Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Being a forest hunter is by far the most unpleasant and tedious covenant experience in the game unless you've already built your character for PvP, because there is no upper limit on invasions and even an SL15 hunter with some +5 sword will regularly invade SL120+ dudes in big armor with two phantoms.

And the worst part is that those big 120 dudes aren't even the sort of PvPers who like to have fun. More often than not they'll just run up and start trying to hit/backstab you regardless of what you're doing. Even if you're doing the channeler dance.

I can only imagine how many of them on PC are also using infinite life hacks on top of all their other anti-fun measures.

There's no lower limit either, right? At least forest hunters get a shot at low level players, red phantoms can only go up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

tractor fanatic posted:

There's no lower limit either, right? At least forest hunters get a shot at low level players, red phantoms can only go up.

Darkmoons can also invade either end of the spectrum unless it got changed.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

It'd be nice to get as many PC Dark Souls goons as possible with SL1 builds so we don't have trouble getting help with the bosses. I'm idling outside the Burg bonfire with the ladder shortcut if anybody wants help with Havel

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!

VisAbsoluta posted:

What's the easiest way to reach the Sunbros statue/bonfire? I still haven't done it. :v:

Peek up the stairs and let it blow some fire. Then run straight across the bridge to the little alcove on the other side from the stairs. It will do another fire breath and then just hang out for 20-30 second and it will fly down and land on the bridge. Then just run/roll between its legs and book it to the altar.

Oh that's a couple pages old, what I get for forgetting to refresh the thread.

biggfoo fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 30, 2012

Orv
May 4, 2011

biggfoo posted:

Peek up the stairs and let it blow some fire. Then run straight across the bridge to the little alcove on the other side from the stairs. It will do another fire breath and then just hang out for 20-30 second and it will fly down and land on the bridge. Then just run/roll between its legs and book it to the altar.

You can just stand on the stairs side, so long as you start running the moment it lifts off.

E:

biggfoo posted:

Oh that's a couple pages old, what I get for forgetting to refresh the thread.

Hardly your fault, this thread is a really fast train to post hell.

Orv fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 30, 2012

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Whatup.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
In the S&O fight, who do I want to kill first re: items? Is there one pile of stuff that you can get that's better than the other?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The sky in Dark Souls really is glorious. I understand why Solaire is so impressed.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Kill Smough first

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I managed to beat the Gaping Dragon right now and it took me, I dunno, ten or fifteen tries, with the last one taking like half an hour. I think my equipment is finally starting to show its age. :(

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

Darkmoons can also invade either end of the spectrum unless it got changed.

I've invaded people below my Soul Level as a Darkwraith. I doubt the people I fought would lie either.

Where did this misinformation arise from anyway?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Verviticus posted:

In the S&O fight, who do I want to kill first re: items? Is there one pile of stuff that you can get that's better than the other?

You get a ring for killing Ornstein second but it isn't incredibly useful unless you're heavy into a block/counterattack spear build.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
^^^ pretty much the only thing I do is block, roll and stab with a halberd would that count

tractor fanatic posted:

Kill Smough first

Also: I don't really want to summon Solaire and make the fight any easier - is there a good reason to summon him at least once throughout the game (maybe he gives you an item or something) because last I talked to him he was strongly hinting that MAYBE YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING ALL OF THESE BOSSES ALONE

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Verviticus posted:

Whose armor do you like better? Kill them last.

Also if you have at least 24 STR and DEX, you'll probably want to consider killing Ornstein last for his spear. He also drops a ring but it's really not that great.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Verviticus posted:

^^^ pretty much the only thing I do is block, roll and stab with a halberd would that count

Also: I don't really want to summon Solaire and make the fight any easier - is there a good reason to summon him at least once throughout the game (maybe he gives you an item or something) because last I talked to him he was strongly hinting that MAYBE YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING ALL OF THESE BOSSES ALONE

Aside from acting as a distraction and getting you a Sunlight medal, there often isn't a reason to summon him. However, he can be very, very good for one fight in particular, the final boss. Only, it's a pain in the rear end and a waste of time and resources to unlock him for that one fight so you're better off on your own.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Verviticus posted:

Have you noticed how sometimes when you attack right after you block an enemy's attack you do more damage? The ring increases the damage from that with certain weapons. Pretty sure the Halberd is one of them.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Verviticus posted:

The tradeoff for that fight is Solaire makes the first part easier in exchange for making the second part harder. The first part is way harder overall and is pretty much unique for a boss fight.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

jonjonaug posted:

Have you noticed how sometimes when you attack right after you block an enemy's attack you do more damage? The ring increases the damage from that with certain weapons. Pretty sure the Halberd is one of them.

It increases it for Thrusting weaons or weapons with Thrusting moves. Most halberds are listed as Regular/Thrust, so it'll help for at least some of the moves. Not sure which ones, though. And it's hard to say without just testing it with the ring, since even their behind-the-sheild thrust-style moves are still kind of a slashing motion.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 30, 2012

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Are there any sources of Demon titanite in the midgame? I've managed to upgrade the Gravelords Sword to +3 via titanite you get from snuggly and the two titanite demons in Catacombs/Parish.

What a great weapon too, really love it.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

Are there any sources of Demon titanite in the midgame? I've managed to upgrade the Gravelords Sword to +3 via titanite you get from snuggly and the two titanite demons in Catacombs/Parish.

There are a bunch of Titanite Demons in Sen's and one in Anor Londo.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
There is a respawning Titanite demon in a late game zone Lost Izalith

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

FrickenMoron posted:

There's four in Sen's. However, the last two will probably slaughter you. You also probably want to have the Rusted Iron Ring
Anor Londo has one, as well as some chests with Demon Titanite.
There's a respawning one late into the game in Lost Izalith.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I haven't gone there yet, still need to finish blighttown. Also does anyone else thinkg gravelord is a terrible covenant? The pvp only works in areas you can get invaded.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Hey Edwhirl, I just noticed that you use the nickname Edwar505. We played together in the Depths today, I'm subsilentium, the guy using the Halberd and Elite Knight Set + Leather Armor!

I did suck at the Gaping Dragon, but I managed to beat it some time later. Thanks for the great help unlocking the shortcut to the bonfire. :)

What the gently caress were you doing at the beginning closing the door? I laughed because I thought that, after trying to summon someone for ages, I ended up getting some griefer.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

There is a respawning Titanite demon in a late game zone Lost Izalith
At the end of the game there are easy ways to get basically all the crafting resources you could want. You'll probably start NG+ with all your favorite weapons and equipment all fully upgraded.

edit: vvv having it doesn't do anything (other than allow you to warp), you need to give it to frampt. Or do you?!?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 30, 2012

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...
How do I get into those giant orange/yellow fog doors? I have the lordvessel and still won't let me inside.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

What's a great place to farm for souls again? I'm at 60 or so, I can't get summoned for O&S, ever (even though I'm a sunbro), and I tried to dry finger at the Forest but I kept getting two losers who couldn't hurt me and only gave me 3k each.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Seemenaked posted:

How do I get into those giant orange/yellow fog doors? I have the lordvessel and still won't let me inside.
You need to have placed the Lordvessel by taking it to a primordial serpant.

Bobnumerotres posted:

What's a great place to farm for souls again? I'm at 60 or so, I can't get summoned for O&S, ever (even though I'm a sunbro), and I tried to dry finger at the Forest but I kept getting two losers who couldn't hurt me and only gave me 3k each.
People say the forest is good for soul-farming because of the NPCs, not invading players. Also you can just run the circuit of Silver Knights near the bonfire in AL. They're really quick and easy to kill with parries or backstabs and they give at least 1000 souls each. Plus you can leave a summon sign at that bonfire while you do it.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 30, 2012

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Bobnumerotres posted:

Equip the hornet ring, mimic hat, and silver ring, put your sign down in Anor Londo, and just run the silver knight circuit by riposting with your highest damage weapon. If you can get an overkill bonus on the silver knights, you'll end up with around 19k souls for a 3 minute run.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKVB4sL4Sxg
10-15k souls a minute once you get your route down.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

There's some ridiculous exp to be made in the Painted World:

The phalanx respawning miniboss is a chump to mass AoE like Wrath of the Gods, It one shots all of them and you net 8000 xp, the bonfire is super close too.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

FrickenMoron posted:

I haven't gone there yet, still need to finish blighttown. Also does anyone else thinkg gravelord is a terrible covenant? The pvp only works in areas you can get invaded.

Might be fun to use on a new game plus run. Just drop the sign in each stage of the game as you play through it again.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
How do you summon other phantoms anyways? I see a lot of people in those pvp vids posted here running around with friendly phantoms, are there a lot more summon spots for npcs later on or can you somehow get permanent phantom followers?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Those are player phantoms, go human and you should see summon signs all over the place, especially near boss doors/bonfires.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 30, 2012

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
New to the game, I'm only around level twenty-something and I'm sort of dragging my heels and grinding around the Parish area. Anyway, I get invaded every once in a while. Now, I'm to understand they can only be so much higher level than me -- if I'm not going toe to toe with some chump five times my level, why is it that a strike from my bastard sword just whittles a tiny sliver off their health bar but so much as a nick from their weird bleed-all-over-the-place blade chops off half of mine?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ellbent posted:

New to the game, I'm only around level twenty-something and I'm sort of dragging my heels and grinding around the Parish area. Anyway, I get invaded every once in a while. Now, I'm to understand they can only be so much higher level than me -- if I'm not going toe to toe with some chump five times my level, why is it that a strike from my bastard sword just whittles a tiny sliver off their health bar but so much as a nick from their weird bleed-all-over-the-place blade chops off half of mine?
Soul levels don't mean anything towards how good their equipment is and how far it is upgraded.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 30, 2012

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
The game bases multiplayer and PvP matchmaking on your level, but your actual effectiveness in combat is mostly based on your equipment. This is why it's possible to have SL 1 runthroughs of the game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ellbent posted:

A fun thing to do after your first playthrough is grab the master key and sequence break your way to all the best hidden equipment in the game, then go to Undead Burg/Parish and invade new players. You're a victim right now, but one day you can be the twinked out rear end in a top hat!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Soul levels don't mean anything towards ho good their equipment is and how far it is upgraded.

Yup, I'm SL12 (I could not resist some quips and upped dex/str on my hunter to 16 and got 1 more attunement for a slot) but have some really good equip after running through some of the more advanced areas. I invaded some poor sap yesterday and the gravelords sword did almost 500 on a R2 attack. I opted to leave the area though because it seemed so unfair and let myself get summoned by him instead and we beat up the boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
I'd just like to be invaded once or twice and actually experience an interesting and suspenseful session of mano-a-mano combat rather than find myself being puréed by a dual-wielding prick in tattered (yet impenetrable) robes.

That's, uh. That's not going to happen, is it.

• Locked thread