Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Reb posted:

Is there a reward if you happen to find one roaming around????

Your character gets kidnapped and put on a milk carton too.

Please try again. Lamar will meet your new character at the airport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Hamburlgar posted:

This is what I honestly don't understand.

How can/do they expect people to reach the higher levels without the means to replay missions?

Free play is a total waste of time as you earn no RP and can't even have fun greifing pubbies as you get labeled a 'bad sport'.

Levelling by even 1 level once you hit mid-20's will take a solid few days of phoning mission givers over and over until something worthwhile comes up.

I know this sounds like a goontears post, but I don't see any feasible way of reaching even lvl 40.

The free2play concept has ingrained itself deep in the sub-conscious of game developers, that's the reason. What I find kind of ironic is that you can't get cash cards yet, at least from what I saw when I was doing some other glitches involving going to the PS store from the game menu. That's the reason they're doing this. People will blaze through content no matter what this just keeps anyone not playing obsessively from doing it too.

I think it's worse here too because of how unbalanced the game becomes when you face higher level people who will have grenades + bombs or just better guns.

But you can still boost with friends very easily and I would pitch in if goons wanted to have racing meets to let each other win for bigger bucks because the more people in the race the more the winner gets. Plus we'd unlock the mods for cars doing that.

Aishan posted:

Races and Deathmatches give RP too, you know. Don't be fooled by the end-of-round tally in DM also, as you get extra RP for every kill.

Hell, you even get RP for the side-activities like Golf, Tennis and Darts -- golf alone gives ~2500 for a full round.

There's plenty of ways to get RP without replaying the same mission over and over, ad infinitum.

Yeah but this isn't taking into account how long and mind numbing they can become. Darts is probably the fastest if you have a surefire way of winning though. The RP you get for kills is only 20-25 as well.

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

"...But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Your character gets kidnapped and put on a milk carton too.

Please try again. Lamar will meet your new character at the airport.

Why doesn't he ever bring me a rose :( Why does he hate boys :(

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

Lunethex posted:

But you can still boost with friends very easily and I would pitch in if goons wanted to have racing meets to let each other win for bigger bucks because the more people in the race the more the winner gets. Plus we'd unlock the mods for cars doing that.
You don't even need to bother boosting. If you have even four people in a race, the top player will get $5600-$7000 (not quite sure what causes the value to vary) and around 1200 RP, even the loser will usually get just shy of $2000 and about 700 RP.

Just get some friends together and play normally, you get plenty just by racing without having to game the system. Hell, you might even have some fun in the process. And if you're not having fun playing the game normally, what are you bothering to grind for anyway?

I guess I just don't understand why everyone feels the need to boost or grind out the same mission, unless you want the expensive apartment immediately, you get enough money to buy what you need as you rank up.

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

"...But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."

Aishan posted:

I guess I just don't understand why everyone feels the need to boost or grind out the same mission, unless you want the expensive apartment immediately, you get enough money to buy what you need as you rank up.

It's probably mostly to open up a whole lot more poo poo. Have you been to the chop shop and seen all those locked off upgrades? Same with guns and stuff. Like others have said, half of them just want to get to the good/fun poo poo to play with. And not have to grind for 40 hours to get there.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
A lot of the missions can be a huge mixed bag and range from easily taking maybe 2 minutes, to doing something really tedious that takes upwards of 10. People might as well just grind out the easier ones.

cka
May 3, 2004

Aishan posted:

Money is a nice thing to have, especially when dying in freeroam takes upwards of $2000 of it*. And maybe some other people just wanna go ham with the mini gun in a free roam without playing the game for 2 years to get to level 120 or playing through survival to get one and pray they don't get booted out of the session, or buy a high-end sports car for their collection without the game becoming a long, tedious chore for money and not investing in those pdlc money boosters.

* This might get more reasonable if Rockstar implements the BAWSAQ into GTA:O so we can use it as a bootleg high-returns investment bank account that the hospital won't ever touch, but who the hell knows if that'll ever happen

e: vvvv Seriously, what makes more sense: grinding out "mixed up with coke" and having fun/trolling around for an hour or spending $50 or so in money boosters to buy multi-million dollar cars in the game? My time is certainly more expendable than my actual income, especially when it comes to video games.

cka fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 9, 2013

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

cka posted:

... tedious chore for money and not investing in those pdlc money boosters.

It's kind of funny how little people value their time. That they'll spend hours doing the same thing, or swapping wins, just to get the same amount of money they could spend £6 in cash to buy.

Sure, having miniguns in Free-Roam immediately would be fun... for maybe half an hour. Then you realise everyone has it, and it's back to the same poo poo that GTA IV free-roam turned into where people do nothing but blow each other's cars up as you spawn and absolutely nothing else.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I don't know about anyone else, but after buying a full $60 game, paying money for a limited in-game resource puts a really bad taste in my mouth. It really isn't excusable that they made the online portion of the game a huge grind in order to encourage in-app purchases.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

They actually didn't even have to include online and it was still well worth a $60 purchase.

I'd wait until the heist patch is added before complaining that you can't have everything immediately.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Alan Smithee posted:

Where do you get the tank? While we're at it does someone know how to get an RPG or grenade launcher before the unlock legitimately? And keep it of course

A goon (Ragebeef) dropped a bunch of them with a Cargobob last night.

13stitches
Mar 13, 2012

You were born free, you got fucked out of half of it and you wave a flag celebrating it.
Miniguns for all and everyone might be a bit too much but please let me go a little bit crazy. Not balls to the wall crazy but "let's sticky bomb each other for a bit" crazy. Let me parachute off a high building with another goon without having me grind to about level 20. Hide the tank in Fort Zancudo and don't let every bonehead get one right away but maybe give us a possibility to turn off cops so I don't have to worry every time I jack a car? You know, little things.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Oh neat, I got a 5% discount for having a 90% Good Guy rating.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Croccers posted:

I usually get $1k as a reward for being a good guy. :)

It's the thought that counts.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
So everyone's new favorite troll is when they lose in a race to me, they like to set the next race to 99 laps and leave at the loading screen... Thanks, jerks. :argh:

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

miscellaneous14 posted:

I don't know about anyone else, but after buying a full $60 game, paying money for a limited in-game resource puts a really bad taste in my mouth. It really isn't excusable that they made the online portion of the game a huge grind in order to encourage in-app purchases.
The only thing I would call a huge-grind is the apartment, and there's absolutely no reason you must immediately get the $200k+ 10-car ones. There's plenty of cheap ones around with ample storage, or hell just stand-alone garages if all you're interested in is a place to store your vehicles.

Everything else is more than affordable as you rank up normally.

Croccers posted:

I was wondering about that on my first character, I saw the cost of buying armour going down very slightly and was curious to why. Good to know it's for not being a dick!

InsanityRocks
Oct 28, 2006
I'm a rocker . . I'm a roller too baby!
I'd love to be having the online experience you guys are getting. Granted I'm not playing with goons so the free roam for me is just keep away from real people or risk getting shot up. When I load up it probably takes 5 mins to load into free roam. When in any lobby there is a 50% chance it feels like to play it or get sent back to single player. Never managed to get into a death match style game at all error code every time. Is this a normal experience or is there anything I can do to help?

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

InsanityRocks posted:

Is this a normal experience or is there anything I can do to help?
What system are you playing on? Are you all set up when it comes to port-forwarding and the like?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Cargobobs don't seem to be spawning any more for me.

This truly is No Fun Allowed: The Patch :negative:

InsanityRocks
Oct 28, 2006
I'm a rocker . . I'm a roller too baby!

Aishan posted:

What system are you playing on? Are you all set up when it comes to port-forwarding and the like?

Xbox360 and I'm not wireless so that means I don't need to worry about port forwarding, is that right?

13stitches
Mar 13, 2012

You were born free, you got fucked out of half of it and you wave a flag celebrating it.

Icedude posted:

Cargobobs don't seem to be spawning any more for me.

This truly is No Fun Allowed: The Patch :negative:

Shouldn't there be one at the big airport in the South? I saw a vid detailing how to get it there but haven't had one show up yet and that was yesterday and before the patch.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

13stitches posted:

Shouldn't there be one at the big airport in the South? I saw a vid detailing how to get it there but haven't had one show up yet and that was yesterday and before the patch.

Consensus seems to be that air-vehicle spawns are tied to the rank of the player who approaches the area and causes them to spawn. I think you eventually out-rank cargobobs, unfortunately.

InsanityRocks posted:

Xbox360 and I'm not wireless so that means I don't need to worry about port forwarding, is that right?

I think you may still need to do it on wired connections, but I'm not 100% positive.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The bad sport tier is amazing. I was in a lobby with a guy at level 165.

Edit: now I'm a lobby with a guy singing showtunes. It's great. :munch: Also a guy with 191.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 9, 2013

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

InsanityRocks posted:

I'd love to be having the online experience you guys are getting. Granted I'm not playing with goons so the free roam for me is just keep away from real people or risk getting shot up. When I load up it probably takes 5 mins to load into free roam. When in any lobby there is a 50% chance it feels like to play it or get sent back to single player. Never managed to get into a death match style game at all error code every time. Is this a normal experience or is there anything I can do to help?

Just join a goon crew dude, it isn't perfect but it beats playing with most pubbies.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Hamburlgar posted:

So now that R* have removed the ability to remove missions, how do they honestly expect people to get to the higher levels?

The pitiful amount if RP you get per mission, and the amount of time it takes to get them started/do I really can't see this surviving part the next few weeks.

With missions paying out 800-1000RP without being able to restart post mission do they honestly expect people to stick around long enough to get to Rank 120 for the mini gun?

No because theres more than 200 missions that aren't in the game yet that have much higher payouts

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
So, after a job session I am now stuck in limbo in the location switching screen. You know, the birds eye view of Los Santos, but it won't zoom in. I have the ammo count for my pistol as well. I cannot take any action although I am getting invite notifications and other session related notifications. The only button on my xbox controller I am getting any sort of response on is D-pad down, which shows me how much cash in hand and cash in bank I have. Anybody else encounter this issue? Also, is there a way to fix it without rebooting my box? I am a bit wary of that what with people getting rolled back all the time and I'm afraid I'd be loving up the cloud mechanics....

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
I believe that someone earlier in the thread said that if you get stuck like that and cut your internet connection (pull the cord, turn off your wireless router), it should drop you back to the singleplayer.

Still seems risky either way though.

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012
Only thing that's making GBS threads me off lately is when I just want to do a bunch of races (because they are awesome) and I feel like I'm spending 75% of my time sitting in loading screens and lobbies. The races are incredibly fun but loving let me play them NOW. And the refusal of people to speed things along even a little bit by hitting Like or Dislike. Why does this game hate me enjoying myself?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Croccers posted:

How do you see the % of your good/bad guy rating?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

TjyvTompa posted:

How do you see the % of your good/bad guy rating?
I didn't, that's just what the little popup said. I get a 5% discount for having a 90% good rating from other players. :shrug:

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Aishan posted:

You don't even need to bother boosting. If you have even four people in a race, the top player will get $5600-$7000 (not quite sure what causes the value to vary) and around 1200 RP, even the loser will usually get just shy of $2000 and about 700 RP.

Just get some friends together and play normally, you get plenty just by racing without having to game the system. Hell, you might even have some fun in the process. And if you're not having fun playing the game normally, what are you bothering to grind for anyway?

I think one issue is that the low level content is honestly pretty boring and not very fun outside of racing - I don't like the structured deathmatch modes personally. The way it's set up you're clearly supposed to be doing lovely jobs for lovely pay given by Lamar's contacts and then buy a lovely garage or apartment in the ghetto. Eventually you attract the attention of higher level criminals like Madrazo who give you better paying and more interesting jobs to do.

To reach that point you can spend days doing Simeon's annoying bullshit where you chase the Terminator in a sports car for 20 minutes for $1000 or just take an invite to a higher level friend's game and grind something simple out for a while, then cut loose. I don't have much of a fear of dying while loving around in free roam since my bank account can handle the loss. Plus my character being lost only increased my desire to game the system because gently caress having to start over from scratch after playing for several days (thankfully the money I earned then stayed in the shared bank account).

DailyDumSum
May 21, 2004
Fresh Daily
This might be one of the more stupid questions in this thread, but I just can't find a definite answer.

My friend is on the XBOX 360 while I'm on the PS3. He insist that since GTA Online is on the same servers, that as long as we are in the same crew/friends in the Social Club, he should be able to join my sessions.

I said he's stupid and proceed to mention that other than FF online, there's never been any real cross-platform multi-player. However, I can't seem to use google to find a definite answer that XBOX and PS3 characters can't play in the same sessions. Help me out!

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Crappers posted:

Only thing that's making GBS threads me off lately is when I just want to do a bunch of races (because they are awesome) and I feel like I'm spending 75% of my time sitting in loading screens and lobbies. The races are incredibly fun but loving let me play them NOW. And the refusal of people to speed things along even a little bit by hitting Like or Dislike. Why does this game hate me enjoying myself?

That's the real issue with them disabling mission replay right here. The load and transfer-to-new-session times for this game are loving atrocious. Ironically, the game works better when the cloud servers are loving up. It properly drops you back into the last session you were in, with your party, when the servers are hosed. When they're working, it sends you to random sessions without your friends. It's just crazy.

Rockstar definitely isn't interested in multiplayer fun at all.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Tuxedo Jack posted:

So everyone's new favorite troll is when they lose in a race to me, they like to set the next race to 99 laps and leave at the loading screen... Thanks, jerks. :argh:
I was in a race last night with another crew. Just me and four friends. I mopped the floor with them in one race, and then in the remaining two they went out of their way to make sure I didn't come in first (regardless of which one of them actually won the race).

Bad form, guys :(

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

DailyDumSum posted:

This might be one of the more stupid questions in this thread, but I just can't find a definite answer.

My friend is on the XBOX 360 while I'm on the PS3. He insist that since GTA Online is on the same servers, that as long as we are in the same crew/friends in the Social Club, he should be able to join my sessions.

I said he's stupid and proceed to mention that other than FF online, there's never been any real cross-platform multi-player. However, I can't seem to use google to find a definite answer that XBOX and PS3 characters can't play in the same sessions. Help me out!

Your friend is an idiot.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
They should just do a complete server wipe. Everyone back to level 1. :suicide:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm Rank 9 and want the fun stuff, who can I grind with? PSN: ijyt

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Having rounded the night out with some good experiences, I think I enjoy the limitations and lack of RPGs everywhere, and I am not looking forward to the days when everyone is max level and is fully kitted out. Some things should only be rare drops or items that are hard to get. Make all the best stuff be in the military base or prison or something so that it is a fight just to get it, let alone use it.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
No, it's bullshit that by day 7 im not Rank 150

Rockstar is loving us again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The bad sport poo poo is probably to prevent people who've unlocked RPGs, GLs and miniguns from completely ruining everyone else's fun in free roam. You can at least survive the other weapons in your car. It's not a great way of handling it, obviously, but you'll probably be thankful once more people hit the higher levels, I know I will.

• Locked thread