Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Munin
Nov 14, 2004

A1

Since, as goons, hubris does have to sink this playthrough which seems to have just got back on track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadrianoth
Oct 25, 2010
A1

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Okay so the Panama Canal is not open to belligerents, which means the Caribbean is a long trip.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
A1. For bonus points make one of those monster glitch ships that overflow into negatives, name it Tokyo Bay Fortress, send it into battle.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Those don't exist anymore.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

Those don't exist anymore.

Those were fun though. You could load it up with like 40 18inch guns, and a full 16" armor scheme, and watch it just demolish entire fleets.

Thats how I discovered theres an upper limit to the number of guns that can fire at one time before the game crashes (36)

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Arglebargle III posted:

Okay so the Panama Canal is not open to belligerents, which means the Caribbean is a long trip.

I think it's based on tension, if your tension with the USA is too high, (>7 maybe?), they won't let you through when you're at war. The same applies to the UK and the Suez.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's based on tension for non belligerents, unless I read the manual wrong.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

What is Tokyo Bay Fortress and why do references to it keep coming up in these LPs?

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

http://warinthepacificlp.wikia.com/wiki/Running_Gags/Jokes

Bottom entry.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

I must admit, I didn't know Grey's LP had a wiki.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

"We may now picture this great Fleet, with its flotillas and cruisers, steaming slowly out of Portland Harbour, squadron by squadron, scores of gigantic castles of steel wending their way across the misty, shining sea, like giants bowed in anxious thought. We may picture them again as darkness fell, eighteen miles of warships running at high speed and in absolute blackness through the narrow Straits, bearing with them into the broad waters of the North the safeguard of considerable affairs....If war should come no one would know where to look for the British Fleet. Somewhere in that enormous waste of waters to the north of our islands, cruising now this way, now that, shrouded in storms and mists, dwelt this mighty organization. Yet from the Admiralty building we could speak to them at any moment if need arose. The king's ships were at sea." -- Winston Churchill

The fleet is exactly where I left it last month. I visit the cheese-stinking design bureau and their ridiculous tinsel and evergreen trees. We have work to do!

The Chitose class are regularly getting killed by faster, newer French ships. In fact, we just lost Chitose last year. But we don’t have enough light cruisers to simply can the lot. Therefore I look into extensive rebuilds to bring them up to modern standards.

First, fire control. A pair of director-equipped control tops, plus superstructure rebuilds to accommodate two mechanical fire control computers, each the size of an automobile, or the size of a room including their operator stations.

Then, new engines. It’s expensive to remove the rivets and deck plating, disassemble and haul out the engines, disconnect and reconfigure miles of pipe, crane in new engines and weld everything back together, but it will mean these ships stop sinking. The new oil-fired engines will develop 36,000 horsepower – 60% more than the old coal engines.

Submerged torpedoes can't be used at the speeds at which light cruisers now fight. (It bends the extending spoon.)

Nice.

Not nice.

How about...

Hmm

Fine.

She's still overweight, but that's sometimes unavoidable with rebuilds this extensive. The ships need to meet certain parameters and "has torpedoes" is one of them. I could start removing turrets but it's already undergunned for a 1921 light cruiser.

They'll come out looking different.

The refit -- rebuild really -- will take ten months and more than half what a Chitose unit originally cost to build.

But it's half the price of a new Chiyoda, and twice as fast to build. We could lay down two Chiyoda-class cruisers and have them in twenty months, or rebuild four Chitose-class and have them in ten months.

With the slow pace of the war we can't afford to keep losing them and look bad in the domestic and European papers.

Now then, the fleet is mostly where we left it, minus four light cruisers.

We maintain a huge margin of superiority in Southeast Asia.

The French are using the Indian Ocean to rotate ships to France and back. Not that we've seen so much as a hint of a dreadnought. (It's impressive that the French have managed to avoid getting a single dreadnought into an unexpected battle. I don't remember but that's probably how Desaix ended up sunk near Takao.)

In absolute terms the French fleet is larger than ours, but they have their European home country to think about.

The fast battleship Kurama goes down on paper. We are careful to call her a battlecruiser, but in reality she is more heavily armed and armored than a second-generation dreadnought battleship. (We want this ship to smash enemy BCs, not end up stuck in a line of battle with a 21 knot squadron. Jellicoe made a similar observation: the intermediate-speed Queen Elizabeth class fast battleships were not fast enough to catch German battlecruisers and their speed was irrelevant in line with older ships like Orion and Iron Duke, and besides the Royal Navy already had more battleships than it could afford to operate. This comment contributed to the gigantic Hood's completion as a battle-cruiser and, maybe, her eventual destruction.)

Not long after Kurama goes down in steel. She is larger than Fuso and faster than the destroyers of yesteryear.

The new building list is extremely expensive. (I want to run down the money in the bank anyway. If we don't spend it on a war in 1921 when will we?)

Squadrons start forming and dispersing to more distant seas.

I shuffle around research priorities and save money. (It's 1921, returns on research are nosediving. Sure our most advanced battleship might be the best in the world, but that won't matter much because more than 90% of the fleet is already built.)

That was a busy January.

This is why they have to keep sending more ships, even outdated bait.

A battlecruiser patrol is loitering outside Takao considering whether to go in because of bad weather.

Until they sight something in the blinding spray. The French!

She sank Chitose! :argh: Or maybe this is the Sfax.

Fire control has made great strides. The sea is churning up something awful and we can still shoot with more accuracy than we did in the Korean War.

The light cruiser gets too far ahead and Tsukuba passes the time potshotting destroyers for fun. It's impressive gunnery, but she's wasting shells. (On Vice Admiral's mode I could yell at her to stop wasting main battery ammunition on destroyers but in Admiral mode I can't.)

Both destroyers are smashed to pieces.

A long stern chase ensues, until Tsukuba runs short on ammunition for her forward turret. With the terrible visibility there's no room to turn broadside to the target before she escapes into the flying spray. Three salvos left.

One hit.

Two.

The ammunition runs out and she's still running. (This is very unrealistic. In Rule the Waves weather limits all ships to the same speed regardless of size. Both Tsukuba and Yaeyama have more powerful engines than this French ship, and Tsukuba is very much larger. Bigger ships in real life can run through weather faster than smaller ships. Their sheer mass and inertia lets them shoulder aside seas that push smaller ships off course. I believe our 27kt battlecruiser should easily overtake a 26kt light cruiser in a gale like this.)

Yaeyama's forward turret is also out of ammunition.

Night falls, but we know exactly where she's going.

Unfortunately it is February.

Ships pass in the night.

I get some points for killing those destroyers at least.

Matsushima is the first to break down.

Come out, you dogs!

Hm. New Chiyoda units would have been obsolete shortly after building started anyway. (Now we can get four forward 8" guns although the ship will need to be bigger to carry that battery.)

This is a minor setback.

Another cruiser fight near Tonkin.

This is our newest light cruiser, the last of the Yaeyama series.

The Coentlogon does not compare favorably.

This is not a fair fight. (This is good shooting, remember all these ships are still on central firing.)

This was only going to end one way. Your imperialist government doomed you!

The French government seems unable to face reality. What is going on politically in Paris that they are so unwilling to believe they are losing their Eastern possessions?

(This update is huge so I'm going to just put up turn summaries for a while instead of all the raider pics.)

Come out you cowards! :argh:

With the budget projected to run out by summer I halt Kurama. It's hard to believe the war will drag on 26 more months anyway.

I've had to rotate some ships home for maintenance but the French have taken no notice of us and the Army has not stirred itself.

This is new. (New in 1.23)

The French attack a convoy and none of our ships are there? (Wait, what? We have a whole fleet here, including a battlecruiser. What force composition could the game be looking for that we can't fill?)

Oh, well. This ship turned out to be a one-off because we had other budget priorities and she wasn't a big improvement over the Shiokaze class.

The cruisers find something again.

But it's not the raiders we've been looking for. (One destroyer? Really?)

The gunners perform well. (Get some!)

The French raiders are proving hard to hunt down, but they are not having much impact.

Yukaze will be the new destroyer class leader instead.

The Americans even help us with codebreaking.

Guess whether they come out.

If you did not guess right, report to the army recruiting station down the street.

More scattered raids, a merchant here or there on the globe.

We need to do something, or at least be seen to be doing something, with our dreadnought superiority.

The new Naniwa class is coming into service and they are fast! (Again the younger sister is finished first.)

It's a lovely day off Madagascar.

She sank Chitose! :argh: Wait, did we get her before? These French raiders are starting to blur together in my head.

She's no match for Matsushima.

She did sink Chitose! REVENGE!

I restart Kurama now that the light cruiser crunch is winding down. Fuso is nearing completion.

Please invade something.

The next battleships will have the new Compact 14/51. (But will I see any of them completed?)

After a French submarine sinks a British liner with no warning, foreign powers entering the war on their side seems impossible.

Ha!

Southeast Asia again.

Destroyer fight? Japanese destroyers are built for fleet operations.

The French destroyers are smaller and faster.

They get in some good shots...

But ultimately it's a long stern chase that goes nowhere.

The French are rotating their battleships again, and it briefly leaves us at a battleship deficit in the Indian Ocean!

Three battleships depart immediately.

Akitsushima joins the active fleet and Tatsuta returns.

The French battleships slip away.

The year ends with no new conquests or new victories. As ever the army is no help. (At least not any that get me prestige! Dammit!)

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 29, 2015

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I remember that it used to be possible to comission a ton of submarines and then just wait out any war while the enemy starved, has that strategy been nerfed?

Arbite fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 29, 2015

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Arbite posted:

I remember that it used to be possible to comission a ton of submarines and then just wait out any war while the enemy starved, has that strategy been nerfed?

Nope. I have the latest version and I successfully starved out Great Britain with my fleet of ~200 subs.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Arbite posted:

I find that you used to be able to do it even in early game with coastal subs. Now I find I have to wait for real subs before I get enough bang for buck to force a surrender. I think it has been nerfed slightly in the most recent patch (either that or AI nations put more ships on ASW patrol now) so that you need more subs but it does work.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Arbite posted:

Historically realistic, since the u-boats almost starved Britain out of wwi.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There's only one problem with that idea: expanding the submarine fleet to 200 units costs about 600 million yen. That represents two years of my budget.

more like coal doesn't support these wars!
vvvvvv

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 30, 2015

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I'm not sure why Japan is even playable if it's only around because Russia is, the game doesn't seem to really support it. Or not being in Europe as a whole.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Gamerofthegame posted:

I'm not sure why Japan is even playable if it's only around because Russia is, the game doesn't seem to really support it. Or not being in Europe as a whole.

Cause it's fun to carve out your own little empire away from the clusterfuck that is the North Atlantic and the Med

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

"The outstanding characteristic of the submarine, as the name indicates, is its ability to navigate below the surface of the water. This enables it to evade the enemy, to make a surprise attack, and to escape by hiding. These faculties are manifestly suitable for the weaker belligerent to use against the stronger enemy. Navies that dominate, that have power to seek and destroy in the open, are not dependent upon abilities to evade and to hide.

In making a brief survey of the naval activities of the war, it is seen that the submarine has been of no great value to the superior navies controlling the seas, but has been practically the only effective naval weapon of the inferior fleets. When used against the enemy battle squadrons it has influenced strategy and tactics and scored a few minor successes in sinking some of the older men-of-war, but generally speaking has produced no very important results. When used against merchant ships the submarine has been unable to attain effectiveness while complying with the rules and usages of international law, but by resorting to unscrupulous methods it has become a dangerous commerce destroyer."
-- Naval Power in the Present War, Lieutenant Charles Gill, USN

We’ve got three months of money left, so I halt the Kurama again. We will have the cashflow to restart her by March. I’m able to bring the light cruiser numbers back up to parity with the French.

This is what the army has been doing! They’ve been pushing south in Indochina, ignoring the Navy’s plans to land them on more shores.

The French government continues to stall for time. No doubt in the halls of Paris their Indochinese holdings and battleships cowering in distant ports seem far away, while the masses of angry voters are too close for comfort. (We’re ahead 3 to 1 on VPs and still no sign of unrest in Japan. This could be a long war.)

This would be excellent gun for a new mid-sized battlecruiser.

A French ship hits a mine in what had previously been their safe passage. (Expanding the war hasn’t gotten us more territory yet, but our light cruisers and destroyers with mine rails have mined their lifeline back to France. With the way they’re rotating ships through there it could easily be a bigger ship next time. If we had never gone there this event wouldn’t have happened.)

Our newest light cruiser cleans up a French raider.

Not so old this time.

The French are building a pair of huge battlecruisers. I need to restart Kurama.

The French fleet is larger than ours, but not by enough for them to fight us and maintain a fleet in France.

The French navy has more light cruisers than we do, but even their latest designs are inferior to our 1919 cruiser series.

More ships go even further afield. I make sure they take minelayers with them.

Success! The Japanese sun rises for the first time in a new ocean.

The most satisfactory treaty with a foreign power ever concluded runs its course.

Yaeyama sinks another French raider. (We are getting VPs for this by the way. It’s become a major source. We’re now up 4-to-1.)

With Fuso due in spring I can afford to build a new light cruiser class leader and replenish the submarine fleet on a deficit. Akashi is the largest and fastest light cruiser yet designed. She carries a battery to rival an old armored cruiser. She’s also the most expensive light cruiser we’ve ever built. (She won’t be ready until December 1924 either.)

The army is finally doing their job.

A convoy raid. The French have come out for once!

Tsukuba and Akitsushima are outside Kilung at night. With a small destroyer screen. Have I peeled too many destroyers off for invading distant shores? Visibility is 3,500 yards.

A ship! French?! What is it? (I really can’t tell.)

Could it really be a minesweeper, this far out?

A destroyer? Less sure about this identification the battlecruiser breaks off. There’s all risk and no reward here.

It really is a minesweeper. Well, it was a minesweeper. Tsukuba hit her with five 12” HE shells. (They were almost all near misses but shrapnel devastated the little boat. A minesweeper isn’t much bigger than a racing schooner. Anyway: What?! How did the battle selection choose this?)

I give Akashi a sister. Fuso money will plug the hole in the budget and Shinano money will build submarines. (I have to build these now if I want them to be active for a useful length of time, even if the thread wants submarines now that it’s voted against them for 20 years.)

More ships need to rotate home. I juggle battleships to maintain local advantages across three oceans.

The army has not yet dislodged the French from Africa. They may not have railroad connections from their West African holdings but the war is much closer to France now.

(This does nothing and motor torpedo boat squadrons were invented in the 1890s anyway.)

After her rebuild, Tatsuta is still sunk by a French raider! (Dang!)

I’m forced to move out of West Africa. It looks like the French are willing to break off ships from their European fleet this close to home.

We commission five submarines. We’re still behind where we were before the war.

It's a good month for them though.

There are now nine French battleships in Asian waters. I empty Japanese home waters to maintain a one-unit advantage in dreadnoughts in Southeast Asia and the Indian Ocean.

The French are committed for the first time. I’m concerned about the number of dreadnoughts with engine trouble from operating away from base. The war is three years old.

This is the last time we will be able to build ships and use them. I decide to take more money and build subs and cruisers with it.

I visit Kure to dine with Fuso’s new captain in her stateroom. Because of wartime measures, the usual appointments have been replaced with steel tables and trays. Nothing flammable has been shipped.

France has nine battleships in Southeast Asia! The fleet steams to concentrate for the decisive battle!

The waiting drags on for weeks. News from home and the front crosses my desk, as I wait for a telegram informing me that the fleet is in action.

French peace terms come in as the Navy and Cabinet wait for the decisive action of the war. There can be no consideration at this time.

More French cruiser crews decide the war is more fun ashore in China.

The French head for home! Those bastards!

A powerful squadron goes after them to protect the campaign in Djibouti.

Most of the news about the war is coming from the army these days.

Russia is in no position to join this war at the moment.

The rebuilds appear not to have helped the Chitose class survive after all.

But the Army has done its job at last! Djibouti is captured and we have a base in the Indian Ocean.

A new battleship and light cruiser join the active fleet.

The French have gone back to their usual strategy: pretending that none of this is happening.

Carefully titrated carbon gas sprayed over the face of red-hot steel plates improves their performance.

I deepen and fortify the harbor at Djibouti.

I need to order new maps again. The last few years have been good for mapmakers and flag makers. Red and white streamers float over civic buildings all over Japan.

Signal intelligence puts only one French battleship in the South China Sea. (Sigint is better but it can still be wrong.)

But this time it's right! The French fleet is pulling out of Asia.

Fighting continues in the deserts of Somaliland.

Shinano arrives. With a healthy budget I give away more money to the Army.

Even Chasseloup Laubat has gone home.

Another old light cruiser is lost. (I’m going to retire the last one. This is stupid, they’re losing VP for no reason now that I have more modern light cruisers available.)

The Imperial Japanese Navy is only operating five submarines at the moment. Twenty-two are on their way.

The French are totally gone from the South China Sea.

The year passes uneventfully. The Chitose rebuilds were a failure, but the Army and Navy working in collaboration has been a success despite slow movement from our Army colleagues. The civilians have started to see small sacrifices, but ultimately we can continue this war indefinitely. Until at least the French political establishment can recognize what the French navy has accepted: we won this war before it was declared. (We lost 3,000 VPs because a 29 knot 5” gun protected cruiser still isn’t a real 1921 light cruiser. In a hotter war this would be inconsequential. As it is it has reduced our VP lead from 4:1 to 3:1. I’m kind of astonished the French managed to keep battleships in Southeast Asia for three years without us ever catching them outside of port but whatever. That’s the game.)

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Presumably they are also starting to run into supply issues out there given the reduction in bases?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Gamerofthegame posted:

This is why:

Shortly after I put France under Blockade by rotating ships in and out of the North Sea.

All you need to do is win one war decisively and grab a base in Europe as your concession. Then you are in business. Or alternately, sign an alliance with a European power and base out of their humongous North Sea / Med ports.

The exact same goes for playing any non-european power, like USA.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TheDemon posted:

All you need to do is win one war decisively and grab a base in Europe as your concession.

:qq:

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Yeah, you had some fantastically terrible luck at the start of this LP, and how quickly you can ramp up very much depends on your first war, especially as Japan.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

From what I've recently learned if all you wanna do is end the war ASAP just commission a shitload of subs and set them to 'Unrestricted'. :v:

Well, that or you'll be at war with everyone in a few months time.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There's one last choice to make: focus on light units, or lay down fast battleships we're unlikely ever to see active?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
At this late stage, light units.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Jeune Ecole, baby.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Do that which will actually have an impact.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Light units. We'll need plenty of escorts for the carrier that will hopefully be named after you.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The Japanese don't name warships after people, AFAIK, unless you're legendarily famous.

Lay down Fast Battleships that your successor will convert into Japan's first Fleet Carriers a few years after you retire. :v:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The Japanese don't name warships after people, AFAIK, unless you're legendarily famous.

Lay down Fast Battleships that your successor will convert into Japan's first Fleet Carriers a few years after you retire. :v:
I don't think they do so at all really, even with heroes.

We'll need light units to make a difference here. Our fleet carriers will have to be build from the keel up and that'll spare us painful lessons in re-purposing ships. (And cost us a lot more in building carriers from the ground up, take your bets, closed hangar or open? armored deck or unarmored?)

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

SIGSEGV posted:

I don't think they do so at all really, even with heroes.

ijn musashi???

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

ijn musashi???

Fairly sure it should be this one since the IJN named their battleships after japanese provinces. Musashi got his nickname from the province if I recall correctly and I think that as a whole westerners are a lot fonder of him than the japanese are and were.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Fill their seas with DDs and CLs.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

SIGSEGV posted:

Fairly sure it should be this one since the IJN named their battleships after japanese provinces. Musashi got his nickname from the province if I recall correctly and I think that as a whole westerners are a lot fonder of him than the japanese are and were.

i say

learn something new every day

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Japan's done a really good job of keeping to a naming scheme even after the US converted their carriers to the world's biggest thank you cards.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

However I can't wait to see what 50kt boat they are to argue their way into calling a destroyer next.

Perhaps they'll aim big and call it a 65kt Nuclear Powered Fixed Wing Destroyer.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

SIGSEGV posted:

However I can't wait to see what 50kt boat they are to argue their way into calling a destroyer next.

Perhaps they'll aim big and call it a 65kt Nuclear Powered Fixed Wing Destroyer.

Had to look into that, and wow:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izumo-class_helicopter_destroyer
That is quite the "destroyer"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It's one of those cases where you wonder if building the island like wasn't aiming too high, I can see it cutting down on helicopter landing spaces like an island located at the front of the carrier wouldn't. I know that's the case for one of the smaller Italian carriers.

• Locked thread