Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

Also Jung-Ho Kang :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRnSnfiUI54&t=18s

(Close enough :ninja:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Apparently tomorrow night's Cubs/Pirates game is on MLB Network and being broadcast by Costas and Doc Emrick

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Trout just stole home!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MrMojok posted:

Trout just stole home!

Yeah but it was a double steal, I'm not that impressed.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh. I just saw the notification on my phone, didn't know it was a double steal.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

video link

not sure why he didn't just tag Pujols coming in to second

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Inspector_666 posted:

You can still be impressed because it means old Albert got a SB too.

I like Trout stealing bases again, he's up to 15 SB (1 CS) which is more than last year and is basically equal to what he did 2 years ago.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

bawfuls posted:

video link

not sure why he didn't just tag Pujols coming in to second

pujols was stopped up waiting for trout to go home and then when the ss cut the throw off he took the base. the run was going to score regardless but yeah it was a dumb mistake to not get out of the inning at least.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Brad Miller made a defensive mistake? Shocking.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Aledmys Diaz replaces Matt Carpenter in the ASG.

Good, Diaz deserved it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
SAS Request: List as many toe tap stride hitters as you can. Think Sammy Sosa.

I tend to watch a lot of slow motion and analysis videos on baseball swings and I've recently adopted a toe touch stride but I'm having trouble finding information and videos on players who use the toe touch stride besides big names like Sosa/Chipper.

Popete fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 7, 2016

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Tulo used to have a toe tap but now he's all about that leg kick.

Leg kicks are the new hotness, catch up Popete.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Matt Harvey has thoracic outlet syndrome. Very rare for a pitcher to come back from that and be a 200-inning guy again.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ice To Meet You posted:

Matt Harvey has thoracic outlet syndrome. Very rare for a pitcher to come back from that and be a 200-inning guy again.
Josh Beckett came back from it and pitched pretty well for half a season then he retired. He did throw a no-hitter in that time though!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ice To Meet You posted:

Didn't somebody else just get diagnosed this, or am I just thinking of speculation about Harvey himself?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Oh well, at least Boras wont be able to hold the Mets hostage over him anymore.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

Big ol' monster leg kicks well cool looking really throw off my timing and balance. The toe tap is funny cause it always looks like the hitter hosed up and is trying to restart their stride mid swing.

Jose Bautista I am not.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Inspector_666 posted:

Didn't somebody else just get diagnosed this, or am I just thinking of speculation about Harvey himself?

Phil Hughes had a rib removed like a week or so ago to help with the same issue since he was already out for the year with a broken femur.

http://www.1500espn.com/twins-2/2016/07/phil-hughes-says-all-is-well-after-pitcher-has-surgery-to-remove-rib/

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Shame for Harvey that he has the worst agent in baseball. Imagine if it was even a possibility that a year removed from TJ Harvey got a deal that paid him like 10-15 mil a year at the expense of a year or two of FA. The Mets would of jumped on that in a second. Harvey would have a nice nest egg in the bank no matter what. Now the guy is going to hit arbitration with a TJ on his resume and now this, which might cost him his career.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Boras wouldn't let that happen because it would crush his shark image. All his guys are going to get huge massive bank-breaking contracts.

Boras let this happen because he's too obsessed with his own reputation, and Matt Harvey may have to deal with it for the rest of his life.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Spoeank posted:

Boras wouldn't let that happen because it would crush his shark image. All his guys are going to get huge massive bank-breaking contracts.

Boras let this happen because he's too obsessed with his own reputation, and Matt Harvey may have to deal with it for the rest of his life.

Stephen Strasburg.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.

davecrazy posted:

Shame for Harvey that he has the worst agent in baseball. Imagine if it was even a possibility that a year removed from TJ Harvey got a deal that paid him like 10-15 mil a year at the expense of a year or two of FA. The Mets would of jumped on that in a second. Harvey would have a nice nest egg in the bank no matter what. Now the guy is going to hit arbitration with a TJ on his resume and now this, which might cost him his career.

You're calling the guy who got the O's to compete with themselves to get Chris Davis 7/160 and tried to get Harvey to stop pitching in 2015 for this exact reason the worst agent in baseball? I'm sorry your team broken one of it's rising stars, but it certainly has nothing to do with his agent.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

Phil Hughes had a rib removed like a week or so ago to help with the same issue
That's the story but really it's so he can suck his own dick like Marilyn Manson.

Gordon Beckham activated from DL and that's actually cause for celebration for these Braves.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Boras, the guy who consistently gets most of his people giant pools of record breaking cash, is a bad agent

ok

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

ZenVulgarity posted:

Boras, the guy who consistently gets most of his people giant pools of record breaking cash, is a bad agent

ok

Not bad. Worst.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Get a load of these guys reading davecrazy posts

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Citi Field is a cleverly-disguised mass grave for talented baseball players to go die

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

New Concept Hole posted:

Citi Field is a cleverly-disguised mass grave for talented baseball players to go die

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

New Concept Hole posted:

People think Ray Ramirez is a terrible trainer, but he's actually a very competent necromancer.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

New Concept Hole posted:

The cubs certainly did, checks out

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
thank gently caress no Cubs are in the home run derby.

edit: seeding as follows

1. Mark Trumbo
2. Todd Frazier, the title defender
3. Adam Duvall
4. Robinson Cano
5. Giancarlo Stanton, the obvious winner
6. Wil Myers, because Padres
7. Carlos Gonzalez
8. Corey Seager, who wants to be this season's Joc Pederson and die in the second half

Poque fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 7, 2016

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

I heard he ditched the leg kick but I have no idea if it's true

Mazara does a toe tap. Supposedly switching to it from a leg kick in Low-A was the trigger for his breakout

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

N: Red Sox acquire Aaron Hill and cash from the Brewers for Aaron Wilkerson and Wendell Rijo
V: good bench acquisition for Boston I think.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Yeah, Tulo is back to a sort of toe-tap/foot twist thing that seems to be really working for him right now.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v897904083/kctor-tulowitzkis-threerun-shot-breaks-open-game/?player_id=453064

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Excited to see some Trumbombs, had to look up who Duvall is.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

bawfuls posted:

Why on earth you're suggesting that the best food is Toronto is a (chain) burrito place is beyond me. I have found fantastic pizza, poutine, pho, and a hipster as gently caress sausage place that was excellent in Toronto but I have yet to find respectable Mexican food there. I found some passable tacos around Dundas and Church once but that's the closest so far. Toronto is a great city (particularly in the summer) and I have always enjoyed my time there but I can't imagine recommending someone actually seek out Mexican food there.

I realize this post is days old, but I like La Carnita.

ArtVandelay posted:

I didn't go to Burrito Boyz, but I did just go to Burger's Priest. That place is amazing. Thanks for the Toronto recommendations guys.

Burger Priest is, like, my favourite burger joint.

For baseball related posting, uh, I hope the Jays keep a-winnin'.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Mazara does a toe tap. Supposedly switching to it from a leg kick in Low-A was the trigger for his breakout

Does Mazara still do a toe tap? I found some footage from when he was with Round Rock and he had a toe tap but then the only MLB video of his 491 HR he didn't toe tap.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Popete posted:

Does Mazara still do a toe tap? I found some footage from when he was with Round Rock and he had a toe tap but then the only MLB video of his 491 HR he didn't toe tap.

Huh yeah, I guess he dropped it this year and I somehow never noticed, probably on account of being dumb. Oops

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

howe_sam posted:

N: Red Sox acquire Aaron Hill and cash from the Brewers for Aaron Wilkerson and Wendell Rijo
V: good bench acquisition for Boston I think.

Looked these guys up. First seems like an ok pitching prospect, latter seems like he probably won't go anywhere. That about right? Seems like a decent trade since we have plenty of infield depth in the minors but still struggle to develop pitching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Looked these guys up. First seems like an ok pitching prospect, latter seems like he probably won't go anywhere. That about right? Seems like a decent trade since we have plenty of infield depth in the minors but still struggle to develop pitching.

Wilkerson is a guy the Red Sox picked up off the scrap heap, and given what a dumpster fire their 4th and 5th starters have been this season you have to think if they thought he was going to be good at the MLB level he'd be in Boston right now. With Rijo there's the fact that he's under aged for his level to explain away his poor performance this year and hope that he'll turn into something.

• Locked thread