Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

people were mean to each other ON THE INTERNET

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its odd that when you hear about abuse on internet the internet suddenly becomes not important and therefore the abuse isn't important
but when you talk about censorship on the internet the internet suddenly becomes very important and then censorship is important

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i think i could debate this milo guy without peeing my pants let me at him

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

PBS Newshour posted:

its odd that when you hear about abuse on internet the internet suddenly becomes not important and therefore the abuse isn't important
but when you talk about censorship on the internet the internet suddenly becomes very important and then censorship is important

literally none of this matters

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

reallivedinosaur posted:

because i am unafraid of them

woa

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

PBS Newshour posted:

exactly

hurt feelings aren't as important as free speech and open dialogue

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

reallivedinosaur posted:

your sickest burn is literally "hurr ur gay"

try harder and do better

Why are you trying to defend racists? Do you support ignorant, childish views or are you just an rear end in a top hat?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

reallivedinosaur posted:

exactly

hurt feelings aren't as important as free speech and open dialogue

i dunno if someone were to call me something very rude i would say that is mean speech

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Zombie Boat posted:

Why are you trying to defend racists? Do you support ignorant, childish views or are you just an rear end in a top hat?

how am i defending racists?

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

lol

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

please do not laugh at me i feel like we are heading into the mean speech territory when we do that

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Free speech isn't for defending poplar opinions

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

reallivedinosaur posted:

yep

the people who trolled her with gorilla pictures wasnt milo

you want bans on political opinions, i understand that, but i dont because i am unafraid of them

You don't because you espouse them and are never the target of them. And I don't think anyone wants to ban ban them, as in legally. We just want them no-platformed because they're poo. Just like you.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

A Pale Horse posted:

You don't because you espouse them and are never the target of them. And I don't think anyone wants to ban ban them, as in legally. We just want them no-platformed because they're poo. Just like you.

good luck with that

keep reporting my posts im sure lowtax will swoop in to save you any minute

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

reallivedinosaur posted:

how am i defending racists?

How are you not?

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

PBS Newshour posted:

please do not laugh at me i feel like we are heading into the mean speech territory when we do that

THIS MEAN SPEECH MACHINE IS GONNA RUN ROUGHSHOD OVER YA, BROTHERRRRR

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I was being trolled on twitter for hours!

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

lynch_69 posted:

Like every time this happens I always hope the folks behind those anime avatars are 4chan kids doing it for the lulz, and with time they'll realize how lovely they're being and grow out of it. Otherwise it's just sad. Imagine being a grown man with a loving job and family spending all your free time involved with an online group whose crowning achievement is calling a black lady an ape on social media.

I get the feeling that a lot of the people that pull this poo poo are so habituated to 4chan and the likes style of communication that they don't understand how far out of the norm it is. In this case they were obviously deliberately trolling, but there are other examples where they try to interact with people but talk in chan-speak and seem surprised when people respond with hostility.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Zombie Boat posted:

How are you not?

check

and

mate

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Zombie Boat posted:

How are you not?

milo wasnt banned for saying anything racist he was banned for account impersonation

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
imagine waking up in the morning and looking in the mirror to see the love child of adam wesker and ruby rohd

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

It's reeeeeal easy to be for "free speech" when you're never the target of concerted hate campaigns by people who consider you subhuman like Leslie Jones was.

To be clear, I don't think the government has any right or business banning any speech short of that directly and immediately inciting violence, but I do think we as a society have an obligation to make some speech so socially unacceptable as to be defacto off limits. Calling black people apes and doing the digital equivalent of making monkey noises at them is that kind of speech.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
bring back chuck johnson

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

reallivedinosaur posted:

good luck with that

keep reporting my posts im sure lowtax will swoop in to save you any minute

keep thinking you're important enough for me to bother spending 10 bucks so that I could report your posts you half wit.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

A Pale Horse posted:

keep thinking you're important enough for me to bother spending 10 bucks so that I could report your posts you half wit.

you thought that lovely avatar was worth it lmao

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

reallivedinosaur posted:

you thought that lovely avatar was worth it lmao

says how little he thinks of you!!!! heyoooo!!!!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
milo looks like he should be one of those creepy people you run into in the silent hill games who aren't monsters

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
inb4 dinosaur man replies with "as if i care, i too cool"

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

reallivedinosaur posted:

milo wasnt banned for saying anything racist he was banned for account impersonation

Oh got it so you're defending a guy who probably is a racist but probably wasn't being racist at the time. So to answer my question, are you an rear end in a top hat or ignorant? I think I know already

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Twitter is spam email with the illusion of social interaction

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Zombie Boat posted:

Oh got it so you're defending a guy who probably is a racist but probably wasn't being racist at the time. So to answer my question, are you an rear end in a top hat or ignorant? I think I know already

(probably)

gently caress you and your scarlet letter moralizing

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i guess what i am saying is milo looks like a Japanese designed video game character
he could probably fit in some animes too

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

reallivedinosaur posted:

gently caress you and your scarlet letter moralizing

LMAO this is the first funny thing you said all thread

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

PBS Newshour posted:

i guess what i am saying is milo looks like a Japanese designed video game character
he could probably fit in some animes too

if lesley Jones was in anime it'd be really racist and I assume most of these posters decrying hate speech would chalk it up to "cultural differences"

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Molothecat posted:

if lesley Jones was in anime it'd be really racist and I assume most of these posters decrying hate speech would chalk it up to "cultural differences"

she would make a great mr popo

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

A Pale Horse posted:

It's reeeeeal easy to be for "free speech" when you're never the target of concerted hate campaigns by people who consider you subhuman like Leslie Jones was.

To be clear, I don't think the government has any right or business banning any speech short of that directly and immediately inciting violence, but I do think we as a society have an obligation to make some speech so socially unacceptable as to be defacto off limits. Calling black people apes and doing the digital equivalent of making monkey noises at them is that kind of speech.

Except you can't do that on twitter because the internet is anonymous you maroon. There's no consequences unless you're the kind of worthless trash who makes your living based off your internet username.

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

PBS Newshour posted:

milo looks like he should be one of those creepy people you run into in the silent hill games who aren't monsters

He's the Shiba Inu pulling the shitposting levers behind the scenes.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Molothecat posted:

actually i disagree with this hypothetical scenario

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

i think twitter doesnt want to ban the actual hordes of racists who generate money for them by using their product which is why they banned milo instead so they can be all "see we are doing something about them cyber bulliez" most of those accounts tweeting racist garbage at leslie still seem to be active but we shot Osama so its all over now right

• Locked thread