Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013
It is hard to tell with this face on camera angle but it looks like you rip the club pretty far inside on the way back. This results in a very flat takeaway. Which then makes it difficult to swing down the line because the club is so far behind.

I would concentrate on a better takeaway and go from there.

You probably look like the right picture down the line on the backswing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Got out around lunch yesterday with my brother. Amazingly enough it wasn't nearly as hot as we thought it would be, no humidity so it was just a dry heat.

Had 3 or 4 birdie putts that burned the lip that I should have had. Didn't use my driver all that much and just stuck to my 3 wood which I was killing. I can't remember hitting anything more than a 9 iron into the par 4's on the ones I used 3 wood, was just mashing it down the middle yesterday.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
I had an interesting round at Shoreline Golf Links today. Here is a recap/therapy that you won't read.

Hole 1 - A par 5. Played it safe off the tee with a 6-iron. Then I hit a 3-wood from the fairway, aimed left of the fairway away from OB. The idea was that it would avoid any trouble by carrying the tree and fairway bunker, and be somewhere in the very light rough or fairway with a nice 50-60 yard shot from the green. I've hit a 4-wood like this several times. But instead, I hit a fade and it ended up in the fairway at the same distance as the tree and bunker, 90 yards out. Weird. I then hit a wedge (my irons have been a lot better lately) and missed the birdie putt.

Hole 2 - A par 4. Hit a driver, it wasn't that good but ended up in the fairway with a nice angle. Pushed the approach right. A horrible chip, a missed putt, a bogey. +1 on the front.

Hole 3 - Hit a 3-wood off the tee on a short dogleg left, sliced it considerably, but it's the right club: I was left 127 yards from the middle pin location, in the fairway. I hit a PW. It went... to the back of the green. Too far. I three putted from the fringe for another bogey. +2 on the front.

Hole 4 - A par 3. Here comes the Ernie Els moment. I hit a PW instead of my usual 9-iron. It goes straight over the flag, over the green. I chipped under the trees and it went through the front, some 15 feet from the hole. I putt from the rough, leaving myself a 6-foot curly uphiller. I miss that, then miss the comeback, then miss two tap-ins, for an eight. +7 on the front.

Hole 5 - A par 4. I hit a 3-iron off the tee (and catch it a bit thin, but it goes well enough). A wedge or 9-iron from the fairway goes straight over the pin. I chipped with a PW to about 3-4 feet and make the par.

Hole 6 - A par 4. The drive is a wild slice to the 2nd fairway. The approach is a nice eight-iron dead on the pin -- it goes over the green. A chip, a missed 6-footer, and then a missed comeback, and suddenly I have double-bogey. +9 on the front.

Hole 7 - A par 4. A decent drive at the dogleg corner left me with 125 to the green, from a nice lie in a mucky area of rough on the far side of the fairway. I forget what happened next, but somehow I got a double bogey. +11 on the front.

Hole 8 - A par 3. I miss my approach right after getting too fancy and trying to hit a PW too far. My chip, another PW chip, goes nicely, stopping at the right distance after rolling down a tier, 5-6 feet right of the hole. I miss the putt, and the comeback, for... double bogey. +13 on the front.

Hole 9 - A short dogleg par 5. I hit a 3-wood off the tee, which is the right club. I missed it a little left, leaving me 215 out, in the fairway. I hit a 3-iron approach, it carried the left front bunker and held up in the rough. A chip, a putt, and... a tap-in, and I have par.

So on the front I shot 49 (on a par 36). We joke that a 32 on the back is attainable.

Hole 10 - Another par 5. My drive is a bit snappy and low, and it's behind some trees. I hit a 2-iron through them and left myself about 117 from the flag. A 54-degree left me hole high maybe 11-13 feet away. I made the birdie putt. -1 on the back.

Hole 11 - A short par 3. It's 117 from the flag again, so I hit a 54-degree, it heads dead on the flag, but I mishit it a bit and it's about 15 feet short. I juuust miss the uphiller for birdie, and get a par.

Hole 12 - A par 4. I lay up with a nice 3-wood (instead of trying to go for the green), leaving myself about 100 out. I hit the 60-degree, and heads straight at the pin, stops 2 feet away. It's a nerve-wracking side-hill putt, especially the way I've been pushing my putts, but I make the birdie. -2 on the back.

Hole 13 - A par 4. I hit a 3-wood off the tee and sliced it miserably, ending up in a fairway bunker 167 from the hole. I hit a 7-iron a little fat and while it headed straight for the pin, it stopped short of the green, and of the bunker in front of the green. I pitch conservatively over the bunker and two-putt for bogey. -1 on the back.

Hole 14 - A par 4. My tee-shot left me 90 out from the front flag. But I skulled the wedge a bit (because I was distracted?), and the ball wound up on the back fringe with an uphill putt. I overcook it a bit but make the 15 footer coming back for par.

Hole 15 - A par 4. A very nice-looking drive left me about 90 out again. The green slopes strongly away from the player. I end up just hitting this weak-rear end wedge shot when it should have been almost a full swing. Then I do the same thing again, being too wimpy with the pitch. A horrible downhill chip and 2-putt gives me a double-bogey. +1 on the back.

Hole 16 - A par 5. Finally, I actually managed to kill a drive -- I was hitting some solid before but not getting the power or clubhead speed. A dead straight 300 yard drive on a muggy day with a moist fairway is nice to see. This one leaves me in the fairway about 185 from the middle, on some rather mucky ground. The pin's in the back, 196 away, and I'm hitting them long today. So I hit a 5-iron, which carries 15 yards over the back of the green. Sigh. My pitch is a bit short, leaving me with a makeable downhill birdie putt, but it lips out. I get par.

Hole 17 - A par 3. I hit it dead on the pin, 10 feet past. I make the birdie putt. E on the back.

Hole 18 - A par 4. OB on both sides. I hit a rather low serviceable drive into the fairway. I'm 95 yards out. If I get birdie I'll break par on 9 holes for the first time in my life. I hit a 60-degree wedge, and it hops, skips, and stops... 6 feet behind the hole. The putt looks like it has a bit of twist to it, maybe hit it smoothly 1-2 balls outside. I choked and pushed it 2 cups outside! :negative: Tap in for par.

So that's a 49 on the front and 36 on the back.

Just the other day I had to get up and down from a green-side bunker to shoot under par on nine holes. I missed the putt there, too. But I think it'll happen soon.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
Been on vacation two weeks, golfing every day until yesterday when I was lucky enough to go sailing with the uncle instead. Wake up this morning quite fuzzy realizing I had golf dreams all night... Now I need to get back out this weekend and see if the day off helped or hurt. I've been knocking on the 80s door really hard but have two 90s, a 91 a 92 and a 93 to show for it. So frustrating. My most recent 90 I laid up instead of going for the green over a ditch but I pushed my 4i lay up quite a bit and it rolled in the near right side of the ditch anyway for a penalty. I screamed bloody murder and loosed a 3w (provisional) at the hole that easily cleared the water and was an easy chip on for par. Played the penalized ball for a drop and came up with a double for 90. GOLF!!!!!!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Uh...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0fsWjqM5bo

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Was I supposed to learn something from that

edit: of course it's a golf digest production

shyduck fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 31, 2014

Sour Grapes
Dec 29, 2002

All you kids out there...

:suicide:

We were playing behind two 50-something guys more interested in drinking beer than golfing who were doing things like waiting until the group in front of them had completely cleared the green to start lining up their shots (a process in itself), stopping the beer cart every two holes and walking all over the loving place without clubs only to wait for the other guy to hit and drive the cart over then begin club selection, etc.
On 15 it almost came to blows because we hit up after they had cleared the green, not knowing that they were walking back to their cart in a blind spot in the fairway instead of on the cart path or next tee block, my brother hit one short and called fore--because he couldn't see the landing zone, not because we were expecting them to be there--but they still wanted to fight when we got up to his ball :toughguy:. After the tussle I walked to the green and sank a 15 footer though.

Sour Grapes fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 2, 2014

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
God, I'm sorry for you. I've witnessed an actual fight and nearly been a part of two others over...incompatible groups...like you're describing. drat it, people, this is golf! NOT HOCKEY!

Best friend and fellow goon EDizzy got married in Sonoma over the weekend, and we got to play golf the day before at this course called Indian Valley. Pretty neat mountain course. This is a tale of two nines.

Summary:

Hole 1: Spanked a cut up the middle, bailed out right with a hybrid to avoid a large tree in the fairway, pitched to the back fringe because I was too aggressive, had a VERY fast and tough putt down the hill that I judged the speed properly on but completely misread it, and missed my 8 footer for par.

Hole 2: I cannot explain this birdie. This hole is a par 4 with junk and trees all on the right. I tried to play another hard cut off the left, and instead I hit this monster that was actually drawing. It was deep, and it was going left and not coming back. I played a provisional and barely managed to keep this one in play, too. I hit it on to the green, attempt my putt for bogey and left it just short, and tap in for double. As I'm walking away, EDizzy asks who was playing two, since there was one 20 feet away, pin high and on the green. It was my first tee shot - Taylormade Lethal with an thick black stripe on it. Nobody in the group had hit it up, and there were no groups around to have hit it back from the jungle. It was downwind, and I'm long enough, but I'm not reaching this green in one without help. It had a tree mark on it, so I must have gotten a bounce of Tiger Woods proportions out of the trees. Anyway, I left the eagle putt one rotation short, took a birdie, and ran away. Probably not with the rules of golf, but whatever!

Hole 3: We were filming swings off this tee box, so of course I sliced one way right. Haven't seen the swing yet, but I know it was at least in balance. Then I hit this incredible escape 3 wood from 235 up hill that started under a tree then faded back to the flag. I followed this awesome shot by playing break that wasn't there and leaving myself on the wrong side of the hole. Missed the short birdie putt, left with a 3 putt par. Only par of the front 9 for me.

Hole 4: Extremely downhill par 3 with wind in our face. I hit a GW to the back of the green, then managed to chunk my first putt from almost 40 feet. Gave it a better try on the next one but still missed the hole. Second three putt in a row.

Hole 5: This hole was 261, downwind and downhill. I don't know why I didn't hit 3 wood, but I belted a driver that flew into the tree hanging over the back of the green,
and it dropped down behind the green. Hit a decent floopy pitch up that still rolled out 20 feet, then I walked it in for birdie.

Hole 6: Hit a 3i hybrid to 88 yards, then pushed a 3/4 wedge to the fringe. Hit what I thought was an okay chip, but it still released down past the hole where two other playing partners were. Nobody made the putt from here. Bogey.

Hole 7: The tee box was elevated above the beginning of the fairway which rose rose to probably 30 feet higher than the tee box at 220 yards. After that, it's back downhill to the green. I hit a perfect drive over the hill, flipped a wedge on, and made a 5 footer for birdie.

Hole 8: Thinned an 8i through this elevated green. Everyone went long, and everybody failed to get up and down. The hole was in a bit of a circus location, but I left my putt too short on the proper line, so that was my bad anyway. Bogey.

Hole 9: It said 332 to the green, and this hole was WAY downhill. There was a small pond creek at 290 and bunkers all around the green. I hit a drive on the screws, and it came down like a missile on the green. Pretty proud to have carried it all the way there to the green, even if a large part of it was the big change in elevation. My pitch mark looked like a Taco Bell taco shell. I hit a gorgeous putt from pin high 30 feet that looked so nice, I raised my putter like Nicklaus in the '86 Masters. Unfortunately, my ball caught the right lip, wobbled around the back, and stayed out. I screamed to the sky. Two putt birdie.

Even par front nine with 4 birdies, 4 bogeys, and one (three putt) par.

Back nine was a different nine.

Hole 10: Drove over the green, hit an okay pitch from the hay behind the green and two putted from 25 feet.

Hole 11: Made a nice Phil par here. I tried to shape a big draw around this huge tree in the fairway, but I hit a straight shot that wind helped push under a tree right of the fairway. I swatted a 5i off some tree roots into a greenside bunker, then I splashed out to 10 feet and made the putt.

Holes 12 - 14: Two putt pars.

Hole 15: Got too cute with a wedge up hill and into the wind, left it short. Pulled the flag and almost chipped in, but I had to settle for a par.

Hole 16: Boy this left a bad taste in my mouth. This hole was 475, and it was downwind and extremely downhill. I don't know the elevation change, but I would guess 5 stories from tee to green. The fairway bottlenecks at 300 yards, where it is flanked by two large (but young) redwoods. Both of our dads got an 75 extra yards on decent tee shots for them; they both had hybrids for shots just under 200 yards. EDizzy has got serious mental issues about hitting a driver, but he sucked it up and belted one right between the trees to 115 yards. I took aim at the left tree and decided a slight fade was the go to shot here. I absolutely obliterated my tee shot. It sounded mean, and it flew for a mile...right at the tree...and crashed into the top of it. It dropped straight down. A friend in the group behind us hit a great drive to 75 yards, and he was only 5 yards behind me for most of the day. As it stood, I had about 150, so I went with an easy PW that I wanted to bounce down and onto the green. I knifed it through, pitched to 5 feet, and played it to break off the right lip. Didn't mishit the putt at all, but it didn't move at all. Terrible par.

Hole 17: It was getting dark here. Downhill par 3, hit a gap wedge to the front right fringe (about pin high). Two putted from there for par.

They needed the carts in at 8, and it was 7:52 when we pulled up to the 18th tee box. I was pressing on the brake to stop when I noticed everybody else continuing on..down the fairway...and to the club house. :( They were okay with not playing the last hole! I wasn't, but I was the driver, so I wasn't gonna make them wait. We all took pars. I needed just one birdie to break my par streak and get under par. Oh well. Course was neat, hit the ball okay, got some bad breaks and some very good breaks.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 2, 2014

Sour Grapes
Dec 29, 2002

Eh... this one was stupid, two overweight old guys who'd been over-served in their untucked shirts and running shoes spoiling for a fight, chest bumping me and saying how they fight guys twice my size for fun :rolleyes:.

It's not like we were hitting up on them all round either, just one shot that missed them by 20 feet and was called 'fore'.

Sour Grapes fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 3, 2014

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

Kameh posted:

Hole 16: Boy this left a bad taste in my mouth. This hole was 475, and it was downwind and extremely downhill. I don't know the elevation change, but I would guess 5 stories from tee to green. The fairway bottlenecks at 300 yards, where it is flanked by two large (but young) redwoods. Both of our dads got an 75 extra yards on decent tee shots for them; they both had hybrids for shots just under 200 yards. EDizzy has got serious mental issues about hitting a driver, but he sucked it up and belted one right between the trees to 115 yards. I took aim at the left tree and decided a slight fade was the go to shot here. I absolutely obliterated my tee shot. It sounded mean, and it flew for a mile...right at the tree...and crashed into the top of it. It dropped straight down. A friend in the group behind us hit a great drive to 75 yards, and he was only 5 yards behind me for most of the day. As it stood, I had about 150, so I went with an easy PW that I wanted to bounce down and onto the green. I knifed it through, pitched to 5 feet, and played it to break off the right lip. Didn't mishit the putt at all, but it didn't move at all. Terrible par.

Heyyyy, you're in my backyard! I love Indian Valley, did you notice the tram that takes walkers from the 13th green to the 14th tee? It's pretty cool :)

Also the 16th hole has a second green on the right that's a lot more interesting to hit into, if you land on the wrong spot there can be like a 4 foot slope between you and the pin. GOOD TIMES.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kameh posted:

I cannot explain this birdie.

New thread title right here

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

UnionCarbide posted:

Heyyyy, you're in my backyard! I love Indian Valley, did you notice the tram that takes walkers from the 13th green to the 14th tee? It's pretty cool :)

Also the 16th hole has a second green on the right that's a lot more interesting to hit into, if you land on the wrong spot there can be like a 4 foot slope between you and the pin. GOOD TIMES.

Yes to both! I hit the button with the intention of riding it back down and up again, but it took forever so I only had time to send it down.

And I was wondering why a practice green was so close to the 16th. I knew 17 was a par 3, and I saw a pin just in front of a tall slope. I started drooling at the prospect of spinning a wedge off it.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Wow, they've really cleaned Indian Valley up since the mid-1990's when we played there a ton from SF (since it was one of the cheaper places us poor goons could afford and closer places like Harding/Fleming were still mudpits and overcrowded).

http://www.indianvalleygolfclub.com/tour.php

There are some of my old Top Flites on the hill I'm sure.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Tom Watson has made his Ryder Cup picks and adds Keegan Bradley (awesome), Hunter Mahan (cool) and Webb Simpson (an odd choice but apparently is fine playing with Bubba if nobody else wants to).

Teams are:

:patriot:
Bubba Watson
Rickie Fowler
Jim Furyk
Jimmy Walker (someone tell me about this guy, I know very little about him)
Lefty
Matt Kuchar
Jordan Spieth
Patrick Reed
Zach Johnson
Keegan Bradley
Hunter Mahan
Webb Simpson

:eurovision:
Rory McIlroy
Henrik Stenson
Victor Dubuisson
Jamie Donaldson
Kameh
Justin Rose
Martin Kaymer
Thomas Bjorn
Graeme McDowell
Ian Poulter (captain pick)
Stephen Gallacher (captain pick)
Lee Westwood (captain pick)

and remember...

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

DJExile posted:

Jimmy Walker (someone tell me about this guy, I know very little about him)

Jimmy Walker's 2014 Wikipedia entry

Basically, he was the Tiger Woods of the beginning of the 2014 season. He's got some other great finishes, including top 10s in 3 of the year's 4 majors (T26 in the Open). Dude hits it a mile, too.

Oh, he's also a published astrophotographer.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 3, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dig it. Go get 'em, Jimmy.

pmac
Jun 12, 2007
I played in a handicapped scramble on Monday. Gross, we were 8 under on the front and 2 under on the back. Not a good stretch on the back, lots of 15-20 footers that we couldn't make. While posting a 62 in a scramble isn't great...we got beat by 10 strokes net. Even if we took advantage of our birdie putts we would've had no chance. The event was for charity and the winners claimed plenty of it.

Very excited for the Ryder Cup. I wanted to see Kirk get the nod for winning the DB Championship. Although I just like him because my swing is similarly deliberate.

Sour Grapes
Dec 29, 2002

pmac posted:

I played in a handicapped scramble on Monday. Gross, we were 8 under on the front and 2 under on the back. Not a good stretch on the back, lots of 15-20 footers that we couldn't make. While posting a 62 in a scramble isn't great...we got beat by 10 strokes net. Even if we took advantage of our birdie putts we would've had no chance. The event was for charity and the winners claimed plenty of it.

Very excited for the Ryder Cup. I wanted to see Kirk get the nod for winning the DB Championship. Although I just like him because my swing is similarly deliberate.

Scramble tournaments are basically an excuse to cheat for a lot of people, I was at one last summer where a single foursome 'won' both long drives, both closest tos and lowest score. The only sober member of the team started turning down prizes after a while.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Some short game e/n for the thread:

Recently I've begun using the PW and 9-iron for a lot more shots. When I got my 60-degree wedge, I began using it for almost everything around the greens. The PW and 9-iron (chosen depending on the slope of ground and/or mood -- the clubs are 48- and 44-degree) are ending up a lot more consistent though. I'm just hitting them like a putter, and they're working. The biggest thing I changed from before is that I squat down a little before hitting them, doing the putter-like motion an angle, to match the lie angle of the club. I think the PW needs to be hit a bit firmer than putts and the 9-iron generally needs to be hit a bit less firmly than putts. It seems to be doing quite well for little off-the-fringe chipping, and if there's just not enough green to work with, I've been taking the same tack with the 54-degree sand wedge. I can't remember one of these shots where I didn't get up and down -- okay, now I can, there's one where I was 40 yards away and down a hill... but even then the shot was a reasonable overcooked miss.

In some cases, having it in the back of the stance and hitting down on it a little is appropriate and also works well, because I'm just thinking in terms of the power I'd put behind a putt. It might be the case that I'm translating that sense of power into "pitchingwedge-ese" and it's not really the same amount of power, but it's working.

I think before I favored the 60-degree wedge because it gave me an illusion of control.

Somehow I feel like my bunker play is getting itself together too (in the sense of getting in the general vicinity of the hole), but every time I still don't manage to make the putt.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I probably use my 58 around the green more than I should, but I've started to try the same shots with other clubs as well to try and get a better feel for them. I also just ordered a 52 degree vokey on ebay since I hate my sand wedge that came with my iron set. I have Scratch gap and lob wedges and the big fat chunky sand wedge just doesn't look right when it's next to the ball. There are two par 3s and a lot of approach shots on my home course where I've been hitting easy gap wedges instead of being able to take a full swing with a sand wedge and I've been getting poor results.

I don't think I'm going to reach my goal of 100 rounds of golf this year unless we have a freaky warm November but considering I went from ~15 rounds last year and 1-2 a year before that, playing 65ish so far this year has been pretty cool.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:
I don't think Taylormade's SLDR is selling very well, today I've gotten emails from 3 different golf shops saying that they're giving away a SLDR fairway wood or hybrid with any SLDR driver purchase.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

UnionCarbide posted:

I don't think Taylormade's SLDR is selling very well, today I've gotten emails from 3 different golf shops saying that they're giving away a SLDR fairway wood or hybrid with any SLDR driver purchase.

I think it has less to do with how well it's selling and more to do with the fact that it's been available for more than 3 weeks. Gotta make room for the next dozen drivers they have on the way, and no one is gonna buy the old stock if its the same price as THE DRIVER THAT ADDS 30 YARDS, CLEANS YOUR BALLS AND GIVES YOU AN HJ ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo

quote:

Deputies said Rich used his putter to slam Hall in the back of the legs, taking him down. The blow was so hard the head of the putter sheared off, and Rich began threatening the others with what was now "a sword," said Nazzaro.

"I'm going to stick you in the (expletive) eye, I'm going to stab you in the liver," Nazzaro said Rich told him.

:stare:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Not exactly a rapier wit, that one.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
The dude didn't mark his ball. I mean, what do you expect to happen?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

UnionCarbide posted:

The fairways and hybrids haven't sold well, that's for sure. But it's mainly due to being a year old.

Sour Grapes
Dec 29, 2002

DoctaFun posted:

I think it has less to do with how well it's selling and more to do with the fact that it's been available for more than 3 weeks. Gotta make room for the next dozen drivers they have on the way, and no one is gonna buy the old stock if its the same price as THE DRIVER THAT ADDS 30 YARDS, CLEANS YOUR BALLS AND GIVES YOU AN HJ ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

Probably also has to do with TM Adidas golf being a huge money pit, staring down a double digit decline on their Q2 report and Dick's blaming dead-weight TM stock for a lot of their financial issues and layoffs.

TL;DR from the report;
- TMAG sales down 18% in Q2, 27% YTD = €236 million decline from first six months of 2013
- TMAG had €120 million negative operating profit hit compared to 2013

Sour Grapes fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 7, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sour Grapes posted:

Probably also has to do with TM Adidas golf being a huge money pit, staring down a double digit decline on their Q2 report and Dick's blaming dead-weight TM stock for a lot of their financial issues and layoffs.

TL;DR from the report;
- TMAG sales down 18% in Q2, 27% YTD = €236 million decline from first six months of 2013
- TMAG had €120 million negative operating profit hit compared to 2013
Fun fact, the CEO of TaylorMade, Mark King, got promoted in June to CEO of Adidas North America. RIP Adidas.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Flipped over from some football just in time to watch Sergio absolutely blow up on 17. Sorry Kameh...

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

BCRock posted:

Flipped over from some football just in time to watch Sergio absolutely blow up on 17. Sorry Kameh...

I've been stuck in traffic. What did he do? Knife his fourth through the green?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kameh posted:

I've been stuck in traffic. What did he do? Knife his fourth through the green?

He was 2 back on 15, and proceeded to triple the par 5 17th!

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Well yeah I saw that on his shot tracker, but I just don't get how he screwed up his 4th shot on that hole so badly.

Edit - Just watched a video of it on pgatour.com. It didn't even look that bad at the beginning, but he knew it was long as soon as he hit it. "Sit!" Sucks. A few years back in the FedExCup playoffs, Vijay beat him in extra holes, then he lost to Camilo Villegas a few weeks later in the championship on the last(?) hole. At least he's hanging around in these playoffs. His form is excellent for the Ryder Cup.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 8, 2014

Sour Grapes
Dec 29, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

Fun fact, the CEO of TaylorMade, Mark King, got promoted in June to CEO of Adidas North America. RIP Adidas.

Big companies like Adidas Group are so board dependent that I doubt he could do any real damage without having his golden parachute activated on him.

Individual business units on the other hand... TMAG announced recently that they were shutting down the Adams facilities and consolidating roles as part of their huge restructuring effort, I would also speculate that they'll make huge cuts in r&d since they state in the quarterly report that their 'innovation pipeline is well stocked'.

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013
I have to believe this has something to do with the Tileist release of the new 915 drivers/fairways over the next month. Supposedly they are pretty good but we will see.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
Does anyone know a decent regimen of stretches to help with upper-body flexibility?
I'm pretty tight up in my shoulders and it's difficult for me to execute a full backswing without my left shoulder lifting my head up away from the ball.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
http://golf.about.com/od/fitnesshealth/ss/warmupstretches.htm

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm just dropping this here, because I'm old enough to remember watching golf on Saturdays with my Grandpa (who taught me to golf) and seeing the very fleeting end of his active career.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-FsBqSOX60

It's a fun watch.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Big Beef City posted:

I'm just dropping this here, because I'm old enough to remember watching golf on Saturdays with my Grandpa (who taught me to golf) and seeing the very fleeting end of his active career.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-FsBqSOX60

It's a fun watch.

Loved watching that, thank you.

Yikes...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/g...af4bff9aecc6c21

quote:

Australian golf legend Greg Norman in hospital after injuring hand in shocking chainsaw accident

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

shark nooooo :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Played in a tournament on Friday and Saturday. It was a super goofy course. I shot a zillion the first day and 76 the second (and it was a bad 76 too). Maybe it was the pressure of playing in a tournament, but I started leaning into my shots and sent off more than a few hosel rockets. At least we didn't finish last haha.

But more importantly,

:pcgaming::pcgaming::pcgaming: I GOT INVITED TO PLAY PEACHTREE GOLF CLUB :pcgaming::pcgaming::pcgaming::pcgaming:

It's about as hard to get on as Augusta, and playing it means that I'll have played every top course in the Atlanta area.

edit: My girlfriend had a hilarious round this weekend. She shot 73 on a course playing about 6400. Best part was the split: 42 on the front......... 31 on the back.

Omerta fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 14, 2014

• Locked thread