeSixXero
Mar 12, 2013

Unprofessional design critic

wtftastic posted:

That whole entire operation was a bitch. I don't even want to imagine what Kephess and the giant beast thing at the end are like.

Kephess hits hard. Terror is just loving annoying.

Kinda like SM, but more so. Terror gets annoying on the third phase because the irregularities are harder to kill, and people need their poo poo together to take them down, but the Op has always been about having your poo poo together and knowing what you're going to do.

ThreeSixXero fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 23, 2013

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Heh, yep, found that out the hard way yesterday when we queued up a bunch of undergeared alts. Got S&V and all of a sudden adds are attacking the shield and I'm like, WTF?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

So apparently I have the self-control of a newt and while I was in GameStop yesterday (needed a Steam card to pre-order Shadowrun) I ended up asking the guy at the counter about Cartel Coin cards. I then spent $20 for a mini lobelor pet (oh and 2400CC).

It's me, I am the horrible person funding this game. :smithicide:

So, uh, any suggestions on what I can spend my ~3k CC on? I'm currently subbed, and I've bought one account-wide inventory unlock off the GTN. I also have the first rank of the single-character legacy experience boosts purchased. I'm kind of looking at more inventory and/or maybe another cargo tab, and the covert imperial uniform looks great for Quinn but gently caress the 1400CC for it.

All of the cartel sith outfits are crap, I just want something to match my Reinforced Phrik Chestguard I got way back on Dromund Kaas. :negative:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

ThreeSixXero posted:

Kephess hits hard. Terror is just loving annoying.

Kinda like SM, but more so. Terror gets annoying on the third phase because the irregularities are harder to kill, and people need their poo poo together to take them down, but the Op has always been about having your poo poo together and knowing what you're going to do.

Story mode is pretty much not a big deal up until Terror (unless you wipe to data cores!)and even the first phase of that final fight isn't too bad. There's just so much more mechanically going on, and so much more poo poo to contend with.

And HM Dashruude is insanely hard compared to SM- maybe its because I'm not in full 72s yet, but man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

WarLocke posted:

So apparently I have the self-control of a newt and while I was in GameStop yesterday (needed a Steam card to pre-order Shadowrun) I ended up asking the guy at the counter about Cartel Coin cards. I then spent $20 for a mini lobelor pet (oh and 2400CC).

It's me, I am the horrible person funding this game. :smithicide:

So, uh, any suggestions on what I can spend my ~3k CC on? I'm currently subbed, and I've bought one account-wide inventory unlock off the GTN. I also have the first rank of the single-character legacy experience boosts purchased. I'm kind of looking at more inventory and/or maybe another cargo tab, and the covert imperial uniform looks great for Quinn but gently caress the 1400CC for it.

All of the cartel sith outfits are crap, I just want something to match my Reinforced Phrik Chestguard I got way back on Dromund Kaas. :negative:

I share your terrible impulse control and bought some cartel coins a while ago. If you haven't already, get the stuff for for your ship, the GTN terminal, vendor droid and the mailbox are a godsend for no other reason than that loading times for your ship are so much lower than the fleet. Pretty much the only thing I take my alt onto the fleet for now is to buy crafting recipes and the vendor-bought mats. No real regrets at paying real money for that stuff.

• Locked thread