Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Ron Jeremy posted:

I got the impression that inn was a major waypoint on the kings road. Seems like a good place to wait.
Yeah they visit that inn a bunch of times throughout the books, it's past and present history is a running side story. They talk about it as far back as the early Targaryen kings and I think it played some role in the blackfyre rebellion.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the dragon inn was some other place wasn't it?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

jsoh posted:

the dragon inn was some other place wasn't it?
pretty sure it's the same inn at the crossroads - there was a whole thing about how it changed names a bunch

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Catelyn remembered it from her childhood, the nice fat lady always chewed sour leaf. Later arya sees the fat old red toothed lady hanging from a tree? Am I remembering that right? Then later Brienne buys a boat there and almost gets robbed? Is there only one inn? I feel like every inn I've ever read in these series was the same inn now.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Krinkle posted:

Catelyn remembered it from her childhood, the nice fat lady always chewed sour leaf. Later arya sees the fat old red toothed lady hanging from a tree? Am I remembering that right? Then later Brienne buys a boat there and almost gets robbed? Is there only one inn? I feel like every inn I've ever read in these series was the same inn now.
They are literally all the same inn. I think it's where they stop when joffrey gets lady killed.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
lady gets got at the darry holdfast I think and brienne sells her boat and buys horses there

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

They are literally all the same inn. I think it's where they stop when joffrey gets lady killed.

http://www.dionaea-house.com/ (Spoilers for a genuinely awesome horror story) "Every Inn in Westeros is part of the same extradimensional superorganism" sounds like a Preston theory, does he take suggestions?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

jsoh posted:

lady gets got at the darry holdfast I think and brienne sells her boat and buys horses there
Yeah the inn is on darry lands - that's part of the history. I'm pretty sure it was Darry who took down it's black dragon sign during the blackfyre rebellion. It's funny that y'all think I'm kidding but they were literally all the same inn!

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Krinkle posted:

I may be wrong but isn't that also the inn Hot Pie got left at?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

MrSlam posted:

I may be wrong but isn't that also the inn Hot Pie got left at?
I thought hot pie stayed at harrenhall. Gendry is at the inn when brienne goes there though.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I thought hot pie made it to harrenhall. Gendry is at the inn when brienne goes there though.

He escaped Harrenhal with Arya and they got captured by the Brotherhood. He decided to stay at the Inn of the Kneeling Man, ala wiki.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

MrSlam posted:

He escaped Harrenhal with Arya and they got captured by the Brotherhood. He decided to stay at the Inn of the Kneeling Man, ala wiki.
Oh wow that's actually a different inn. I didn't even think to look on the wiki, "inn at the crossroads" was also where tywin made his camp, missed that one. What was he commemorating the place his son was kidnapped?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I believe he enacted some good old Tywinian justice at that Inn, hanging the innkeep for daring to not get gutted by all the people with swords arresting Tyrion.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Preston's dumbest thing is assuming that GRRM's previous works have any implications for ASOIAF at all, like its doing a disservice to any author to act like any of their stories can't stand alone and there just HAVE to be hidden connections!

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
When an author deals with similar themes and plots in different works he obviously does so intentionally, GRRM even reuses names and plot devices from his earlier works in ASOIAF, it's not like Preston is trying to make connections where they don't exist, it's all GRRM's doing.

Whether GRRM is playing the similarities merely as easter eggs or as something more meaningful is a different question. My opinion is that he's obviously drawing on the same themes and concepts for a reason, whether it is to subvert his own tropes or to retell them in a different setting remains to be seen.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

my bony fealty posted:

Preston's dumbest thing is assuming that GRRM's previous works have any implications for ASOIAF at all, like its doing a disservice to any author to act like any of their stories can't stand alone and there just HAVE to be hidden connections!

It's actually cool and good to point out that literally every single time someone in his stories claims to be doing magic they are just using technology and being a charlatan. And every single time he does time travel only consciousness can travel back in time. And every time he does a race of individuals coming against a collective consciousness the individuals get sent psychic dreams under the illusion of false prophecy to specifically gently caress them up. It's cool to think you got some multiple choice gently caress ups coming down the pipe.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
It's not magic; it's telepathy, telekinesis, or some combination of both. Which isn't magic for, uh, reasons.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

The Little Kielbasa posted:

It's not magic; it's telepathy, telekinesis, or some combination of both. Which isn't magic for, uh, reasons.

It's Teke. Teke is different because it's spelled with 4 letters instead of 5 and the letters are all different.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Boy do I feel stupid now.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I like knowing that in his sci fi series, every single magician is actually a fraud with a space ship that can't fly but can do "magic" for them.

And I hope, and pray, that while yes, the alchemists, and the pyromancers, and the red priestess, and the house of the undying, while they are all charlatans before the dragons came, that the "wow magic is coming back" is true, that awful terrible low fantasy blood magic is working again.

hosed up magic that no sane person would consider "Worth it" owns. Burn a princely dick up in a fire to dial up hosed up demon on dickskype, ask him what he ate for dinner and what heck is like.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
What's with this preston-phobia. Preston isn't saying it isn't magic, he says that in GRRM's sci-fi stories telepathy and telekinesis are presented as genetic mutations that are Seriously Not Magical In Origin.

It's like, X-men, obviously the mutant powers are for all intents and purposes magical but if you suddenly got a wizard in the story casting spells and summoning forest trolls it would still be out of left field. Preston is (repeatedly) stipulating that ASOIAF magic has a certain logic to it, and again, this isn't something that Preston is just pulling out of his rear end, we have certain examples of Things That Appear To Be Magical turning out to be telepathic illusions.

You lay off of Preston, all of you.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Krinkle posted:

It's actually cool and good to point out that literally every single time someone in his stories claims to be doing magic they are just using technology and being a charlatan. And every single time he does time travel only consciousness can travel back in time. And every time he does a race of individuals coming against a collective consciousness the individuals get sent psychic dreams under the illusion of false prophecy to specifically gently caress them up. It's cool to think you got some multiple choice gently caress ups coming down the pipe.

Eh yeah ok you're right, and I would be plenty happy if it turns out the crypto sci-fi theory is right, but I want to give GRRM more credit than that and think that maybe he's *not* doing those in ASOIAF because he's trying something new? Maybe I should know better than that by now :x

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

my bony fealty posted:

Eh yeah ok you're right, and I would be plenty happy if it turns out the crypto sci-fi theory is right, but I want to give GRRM more credit than that and think that maybe he's *not* doing those in ASOIAF because he's trying something new? Maybe I should know better than that by now :x

He's outright stated that Westeros's seasons have fantasy explanations, not sci-fi explanations. It is fantasy.

http://asoiafuniversity.tumblr.com/post/108850447935/things-grrm-has-said-about-the-seasons-of-the

George R R Martin posted:

“Nice try, guys, but you’re thinking in the wrong direction.” This is a fantasy series. I am going to explain it all eventually, but it’s going to be a fantasy explanation.

But that's one of GRRM's clever misdirects! Classic GRRM!

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 20, 2016

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Yeah. Keep flapping your queso hole, Gorge. The height of the wall, the age of the Stark kids, supervillain Darkstar, etc? GURM probably gave as much thought about the reasons for the seasons

Ho ho ho, Absolute Fucker.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It's like, X-men, obviously the mutant powers are for all intents and purposes magical but if you suddenly got a wizard in the story casting spells and summoning forest trolls it would still be out of left field.

You mean like a race of mini dryads creating a race of ice monsters?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

MrSlam posted:

But that's one of GRRM's clever misdirects! Classic GRRM!

I'll say! That implies he's going to write something. That sneaky bastard!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I got a good feeling about the book coming out next year.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

I feel confident that a book will be released next year.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

You didn't hear? It's out next month.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Every time someone fools me I get excited to be fooled. Oh boy I can't wait to see what side project I don't care about it is?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Krinkle posted:

Every time someone fools me I get excited to be fooled. Oh boy I can't wait to see what side project I don't care about it is?

this

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Krinkle posted:

haha same

though I get disappointed everytime it isn't some lovely GoT's novellization merch

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hogge Wild posted:

haha same

though I get disappointed everytime it isn't some lovely GoT's novellization merch

you clearly didn't see: http://grrm.livejournal.com/493030.html !!!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Someday it's going to be either GRRM has died, or the book is out, and we gotta get our misleading URL headlines ready. Gotta be read either way.
The wait is ogre (maybe shrek four will be out by now?)

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Is it out yet?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Out of style to be waiting for it. Yes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ginette Reno posted:

Is it out yet?

The Winds of Winter was exclusively released on HBO.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Is there a thread for r scott Bakker books? I've moved on to a superior series with more rape per page (rpp).

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

various cheeses posted:

Is there a thread for r scott Bakker books? I've moved on to a superior series with more rape per page (rpp).

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758722&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

and

http://www.second-apocalypse.com/

What book are you on ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Thank you my man.

I'm a few chapters into the latest book. Just got past the non-consensual buggery mentioned earlier.