Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Can't just post about gaijin poo poo,in the anime forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Namtab posted:

That's not a light novel then

What about novels that are Japanese but neither light nor web

Is it just me or is "web novel" a really cutesy way to avoid the stigma of being called a self-published novel

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Cynic Jester posted:

No tense errors.

This is actually an unfortunate effect of a weird quirk in Japanese literary prose, where the tense flips between past and present from sentence to sentence within a single paragraph. I've tried to discuss it with some natives, but they never know why it's used or what it signifies. My guess is that it's considered stale to stick to the same tense too long, or something.

In translation it's probably sane to reformat everything as past tense, though, since we're so used to it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Do tense errors make you tense?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Srice posted:

Is it just me or is "web novel" a really cutesy way to avoid the stigma of being called a self-published novel

Well, to me, web-novel is more accurate than self-published, because it brings it on the same level as web-comic, where it is created for a particular format. We tend to notice they are broken down into very short sections because, like a web-comic, they are produced and published piece-by-piece (serialized) instead of all at once like a classical novel (self-published or not). Hypothetically, a web-novel could be published by a company whose business model is collecting many of them into a central location and generating ad-revenue, making it a traditional publication in a web format. South Korean web-toons are often published in this format.

Okay, I'll shut up now.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 1, 2015

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Srice posted:

The internet kind of took all the stigma out of self-publishing, as now you can upload your best selling novel "Taken By a Gay Dinosaur" to Amazon and sell it for a dollar, and make a million off fetish viewers.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Boogaleeboo posted:

The internet kind of took all the stigma out of self-publishing,

There's still a stigma but people have no self awareness in tyool 2015

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
people are just more willing to read terrible garbage if it is serialized and includes nerd poo poo like video games and/or power levels. i am obviously no exception.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Hello I'm doing my part to make it easier to wade through the terrible garbage that we slog through:

http://blastron01.tumblr.com/tagged/kumoko/chrono

I'm hoping to get a chapter done every day. Feedback is always appreciated.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

blastron posted:

Hello I'm doing my part to make it easier to wade through the terrible garbage that we slog through:

Godspeed.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Namtab posted:

There's still a stigma but people have no self awareness in tyool 2015

As someone who doesn't bother with it, the stuff that people wind up talking about come across to me like this hyper-focused, checklist-y sorta thing. For when regular ol genre stuff doesn't satisfy very specific needs, I guess.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Tsubasa2004 posted:

Book 1 is free from Amazon if you have prime+one of their devices, or with Kindle Unlimited. He charges for the rest of it.

With Prime and a Kindle it's still 2.99 for me, I might check it out later regardless.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

blastron posted:

This is possibly me just having Stockholm syndrome, but I kinda miss the Nai Waaaaa. Yes, she's saying 'No Way!', but there was something endearing about it.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The Lord of Hats posted:

This is possibly me just having Stockholm syndrome, but I kinda miss the Nai Waaaaa. Yes, she's saying 'No Way!', but there was something endearing about it.

Yeah it's definitely Stockholm Syndrome but I've got it too. I would never endorse keeping "Nai Wa" for an official translation because that's ridiculous, but I will certainly feel sad and miss it when it's gone. Nai wa.

EDIT: Speaking of, new chapters! Oh man was it good to finally see that status.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 1, 2015

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Nai wa~

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
Given Kumoko herself thinks she has a special way of saying "Nai Wai", it would make sense to keep it :(

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I think I'm going to change it to "no waaaay" throughout; I really hate leaving things untranslated (Tanaka-san, you're so sugoi!) but I definitely see the need to preserve Kumoko's unique, ah, charm. Thanks for the feedback!

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Quellar posted:

This is pretty much a cursed genre, filled to the brim with horrible power fantasies and grade schooler-level writing. That said, it's hypnotizing seeing the self-inserts grow more and more powerful. My favorite is Kono Sekai ga Game da to, Ore dake ga Shitteiru. It's about a dude that gets trapped in a buggy game and he has to exploit glitches to level up.

This one is pretty drat funny. I don't think I will get tired of NPC's reacting to the crazy-hobo antics the protagonist gets up to in the name of powergaming. Like asking to use the confession booth at the church - a space where it's impossible to lose HP, MP or Stamina - to rapidly grind up his movement skills by, well . . .

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Well now that I have to check out.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Mygna posted:

This one is pretty drat funny. I don't think I will get tired of NPC's reacting to the crazy-hobo antics the protagonist gets up to in the name of powergaming. Like asking to use the confession booth at the church - a space where it's impossible to lose HP, MP or Stamina - to rapidly grind up his movement skills by, well . . .

[Image of MC Banging head on wall]

That's got to be one hell of a stress reliever.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 2, 2015

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
That is a very convincing endorsement.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Lmbo at a whole group of human beings who's life is so empty they write out their power fantasies in video game terms.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
If I ever write a web novel it's going to be me getting laid 24/7 and I'll have rock hard abs and a huge shaft.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i never gave you the rights to my autobiography

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Cake Attack posted:

i never gave you the rights to my autobiography

An autobiography is self written, idiot.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

drilldo squirt posted:

If I ever write a web novel it's going to be me getting laid 24/7 and I'll have rock hard abs and a huge shaft.

Those exist too, but are even less interesting than the video game poo poo.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

HiveCommander posted:

Mushoku Tensei:
An otaku disowned by his family with nothing left to lose saves some schoolkids from a truck accident, and wakes up as a baby in a fantasy world. Determined to actually make something of himself in this second chance at life, our protagonist quickly becomes proficient in magic. One of the most popular web novels with about 21 volumes, with up-to-date translations. The turning-point chapters always throw a pretty considerable wrench in the works with the story, and a lot of them are completely unexpected developments entirely, which is pretty cool. The MC does get a bit creepy at times, you have been warned.
[Reincarnation] [Harem] [Seinen] [Fantasy] [Action] [Adventure]

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari:
Iwatani Naofumi is summoned to another world to become one of the four heroes, namely the Shield Hero. Starting out with poor popularity and labeled as the weakest, Naofumi found himself betrayed on the third day of his adventure. Broke, framed and ridiculed, all that's left is just his shield.
Referred to as 'Shield Hero'. I haven't got around to reading the novels yet, but I follow the manga and that gets talked about a bit in the Seinen thread. If you've read the manga I'm sure you know what to expect from this.
[Action] [Adventure] [Fantasy] [Seinen] [Romance?]

Did we ever get trip reports on these in this thread? Since they're both mega-long and also completely translated at this point, did people think they were worth reading? I vaguely remember I started and dropped both of them months ago but since I notice they're complete now I'm wondering if they're worth going back and giving a read through? People were hype as gently caress for a while weren't they, but I don't see any recent discussion from this thread?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Shield hero is real bad. I'm going to take a leap of faith and say the first one is also bad

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
In Mushoku Tensei the MC has 3 smokin' hot wives who he shags daily.

Living the dream.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Shukaro posted:

In Mushoku Tensei the MC has 3 smokin' hot wives who he shags daily.

Living the dream.

To be fair, there was a fair amount of angst leading UP to this living arrangement, because the MC (while admitting to himself he was something of a perv) was trying very hard to NOT carry on his family tradition (multiple spouses, somewhat distantly removed incest, fathering (and mothering) children with the servants, etc). Which itself lines up with his homeland's gimmick of 'The nobility of Asura are people who openly display their dirty laundry.'

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
That honestly makes it sound worse.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
ShieldBro is awful. The MC starts as a betrayed person relying on magically enforced slavery to keep relationships going. And then he never gets over it and all his companions stay slaves or people he has enough leverage over that they might as well be. Add that the ending is a complete wet fart of epic proportions even when compared to other works in the genre and you have something truly special.

Mushoku Tensei is somehow worse. I can't put my finger on exactly which of its many faults grates the most, but I have not finished reading the entire thing and I hopefully never will.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Well that's unfortunate, you would think there would be some sort of merit just considering the sheer volume of stuff that had to be translated. Oh well.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Cynic Jester posted:

ShieldBro is awful. The MC starts as a betrayed person relying on magically enforced slavery to keep relationships going. And then he never gets over it and all his companions stay slaves or people he has enough leverage over that they might as well be. Add that the ending is a complete wet fart of epic proportions even when compared to other works in the genre and you have something truly special.

Mushoku Tensei is somehow worse. I can't put my finger on exactly which of its many faults grates the most, but I have not finished reading the entire thing and I hopefully never will.

It's probably that Mushoku Tensei is incredibly long-winded and completely uninspired power fantasy dreck. Pretty much just the same as Moonlight Sculptor.

I've been reading that russian trapped-in-an-mmo story Play To Live and it's actually pretty good, so maybe read that instead.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Sinking Ship posted:

Well that's unfortunate, you would think there would be some sort of merit just considering the sheer volume of stuff that had to be translated. Oh well.

75% of the time, "really long" just means "the author didn't know when to stop".

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Mushoku Tensei is very much not good, but anything is better than straight up slavery fetishism.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Shukaro posted:

I've been reading that russian trapped-in-an-mmo story Play To Live and it's actually pretty good, so maybe read that instead.

Yepp. I've been reading it too and it's not awful.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Meanwhile kumoko finally Defeated the earth dragon alaba, the one that destroyed her nest way back. That was a pretty amazing battle.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Captain_duck posted:

Meanwhile kumoko finally Defeated the earth dragon alaba, the one that destroyed her nest way back. That was a pretty amazing battle.

Yea the dragon powering up mid-fight and Kumoko's resulting indignation was pretty great.

That's for protagonists!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Serious Frolicking posted:

Mushoku Tensei is very much not good, but anything is better than straight up slavery fetishism.

Pretty much. The twist at the end was fairly funny, though. The MC's presence is a complete accident caused by a disruption to reality of a more traditional 'summoned to another world' protagonist who will appear many years in the future... whose story will probably not be told.

• Locked thread