Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

Brother Scrotum posted:

What's the verdict so far? Worth it yet?

I like Nintendo games, but if the controller gimmicks get in the way of actual game play like they did with the Wii, I think I'll pass.

The system was going to be a day 1 purchase for me along with the Mario game and a pro controller but the main idea for my home was to play Mario with my wife. But id need to fork up another $80 for 2 wii remotes. We sold all our wii products last year. That plus the various issues people are having from bad framerates in games, to short gamepad battery life to erratic network functionality ill pass for now. I realize some of this is simply new console growing pains but i definitely not dying to play one like i was a week ago. Im sure ill get a wiiu at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Brother Scrotum posted:

What's the verdict so far? Worth it yet?

I like Nintendo games, but if the controller gimmicks get in the way of actual game play like they did with the Wii, I think I'll pass.

You might want to hold off on getting the system. A lot of people are reporting a ton of problems with the system and the games on it. Wait till they (hopefully) ironed out the kinks, and there's more worthwhile, not buggy games, to buy.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

orborborb posted:

My gamepad loses connection constantly, none of the games requiring you to move it are playable. This is about 4-6 feet from the base unit, and happens at both my house and a friend's house, so I either need a new system or we both need to move to new locations with less RF interference. In either case though I would think there'd be more people complaining about this and I can't find anything.

I had this problem the other night playing with the camera when sitting at my desk with the console 2ft away at most. Dunno what sort of signal the gamepad uses for drawing video from the console but something was interfering with it. Or the hardware is just lovely like that.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
How am I triggering the original Mario music for when you hit the flag pole?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

SyRauk posted:

How am I triggering the original Mario music for when you hit the flag pole?

Going from a video, you should jump on the pole when your timer is in the double digits (#11, #22, #33, etc. etc.).

orborborb
Jan 20, 2004

Republicans posted:

I had this problem the other night playing with the camera when sitting at my desk with the console 2ft away at most. Dunno what sort of signal the gamepad uses for drawing video from the console but something was interfering with it. Or the hardware is just lovely like that.

Hooked it up back at my place again and its working perfectly of course. Looks like the Gamepad uses 5ghz, maybe all of us had neighbors streaming a bunch of poo poo on their 5ghz wifi routers?

Now playing ZombiU I'm annoyed that the blacks are all washed out, seems there's no option like the ps3 and 360 have to send the full 0-255 color range.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

The upside to there being a defect problem with Wii U is that I can search for Wii U blinking light on youtube then sort by date to try and find angry people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o390P6_Eq_Q The fire special effect lets you know he is serious.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Does everyone else's gamepad rattle in the right-hand side when they move it around? I just now noticed it.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

I don't know why I didn't preorder this or stand in line. I always say I don't really care about consoles. And for the most part that's fully true, PC games all the way. But loving nintendo first party stuff is in my blood, I should have known that I could not stand by while a HD version of a mario game mashed up of my favorite parts of the old ones was available.

So now I wonder how long it will take for me to find one in local stores without just ordering it online. I live in a pretty urban area so there aren't exactly "low traffic" electronics stores.

orborborb
Jan 20, 2004

Republicans posted:

Does everyone else's gamepad rattle in the right-hand side when they move it around? I just now noticed it.

that's the ABXY buttons

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

At this point, my only stand-out grievance is the lack of a way to calibrate sound synchronization. A lot of the time the Gamepad and TV will both be playing the same audio, or sometimes two distinct tracks that are meant to sync up and harmonize, and my TV has just enough audio lag to make that sound awful.

This probably has a lot to do with my TV being a relatively crap brand, but it'd be nice to be able to tweak, and my only workaround right now is to switch to component so I can run the audio separately into some speakers.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

orborborb posted:

that's the ABXY buttons

There's still something inside rattling around even when I hold all the buttons down. Hopefully it's nothing and not some indication that something important inside is gonna break.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sorry if this has been asked and answered.
Can you get audio out through the AV slot while getting video over HDMI?

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Teenage Fansub posted:

You can't.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Xenomorph posted:

I don't even know how to adjust the brightness. I checked settings and only saw where to calibrate the screen. :ohdear:

It's too distracting. When playing Mario, the same thing is happening in both screens. Why? That is a constant drain of already pathetic battery life.

* Hit Home -> Screen off. Within minutes, something happens that kicks the screen back on.

* Pick up a Wiimote, turn off the GamePad screen, and start doing stuff. Within minutes, something happens and it says "please look at the GamePad screen". So you have to set the Wiimote down and go back to the GamePad.

* Used Netflix? It disables the Wiimote and keeps the screen on the GamePad on during the entire movie. This finally caused my GamePad to shut off (the battery light turned red and then started blinking). And when that happened, playback stopped (since the Wii U lost communication with the GamePad). The GamePad *NEEDS* to be on with Netflix, as the Wiimotes are disabled during playback.
You have to leave the GamePad on its charger and throw a towel over the screen or something so the screen doesn't distract you from the movie.

Nintendo is like Apple in the way it decides to "do its own thing" with how stuff works on its hardware/software. Unfortunately, Nintendo's logic doesn't make any loving sense. From friendcodes, to hardware-tied purchases, to virtual non-existent storage, to "always on" controller that gets 2 hours of battery life. Who greenlights anything they do? Their games are fun, but their hardware and services make me sick.

You change the brightness where you turn the screen off in the home menu - Home > Controller Settings > Settings button under Wii U GamePad

It also states quite clearly when you turn the display off that if you push any button on the game pad it will turn the screen back on. Probably something they will address in a fw update. Would seem smarter to make it only turn on if you hit home or a button combo.

Edit: also am I nuts or does the pro controller not have vibration?

flyboi fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Nov 19, 2012

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lork posted:

You can't.

gently caress. I use that Playstation monitor which has awful speakers and only outputs through a distorted headphone jack.

edit: Guess I could just use good headphones through the pad.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

flyboi posted:

Edit: also am I nuts or does the pro controller not have vibration?

For a while I was wondering if I had a bum Gamepad with no vibration, but eventually found that it would vibrate in parts of NSMBU. I don't have a Pro yet, but it's probably similar; there just aren't as many contexts that cause vibration compared to remotes, which buzz all the time for things like menu options.

The Gamepad doesn't even vibrate in the options menu when you're selecting to turn vibration on, which you'd think it would.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Nov 19, 2012

Shadowfyst
Jun 8, 2003

I have an extra Club Nintendo code for Flingsmash here. First pm gets it.

Edit - taken

Shadowfyst fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Nov 19, 2012

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Supercar Gautier posted:

For a while I was wondering if I had a bum Gamepad with no vibration, but eventually found that it would vibrate in parts of NSMBU. I don't have a Pro yet, but it's probably similar; there just aren't as many contexts that cause vibration compared to remotes, which buzz all the time for things like menu options.

The Gamepad doesn't even vibrate in the options menu when you're selecting to turn vibration on, which you'd think it would.

Well in Warriors Orochi 3 the game pad goes nuts vibrating but I can't remember if the pro controller did at all. I guess I'll have to play a level and figure it out.

Edit: I'm an idiot. Somehow the rumble was disabled in WO3 on my pro pad. It rumbles very nicely.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Nov 19, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

flyboi posted:

Well in Warriors Orochi 3 the game pad goes nuts vibrating but I can't remember if the pro controller did at all. I guess I'll have to play a level and figure it out.

Edit: I'm an idiot. Somehow the rumble was disabled in WO3 on my pro pad. It rumbles very nicely.

When you sink enough time into it, do you think you could do a trip report about WO3 Hyper here or in the Warriors thread? I never got WO3 on PS3 so I'm kind of considering it but I'd like to know more.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Policenaut posted:

When you sink enough time into it, do you think you could do a trip report about WO3 Hyper here or in the Warriors thread? I never got WO3 on PS3 so I'm kind of considering it but I'd like to know more.

Yeah can do.

So I guess a lot of people didn't even know this was possible but it's poo poo like this that really impresses me about the Wii U. I just wish the gamepad had a little more distance capabilities because it stutters in my bed room which is ~30 feet away from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyg1PIg79fg

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"
I really want to pick one of these up despite knowing I won't be able to pick up US games.

So with everyone marveling about how they can play games on the gamepad while walking around the house... wouldn't it have made more sense to sell a awesome tablet that could dock to the TV instead? I get why they went with a budget design for the controller... kinda. But I'm just not really enthralled carrying games only 20 feet away. Especially because my apartment is small, why not just go back to my TV? If the tablet itself was the system instead, that would be mind blowing. I would take it everywhere. I'd be gaming constantly, and then BAM, up on the main screen when I'm home. It could just be a sensor bar with an HDMI cable and dock essentially.

Everything I'm hearing about the games themselves sounds great. And I'll be picking one up for Nintendo software alone. But every time I hear about how it can mirror the display on the tablet in your home, I immediately stop caring because I simply have no need for this feature at all, and it just means they have decided to make the gamepad irrelevant to me. While it's sorta neat it feels like a massive waste to just mirror the same image there when it could serve other gameplay functions. Sadly though, by making this a primary purpose for the gamepad already, they've sort of set the precedent for what we'll likely see from all 3rd party ports moving forward. It'll either just duplicate the screen, and be the exact same as on 360 or PS3, or it will let you see the menu ALL the time instead of when you press start, and otherwise be the exact same as 360 or PS3.

The whole situation does however make me feel like Sony should be damned ashamed for introducing the concept of Remote Play over 5 years ago, over two handheld devices, and then proceeded to do absolutely NOTHING with it, only to have it be a core feature of the Wii U and a huge selling point. So props to Nintendo for that. A little different because it only works within range, but still, it's enough that the concept is the same.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I decided to hold off on buying the system till the library has a handful of must have exclusives. For the time being, I borrowed my friends Wii console, Mario Kart, Super Mario Galaxy, and Xenoblade Chronicles.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

ChocNitty posted:

I decided to hold off on buying the system till the library has a handful of must have exclusives. For the time being, I borrowed my friends Wii console, Mario Kart, Super Mario Galaxy, and Xenoblade Chronicles.

Yea I'm in the EU slot, and don't have a 3DS yet, I wonder if it wouldn't be a good time to buy one of those XL ones. The library is a bit better from launch, think I might see more action out of the 3DS until Monster Hunter arrives till March.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Lork posted:

You can't.

Well, that's a stick in the spokes for my setup.

It can be circumvented if the right HDMI switch is found, one that splits the audio signals away to anything, even a headphone socket, and adds not a single frame of latency to the visuals.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Do the Wii games look any better at all using HDMI instead of the Wii's component output?

I know the Wii U doesn't upscale the older games but I am hoping the HDMI (digital) connection does show some improvements ...

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Vinlaen posted:

Do the Wii games look any better at all using HDMI instead of the Wii's component output?

I know the Wii U doesn't upscale the older games but I am hoping the HDMI (digital) connection does show some improvements ...

I haven't seen it yet but from what I hear not really.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Well, at least this blinking light thing seems to be something you see right away (for now). I played a few hours last night at different times and everything worked fine.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Well, if Nintendo has succeeded at anything, they've revived my interest in going back and playing all the Wii games I missed. Stopping by Gamestop today to see if I can get my hands on TP/Skyward sword and maybe Xenoblade or Last Story.

Played a little more this morning and the system is just a lot of fun (at least with the software that was made for it). If I walk away with 5 years of quality first-party titles and exclusives then I'll judge my investment sound.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

skywalker6705 posted:

The whole situation does however make me feel like Sony should be damned ashamed for introducing the concept of Remote Play over 5 years ago, over two handheld devices, and then proceeded to do absolutely NOTHING with it, only to have it be a core feature of the Wii U and a huge selling point.

Have you ever used Remote Play? It's really not good. You can't play a lot of games on it because they're so laggy.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

VanillaGorilla posted:

Well, if Nintendo has succeeded at anything, they've revived my interest in going back and playing all the Wii games I missed. Stopping by Gamestop today to see if I can get my hands on TP/Skyward sword and maybe Xenoblade or Last Story.

Played a little more this morning and the system is just a lot of fun (at least with the software that was made for it). If I walk away with 5 years of quality first-party titles and exclusives then I'll judge my investment sound.

I'm not sure if Gamestop has something similar going on, but Toys R Us is running a "Buy one get 40% off" sale on all Wii U and Wii games. I grabbed Skyward Sword and Flingsmash (which comes with the Wii Motion Plus) for a total of $44 before shipping.

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007
Is there a way to take screenshots in game and post them in the Miiverse community for the game? If yes, how the hell do you do it?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
The controller rattling is the stylus. I didn't even know this had a stylus. Cool.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Have you ever used Remote Play? It's really not good. You can't play a lot of games on it because they're so laggy.

Oh I know, that's why I think Sony dropped the ball. Local network Remote Play is okay on some titles, but overall it just didn't get the attention it needed at all. It apparently works practically lagless with the Vita though, which makes me think at least part of the problem with lag was the PSP being on wireless B.

The real problem was not making it a system wide feature. To date only like 10 PS3 games opted to use it. So again, Sony dropped the ball here, and now this is Nintendo's shining feature, and they do it better by far.

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012

WaffleStomp posted:

Is there a way to take screenshots in game and post them in the Miiverse community for the game? If yes, how the hell do you do it?

When you hit home and go to the miiverse to post whatever was being displayed on the controller and screen at the time will be what you can post as screenshots.

I don't know the details yet since mine won't arrive till the 30th but anywhere you can post a screenshot that's how it should work.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

skywalker6705 posted:

Oh I know, that's why I think Sony dropped the ball. Local network Remote Play is okay on some titles, but overall it just didn't get the attention it needed at all. It apparently works practically lagless with the Vita though, which makes me think at least part of the problem with lag was the PSP being on wireless B.

The real problem was not making it a system wide feature. To date only like 10 PS3 games opted to use it. So again, Sony dropped the ball here, and now this is Nintendo's shining feature, and they do it better by far.

PSP also lacked a second set of L and R buttons and a second analog stick. In most cases it was basically impossible to do without some really convoluted control scheme that would be unfun to play as opposed to just playing on a TV.

They didnt really intend it to work, originally. It was a bug in Lair that was an amusing novelty.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Republicans posted:

There's still something inside rattling around even when I hold all the buttons down. Hopefully it's nothing and not some indication that something important inside is gonna break.

You found the delicious candy!

Xenomorph posted:

I don't even know how to adjust the brightness. I checked settings and only saw where to calibrate the screen. :ohdear:

Hit Home, then "controller settings" in on the lower left, pick the gamepad, and you can change the brightness, turn on power-saving, and turn off the rumble feature. You can also pair wiimotes here as well.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

PSP also lacked a second set of L and R buttons and a second analog stick. In most cases it was basically impossible to do without some really convoluted control scheme that would be unfun to play as opposed to just playing on a TV.

They didnt really intend it to work, originally. It was a bug in Lair that was an amusing novelty.

There are number of other games it actually works with, but ultimately a lack of support pretty much across the board made it a moot point. Maybe Sony will see the wisdom of the Wii U in their PS4 and make it a system feature for all software on that console. Anyways, point made, Wii U is better at this, the horse is dead.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Nintendo: MiiVerse admin security breach a hoax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

A development mockup and a hoax are two different things. The user actually found the menu, and yes, it did actually contain these entries. However Nintendo is claiming it was just a mockup menu for interface testing purposes, and remotely disabled it shortly afterwards, and tweeted about it.

What part of this was a hoax?

• Locked thread