Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

call me a crazy millenial, but i'd love to live in a foreign country just to experience a different place and way of life and meet new people and live beyond what i know. v :) v

i would consider the politics of a potential destination, sure. but like, living life to the fullest would win out over most situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Abel Wingnut posted:

call me a crazy millenial, but i'd love to live in a foreign country just to experience a different place and way of life and meet new people and live beyond what i know. v :) v

Developing nations are more fun from my experience.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Condiv posted:

are they? i've moved to france, everyone here is appalled at how quick the cops are to riddle black people with bullets. also i really don't get all the people hating on a guy trying to make his life better? is he just supposed to sit and get screwed on labor rights and poo poo just because the same opportunity may not be afforded to a black man?

Go ask a Frenchman about the Roma and see how long it takes before he says something racist

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

DOOP posted:

Go ask a Frenchman about the Roma and see how long it takes before he says something racist

sure I'll go do that tomorrow, but I don't think you'll get the results you're expecting unless i'm talking to an older person.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Condiv posted:

sure I'll go do that tomorrow, but I don't think you'll get the results you're expecting unless i'm talking to an older person.

You've never seen the Roma threads here, have you?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Condiv posted:

A majority of french people have a negative view of Roma. They can't all be older people.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Abel Wingnut posted:

i would consider the politics of a potential destination, sure. but like, living life to the fullest would win out over most situations.

Word. I love moving to new places in general. Moving to a new country entirely is challenging and educational in wildly unpredictable ways. It's probably the best adventure I can get until civilian space flight becomes a reality.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Condiv posted:

france just recently allowed gay marriage too. also, my coworkers tell me a lot of the votes for FN come from protest voters (i personally don't think it's very smart, and neither do they). finally, while it's p obvious muslims are discriminated against here, the severity compared to those america discriminates seems much less severe. france doesn't have the literal prison slave system we have (if prisoners work, they must be paid and paid fair wages), their prison populace is nowhere as great as the US's even on a percent of population basis, and they do not regularly murder minorities that find themselves on the wrong side of the law.

edit: one thing i've noticed so far about french racism, is that it's way more out in the open than US racism, and people are actually able to discuss it's existence (as opposed to america where racism is 'dead').

More Americans think racism is a problem now than since the early 1970s. The conversation about race in America isn't dead and we're talking about it.

47% of Americans think Islam cannot mesh with American values versus 63% of French that think Islam cannot mesh with French values.

I don't think its nearly as cut and dry, just because France does a better job of hiding their racist ghettos on the edge of town rather than in the city center.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

btw, despite the all the racism in france, 1/2-3/4ths of the population of my masters classes have been chinese, iranian, syrian, or anyone else than white. there was only 5 white students in a class of 20

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Even if the conversation is farther along in America it's hard to gloss over how much more violent the racism is here than other first world countries. The state police don't routinely kill minorities in France or the UK. They don't incarcerate them at absurdly high rates and then abuse them while in prison. America might be moving in the right direction but we've got horrific entrenched systemic issues to deal with first.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Condiv posted:

btw, despite the all the racism in france, 1/2-3/4ths of the population of my masters classes have been chinese, iranian, syrian, or anyone else than white. there was only 5 white students in a class of 20

Lol, that sounds like a lot of US master's programs too buddy.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Trabisnikof posted:

More Americans think racism is a problem now than since the early 1970s. The conversation about race in America isn't dead and we're talking about it.

47% of Americans think Islam cannot mesh with American values versus 63% of French that think Islam cannot mesh with French values.

I don't think its nearly as cut and dry, just because France does a better job of hiding their racist ghettos on the edge of town rather than in the city center.

that's the thing, it's not a cut and dry "france is more racist than america". i've been to the banlieues (even lived in one for a year), they're really no worse than any inner city area I worked in in dallas. tbh, the racism i've encountered has been the same old where old people tell you to avoid certain areas when they think they're in proper company, a lot of the young people hate racism, etc. the big difference is the violence related to racism

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Condiv posted:

Couldn't that also be "Because of all the racism in France"? What if minorities needed more education to be comperable to a less educated white Frenchman?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Trabisnikof posted:

Lol, that sounds like a lot of US master's programs too buddy.

I think you've completely ignored the thrust of my argument, which is that french racism is overblown. I'm not pretending that france is some post-racial fantasy land, but at the same time i doubt it is the racist hellhole you're trying to make it out to be compared to america

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Lote posted:

Couldn't that also be "Because of all the racism in France"? What if minorities needed more education to be comperable to a less educated white Frenchman?

masters degrees are the typical cut off for education here, like how bachelors are the typical cutoff in the US. you can try to get a job with just license level, but it's less common

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Condiv posted:

I think you've completely ignored the thrust of my argument, which is that french racism is overblown. I'm not pretending that france is some post-racial fantasy land, but at the same time i doubt it is the racist hellhole you're trying to make it out to be compared to america

France has some problems with racism. These are different than American problems. Measuring racism is pretty hard. This has not that much to do with US politics in July.

semi-related:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/246759-george-takei-justice-thomas-a-clown-in-blackface

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Condiv posted:

And you're way overreacting if you think I'm calling it a "racist hellhole". I'm just pointing out that most European states have a attitude based around ignoring racism or justifying racists attitudes on the grounds of national homogeneity.

Just because it is a different kind of racism with different focuses and histories doesn't make it less vile.

He's always been my favorite Uncle on the supreme court.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Trabisnikof posted:

And you're way overreacting if you think I'm calling it a "racist hellhole". I'm just pointing out that most European states have a attitude based around ignoring racism or justifying racists attitudes on the grounds of national homogeneity.

Just because it is a different kind of racism with different focuses and histories doesn't make it less vile.

He's always been my favorite Uncle on the supreme court.

i have a propensity for hyperbole

and yes, european states have an attitude based around ignoring racism. guess what, america does too. it sucks everywhere it happens

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Condiv posted:

Hey, dude with Roma family who live in Europe. I think you are the one about to be very surprised!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Chief Justice Roberts warned us in his dissent, "Although the majority randomly inserts the adjective “two” in various places, it offers no reason at all why the two-person element of the core definition of marriage may be preserved while the man-woman element may not. Indeed, from the standpoint of history and tradition, a leap from opposite-sex marriage to same-sex marriage is much greater than one from a two-person union to plural unions, which have deep roots in some cultures around the world. If the majority is willing to take the big leap, it is hard to see how it can say no to the shorter one. It is striking how much of the majority’s reasoning would apply with equal force to the claim of a fundamental right to plural marriage."

He was right! :supaburn:

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Hootington, what happened to your trip reports and candidate tracker posts in the primary thread? I liked those.

Although I understand the sheer number of candidates to track has gotten more than a little out of hand....

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Abel Wingnut posted:

Surely no member of any previous generation has ever been as wild & crazy as this. What a wonderful time to be alive.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Supraluminal posted:

Hootington, what happened to your trip reports and candidate tracker posts in the primary thread? I liked those.

Although I understand the sheer number of candidates to track has gotten more than a little out of hand....

The closet any candidate has been to me until last night (dropped the ball on a Graham visit) was an hour and 45 minutes away. Unless I donated $25-$50.

The candidate tracker thing turned out to get to be a bit much. Sifting through links and trying to track down video or audio of the speeches took too much time.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mr Hootington posted:

Chief Justice Roberts warned us in his dissent, "Although the majority randomly inserts the adjective “two” in various places, it offers no reason at all why the two-person element of the core definition of marriage may be preserved while the man-woman element may not. Indeed, from the standpoint of history and tradition, a leap from opposite-sex marriage to same-sex marriage is much greater than one from a two-person union to plural unions, which have deep roots in some cultures around the world. If the majority is willing to take the big leap, it is hard to see how it can say no to the shorter one. It is striking how much of the majority’s reasoning would apply with equal force to the claim of a fundamental right to plural marriage."

But will the argument really hold up in the end? It's more a testament to Kennedy's poor legal logic than the fact that it wasn't legally possible.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Since poly marriage legal activism is coming up imma crosspost something I wrote for the poo poo post thread if that's cool

Jagchosis posted:

i attended a very interesting talk by some lawyers that do polyamory activism stuff. one of them finds legal ways to create polyamorous triads, mainly through using contracts to impose similar obligations that marriage would. at the time of the talk she was workshopping an idea for how to structure a poly marriage as a partnership or llc, but it would only work for couples that produce economic output in their partnership (which could be something like running an etsy store)

Jagchosis posted:

ZenVulgarity posted:

@Jag So if you have a poly marriage and children how do you do inheritance if all partners simultaneously die assuming they die intestate

well under her model they wouldn't be intestate since all that poo poo is drawn up in the contracting phase, but i imagine if bigamy was a legal institution and you would have intestate trios it would only be hashed out by a lot of litigation or negotiation. i can't give a better answer than that because i dunno family law very well and it would be different between communal property and other states.

polyamory isn't the only reason people would use this family structure and want it in a legally enforceable way btw, a big area in which she practices is making legal arrangements for gay and lesbian couples where the sperm donor or surrogate wants a role in raising the child and the couple agrees

a family with this model btw will be the successful plaintiff in any test case if a court ever sides with poly marriage

As for the actual core argument of extending the logic of Obergefell to polygamy, here's Slate's rebuttal. The most legally salient of these imo is the immutability thing, which might come up in the example of a poly marriage that would not be motivated by traditional polygamist values of polyamory.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

But will the argument really hold up in the end? It's more a testament to Kennedy's poor legal logic than the fact that it wasn't legally possible.

But...but King Solomon had 700 wives. Why can't I?

"King Solomon, however, loved many foreign women besides Pharaoh’s daughter—Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites, Sidonians and Hittites. 2 They were from nations about which the Lord had told the Israelites, “You must not intermarry with them, because they will surely turn your hearts after their gods.” Nevertheless, Solomon held fast to them in love. 3 He had seven hundred wives of royal birth and three hundred concubines, and his wives led him astray."
1 Kings 11:1-3

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Condiv posted:

Despite all the racism in America the same is also true.

Like unless you're harping on about the Jews most racists don't care about well educated wealthy minorities, especially if little to none of them live there.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
Race isn't the only thing. It's anecdotal, but several feminist women friends of mine have had really lovely extended stays in the UK, France, and Italy in terms of sexism / chauvinism. I don't know what kind of non-anecdotal evidence you could gather for comparative sexism, though.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Hey, dude with Roma family who live in Europe. I think you are the one about to be very surprised!

i hope not, but we'll see. i've been meaning to ask some people about the roma over here, it just keeps slipping my mind

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Family Values posted:

Surely no member of any previous generation has ever been as wild & crazy as this. What a wonderful time to be alive.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

berzerker posted:

Race isn't the only thing. It's anecdotal, but several feminist women friends of mine have had really lovely extended stays in the UK, France, and Italy in terms of sexism / chauvinism. I don't know what kind of non-anecdotal evidence you could gather for comparative sexism, though.

Salary comparisons.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

1. Failed to conquer Canada
2. Gave the Senate too much power
3. Could have been managed better had slavery been abolished first by those greedy Brits

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
In US news, we're one step closer to removing the threat of dirty poors having access to economic mobility:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/03/business/unpaid-internships-allowed-if-they-serve-educational-purpose-court-rules.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

quote:

Unpaid interns can be used legally when the work serves an educational purpose, a federal appeals court ruled on Thursday, setting aside a lower court decision that the movie studio Fox Searchlight Pictures had improperly classified former workers as unpaid interns rather than employees.

The decision, which sends the case back to the lower court, could have broad ramifications for the way employers rely on unpaid labor. It erects large barriers to further class-action lawsuits by unpaid interns against companies where they had worked.

Two of the plaintiffs, Eric Glatt and Alexander Footman, had done work as unpaid interns connected to the movie “Black Swan” between 2009 and 2010, where their duties included copying documents, maintaining takeout menus, assembling furniture, taking out trash and, in one case, procuring a nonallergenic pillow for the movie’s director, Darren Aronofsky.

McAlister posted:

Salary comparisons.
That's only one part of sexism, though, and a weak proxy for things like how often women get cat-called / aggressively hit on despite being told no / insulted for wearing whatever clothing / etc., or other issues.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr Hootington posted:

Because taxes. What is there to stop all the partners of a firm like Goldman's from marrying each other and not squealching on their spouses' activities nor paying their lawful taxes?

To extend the institution of marriage to everyone, is to extend the institution of marriage to no-one.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

My Imaginary GF posted:

1. Failed to conquer Canada
2. Gave the Senate too much power
3. Could have been managed better had slavery been abolished first by those greedy Brits

I endorse this MIGF post.

Also that Vox article is dumb because Madisonian Democracy is way better than the Westminster system.

Also too, :lol: at that article talking about how the UK is less likely than the US to collapse. How's that lack of real federalism working out for them these days, hmm?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

berzerker posted:

In US news, we're one step closer to removing the threat of dirty poors having access to economic mobility:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/03/business/unpaid-internships-allowed-if-they-serve-educational-purpose-court-rules.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

That's only one part of sexism, though, and a weak proxy for things like how often women get cat-called / aggressively hit on despite being told no / insulted for wearing whatever clothing / etc., or other issues.

I'm not surprised because everything is terrible and whatnot, but how is this ruling different from already established law? Buying pillows and making copies are not educational, yet court somehow said that they were?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stereotype posted:

I'm not surprised because everything is terrible and whatnot, but how is this ruling different from already established law? Buying pillows and making copies are not educational, yet court somehow said that they were?

IIRC the previous ruling was "unpaid interns are never justifiable", while this ruling is "there are cases where unpaid interns are justifiable". They're now giving it back to the original court to determine if it fits the criteria (which it probably doesn't).

e: Or maybe not looking at the actual article, so I'm not really sure about the real differences here.

e2: Okay, so it sounds like the quibble here is that the criteria the original court made were not the right ones to use, but the "actual" criteria still might not cover those unpaid interns.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 3, 2015

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Ah I figured it out.

In the Labor Department's point of view, and the appealed ruling of the lower court

quote:

The department’s criteria indicate that, in order to qualify as an unpaid internship, the work must, among other things, be similar to training offered in a school setting, be performed for the benefit of the intern rather than the employer and not nudge aside that of existing employees.

In this case, the judges found that to be "out of date":

quote:

He argued that the proper way to determine workers’ status was to apply a “primary beneficiary test” — a concept proposed by Fox in which the worker can be considered an employee only if the employer benefits more from the relationship than the intern.

So basically just the first part was ruled incorrect, it doesn't have to be like school training to be an internship. This case remands it back to the lower courts where they can re-decide whether this specific case meets that modified criteria, which they probably wont because "Buying a pillow" or "making copies" or "getting coffee" absolutely does not benefit the person doing it, unless they are doing those things for themselves.

However since Fox is a huge company they can probably argue that an intern getting them coffee didn't help them as much as the intern being ~*around the movie making process~*

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the night, "Our president during the Civil War was, of course, Abraham Lincoln, who was known as the most biblical of presidents, somebody who quoted the Bible a lot...In the Civil War, some 600,000 people died in a country that was much less populated than that today. And it was a much more religious country and I think a lot of people who died fighting in that war felt they died fighting for a religious cause, you know, 'Battle Hymn of the Republic' and all that. I think it would shock those people who died in that war to find out the constitutional amendment which was ratified kind of as a culmination of their great efforts and their great deaths would be 150 years later, a little less than 150 years later, used by these five robed, arrogant, robed people to take this constitutional amendment and say that that constitutional amendment that was drafted after the Civil War was in fact an amendment designed to say that same-sex marriage had to be legal." ~ Glenn Grothman (R-WI)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Only a true jackass could use civil war word salad to say gently caress the gays.

• Locked thread