Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Tae posted:

Well, Nier got a sequel so it seems that won't be an issue.

a Platinum Games sequel, never forget that key detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Onmi posted:

Getting a Yoko Taro game that's actually good... it feels like I'm living in some kind of dream world. Nothing makes sense anymore.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

We're a couple of days out from it actually being announced and I still can't believe it. What a great thing. :allears:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Aurain posted:

He's rumoured to be the man who keeps enabling Yoko Taro, so I am extremely sad to see him go.

From what I understand, Wada is still really good friends with the current CEO so hopefully that means he can keep Taro Yoko around because that man is a beautiful, hosed up treasure. :allears:

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Cloche posted:

I feel like Nomura's worst Final Fantasy design is often overlooked because of the long shadow cast by Dirge of Cerberus.

This dude owns. Even Shalua and DARKNESS guy (the two most extreme examples that leap to mind) have okay elements when you take them in isolation - the labcoat, the bodysuit, whatever. There isn't anything about Nooj that's remotely acceptable.

His Fiend arena fight is unacceptable :mad:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
ROBERTO. FERRARI. Tell me that doesn't sound like a JRPG name.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Failboattootoot posted:

Wada is a hard man to judge since he nearly ran the company into the ground but then immediately made some really unexpected business decisions that turned things around. I personally will always like him since I like the ff13 trilogy, the Eidos games, and the ff14 remake.

Yes, it was quite a risky move to reboot FFXIV with A Realm Reborn. The game had hundreds of people working on it, including top talent who made FFXII/Tactics Ogre. This was done in an environment where subscription MMORPGs, including World of Warcraft, were stagnating and many publishers were moving onto a F2P model.

Most other publishers would've seen where the wind was blowing and relaunched it as a F2P game with a much smaller development team, similar to what EA did with The Old Republic. I think people will always wonder want games were axed (Tactics Ogre sequel?) to give more resources to the reboot but A Realm Reborn was an unprecedented relaunch of a failed MMORPG.

Gologle posted:

It's not too uncommon of an Italian name. I've actually met two guys with the same name.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Sunning posted:

I think people will always wonder want games were axed (Tactics Ogre sequel?)

Don't say these words, Sunning. True or false, my heart can't take them.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Gologle posted:

No it sounds italian.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Gologle posted:

Ferrari means blacksmith, it's a pretty common surname.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Are you telling me that the name of one of the most well-known sports cars, practically a byword for exciting financial excess, is actually the equivalent of the English name "Smith"?

I'm having some severe cognitive dissonance here

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Failboattootoot posted:

Wada is a hard man to judge since he nearly ran the company into the ground but then immediately made some really unexpected business decisions that turned things around. I personally will always like him since I like the ff13 trilogy, the Eidos games, and the ff14 remake.

Yeah, it's hard to guage his legacy. On the one hand, you have FFXIV original flavour, and the utterly horrendous development cycle of the Fabula Nova Crystallis poo poo, and Kingdom Hearts fuckery under his watch, and on the other, like you've put, the acquisition of Eidos and related IPs, and a real phonenix from the ashes - FFXIV:ARR.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Oh yes, I'm aware that both words are common words, any idiot can tell you that, but I think that it's a cool name. I want more people in my life named that.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-e3-2015-interview-final-fantasy-7-exclusivity/1100-6428295/

I don't know if this really actually matters, but considering sony are very happing to shout from the rooftops that a game is PC/PS4, the non-commital response here is fun.

quote:

Another big E3 reveal for you was the HD Final Fantasy 7 Remake, which was a huge crowd pleaser. How long does the timed exclusivity deal last?

We don't have anything to say about that at this point in time.

I understand. I remember when Microsoft announced the Rise of the Tomb Raider exclusivity deal, and Phil Spencer was engulfed by the press who were asking him how long the exclusivity lasted. I feel this issue deserves the same scrutiny.

Yes, but that whole thing was very ambiguous.

Yes, but this is ambiguous as well. No one knows how long Final Fantasy 7 is a timed exclusive for.

[PR spokesperson: "At this stage, we are announcing that it's coming to our platform. There's nothing else we can say, in terms of exclusivity."]

But that is ambiguous. People who want to buy this game don't know how long it will remain as a PlayStation 4 exclusive.

[PR spokesperson: "At this stage, we are just saying announcing the title, so it's very common, especially at this stage, to say it's coming and that it's coming to our platform.]

Ryan: What we're not doing is saying it's an outright exclusive, which I think is a subtle difference [compared] to what happened last year.

The development of FF7R is going to be far more fun than the game itself.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

FAROOQ posted:

The development of FF7R is going to be far more fun than the game itself.

wrong

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

CeallaSo posted:

Don't say these words, Sunning. True or false, my heart can't take them.

We'll never know if there was even a preliminary discussion of a sequel to begin with but any possibility of a sequel ended when Tactics Ogre's lead staff moved on to help 'all hands on deck' effort for FFXIV 2.0. At the time, the director of Tactics Ogre PSP went onto work as the lead UI designer of FFXIV 2.0 during the big staff reshuffling. Likewise, Akihiko Yoshida became the lead artist on the reboot. These staff changes happened a about month after Tactics Ogre shipped in Japan. Much of the core Tactics Ogre team has since gone onto join other companies or become freelancers. Even some of the lesser known staff that worked on the game have left Square-Enix to work with the former creative leads on their projects, such as Crimson Shroud.

Similarly, much of the staff that worked on Chrono Cross and Xenogears went to work on FFXI and Playonline or left the company entirely. Oh well, I've seen a lot of my favorites series stuck in IP hell or mothballed by the publisher. Maybe we'll see Tactics Ogre revived as a mobile IP or a spiritual successor on Kickstarter? I wouldn't mind if it's done in the vein of Terra Battle. It seems Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians by Playdek is the closest we'll get to a Tactics Ogre staff reunion.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Yeah, it's hard to guage his legacy. On the one hand, you have FFXIV original flavour, and the utterly horrendous development cycle of the Fabula Nova Crystallis poo poo, and Kingdom Hearts fuckery under his watch, and on the other, like you've put, the acquisition of Eidos and related IPs, and a real phonenix from the ashes - FFXIV:ARR.

It's usually the case that the CEO of a videogame company gets criticized for pushing for shorter development cycles and more creative constraints on the developer. In Wada's case, you had a CEO who for the most part gave his development teams a tremendous amount of time, money, and creative freedom. It was the development staff that pushed for initiatives such as the ambitious Fabula Nova Crystallis concept and the development of in-house Crystal Tools engine. Wada gave his developers a lot of rope but they ended up hanging themselves with it.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

The development of the game can involve nuclear holocaust and it'd be better than ff7.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Failboattootoot posted:

This is pretty much how I feel about him. It is bitter sweet. People who make long term high impact plans have the power to make some big mistakes but they are not incapable of learning from their mistakes and getting back up on their feet. Same goes for other members of SE's old guard such as Nomura who has a quite a stellar past but also one which has been plagued with some large failures. People learn, adapt, and are capable of doing great things all over again even if it takes long time to recover. Nothing to do but wait and see how things pan out.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

FAROOQ posted:

The development of the game can involve nuclear holocaust and it'd be better than ff7.

Your posts are a nuclear holocaust.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Beef Waifu posted:

Your posts are a nuclear holocaust.

I get you

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Onmi posted:

Lmao what

I stopped believing it when people say "Platinum doing X" because it's basically the dream scenario but drat

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Lmao what

I stopped believing it when people say "Platinum doing X" because it's basically the dream scenario but drat

Platinum is doing like 50 games, including Transformers, Starfox, and Scalebound.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm just worried Platinum is spreading themselves a little thin, they've got like four games in production at the moment. On the other hand no-one has actually heard anything of Scalebound recently and MS doesn't have a good track record with the stuff that was announced at last years E3. :v:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Cautiously optimistic about FF7, World of FF looks neat, Deus Ex looks great, games are great. Great e3. Every Final Fantasy is the best game in the series this week.

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm just worried Platinum is spreading themselves a little thin, they've got like four games in production at the moment. On the other hand no-one has actually heard anything of Scalebound recently and MS doesn't have a good track record with the stuff that was announced at last years E3. :v:

RIP Phantom Dust. That whole debacle was pretty terrible.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

NikkolasKing posted:

I've always liked Seifer's design.

Alot of FF8's designs were also pretty good. Squall also had a rad jacket.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FAROOQ posted:

Technically the development of every game coming from Japan has involved nuclear holocaust in some small way.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

Alot of FF8's designs were also pretty good. Squall also had a rad jacket.

When I was like 10 I thought Zell was by far the coolest character in the game which is terrifying

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Help Im Alive posted:

When I was like 10 I thought Zell was by far the coolest character in the game which is terrifying

The truly terrifying part is that you weren't wrong. He's hyper and kinda dumb, but he's the least offensive character in that entire game, barring Laguna & Co.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zell being a 10 year old's idea of cool make a lot of sense actually.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Sakurazuka posted:

Platinum is pretty big for an independent Japanese developer. In addition, they work with a lot of Japanese outsourcing studios, such as Bee Tribe and Hexadrive, in handling the workload for their games. In the credit section of their games, you can find which companies they are working with.

In Japan, it's common for Japanese developers working on mid-size and AAA projects to outsource significant portions of development to outsourcing houses. Many of these studios tend to specialize in a particular discipline, such as art, sound design, programming, or debugging. In some cases, these outsourcing companies will have people work on-site as a temporary employee for clients. These temporary employees usually get credited under the outsource company's name rather than their individual name but have an opportunity to gain full-time employment with their client.

It's good that Platinum is consistently finding work with different publishers. For a mid-sized developer that doesn't publish their own games, they constantly need work coming into the company in order to keep their lights on. One of the reasons we saw many closures and buyouts of independent studios in both Japan and the rest of the world over the last generation is that their existence is dependent publishers for funding. Most of them were not in a position to receive significant royalties that could help them float in between contracts. So losing a publishing contract without a backup can led to significant layoffs if not the closure of the company since it can take the better part of a year to secure a new publishing deal. When the financial crisis happened and publishers culled their lineups, a lot of developers felt the hit.

Scalebound skipped e3 along with Quantum Break and Crackdown and will be shown at Gamescom.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Sakurazuka posted:

Zell being a 10 year old's idea of cool make a lot of sense actually.

He does flips and punches people and rides a hoverboard in jorts, I'm sure they did it on purpose.

The SeeD uniforms were actually pretty cool, it's a shame you only wear them once in the entire game

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Do you mean the actual SeeD uniform that you only wear to the celebration party or the normal Balamb outfit you wear when you do the SeeD Exam at Dollet?

I always liked the normal Balamb outfit. Also like the fact Seifer didn't even bother wearing one.

I wonder what Seifer's score was for Conduct, Judgment, Attitude, etc.?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Zell actually IS the best character in FF8. Too bad that isn't saying much.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Whoever decided Zell was maybe really too into hot dogs was the bright light on that team.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

The White Dragon posted:

The truly terrifying part is that you weren't wrong. He's hyper and kinda dumb, but he's the least offensive character in that entire game, barring Laguna & Co.

I don't know if I'd call any of the characters in FFVIII "offensive"

More like "forgettable"

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

DaveWoo posted:

More like "forgettable"

Aggressively forgettable. I was quite taken aback last weekend when I spied in the kitchen at a small family-owned Japanese restaurant a waifu shrine to Rinoa presumably setup by the owner's daughter. I had to google the character's name to make this post, Jesus.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

FAUXTON posted:

Technically the development of every game coming from Japan has involved nuclear holocaust in some small way.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

They were offensively forgettable. I maintain FFVIII has by far the worst party in FF history. There is no justification for everyone being useless, irrelevant and two-dimensional. You can't even argue they exist to give the gameplay some diversity because everyone plays exactly the same. If you have six party members and only 2 of them have any real character, I can maybe forgive you if the other four exist to give you some different options for battles. But nope, Zell, Irvine, Quistis and Selphie are just there because......

You really could just make the game about Squall and Rinoa and drop the others and nothing would change. Hell, have the Missile Base Team actually die. That be interesting.

I recently had a whole argument with a friend of mine about which was worse, FFVIII or FFXIII. My position was that FFVIII's cookie cutter characters were insulting while FFXIII gave at least some focus to the entire cast. His counterargument was that FFVIII wasn't trying to develop the entire party and that it was really Squall's story, thus the fact Irvine and the others were bland as gently caress didn't really matter. Whereas FFXIII's characters were so badly developed that it made you yearn for FFVIII's lack of character development.

He also said Snow's and Hope's subplot was ripped straight from something else where it was done a lot better. Persona 3 maybe? I can't remember. I didn't know what he was citing.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 19, 2015

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

DaveWoo posted:

More like "forgettable"

Shouldn't've used those GF's so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Even if the game is an unmitigated disaster it will be fun to watch the car crash

and then cry myself to sleep

FAUXTON posted:

:vince: