Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

AFK Werewolf posted:

The clear coat I'm using made some of my panel lines run, does this happen often? Using Citadel Purity Coat that a friend gave to me for free. It even made a dry decal run, which actually looked kinda cool, but the panel lines make me kind of confused. All sprayed from the same distances and angels, no wind, just kind of cold outside, no humidity.

Used gundam fine point black, and did the panel lining about three weeks ago, so what did I do wrong?

When using the same kinds of paints you need to be very careful, as the topcoat can activate the undercoats/line washes and make them mobile again. This is why mil modelers always do alternating paints (ie oil based on top of water based). Unless your paints cure really hard (Tamiya acrylics) you will struggle to keep everything where you want it.

From a quick google, it looks like there are lots of things that can go wrong with Purity coat, so best to just stick to future, and if you want it matted out, just add some matt base to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I really like the polycap material Koto use. I just finished a test-build of the 1/144 Muv Luv F-18 and all the joints are really tight, save for, as expected, the waist joint.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
So an hour ago I decided I'd try taking the Assault Shroud off my MG Duel. In the process of doing so, I accidentally launched one of the parts off into the void.

An hour of searching later and I've tipped over my Nu vKa four times (losing its v-fin jewel), FA Unicorn twice (one of the shields broke), and broke a picture frame. And I still haven't found that piece.

:suicide:

Hilariously, FA ZZ didn't even move.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Right now I really need someone to tell me that I'm not the only person who's ever had to dig through the trash for a tiny piece I threw away still attached to the runner.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I did that too once.

I didn't find it. :negative:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

You DO realize it's laughing at you right? All that making GBS threads on ZZ was gonna bite you in the rear end sooner or later. :v:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

Right now I really need someone to tell me that I'm not the only person who's ever had to dig through the trash for a tiny piece I threw away still attached to the runner.

That happened with me and a piece on the GP01 RG. My runners were in the same region as my bud who was working on the HG 00 Raiser and somehow poo poo got mixed up. I have lost the thumb to my Jesta Cannon's trigger hand, the thumb to my MG Astray Blue Frame, and my HG Zeta's V fin.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

boom boom boom posted:

I just did that with my rg RX. Some part I had to take out of like the foot or arm ended up being the part that attaches the shield to the arm.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Losing pieces is my loving Achilles heal when it comes to gunpla. I don't even want to think about how many gunpla I hosed up because of my disorganization :smith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

So an hour ago I decided I'd try taking the Assault Shroud off my MG Duel. In the process of doing so, I accidentally launched one of the parts off into the void.

An hour of searching later and I've tipped over my Nu vKa four times (losing its v-fin jewel), FA Unicorn twice (one of the shields broke), and broke a picture frame. And I still haven't found that piece.

:suicide:

At home we call those "Jesus clips". Something small and important pings off into the ether, you scream "JESUS!" in frustration and it's never seen again.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I've found rogue parts in my shoes, in my pockets and down my pants.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Yup, I've lost a piece on almost every kit I've built thusfar. Thankfully, the most crucial piece I ever lost was a skirt armor piece for my GM, which was cosmetic (but pissed me off to look at) and I found it something nuts like six months later on the floor somewhere.

Building that H-Hangar, I lost one of the piston inner pieces, so I didn't have enough to make the cool double-jointed robotic arm that was my favorite part of the kit. I looked forever, gave up, went to sleep, woke up, looked more, didn't find it. Then I clipped off a piece of the tree's siding and it fit perfectly, even had the exactly right-sized nub on the side so that it could extend but wouldn't slide out.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

You DO realize it's laughing at you right? All that making GBS threads on ZZ was gonna bite you in the rear end sooner or later. :v:

Uhhh I'm glad it didn't move though? Hell it didn't even drop its beam saber, which is a huge pain to make it hold.

EDIT: Shortly after making this post I found both missing pieces. :toot:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 27, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Is there a more specific release date for the RG Exia and HG Crossbone Maoh other than just "April" listed anywhere, or is just one of those "strike a match, ring the bell, sacrifice a goat and hope today the Bandai execs release the kit" things?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
It's more or less the latter. Both HLJ and GundamGuy list it as "April" with no specific day.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I just assume when the just the month is listed like for Exia RG that it'll release on the last day of the month :v: That way I'm not dissapointed if it doesn't release until then.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

It's more or less the latter. Both HLJ and GundamGuy list it as "April" with no specific day.

drat. Though considering they're at the stage of showing the Exia with all the stickers and box, hopefully it's not all that far off.

edit: Had a look at some of the other releases on GundamGuy and most of the recent stuff tended to come out right around the time they had the box pictures up, so maybe if we're all really lucky the thing will release on April 1st or shortly after. :pray:

Ignimbrite posted:

I just assume when the just the month is listed like for Exia RG that it'll release on the last day of the month :v: That way I'm not dissapointed if it doesn't release until then.

It's certainly the case for the new HG Strike Rouge :v:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Mar 27, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Bandai doesn't release dates until the month starts. Once it's April, just go here.

RG Exia's release date (4/26) has been all over the promotional material lately so dunno how you missed it though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Bandai doesn't release dates until the month starts. Once it's April, just go here.

RG Exia's release date (4/26) has been all over the promotional material lately so dunno how you missed it though.

Shows what I know then. At least it seems I wasn't the only one that missed it this time :doh:. Also; why is it whoever designed the Zaku Amazing (and, I assume, the standard Zaku leg) seems to hate fun posing? The thigh joint only rotates about 45 degrees either way, and you'll never bring the feet together with the ZA's ankle clamps. It's a nice solid little kit, but you'd truly have to be a Meijin just to make the thing walk with it's legs permanently spread apart like that. Probably going to grab an AB2 for it.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Shows what I know then. At least it seems I wasn't the only one that missed it this time :doh:. Also; why is it whoever designed the Zaku Amazing (and, I assume, the standard Zaku leg) seems to hate fun posing? The thigh joint only rotates about 45 degrees either way, and you'll never bring the feet together with the ZA's ankle clamps. It's a nice solid little kit, but you'd truly have to be a Meijin just to make the thing walk with it's legs permanently spread apart like that. Probably going to grab an AB2 for it.

Actually I don't think they ever show the Zaku Amazing walking during Build Fighters, it's either zipping around on boosters or flying in space.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I found the best Neo Zeong so far:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
So I made this thing. Some of the airbrush shading is pretty sloppy ( and the wash on the gun backfired) but happy with it for a first time kit that j painted in an hour or so.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

PaintVagrant posted:

So I made this thing. Some of the airbrush shading is pretty sloppy ( and the wash on the gun backfired) but happy with it for a first time kit that j painted in an hour or so.

Oh my God, it's so adorably tiny and tubby. :3:

Also, for the guy who did the MG Unicorn with the silver backing on the psychoframe: What did you use for the backing? I've never done any hand painting in my life, so I'm curious on how you went about it.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander

S-Alpha posted:

Oh my God, it's so adorably tiny and tubby. :3:

Also, for the guy who did the MG Unicorn with the silver backing on the psychoframe: What did you use for the backing? I've never done any hand painting in my life, so I'm curious on how you went about it.

I'm curious about this as well, as I'm trying to find a way to make Banshee shimmer!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
My Star Build Strike arrived early! I've got my X-Acto and my work station set up, but I'm still waiting on the flush cutters and the sandpaper (which probably won't be here until Monday). It is so very, very tempting to just get to it now, at least on cutting off some runners and messing around with what does and doesn't work.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

S-Alpha posted:

slightpirate posted:

I'm curious about this as well, as I'm trying to find a way to make Banshee shimmer!

If you don't want to deal with the hassles of thinning paint, just grab some Testor's metallic silver. That stuff is practically pre-thinned for you, just brush it straight on to the back. Be sure to do it in a well-ventilated area though, enamels reek.

The Leper Colon V posted:

My Star Build Strike arrived early! I've got my X-Acto and my work station set up, but I'm still waiting on the flush cutters and the sandpaper (which probably won't be here until Monday). It is so very, very tempting to just get to it now, at least on cutting off some runners and messing around with what does and doesn't work.

If you have some sort of lining tool, you could always just line the parts while they're on the runners.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

BlitzBlast posted:

If you have some sort of lining tool, you could always just line the parts while they're on the runners.
That's not a terrible idea, though the only pencils I've been able to find were 0.5. :saddowns: Gonna try to hit up an art supply store in town on Monday.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Look what finally turned up after like a week stuck in customs.

Seriously never paying for EMS again, it was only a tiny bit cheaper than FedEx and took almost as long as SAL.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I don't think I wanna pay out the 10-15 bucks people are asking for LED drives, but I've heard the RX-78 3.0 eyes look kinda bad without it. If I build the kit and judge for myself, will it be a pain/risk breaking something if I decide to disassemble it and swap the LED in later? Or is it as easy as popping the head out?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's as easy as popping the head out. Though you could just paint the eyes or use the provided sticker and it'd look fine even without the LED.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I've still got some time before "Project: Wing Raiser Zero" shows up in the mail, so here's a new build: MG Tallgeese III.

This beam cannon is huge. I'm probably going to have to future the gently caress out of TGIII's right arm for him to keep it held up.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
These shoulders are killing me. I'm never going to get them quite even at this rate, and one of them had a plastic flaw that caused a bit of flaking. That was easy enough to take care of, and fortunately it was on a surface I was sanding anyway.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Had some free time so I grabbed some lineart of the V2 and planned out a RG color scheme of sorts.

Color contrast won't be as stark (hopefully) and there'll be red panel lines all around the hardpoints a la MG Victory on the actual thing. Then I guess I'll do a brown panel wash, not wipe off the excess, and dry brush gray all around. That's basically weathering.

EDIT: Now that I have something resembling regular free time I might actually be able to finish poo poo for once. :toot:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 29, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So you've built 1/144 kits... but have any of you ever dared to build a model-builder's room at 1/144 scale?

There was also a short note about a gundam.info poll for what people wanted for an RG kit, with the Virtue Gundam winning. I reckon it'd probably be ideal for an RG kit, just to probably be capable of managing the full Virtue/Naudleeh transformation through layered parts.

Zedd posted:

I found the best Neo Zeong so far:

Some lucky piece of poo poo always gets an early release for free, just because they have relatives working in the industry :argh:.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

This video is pretty dumb, but it got a chuckle out of me. Also some people have way too much time on their hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyrnInsR_ok

^^ that diorama is great.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Monaghan posted:

This video is pretty dumb, but it got a chuckle out of me. Also some people have way too much time on their hands.

Jesus christ. Four-and-a-half minutes of stop-motion, with about a dozen gunpla kits, would take a couple of months to do if it's just one guy. That's some insane dedication.

Just to give you an idea: Assuming they're shot at 24fps you're looking in the ballpark of about 6,150 frames posed and shot individually.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Monaghan posted:

I think Acguy wants to get Kampfer senpai's attention.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Monaghan posted:

My brain is bleeding.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
So after watching episode six of Build Fighters with my younger sister (she was so into the Zaku Amazing fight, I feel so proud right now) I'm thinking of getting her a gunpla for her birthday. I'm not sure if I want to throw her into the deep end with a MG and I know what her current favourite gundams are, does anyone know if the HG Freedom or Justice is any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ActionZero posted:

So after watching episode six of Build Fighters with my younger sister (she was so into the Zaku Amazing fight, I feel so proud right now) I'm thinking of getting her a gunpla for her birthday. I'm not sure if I want to throw her into the deep end with a MG and I know what her current favourite gundams are, does anyone know if the HG Freedom or Justice is any good?

HG Freedom fits together OK but the proportions are really really bad. If she wouldn't care about that, then she'll probably be fine with the HG Freedom.

• Locked thread