Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I still annoyed 15 years later that there’s no unique Riot Shotgun. I like to be decked out in all the bespoke super items so I feel special. It’s disheartening to be firing the Shadow of the Lord of the Apocalypse and then have to switch to standard gun to deal with a charging deathclaw. Not even Gun Runners Arsenal added one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Chamale posted:

Completing it in the early game is pretty impressive, what level were you? I've made some characters who go there early for the Riot Shotgun, but I try to be level 8 at minimum for the Super Slam perk.
Went in at level 6! I mostly wanted the All-American, as it's probably the best weapon I'll get in the entire run (unless I decide to pop up to Honest Hearts and grab A Light Shining In Darkness).

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

SpaceDrake posted:

It just hit me that the SFCK isn't out yet, is it. Months late.

lol they really are just going to outright abandon it and Microsoft is going to shutter loving Bethesda, aren't they.

Starfield came out 8 months ago.
For reference, 8 months after Skyrim came out, Bethesda had released the Creation Kit, Dawnguard AND Hearthfire for it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

star Failure lmao

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Holy poo poo, this ending narration for Old World Blues is loving long. Whole thing sorta fell flat for me, but this death march sucks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Holy poo poo, this ending narration for Old World Blues is loving long. Whole thing sorta fell flat for me, but this death march sucks.

There's cut slides for it that it was supposed to be even longer originally.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Doing the add-on Lonesome Road for the first time and holy poo poo is ED-E annoying for a stealth character.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Game is amazing I've finished Lonesome Road and can now give my opinion that overall the DLC is mid. Makes sense given how great the base game is itself.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Doing Lonesome Road on Hardcore is funny, because you find a crate full of MRE’s right off the bat and they are like, the greatest food item in the history of the Mojave apparently.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Lonesome road is actually really handy to raid early. You can raid the silo without fighting anything for some decent profit, and while killing the robots in the silo and the first area's marked men is hard, it's definitely doable. If you do that you can make a ton of money and get some really good gear right off the bat.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

Lonesome road is actually really handy to raid early.

Yeah, as it's the only DLC you can leave at any time it's good for that. Just go a bit in, collect some good loot and then come back later.

Fallout 4's DLC you could leave at any time, but as far as I can remember you couldn't in any of Fallout 3's. Maybe point lockout? I can't remember if you can get a boat ride back whenever, I think maybe you can if you pay the boat fee?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Doing Lonesome Road on Hardcore is funny, because you find a crate full of MRE’s right off the bat and they are like, the greatest food item in the history of the Mojave apparently.

Courier: "Nice hiss!"

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Also, just to be sure: even in TYOOL 2024, there is no way to input "nonstandard" ASCII characters into names in New Vegas? You can't have player character names with acutes or whatever?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
e: nvm im an idiot

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

SpaceDrake posted:

Also, just to be sure: even in TYOOL 2024, there is no way to input "nonstandard" ASCII characters into names in New Vegas? You can't have player character names with acutes or whatever?

It's realistic. I mean, using weird non-American letters is surely Communist.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

dr_rat posted:

Maybe point lockout? I can't remember if you can get a boat ride back whenever, I think maybe you can if you pay the boat fee?

Something like 300-400 caps a time, which can be prohibitive at times so you're likely to just stay in Point Lookout until you've done the main quest and then it becomes free to come to and go.

The Pitt you're locked in until you complete the main quest, Mothership Zeta and Operation Anchorage, too.

Just grabbing all the most valuable junk/weapons you can get your mitts on, and shoving it - plus the nail gun, arc-wielder and other stuff you can find nearby - into the Commissary Terminal to get the Riot Gear is a decent strategy for some great 'early game' armour.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Man, that fallout 4 person could have really used that nail gun with all the settlement building stuff they do. Would've saved them so much time to not look for the son with.

Edit: Thinking about it, it does seem a bit odd that so much of fallout 3 and NV DLC was DLC that locked you in it, when both of the main games usually gave you plenty of opportunities to just walk away from quests and what not when ever you please other than at a few points.

New Vegas I can only really think of when you're exploring vaults, and the end with hover dam.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 13, 2024

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Suddenly got a bit of an itch to revisit NV and possibly 4 - for each of those does anyone have a good baseline mod list for as good a mostly stock experience as can be had? I can go pretty hog wild with the graphics stuff.

edit: bleh, I guess I need to buy a bunch of F4 DLC before I can install the unoffical patch? Bummer. Guess that will wait for a sale.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 13, 2024

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

dr_rat posted:

Man, that fallout 4 person could have really used that nail gun with all the settlement building stuff they do. Would've saved them so much time to not look for the son with.

A recent creation club adds them as a weapon, unfortunately CC is dogshit at introducing new weapon types, (it seems they just don't show up at vendors until you complete a quest) putting new ammo types into loot lists and tweaking the weapons so they fit in nicely with what you already have available to you - most of the time there's something vanilla available to you at your level that's straight up better.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Mozi posted:

Suddenly got a bit of an itch to revisit NV and possibly 4 - for each of those does anyone have a good baseline mod list for as good a mostly stock experience as can be had? I can go pretty hog wild with the graphics stuff.

edit: bleh, I guess I need to buy a bunch of F4 DLC before I can install the unoffical patch? Bummer. Guess that will wait for a sale.

Google Viva new Vegas for nv and midnight ride for fo4, they are curated lists of stable recommended mods for each. Both are largely fix lists not content so sounds like exactly what you are looking for.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The Midnight Ride has been discontinued, IIRC.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Says who? I looked at it like 2 days ago, it last updated 5/6: https://themidnightride.moddinglinked.com/intro.html

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
It's Dragonborn's Fate for Skyrim that seemingly got the chop recently, due to a recent update to Skyrim, A 12 Year Old Game, breaking every backbone mod known to man. (I suspect the recent HD patch also caused issues for Midnight Ride, so read carefully.)

New Vegas not getting updates after 2012 or so ironically probably helped it a lot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEM5wbGF8Dg

Working as intended.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

SpaceDrake posted:

It's Dragonborn's Fate for Skyrim that seemingly got the chop recently, due to a recent update to Skyrim, A 12 Year Old Game, breaking every backbone mod known to man. (I suspect the recent HD patch also caused issues for Midnight Ride, so read carefully.)

New Vegas not getting updates after 2012 or so ironically probably helped it a lot.

Yeah the guide is currently updated for the update (which at this point means a downgrader and some of the older version of mods being used)

I suspect this will be resolved soon whenever sCRIPT EXTENDER gets updated, but if you lock down what mods you want up front and don’t plan to muck around further it’ll be fine.

On the one hand not having this update as a separate special edition like Skyrim means you can’t just go to the non-SE version, but then not forking maybe makes getting things updated more of a priority for the fan developers.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm going into Old World Blues with 2,000 overcharged microfusion cells, 50 Stimpaks, and 20 Weapon Repair Kits for my tri-beam laser rifle. Let's see what runs out first.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Chamale posted:

I'm going into Old World Blues with 2,000 overcharged microfusion cells, 50 Stimpaks, and 20 Weapon Repair Kits for my tri-beam laser rifle. Let's see what runs out first.

hope you like standing on a rock and pumping all 2000 MFCs into the first robot scorpion pack

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Overcharge/Max charge should do well against them, it’s their armor that makes them such bullet sponges.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/goonisnthere/status/1790124416526958730?t=8rJGkqn5uzPed99-2d2IpQ&s=19

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Unless you're doing a gimmick thing just use the Sonic Emitter. I remember the Opera Singer instantly exploding scorpions with a high luck build.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Just use that proton axe or whatever like god intended. You don’t even need melee tagged

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Use the goddamn booping stick (the antenna emitter).

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

hawowanlawow posted:

hope you like standing on a rock and pumping all 2000 MFCs into the first robot scorpion pack

I was pleasantly surprised that I got through the whole DLC with hundreds of MFCs left. The tri-beam with all the GRA upgrades is stupid powerful. Next I went through Lonesome Road, accidentally made Ulysses mad by clicking through dialogue too fast, and then vapourized him before he could even get off his little stage.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Chamale posted:

I was pleasantly surprised that I got through the whole DLC with hundreds of MFCs left. The tri-beam with all the GRA upgrades is stupid powerful. Next I went through Lonesome Road, accidentally made Ulysses mad by clicking through dialogue too fast, and then vapourized him before he could even get off his little stage.

lol nice

Ulysses ftl

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Ulosses

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I remember when we implemented Greased Lightning one of the animators kind of made a frowny face and said, "That just looks silly," and I said, "Hell yeah!!!!"

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

It honestly fit considering what the baseline Fallout 3 animations are like. What I always found jarring was the animations for Geckos, Mantises, and Cazadors, not in that they're animated badly, but in the fact their animations are mark improvement compared how other animals/wild-life are animated.

You can tell someone put a lot love and work into those.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe I'm just blind but I feel like the running animation for the player and NPCs looks better in 3 while in New Vegas everyone sort of has this "loping" gait.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
All animations in the Bethesda engine look really weird to me. They did eventually clean up the faces a bit, so long as you don't customize yourself into a monster.

Replaying Fallout 4 for the first time. It's a weird contrast to New Vegas because it feels just so full of stuff and so empty at the same time. Missions and things to explore come at you at an uncomfortable rate but none of it feels like it really matters unless you grab a bobblehead or a magazine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Maybe I'm just blind but I feel like the running animation for the player and NPCs looks better in 3 while in New Vegas everyone sort of has this "loping" gait.

From my understanding, that because Fallout 3 has 8 direction the legs would move based on the direction the player was moving, New Vegas still has those animation, but they're locked to 4 direction only for some reason.