Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I have some buddies that have been security guards in the past. They said it was pretty boring and lonely but good for getting writing or reading done. If everything was in place and in order when making rounds, they said they didn't even really remember checking on things. If something was out of place, or there was a weird sound or whatever, they noticed it very quickly and investigated thoroughly. What else are you gonna do to break the tedium? Guard duty seems to be a balancing act between alertness and combating tedium. Guards at military installations are rotated on short shift because of that, aren't they? I know some places have a guy watch the cameras for an hour and then switch with the guy patrolling the grounds and so on. There's really no way to have anyone be alert for an extended period of time unless you shake up the routine.

So, uh, I guess...be nicer to guards in games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Break Spot
Renovation Notice
Stone Circle: Diamond Circle
Unique Loot: Soul of the Automaton
Cryptic Letter
Off-Limits
Dead List
Stripping Procedure
Client Loot: Corneleus's Ring

Flowers Eternal

Courting nobles from the great houses once practiced the custom of exchanging floral jewellery beneath the now-vanished dome of Auldale Botanical Gardens. The jewelled bouquets represented a love that would never die.

Daisy Brooch

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Does anyone else see the resemblance? And did anyone point it out?

e: Thief Wiki at least did

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Does anyone else see the resemblance? And did anyone point it out?

e: Thief Wiki at least did

I get where you're coming from, but considering the ineptitude and pointless evil shown here?

EDIT: Would it be spoilers to ask Bobbin if there's going to be a "Ooooh... I'll come in and do it again!" moment later on? I have no intention of playing this game to find out, and it would make my day.

...Also completely unrepentant, it was plain as day that this guy is a Spanish Inquisitor with a Thief related theme.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 1, 2014

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

JamieTheD posted:

I get where you're coming from, but considering the ineptitude and pointless evil shown here?

I wasn't expecting this.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Professor Clumsy posted:

I wasn't expecting this.

No one ever does.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I really hate the Thiefsmeller Pursuivant (Thiefsmeller General?). He is probably the weakest part of this already weak game.

Also, wrist mounted crossbow.

Really.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

JamieTheD posted:

Professor Clumsy posted:

I wasn't expecting this.

RickVoid posted:

No one ever does.

I've reported all three of you, you awful people.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I actually laughed out loud at "THIEF! :argh:"

It's the small things :shobon:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Hymirvetr posted:

I really hate the Thiefsmeller Pursuivant (Thiefsmeller General?). He is probably the weakest part of this already weak game.

Also, wrist mounted crossbow.

Really.

Hey, it worked in Dishonored, so it must work here.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
He'd be a lot more effective if they didn't write EVIL on his forehead and have him act like a retard.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

"Robbing the dead? He's such an rear end in a top hat! I'd better get back to my mission of robbing the dead!"

Oh, New Garret. You dumbass.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Regarding your death: you're seemingly more vulnerable from behind, as according to a loading tip "Don't turn your back to the guards, they'll run you through!"

How this mechanic squares with the earlier loading tip I read of "Remember - you're a thief, running away is always an option!" or somesuch, I don't know. Perhaps I'm meant to power-moonwalk my way to safely in an emergency.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Prenton posted:

Regarding your death: you're seemingly more vulnerable from behind, as according to a loading tip "Don't turn your back to the guards, they'll run you through!"

How this mechanic squares with the earlier loading tip I read of "Remember - you're a thief, running away is always an option!" or somesuch, I don't know. Perhaps I'm meant to power-moonwalk my way to safely in an emergency.

Well since flashbombs don't enable a knockout anymore, I guess they did this to justify their price?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
"Don't turn your back on the guards if they're right next to you" might have been more consistent. Still, yeah.

If you're in a position where you have an entire courtyard of guards after you, You Done hosed Up. (or were the victim of an unavoidable cutscene. Whatevs.)

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
So. Much. Cutlery.

Thifourthf: What's Mine Is Forks. Ooh, and a nice little collection of brooches. For my belfry.

:shakes head:.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Yeah, I can't imagine why anyone sneaking into somebody's secret base would be interested in forks, no matter how tough things are all over. SEll the good poo poo, you dweeb, don't just collect it.

And in Continuing Sound Fuckups, this episode we saw subtitles for something Un-Garret could not possibly have heard, which not only clutters the screen, but takes away from the conversation he can hear. Ugh.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Prenton posted:

Maybe they're expecting you to do this?

Anyway I think this was the point in the game where I really started to notice how bad the writing is. I mean, 'he shoots his own men; that's how you know he's a bad guy' - really? It was like I was watching a dumb action movie from the Eighties. :commissar:

All the times the game gets you killed or discovered or pierced by traps or whatever via taking over the controls - and it happens a lot - had the same effect on me as on Bobbin in this video; after a while I just didn't care about stealth anymore and instead resorted to whatever would get me to the next section the fastest.

I've seen it said that if Thief 2014 is a sequel to anything, it's to Thief 3 - rather than Thief 1 and 2. Thief 3 had some similar problems with removing control, though much less severe and sort of inverted (at least with knock-outs). When going to blackjack someone, you'd be frozen in place, but the target would then stop whatever they were doing to shuffle over slightly into the perfect spot for the animation to play out. It felt clunky back then and - ten years later - they did a worse job in Thief 2014.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.

Night10194 posted:

"Robbing the dead? He's such an rear end in a top hat! I'd better get back to my mission of robbing the dead!"

Oh, New Garret. You dumbass.

Eh, I could see Old Garret saying the same thing. Old Garret was a pragmatic cynic, so he robbed from the dead but he wouldn't be above pointing out the hypocrisy of other people. "Yeah, I rob from the dead, but I never said I was above that. They act like they're above it." Basically, it's like when police break the speed limit. Yeah, everybody does it, but they pull people over for it then do it themselves.

Out of curiosity, is there a time limit for escaping, or do the guards never break down that door and come after you?

Cartheon fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 2, 2014

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's like with the murder thing, though. He makes a big deal of it like it's a moral thing, not a 'hah, assholes are no better than me' thing.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Night10194 posted:

It's like with the murder thing, though. He makes a big deal of it like it's a moral thing, not a 'hah, assholes are no better than me' thing.

Especially considering that Garrett insisted he doesn't rob graves back when he was talking to Basso. In Thi4f, the writing takes pains to show that Garrett has scruples, unlike those he's up against. In the old trilogy, all they did was show that Garrett was still a human being and then pitted him against villains who...really weren't.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.

Night10194 posted:

I'll give you that.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Especially considering that Garrett insisted he doesn't rob graves back when he was talking to Basso. In Thi4f, the writing takes pains to show that Garrett has scruples, unlike those he's up against. In the old trilogy, all they did was show that Garrett was still a human being and then pitted him against villains who...really weren't.

Right, and I mentioned my distaste for his "I don't rob graves" comment when it came up, pointing out the Bonehoard level from Thief I. I dislike New Garret greatly, but I'm not too annoyed at him pointing out the hypocrisy of the "good guys."

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
I agree on that little lock-opening animation for the absurd machine room key, woulda been a nice touch if Garrett hosed around with it. Like how in Metal Gear Rising, there's at least one cutscene where somebody doesn't put in the USB connector properly, then tries to turn it, then does it again and it fits, just a nice detail like that.

And uh yeah I'm not enjoying this game's cast, frankly I'm just here for shits and giggles to see what new stuff can be looted. What a oval office rear end in a top hat.
I also, as someone with a hearing problem, am really REALLY loving pissed off with this lovely timing on the subtitling, that's the one true thing that has stopped me from getting any interest in purchasing this game. :argh: gently caress's SAKE!

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 2, 2014

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
I'm no expert on accents, but if there is a New York gangster one, at one point it sounded like Garrett was slipping into that. The sad thing is, it happened before he met the big bad guy.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
One thing that strikes me about this game is just how petty 95% of the loot is. Ooh, 3 gold, that'll really pay the rent. If Garrett had rent in this one, anyway.

I had similar issues with thieving in Oblivion (and it looks like probably Skyrim, too). Morrowind had actual loot to rob people of. In Oblivion, I hope you like vegetables and 5 gold silverware.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Again, Garrett nicking pretty much only silverware and solid-cast metal objects is pretty much exactly the kind of poo poo a real thief would steal. Not everyone has piles of coin and jewelry laying around. Processed metal in general is valuable, and flatware/flasks/inkwells/watches are easy to carry.

The fact they couldn't put in a bit more work and make stuff that would likely fit the levels a bit more is what makes it look silly. Like, that chest at the end having a pile of gold/silver cufflinks, rings, loose change, maybe even a gross pile of gold teeth and fillings that Garret kinda just sweeps into a bag in one motion would've been a nice touch.

Instead the level designers only had the standard fare to work with, shrugged, and put a pile of flatware in it.

Also that center room is a loving pain in the rear end. I managed to just barely clean that room out without knocking the guards or the royal whatever guy out and without getting spotted but it took me like 15-20 minutes.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

It's a ridiculous moral stance anyway. Robbing the dead is about as close to a victimless crime as you can get when it comes to stealing stuff. You don't have to worry that your stealing food from the mouths of babes when your swiping swanky poo poo out of a crypt.

No, what this is, it's a status thing. Robbing the dead is taboo for a number of reasons (like plague), and graverobbers tend to be the most desperate, lowest of the low kinda types you could find. Even criminals have hierarchy and social status see. You can bet your last dollar that Mister goes-it-alone, fancy tools having, I Live In A loving Clocktower Master Thief Garret doesn't want to be associated with the lower orders.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Again, Garrett nicking pretty much only silverware and solid-cast metal objects is pretty much exactly the kind of poo poo a real thief would steal. Not everyone has piles of coin and jewelry laying around. Processed metal in general is valuable, and flatware/flasks/inkwells/watches are easy to carry.

The fact they couldn't put in a bit more work and make stuff that would likely fit the levels a bit more is what makes it look silly. Like, that chest at the end having a pile of gold/silver cufflinks, rings, loose change, maybe even a gross pile of gold teeth and fillings that Garret kinda just sweeps into a bag in one motion would've been a nice touch.

Instead the level designers only had the standard fare to work with, shrugged, and put a pile of flatware in it.

Also that center room is a loving pain in the rear end. I managed to just barely clean that room out without knocking the guards or the royal whatever guy out and without getting spotted but it took me like 15-20 minutes.

That's pretty much exactly why Thi4f misses the mark, I feel. At the end of a level devoted to being "a huge loving fire for corpses", you steal... a gold cutlery set, which has no business being there, about 40g in coins, and a ring.

Hell, the majority of the time you're finding neat stuff that should net you a shitload of money, but Garrett keeps it. It's not as if Garrett isn't finding fantastic poo poo to sell, he totally is, he's just choosing to hold onto it. If Garrett doesn't ultimately sell all of those sets to Basso, I'm going to be so loving disappointed.

There's a dozen ways that could be spun better. Have them be high-profile sets that are owned by certain collectors that just happen to be around The City, or in certain missions. Open the endgame safe and find the ring form the corpse--along with another ring for a set! Put together these Wanted Sets for high-profile buyers, sell the lot for fat loot. No, instead, Garrett just thinks they look neat and keeps them.

Even more frustrating, I think, is how little effort was put into the gears. You just find gears and poo poo laying in piles of trash. Random scissors on a table in a back room, big whoops. Garrett used to sneak into churches and steal prized bottles of wine from under the noses of the clergy, or steal silver-sets from the private rooms of the nobles. Nowadays, everybody has a spare silver butter knife to jab into dummies.

Everything about this game screams loving lazy, especially coming from the line of games that practically spearheaded the "every placed item has a reason for being there" style of loot distribution. It was never just gears in crates, your loot goal always ultimately relied on investigating the settings and storage closets for items that would logically be there. Why is there a pair of sewing scissors in the back secret-ai-and-soul-lab? Who gives a poo poo.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Fabricated posted:

That's just the thing, though. Old Garrett also stole tons of plates and goblets and jewelry and piles of gold coins--that hasn't changed--but because all the prices are much lower and over half the loot doesn't clear 10g, even when it's made out of gold, that is what gives Thi4f its sense of pettiness. The fact that it's all flatware now without a dish or a holy symbol to be found just adds to it.

They wouldn't even have to change that much considering they've already implemented a scaling price system. Just make the Master difficulty prices Normal instead and make everything except the coins worth five times as much. Bam, instant player satisfaction.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

That's just the thing, though. Old Garrett also stole tons of plates and goblets and jewelry and piles of gold coins--that hasn't changed--but because all the prices are much lower and over half the loot doesn't clear 10g, even when it's made out of gold, that is what gives Thi4f its sense of pettiness. The fact that it's all flatware now without a dish or a holy symbol to be found just adds to it.

They wouldn't even have to change that much considering they've already implemented a scaling price system. Just make the Master difficulty prices Normal instead and make everything except the coins worth five times as much. Bam, instant player satisfaction.

Exactly. Also, I'm sure real thievery is kind of petty a lot of the time. But this is a videogame, and while I imagine some people would enjoy a realistic simulation of thievery-as-it-really-is (hell, I might if it were sufficiently detailed and varied), usually you're trying to sell a fantasy. 3 coin knives are not the stuff of fantasy.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Real life Thi4v4s do poo poo like break into abandoned buildings with a few tools in order to steal all of the copper pipes. Then they buy meth.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There's also the fact that he keeps finding incredible stuff and then just KEEPING it. I'd even understand 'Man, this is awesome! But there's no way in hell I can fence a steampunk AI soul, guess I've gotta just keep it for now' but no, it's for his lair collection, to go next to his Thiefmobile and his world's largest lucky copper in his trophy room.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Night10194 posted:

There's also the fact that he keeps finding incredible stuff and then just KEEPING it. I'd even understand 'Man, this is awesome! But there's no way in hell I can fence a steampunk AI soul, guess I've gotta just keep it for now' but no, it's for his lair collection, to go next to his Thiefmobile and his world's largest lucky copper in his trophy room.

Don't forget Erin's outfit in a glass case for him to mope over.

....nuGarrett really does translate easily as a low-rent Batman.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Antistar01 posted:

I've seen it said that if Thief 2014 is a sequel to anything, it's to Thief 3 - rather than Thief 1 and 2. Thief 3 had some similar problems with removing control, though much less severe and sort of inverted (at least with knock-outs). When going to blackjack someone, you'd be frozen in place, but the target would then stop whatever they were doing to shuffle over slightly into the perfect spot for the animation to play out. It felt clunky back then and - ten years later - they did a worse job in Thief 2014.

The saddest part of all of this is to remember what a betrayal Thief 3 was. Looking at it now it's way closer to Thief 1 and 2 than Thi4f is to your worst memory of Thief 3. This is how far game design has fallen.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Ghostwoods posted:

Ooh, and a nice little collection of brooches. For my belfry.

I think I could just about accept this if they had, like, a quick throwaway line somewhere that he's reserving them until he can sell them as a set (plenty of things that come in sets are more valuable as a set than the sum of their individual prices). The unique stuff can be "this is crazy specialized and hot, I need to find the right fence to be able to sell this at all." He doesn't even have to actually do that, it's just the immersion thing so that the game mechanic doesn't shriek, "YOU ARE PLAYING A VIDEO GAME HAVE FUN AT THIS VIDEO GAME YOU ARE PLAYING".

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

George posted:

The saddest part of all of this is to remember what a betrayal Thief 3 was. Looking at it now it's way closer to Thief 1 and 2 than Thi4f is to your worst memory of Thief 3. This is how far game design has fallen.

On the other hand, Dishonored beats Thief 3 like a drum, and Human Revolution, while less than perfect, crushes Invisible War in a head to head.

Thi4f is a turd, but it's not like all modern efforts forgot how to makes something not-crap. Just some of them.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I kinda like Thief 3. :shobon: Still consider Shalebridge Cradle to be one of the most ambient and creepiest maps I've played so far.
Even if I can agree I didn't like the small map sizes even when I played it the first time.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The only thing I remember about Thief 3 is the increasingly stupid AI stuff in The City that got worse and worse over the course of the game as the enemy factions started fighting eachother. Someone would attack someone, hit someone else accidentally, they would run for a guard, and that would lead to a melee that results in like every NPC on the map lying dead in a pile while you just sit there in the dark watching.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

But why... Thief-taker General? Why not... Head Inspector? Why not Chief Constable? Why not Detective Sergeant? You can't simply make a person's title sound like Witchfinder General to make them sound villanous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Real life Thi4v4s do poo poo like break into abandoned buildings with a few tools in order to steal all of the copper pipes. Then they buy meth.
Or break all the shingles off a roof costing thousands of pounds of property damage just to get about £600 worth :downs:

This totally did not happen in my local news area no why do you ask? But yeah um, I like Garrett's personality but his actions speak a lot more petty than his words.

• Locked thread