Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
It's awkward that a car door is able to deflect Reactron's beams during that first fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Reactron basically was Supergirl's own Metallo in the comics. He was actually much more of a Supergirl villain than a Superman one, though he was much less sympathetic and more just a weird douche.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Really good episode on the whole, and they did a much better job of explaining Superman's absence (on both an in-universe and thematic level) than the first two did, but it's not quite enough to explain why he won't help her against Astra. Well, hope they get to that.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Did I miss the explanation for where the money came from for this base in the abandoned office?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Did Supergirl just bend a power line to shut it off as if it were a garden hose?
I thought it was more egregious that there was no one actually being threatened by it nearby or even pooling diesel leaking from the bus or something. But yeah that was really silly but whatever.

I kinda appreciate the show is moving at a good pace, and I guess actively addressing some of the things it has in dealing with a world where Superman exists, Supergirl trying to be her own thing, etc.

Cyberius
Sep 24, 2007
Totally Fake

Super Dude posted:

Did I miss the explanation for where the money came from for this base in the abandoned office?

There was none, but it might just be some creative allocations of department funds/computers.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Frankly I found it much harder to believe that Cisco 2.0 just hacked into some satellites from their abandoned office computers like it was no big deal.

I know he's supposed to be Toyman or whatever but lordy day

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I'm confused why National city's main newscaster is Perd Hapley. But I'm not complaining.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Did Supergirl just bend a power line to shut it off as if it were a garden hose?

Have you never broken a phone charger cable by bending it too much too far up the cable?

BrianWilly posted:

This had better turn out to be the case.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Superman tapping out a smiley face on his computer is probably the funniest thing I've seen this year. Owns.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Ravane posted:

I'm confused why National city's main newscaster is Perd Hapley. But I'm not complaining.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3085284/

He always plays a newscaster. Because before he started acting, he was a newscaster. And for the people in the Flash thread, his name is Jay Jackson.

quote:

http://www.npr.org/2015/03/21/394132711/im-perd-hapley-and-i-just-realized-im-played-by-an-actual-newscaster

That's because Jackson spent 22 years as an actual reporter in Southern California. At KCAL9 News in Los Angeles, he was the one at the scene breaking lead stories.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Chokes McGee posted:

Superman tapping out a smiley face on his computer is probably the funniest thing I've seen this year. Owns.

Especially when it's in the context of "You don't want my help, next time you are hosed :-)"

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lady Galaga posted:

Especially when it's in the context of "You don't want my help, next time you are hosed :-)"

That's not the context at all. He knows that Kara's wanting to do her own thing and likely resented him a little for coming in and saving her day, through Jimmy. It seemed more like he was letting her know that he respects her and trusts her to seek out help when SHE feels she needs it, not when someone else does.

Of course, that's probably all just a big brother act and he's got an eye on her now, to make sure she is safe. You know, like when you tell someone that you'll never do something again but you know full well you'll do it again.

I was kinda annoyed that Kara wasn't using her superspeed to capture the guy. Seemed to work okay-ish last week. Aside from that, the whole monster of the week thing is dumb, as is, and I wish they'd more tightly plot the show. Or at least have more interesting monster of the weeks.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 10, 2015

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

A love quadrangle. The CW-itis has escaped confinement. Repeat, the CW-itis has spread to the mainland.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

My Q-Face posted:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3085284/

He always plays a newscaster. Because before he started acting, he was a newscaster. And for the people in the Flash thread, his name is Jay Jackson.

drat. Talk about being typecasted.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I think this show would have been significantly better if Office Nerd wasn't in the circle of people who knew who she was, but Calista Flockhart was like "Oh poo poo, you're uh... my assistant?" during the interview scene. Like, just recognized her immediately, but didn't remember her name. Just turn the whole Clark Kent magic glasses thing on its head. Like, of COURSE she recognizes you like any sane person would.

I bet Calista Flockhart has a lot more resources to use in the prevention of crime than Office Nerd has, and would have made the circle a lot more interesting and less predictable.

Of course it would have probably become a series of dating hijinx episodes instead of the likely Miss Doubtfire-style "hide your identity from your boss" episodes we're going to have to sit through.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Maybe Cat Grant will become her Captain Lance/Commissioner Gordon who's like, of course she's known who Supergirl is all this time, she just didn't wanna ruin a good thing.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
I *loved* how they handled that conversation with Clark, and really, really hope they keep that going. It seemed so genuine and natural.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Three episodes in, and I still think this show is pretty bad. Almost as bad as Arrow Season 3 was. Benoist looks great, except she can't fight or even pretend to fly. I bet the costume is what's making her hold her arms like a robot. The way they've handled the feminist angle is heavy handed and the story and themes aren't cohesive. The characters haven't really made an impression on me yet either. There's only so much I can stomach because of how charming the lead is. Do they have Flash/Arrow crossovers planned wth this?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ravane posted:

drat. Talk about being typecasted.

He's not typecasted, he only plays newscasters because that's literally all he knows how to do.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

So there's some speculation going around that Hank Henshaw's red glowy eyes doesn't actually mean he's becoming Cyborg Superman, but that he's Martian Manhunter instead.

I thought it was just another one of those rando "Well it's not absolutely impossible which totally means it's gonna be true!!" theories that the internet likes to toss around about everything, but after this episode I'm not so sure. It almost did seem like he sensed what Alex was doing somehow. Could be super-hearing, but it didn't really come across that way.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Or, you know, he's using the power that Hank Henshaw has in the comics and is actually connected to the computer mainframe as he controls technology and what not. So if Alex is using the computers to help Supergirl, he knows about it.

I mean, wild speculation and all. I don't expect Maxwell to go shooting C-lister characters in the head and changing the tone of this show from upbeat and happy to suddenly dark and gritty for the sake of being dark and gritty.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

BrianWilly posted:

Frankly I found it much harder to believe that Cisco 2.0 just hacked into some satellites from their abandoned office computers like it was no big deal.

Wait, what? In my show where people fly around and shoot lasers out of their eyes someone is doing some whacky computer stuff?! My immersion!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

He also didn't explicitly hack into a satellite, instead he had some line about "sensors" but they didn't expand on that. Alex tasked the satellite that found Reactron.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I like to imagine Schott carried all that computer equipment from his apartment and walked it all the way there like that one goon story about carrying the printer 2 miles because he couldn't open his crush's file attachment, and then when he got to her apartment she's like "Here meet my boyfriend"

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The extras in the fight scene at the pileup are the most disinterested bunch of schlubs. Guy shooting nuclear fire from his hands 50 feet from you? You're totally okay to sit on the guardrail with your arms crossed.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Party Plane Jones posted:

The extras in the fight scene at the pileup are the most disinterested bunch of schlubs. Guy shooting nuclear fire from his hands 50 feet from you? You're totally okay to sit on the guardrail with your arms crossed.

They're all ex-Metropolis citizens. They seen poo poo that would turn you white.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Party Plane Jones posted:

Supergirl shares the same universe as the Marvel Avengers movies.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

rapeface posted:

The way they've handled the feminist angle is heavy handed and the story and themes aren't cohesive.

That is very noticeable, but it isn't enough to turn me off of the show yet. Wasn't it just an episode ago that they were going on about how "The House of El stands together"? "Stronger Together" or something?

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

BrianWilly posted:

So there's some speculation going around that Hank Henshaw's red glowy eyes doesn't actually mean he's becoming Cyborg Superman, but that he's Martian Manhunter instead.

I thought it was just another one of those rando "Well it's not absolutely impossible which totally means it's gonna be true!!" theories that the internet likes to toss around about everything, but after this episode I'm not so sure. It almost did seem like he sensed what Alex was doing somehow. Could be super-hearing, but it didn't really come across that way.

Why? The only reason I've seen people spout this is because it's a black guy and they're unfamiliar with Hank Henshaw.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Okay, here's some spoilers to stop people from going in certain directions:

Schott's Future:
He's not Toyman, that's why his name is changed slightly from comic canon. Henry Czerny has been cast as Toyman.

Supergirl Crossovers:
No crossovers this season.

And Jay Jackson being a newscaster in a ton of shows has already been addressed.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He could still be ToyMan, there's multiple toy men.

I'm going to guess your right though and he's just related.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The exchange between Kara and Kal over IM was the most :3: thing.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I enjoyed this episode but I thought the IM conversation was the most cringeworthy thing. No speaking in code, just a frank and honest digital conversation about being related and also superman. It seemed weird, I think it would have worked a lot better if it just went:

Kal: You did great today
Kara: Oh my gosh thanks! I have so much to ask you, like where did you go afterwards?
Kal has signed off.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I enjoyed this episode but I thought the IM conversation was the most cringeworthy thing. No speaking in code, just a frank and honest digital conversation about being related and also superman. It seemed weird, I think it would have worked a lot better if it just went:

Kal: You did great today
Kara: Oh my gosh thanks! I have so much to ask you, like where did you go afterwards?
Kal has signed off.

But that's dumb and disregards the fact that Clark cares about her, and disregards most things having to do with Clark in general. We know due to licensing Superman can't come and speak to her, so this is what we got.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Supergirl is down to a 1.7 in the ratings, I hope it can stabilize. First episode was a 3.3 and the second 2.2.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Drifter posted:

But that's dumb and disregards the fact that Clark cares about her, and disregards most things having to do with Clark in general. We know due to licensing Superman can't come and speak to her, so this is what we got.
Except they're super hearing aliens who can have a whisper conversation from across the planet. Text messaging is beyond retarded. The show made me believe Clark cared by...saving her life from the radiation man, not from a pointless little "had fun 2day, cool destiny u r making;) lol" back and forth. Really surprised to see so much support here for that dumb scene. If you cant afford a fake Cavill voice then don't do it at all and just have Jimmy relay messages. Yeesh that scene was so lame.

Oh yeah also Jimmy gets a weird custom Superwatch but Kara doesn't have her own communicator or ANYTHING, not even a Super Beeper? Like some old-but-still-super-advanced kyrptonian poo poo? They have to use MSN Messenger?

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 10, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Except they're super hearing aliens who can have a whisper conversation from across the planet. Text messaging is beyond retarded. The show made me believe Clark cared by...saving her life from the radiation man, not from a pointless little "had fun 2day, cool destiny u r making;) lol" back and forth. Really surprised to see so much support here for that dumb scene. If you cant afford a fake Cavill voice then don't do it at all and just have Jimmy relay messages. Yeesh that scene was so lame.

Oh yeah also Jimmy gets a weird custom Superwatch but Kara doesn't have her own communicator or ANYTHING, not even a Super Beeper? Like some old-but-still-super-advanced kyrptonian poo poo? They have to use MSN Messenger?

Has no one ever sent you a caring, uplifting text or IM before? I found the scene to be pretty relatable.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

teagone posted:

Has no one ever sent you a caring, uplifting text or IM before? I found the scene to be pretty relatable.
I'd expect a text since I am not a laser vision alien god. Why does Jimmy get a beeper watch but Kara gets nothing? The scene was dumb imo and could have been handled several different ways . Why not just have them whisper or something? Make the voices have that ethereal echo effect because they are so far away and they hear not only the source of the sound but every single echo the waves make, so it doesn't have to sound like Cavill. Just seems like one step removed from Swipe Right for Superman, which now that i've typed it out would be a good reboot of Lois&Clark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I'd expect a text since I am not a laser vision alien god. Why does Jimmy get a beeper watch but Kara gets nothing? The scene was dumb imo and could have been handled several different ways . Why not just have them whisper or something? Make the voices have that ethereal echo effect because they are so far away and they hear not only the source of the sound but every single echo the waves make, so it doesn't have to sound like Cavill. Just seems like one step removed from Swipe Right for Superman, which now that i've typed it out would be a good reboot of Lois&Clark.

Because Jimmy was a normal human unable to defend himself at all against super powered villains.
Kara is a Kryptonian.
Have them Whisper? Imagine how that would play out on TV for a moment. It wouldn't.

• Locked thread