Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Where do I use the key I got from the (darkroot garden) Moonlight Butterfly? I don't remember there being a bunch of locked doors in the burg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

evilalien posted:

I think you need to upgrade the blacksmith first.

Ugh, how is this done?

Steven
Sep 15, 2008

Steven posted:

What stats do I need to make my guy flip instead of roll? Some people say you need END, some say DEX. Some people say you need a ring. Does anyone know for sure how to flip? I already put like 30 points into dex and I cant flip I think I ruined my character.

I'm in trouble. Please recommend this message.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Nigulus Rex posted:

You don't get a ring for freeing him. He releases himself if you don't free him and you can proceed as normal. The only thing you get from freeing him is a sun medal thing.
Yeah, you'll find him back in Firelink, by the fire shrine girl (although sometimes he vanishes and reappears later on).

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

Defghanistan posted:

So just curious. I murdered the first merchant that sold arrows (why not, right?) and now cannot find any way to obtain arrows to cut off the tail of the dragon. Note that I dont really need the sword, just feel like cutting off a dragons tail with arrows. Any tips?

Also what's the general opinion about the armor bought in the depths before the vagina dragon? Helm of Wise, Armor of Glorious, Gaulents of Vanquisher, Boots of Explorer? Currently using black leather set + boar helmet.

Lastly I just got dragon kings great axe from the gaping dragon, should I bother buffing my stats to ever use this thing or would that be a waste of time?

Re-asking this. Where does one buy arrows if the merchant is dead?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Cityinthesea posted:

Where do I use the key I got from the (darkroot garden) Moonlight Butterfly? I don't remember there being a bunch of locked doors in the burg.

It opens the tower below the entrance to the Taurus demon fight. If you have the master key you've probably already been in there

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Steven posted:

Last I heard you need over 30 dex...so many 31? Not sure. I'll look in my guide when I get home, assuming someone doesn't answer it by then.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

der juicen posted:

Ugh, how is this done?

You need to find embers. I have no idea where to find one that allows a blacksmith to go past +10 though.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Any sweet hints for the Bell Gargoyle? He just whooped my poo poo so hard (5k souls lost in a boss area :negative: ). Warrior with a halberd.

Pallet Pusher
Nov 9, 2004
Loving the game so far. I was invaded for the first time yesterday, dude looked like he had some real sick armor, all kinds of spikes and a big gently caress off sword. It was intense, I had like 4k souls, only 1 flask left, just making my way to a bonfire to level up when he invaded. Good thing he wasn't very good, he was only able to hit my shield and when he went for a strong 2 handed attack, I rolled behind him and back stabbed him for the kill. Probably the most satisfying kill I've ever had in a video game. Thanks to the 10k souls he gave me, I was able to buy Glorious Armor.

I'm rocking the Drake's Sword, while its awesome, I'm wondering what would be a good upgrade? I may not be far enough in the game to upgrade it, but I'd like to at least have an idea and save materials. I just started Blight Town and I'm lvl 24, my main stats are Strength, Vitality, and Endurance. I have the game guide but it doesn't seem to explain how upgrading weapons works very well. I gave an ember to a blacksmith, but he said I have no weapons for ascension? I have all kinds of different weapons, upgraded and not upgraded. Do I need to upgrade them more and then I can ascend a weapon? I was wanting to add Lightning damage to my Winged Spear and maybe fire to my Drake's if that is possible.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Nigulus Rex posted:

Last I heard you need over 30 dex...so many 31? Not sure. I'll look in my guide when I get home, assuming someone doesn't answer it by then.

Please do, I know there is a ring that gives you ninja flips but I would like to know if dex does it too.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
^^^ people have gone as high as 36 dex and posted that they got no upgraded roll without the item.

Nigulus Rex posted:

No this turned out to be a lie. It's an item that gives you the upgraded roll.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Steven posted:

Not stat related at all, there is a ring that makes your roll a flip and that's the sum of it.

Edit: Augh beaten like the Capra Demon wants everyone to be.

Does anyone know what else you can get from the Gold Bros covenent besides lightning bolt spear and super lightning bolt spear?

I started upgrading my Knight armor and the defense on the main chest piece is surprisingly good gains early--you can get +8 to your defense for like 2000 souls.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Steven posted:

What stats do I need to make my guy flip instead of roll? Some people say you need END, some say DEX. Some people say you need a ring. Does anyone know for sure how to flip? I already put like 30 points into dex and I cant flip I think I ruined my character.

It's from a ring. Your character is not ruined. Just use weapons that use dex to their advantage (spears, rapiers, katanas, daggers, ect) Spend your next few level ups bringing up your endurance and vitality.

Steven
Sep 15, 2008
Thanks y'all. Where do I get that ring?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
For those of you wanting some PVP action, i'd suggest trying to invade in the forest area behind the sealed door. Everytime i'm human form there it only takes a minute or two before i'm invaded. I lost twice...once because I got double invaded and the second time because I had an add on me the whole fight. Was still fun though!

Pallet Pusher
Nov 9, 2004

Foxhound posted:

Any sweet hints for the Bell Gargoyle? He just whooped my poo poo so hard (5k souls lost in a boss area :negative: ). Warrior with a halberd.

Watch videos on youtube. Tips I can think of off hand, use the angle of the roof to your advantage. Use it to get under his swings. I found keeping distance made the fight harder, so I crowded them at the feet, became much easier to dodge attacks. Become human and summon an NPC or another player to help. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned you can position the 1st gargoyle so the 2nd one comes out and burns the 1st one to death, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Phonics
Apr 6, 2009

by XyloJW

DeathSandwich posted:

Flick it and attack at the same time.

Thanks but I can't seem to pull them off constantly. Maybe 1 out of 10 times the kick comes out and I don't know what I'm doing right / wrong.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

bewilderment posted:

People occasionally kill/attack NPCs by accident because the PS3 controller is semi-badly designed and if you put the controller down in a certain way you might hit the trigger. Since the safest place to put down your controller and go answer the phone/use the bathroom/whatever is usually near a friendly NPC, this has a higher chance of happening than you'd expect.

You can press Start to open the minimenu. This prevents attacking even if it doesn't pause the game.

Or buy some RealTriggers (Amazon).

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

Defghanistan posted:

Re-asking this. Where does one buy arrows if the merchant is dead?

Arrows- need arrows. Any tips? Merchant is dead. You know there's enough goddamn bows in this game as drops to equip a Roman army, but my god no arrows.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What's a good two handed sword to use? I've not been lucky enough to get a dark knight sword - which I want - but aside from that, what's a good one to use with a shield as a pyromancer? With that, which ascension is good for it?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Are you given a warning prior to ditching a covenant? I've made enough mistakes with my first character to just say gently caress it, so I went back to Firelink Shrine and (accidentally learned Sorcery, then) learned Pyromancy. I was a member of a covenant prior to this -- did I ditch? It didn't say anything about leaving my current covenant.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

katkillad2 posted:

For those of you wanting some PVP action, i'd suggest trying to invade in the forest area behind the sealed door. Everytime i'm human form there it only takes a minute or two before i'm invaded. I lost twice...once because I got double invaded and the second time because I had an add on me the whole fight. Was still fun though!
I believe this section of the game is basically the Old Monk of Demons Souls.

There's a covenant at work that people have joined which obligates them to be summoned to that section of the forest when trespassers enter.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Defghanistan posted:

Arrows- need arrows. Any tips? Merchant is dead. You know there's enough goddamn bows in this game as drops to equip a Roman army, but my god no arrows.

Once you open up the shortcut between the main hub and the sewers there is a mechant that sells fire and poison arrows you can access easily, that might get kind of expensive.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Defghanistan posted:

When you unlock the sewer shortcut in the burb to the lower city there will be a vendor that sells fire/poison arrows for 50ish souls a pop.

Barring that, another vendor sells regular arrows at ohh.... sen's fortress which you will not see for quite a while.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Well..that was an adventure :stare:

Just stumbled onto the gaping dragon in the depths..I saw a litte lizard head pop up out of the water...then the rest of it. It loving *flattened* me. The Depths themselves were a loving breeze. When everyone was saying how dangerous the frogs were, I was expecting a dick destroying armoured hell amphibians. What I got was a bug eyed little scamps who couldn't do poo poo to me because I got the curse resist ring from the ruins of londo.

So how do you get to blighttown? through which area is it?

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
I just killed the giant butterfly. Why is this tree floating around?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

enojy posted:

Are you given a warning prior to ditching a covenant? I've made enough mistakes with my first character to just say gently caress it, so I went back to Firelink Shrine and (accidentally learned Sorcery, then) learned Pyromancy. I was a member of a covenant prior to this -- did I ditch? It didn't say anything about leaving my current covenant.
Not all trainers are covenant bound I believe. In fact I think only the miracle one at the start, and a later witch character are actual covenants. I might be mistaken since I haven't messed with that part of the game extensively myself.

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.
Welp.

My head just turned into an eggsack. how do I get rid of this?

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!
I'm seeing people mention upgrading their weapons to an Elemental weapon or something. Is this something that's explained in the game, or if not, is there a post that explains it?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Tobias Grant posted:

Welp.

My head just turned into an eggsack. how do I get rid of this?

You need an Egg Vermisac (sp?) It's a semi-rare drop from any egg-bearing peon, or you can buy them from the Chaos servant. The first one was free for me, 5000 souls a piece after that.

The info regarding egghead so far: It saps 50% of your souls obtained to grow, and eventually hatch. I killed Ceaseless Discharge with an egg on my head, and while I should've got 10,000 souls, I only got 5,000. When it hatches, you pull an Alien (movie) and your kick animation turns into something else. You can supposedly turn in a hatched egghead for a Dragon Shard (or whatever it is that upgrades dragon weapons.)

enojy fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 7, 2011

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.

enojy posted:

You need an Egg Vermisac (sp?) It's a semi-rare drop from any egg-bearing peon, or you can buy them from the Chaos servant. The first one was free for me, 5000 souls a piece after that.

Well, at least there's a bunch of them near a bonfire. time to get grinding.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

:stare: that giant loving hydra, holy poo poo.

Is there any way to fight that thing? I mean, I know you -can-, but at level 25 is it even worth trying?

Jzmisgoo
Sep 15, 2007

Jzm IS goo!!
So I killed the Blighttown boss and the bigass fire boss after her. what is the next logical step afterwards?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Do Pyromancy spells scale, at all, with Intelligence or just from upgrading the catalyst? My friend tells me that he see people saying that the intelligence benefit only effects the catalyst damage itself. If spell damage does scale from the intelligence stat then why are people saying it doesn't and intelligence only effects the catalyst damage (melee attack)?

I think they start to scale once you begin upgrading your flame.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
Where the gently caress do I go after ringing the bell in the church?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Speaking of spells, I just started a pyromancer, and I heard you could equip spells multiple times to get more uses, but I can't figure out how. I have four slots, fireball goes in one and it won't let me put the spell in multiple slots. Is it only certain spells that'll do this?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
So I'm having HUGE trouble with a boss, and I don't want to grind because that's sort of cheating.

What weapon should I level up at the moment? The contenders (I am level 17/18, str 13 dex 19) are:

Halberd (decent but a bit slow)
winged spear at l3 (not as great as I remember from DS, takes too much stamina to use)
claymore, l3 (fairly good but slow)
estoc l2 (winged spear replacement, can hit 5 times with my 14 endurance)
scimitar (no stunlock at all so maybe not)
mace (a bit slow

None of these weapons are great, and the drake sword is not as good as the claymore with magic weaponI'm making sure that I'm not over encumbered.

Just for fun I tried heavy armour, I found some in the forest and it didn't make a massive difference, so it's not worth it. This probably means that levelling up armour is not really worth it either.

Alternatively, should I (where to go, after bell 1) go to the forest instead of the boss I'm trying against?

No Vs boss tips please! I want to try to do this by myself

edit: apparently I should spend some time levelling up my shield, according to this thread. Sounds like a plan, I just need to figure out where to grind. Tips?

redreader fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 7, 2011

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Salsa McManus posted:

Where the gently caress do I go after ringing the bell in the church?

As I recall, you can go down an elevator back to the firelink and I think you picked up a key that'll open a door down to the lower city where you can fight bandits, monster dogs and the Capra Demon. Go back to the bridge with the dragon and four hollows and then unlock the door you couldn't open before, near where Solaire is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
If you wanna really make Undead Burg a lot easier, go down the stairs when you leave the Tutorial area (Firelink Shrine) and head down the elevator. You'll be in a dark area full of zombies, there's an Estoc somewhere around here (not hard to find, but I can't remember the exact location.) The Estoc's thrusting attack is great in narrow corridors and you can attack while guarding, which trivializes the shield zombies.

• Locked thread