Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

From now on parasites will only infect bald people. Or they could morph away their hair and wear wigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

dogsicle posted:

toxic art supplies
Parasites are really bad at dealing with systemic injury since they're more of an amorphous blob of cells than a single individual

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

I was sure they were going to acknowledge that people who just had a limb taken are still human, but able to identify other parasites, and could potentially be recruited to cooperate with the authorities. But maybe the non brain occupying parasites are unknown to them?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Hocus Pocus posted:

I was sure they were going to acknowledge that people who just had a limb taken are still human, but able to identify other parasites, and could potentially be recruited to cooperate with the authorities. But maybe the non brain occupying parasites are unknown to them?

yeah they presumably have no idea this is even a thing yet

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

pandaK posted:

Yeah, this plan already seems to be inherently flawed in that way.

Not really. Humans outnumber parasytes. Losing an agent or two is still in humanity's favour.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Hocus Pocus posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure they have no idea that there's parasite/human hybrids who are mostly harmless but hiding themselves out of fear of what the government would do if it knew about them. They also probably don't know that some humans can detect parasites, like homewrecker girl, or they'd start using them as well.

I do have to say the whole "don't tell them we're a weird alien hybrid or they will dissect you" is actually an interesting one from a basic story telling standpoint. That is, most problems in stories could be handled by better communication (it's frustrating how recurring this is), but this problem stems from communication at all, making it a problem that cannot have an easy answer.

That said, there probably is an optimal method that Migi and Izumi could come up with to start communications with the government in a way that gives them an effective bargaining positioning, but it's probably too risky and there's no way it could work if Migi isn't up for it.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 4, 2014

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Too bad that parasites lead solitary lives and they have no one to pluck their hair.

Still, it was a smart plan. Oh well.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rexides posted:

Too bad that parasites lead solitary lives and they have no one to pluck their hair.

It would have worked pretty well on our most recent monster-of-the-week - at the very least, it would probably have acted as a deterrent against establishing oneself in a public space that would have saved a dozen or so schoolkids' lives.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

From now on parasites will only infect bald people. Or they could morph away their hair and wear wigs.

They.... covered that in the episode. They'll go for your eyebrows or nose hairs apparently.

My thing is, why didn't the girl tell her brother that paint-thinner fucks up a parasyte's cells?
I'd be spraying everybody if I knew that secret.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Thor-Stryker posted:

They.... covered that in the episode. They'll go for your eyebrows or nose hairs apparently.

My thing is, why didn't the girl tell her brother that paint-thinner fucks up a parasyte's cells?

as far as he knows all the paint thinner did was buy enough time to jump out the window. she didn't really have a chance to notice just how much it hosed him up.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Thor-Stryker posted:

We haven't seen her since her fall through the tree. Apparently she isn't too badly hurt, but she may well be hunched in a corner PTSD-ing out or something. I mean, she's got plenty of reason, not least 'holy poo poo I just triggered a school massacre'.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Thor-Stryker posted:

Seemed to me that it only messed it up as much as it did because it was in combat mode and mixed the paint thinner into his cells where he couldn't get it out. If you threw in their face when they were solid they'd just wash it off. I imagine it was like getting paint thinner on an exposed muscle and jerking away. But you are right anyone expected to fight the parasites should have a super soaker filled with thinner.

Padawan
Nov 27, 2014

Rexides posted:

I'd imagine they'll setup secure entrances to a majority of areas where doing the tests will be a requirement to pass.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Parasytes still have human bodies and can't necessarily dodge bullets.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

I can't help but wonder how the hell they engineered a fashion for saying hi by plucking the other person's hair out.

just start making comedy bits about it on popular shows, make a catchphrase out of it and poo poo

I hope we get to see the americans weaponized parasites

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

amuayse posted:

Start a fundraiser for some rare nerve disorder.

I felt this was underappreciated.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So I realize this is probably a realization that is way past it's due date but goddamn the Las Plagas in RE4 are literally just Shimada from this episode

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Resident Evil games have a long history of borrowing from stuff that Shinji Mikami likes.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Hocus Pocus posted:

That has to be it. People whose brains weren't taken, like Izumi, would have first withdrawn from society in an attempt to hide their... affliction, and later would have developed enough of a relationship with the parasite to make sure it doesn't draw attention or go on killing sprees while the human "guide" helps them navigate human society.

The ones that eat the brains get rid of the body's human element entirely, and so are much more likely to stand out in human society... though mostly it's because they're more likely to just murder poo poo when they feel its necessary.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
In the case of Shinichi and the other pair, I guess it's more like Symbiyte -the maxim-.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Four words, Shinichi. You could seriously solve most of your current issues with Murano with four choice words about your mother. :negative:

Does everybody already know? Are they keeping it a secret for some reason? It seems like a pretty big deal.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Parasytes getting organized is mighty scary.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

That dream sequence tho' :allears:

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Hocus Pocus posted:

The parasite horse was such an amazing touch.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Hocus Pocus posted:

Kana is amazing. I loved his arm turning into a sword and back again. Who wouldn't go for a prince like that?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I guess his mother is officially missing and presumed alive, but saying that would still be enough to explain his change really.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I agree that him mentioning 'oh yeah, mom's gone' would sort out a lot of his relationship problems. At the same time, given that he's been trapped in a hell of paranoia and fear for months, I can also see why a traumatized teenager might not be willing to share that.

Also, Kung Powasyte looks to be a pretty serious threat, possibly developed specifically to fight merged creatures like Shinichi. I'm assuming that he's some sort of chimera of three or more parasytes in a single host. There does seem to be a real escalation of the Parasyte threat with this new government experiment, and I'm fully on board with this.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Man-eating parasites are more concerned with the environment than humans, this makes a disturbing amount of sense :allears:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
What was meant by the "Kitaro and his dad" line?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The Vosgian Beast posted:

What was meant by the "Kitaro and his dad" line?

Gegege no Kitaro, I'd assume.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Oh, Kana, you romantic you. :allears:

And yeah, parasites starting to get organized, working together and doing complex planning is something you don't expect but that makes a lot of sense. Also drat scary.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Emalde posted:

Four words, Shinichi. You could seriously solve most of your current issues with Murano with four choice words about your mother. :negative:

Does everybody already know? Are they keeping it a secret for some reason? It seems like a pretty big deal.

Well, I guess Migi murdering her because he let her know about his secret would technically solve all his problems with her.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 12, 2014

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Well, I guess Migi murdering her because he let her know about his secret would technically would solve all his problems with her.
He doesn't even need to spill the big secret, just say "I'm pretty sure my Mom's dead and it's messed me up a lot."

Padawan
Nov 27, 2014

Paracelsus posted:

He doesn't even need to spill the big secret, just say "I'm pretty sure my Mom's dead and it's messed me up a lot."

That would make too much sense, I guess. This whole idea of her being all sad/confused about him being 'changed' is getting dragged way out.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Idek who stands around a dead person and then decide to chase down the bloody man who leaves the nearby building? It's getting difficult to suspend my sense of disbelief when I have random citizens doing crazy things. Most people who see a crime in progress tend to go in the other direction because survival instinct and all.

Also, Shinichi really had no friends ever huh? At least he as one now even if Migi's advice is terrible. I'm puzzled as why would that be comforting on any level for her nightmares?

I like the flowery fields.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Kana being a weird goon to Shinichi and dreaming about him ultra-buff atop a white horse saving her was the funniest poo poo. I love how low-key the comedy in this is.

I await fanart of Hokuto no Shin. :colbert:

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 12, 2014

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Kana being a weird goon to Shinichi and dreaming about him ultra-buff atop a white horse saving her was the funniest poo poo. I love how low-key the comedy in this is.
I wonder if her stunned reaction upon waking up was because she's amazed that she had such a childishly romantic dream, or she wondered why her crush' horse looked like a monster and his hand mutated.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I await fanart of Hokuto no Shin. :colbert:

They absolutely nailed that scene. I'm enjoying the way this show embellishes on the manga; the original art and character designs are okay, but the show really goes the extra mile filling in the details.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

They absolutely nailed that scene. I'm enjoying the way this show embellishes on the manga; the original art and character designs are okay, but the show really goes the extra mile filling in the details.

Yeah, they are doing a great job. I also like that characters look different enough (not only their hair) and you can know their age of if they are supposed to be attractive by just looking at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

trucutru posted:

Yeah, they are doing a great job. I also like that characters look different enough (not only their hair) and you can know their age of if they are supposed to be attractive by just looking at them.

Well, 'cept for Shimada. Never quite got how everyone was reacting to him as if he was superhot.

• Locked thread